• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thinking of buying a new car WITHOUT Anti-lock brakes. Come on in and call me crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

I drive a car built in 1969, I have never has an accident that was my fault, I have never had a ticket etc. However, if there was a kit to retrofit ABS cheaply, I would do it. Because if I had ABS I would have been able to avoid the accident that wasn't my fault. And just in case Fido, or little Johnny runs out in front of my car I would like to have the best chance possible of slowing and steering to avoid them, rather than locking the brakes in a panic stop.

Juice

Fuzzy said:
Have you tried going to a different dealership and negotiating from scratch? I used to work at a Chevy dealership and one of my co-workers bought a Venture (mini van) right before retiring and the "employee price" he was offered was more expensive than what he ended up paying for at a different dealership by just walking in and negotiating. The best part was that the van he bought at the other dealership came from ours. :lol

I appreciate it, and this is definitely sometimes true (e.g. every plan is different), however for the options I'm getting, each model I'm considering is coming in at least $2500 below the Edmunds Total Market Value, which I consider to be a decent benchmark of this, given that (1) I'm not a smooth operator and (2) I don't have much time to devote shopping it around.

Zhuk

Banned
Get the Fusion and get the ABS, if you get a car in 2009 without ABS you're making a poor investment.

It's like getting a radio that can't play FM.

Buttchin

Burger said:
Well that's just a bold faced lie.

*Airbags usually kill people when said occupant is not wearing a seat belt, and the airbag does its best to save the occupant by altering inflation parameters. The statistics do not say whether or not flying head first through a window into oncoming traffic would have been a better alternative.

i think there was sarcasm in the original statement. In the "well if you arent interested in ABS we have this car without airbags as well you might be interested in"

J-Rzez

ABS on certain models can actually be very distracting in feeling. Some are too intrusive as well, doing it's thing before needed and it may make you jumpy once that pedal gets all funky. ABS in snow has come a long way, but it still has it's good and bad moments. It's all in the braking system, and the amount of tuning time put into it. And my guess is that it's not going to be all that hot in that focus.

Also... why are you going with a Ford Focus? Surely there's other stuff in that budget range that you'd be better off with. Those cars are junk. You'd be better off with a stripped down Mazda 3 or something that's not a car made by GM or whatever is left of Chrysler.

You also realize your insurance will be more expensive w/o ABS right? Stop being a cheapass, it's going to cost you more mostly likely in the long run due to insurance not to mention it's safer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom