• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This is what happens to your pets at animal shelters (disturbing pic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
*WARNING: Graphic Picture*

This was on Tri-Cities Craigslist. I wish I knew who the shelter manger was who posted this, this is the most commendable thing I have ever witnessed and this person is amazing. When you surrender your best friend to the shelter go ahead and think it won't happen to them. But now you know better. And don't go out and get another one, if you cared so little to do it once you will do it again.

Please Please Read This
BEFORE you breed dogs in your back yard!
BEFORE you take them to the POUND (USA)

I think our society needs a huge "Wake-up" call.

As a shelter manager, I am going to share a little insight with you all...a view from the inside if you will.

First off, all of you people who have ever surrendered a pet to a shelter or humane society should be made to work in the "back" of an animal shelter for just one day. Maybe if you saw the life drain from a few sad, lost, confused eyes, you would stop flagging the ads on Craigslist and help these animals find homes. That puppy you just bought will most likely end up in my shelter when it's not a cute little puppy anymore. Just so you know there's a 90% chance that dog will never walk out of the shelter it's dumped at? Purebred or not! About 25% of all of the dogs that are "owner surrenders" or "strays", that come into a shelter are purebred dogs.

The most common excuses: "We are moving and we can't take our dog (or cat)." Really? Where are you moving too that doesn't allow pets? Or they say, "The dog got bigger than we thought it would". How big did you think a German Shepherd would get? "We don't have time for her". Really? I work a 10-12 hour day and still have time for my 6 dogs! "She's tearing up our yard". How about making her a part of your family? They always tell me, "We just don't want to have to stress about finding a place for her. We know she'll get adopted, she's a good dog".

Odds are your pet won't get adopted & how stressful do you think being in a shelter is? Well, let me tell you, your pet has 72 hours to find a new family from the moment you drop it off. Sometimes a little longer if the shelter isn't full and your dog manages to stay completely healthy. If it sniffles, it dies. Your pet will be confined to a small run/kennel in a room with other barking or crying animals. It will have to relieve itself where it eats and sleeps. It will be depressed and it will cry constantly for the family that abandoned it. If your pet is lucky, I will have enough volunteers in that day to take him/her for a walk. If I don't, your pet won't get any attention besides having a bowl of food slid under the kennel door and the waste sprayed out of its pen with a high-powered hose.

If your dog is big, black or any of the "Bully" breeds (pit bull, rottie, mastiff, etc) it was pretty much dead when you walked it through the front door. Those dogs just don't get adopted. It doesn't matter how 'sweet' or 'well behaved' they are.

If your dog doesn't get adopted within its 72 hours and the shelter is full in most cases, it will be destroyed. If the shelter isn't full and your dog is good enough, and of a desirable enough breed it may get a stay of execution, but not for long. Most dogs get very kennel protective after about a week, and are destroyed for showing aggression. Even the sweetest dogs will turn in this environment. If your pet makes it over all of those hurdles, chances are it will get kennel cough or an upper respiratory infection and will be destroyed because the shelter gets paid a fee to euthanize each animal, and making money is better than spending money to take this animal to the vet.

Here's a little euthanasia 101 for those of you that have never witnessed a perfectly healthy, scared animal being "put-down".

First, your pet will be taken from its kennel on a leash. They always look like they think they are going for a walk happy, wagging their tails. Until they get to "The Room", every one of them freaks out and puts on the brakes when we get to the door. It must smell like death or they can feel the sad souls that are left in there, it's strange, but it happens with every one of them.

When it all ends, your pet's corpse will be stacked like firewood in a large freezer in the back with all of the other animals that were killed, waiting to be picked up like garbage.

What happens next? Cremated? Taken to the dump? Rendered into pet food? Or used for the schools to dissect and experiment on? You'll never know and it probably won't even cross your mind. It was just an animal and you can always buy another one, right?

I hope that those of you who still have a beating heart and have read this are bawling your eyes out and can't get the pictures out of your head, I deal with this everyday.

I hate my job, I hate that it exists & I hate that it will always be there unless you people make some changes and start educating the public.

Do research, do your homework, and know exactly what you are getting into before getting a pet.

These shelters and humane societies exist because people just do not care about animals anymore. Animals were not intended to be disposable but somehow that is what they are these days.

Animal shelters are an easy way out when you get tired of your dog (or cat), and breeders are the ones blamed for this. Animal shelters and rescue organizations are making a hefty profit by keeping this misconception going.

Between 9 and 11 MILLION animals die every year in shelters (Humane Society of the United States estimates 3-4 million) and only you - as a pet owner can stop it. I just hope I maybe changed one persons mind about taking their dog to a shelter, a humane society, or buying a dog without researching. For those of you that care--- please re-post this to at least one other Craigslist in another city/state. Let's see if we can get this all around the US and have an impact.

THINK before your selfishness begins to take over.

1148931_10151763142979146_1607392829_n.jpg

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Where are the disturbing pictures?

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
I dropped a problem pet off at the shelter recently and now I feel horrible :(

Wiktor

I don't get it how american shelters can work like this. I mean..wtf? What's the point of their existence is they euthanize the animals.

mackattk

I can hardly even make it through the article.. I am about halfway through it and I need a break now. Fuck I don't need to read this or look at any pictures :(

Wait, shelters get paid to euthanize animals???

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
"This is what happens to your pets at animal shelters"

At this point it isn't their pet. For a second there I thought you meant animal inn or something.

marrec

Banned
So, what's the solution then? Let the cat go out on the street?

Oh! I know, prejudge those who took their cat to the shelter!

"If you couldn't take care of it then you're a HORRIBLE PERSON!"

That leaves little room for them to have a good reason to take the cat to a shelter AND allows me to feel morally superior to those who've had things happen in their lives unexpectedly.

Whew, thank god I solved that moral crisis. *superior feeling*

Pastry

Banned
I had a dream I adopted/found a second dog last night. Unfortunately I can't get a second dog until I move out of my place :(

Aiii

So not worth it
I can't for the life of me imagine a scenario where I would leave my cat, I love the little one, just couldn't do it.

I got her at four though, and I will continue to adopt older cats in the future I think instead of getting a kitten. This only reinforces that that's the best thing to do.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Fuck me, I wasn't ready for that pic

we released a cat we got at a farm once. the farm has like 12 cats at any given time (or more)

we've adopted 2 cats from the local shelter but they don't kill animals, or at least they say they don't. they will turn animals away.

the cats are there for weeks i can tell you that much. i don't know anything about the dogs as I would never get a dog from a shelter

pestul

That pic is absolutely insane.. but it really needs to be seen. I'm hoping this was after a build up and not a regular amount culled. That many once a week would be horrifying.

Wiktor

So, what's the solution then? Let the cat go out on the street?

In this case? Release it or find it a new home.

Or be a man and kill it yourself, instead of letting shelter do it just so you can have a false sense of morality.

Mook1e

I move often and I've always found homes for my pets when I had to.
Besides that, I'm not very choked up about it.
I don't burst into tears when it's time to eat breakfast, lunch, or dinner, and I know each of these animals have been selected for domestication for a purpose. The animals serve their purpose and them we dispose of them one way or another after between 5 and 20 years. It's going to happen. Unless you want an animal for life, then get a tortoise or something.
That's not to say it's not a shame that people waste these animals by their poor decisions.
I've been to shelters and I know them for what they are. The last stop.
Sure, dogs and cats are "cuter" to me than pigs, cows, and chickens, but they're all animals.
And yes, I've eaten them all (although it was civet cat)

marrec

Banned
In this case? Release it or find it a new home.

Or be a man and kill it yourself, instead of letting shelter do it just so you can have a false sense of morality.

Who's the say the new home would take care of the cat? You release it and it'll get hit by a car. Sometimes there isn't a clean solution. Sometimes you have to do your best by the cat and that's taking it somewhere that it has a decent chance of survival.

There are, despite this unsourced OP, no-kill shelters that only take in animals when they can.

The best thing you can do to stop shit like what happened in that picture is to spay and neuter your pets. Overpopulation is the problem.

Goldrush

I don't fault the animal shelter at all. They're stuck in a no-win situation. Had to do some work for a animal shelter before where I had to look at some operational statistics. Even as just plain numbers, it's horrifying. When my relative took a cat to the shelter because it shed and grew out of its kitty phase, I stopped by the same day and adopted it for myself despite having 2 already. Even though the cat wasn't "my problem," I knew I would be consumed with guilt if I didn't.

Zoe

So? Just keep them in shelters indefinitely or sterilize then and then release them. I mean Jesus fuck, countries that are dirty poor compared to USA don't have shelters like those. American shelters aren't shelters, just death farms.

Release them? So the cats can destroy local ecosystems? So aggressive dogs can form packs and terrorize neighborhoods? So in a week they can come right back to where they started because animal control had to pick them up?

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Pet overpopulation is bad. These places don't have unlimited space/food.
Sadly.... this. I blaime the people that take a pet only to realize after a few weeks/months that they can't handle it and then ditch the poor thing to a shelter. Think twice about what you do people...

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Who's the say the new home would take care of the cat? You release it and it'll get hit by a car. Sometimes there isn't a clean solution. Sometimes you have to do your best by the cat and that's taking it somewhere that it has a decent chance of survival.

There are, despite this unsourced OP, no-kill shelters that only take in animals when they can.

The best thing you can do to stop shit like what happened in that picture is to spay and neuter your pets. Overpopulation is the problem.

Doesn't stop commercial breeding. Which is the biggest factor contributing to overpopulation I'd imagine

Release them? So the cats can destroy local ecosystems? So aggressive dogs can form packs and terrorize neighborhoods? So in a week they can come right back to where they started because animal control had to pick them up?
It boggles me that sine people don't grasp this. Don't forget the potential to spread disease, including rabies. You can attribute human injury and even death if euthanizing were to stop.

The shelter I'd there to give the animals one last chance at adoption. Sometimes,a person or organization is altruistic enough to sponsor the animal so they can be jerks longer it have their fees (to cover vaccinations) waived.

But once their time is up, that's it. And yet,I still see do many macho guys walk around with their unneutered dog around, or good knows how many well intentioned cat hoarders there are. THAT'S the irresponsible party to blame for this.

Rich!

Looks like they're being shipped to Belize.

I love cats (dogs...just a bit). That image brings the feels.

Sarcasm

I don't get it how american shelters can work like this. I mean..wtf? What's the point of their existence is they euthanize the animals.

Not trying to justify this but here in Taiwan they don't do this.

Guess how many frakin packs of dogs are here? Seriously....they are all over.

Rich!

Just releasing cats would decimate bird populations.

If it means less sodding pigeons then that's a good thing. Then release the dogs when the cats get out of hand. And of course, then release the lions to reduce the dog population

flawless.

braves01

Banned
If it means less sodding pigeons then that's a good thing. Then release the dogs when the cats get out of hand. And of course, then release the lions to reduce the dog population

flawless.

Unfortunately it would also mean less of the pretty birds people like to see in their backyards.

This is a case of overpopulation and not enough resources. As to the treatment of animals that shelters euthanize (or kill, or terminate, whatever language a reader deems appropriate), I'm not sure how to respond...it's sad to see something snuffed out simply because an arbitrary time is up. It's also unnecessary in my opinion.

Neuter/spay your pets unless you plan to breed, people. And if you plan to breed and sell your pups/kittens, please try to screen to ensure that they go to a good home, leaving the door open for a return if the buyers can't manage the animal. I know it sounds like it's lots of work, but it should be. It's a live/lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom