• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This month sucks…money wise for me.

cormack12

Gold Member
Blinking Season 4 GIF by The Simpsons

Puscifer

At least you can afford it. Most Americans don’t have $1000 to cover an emergency
I'll never forget the month I had 18K in emergencies happen between medical, car and house. That was the month I realized just how good I handled something that would've sent people into crippling debt or bankruptcy

I went to McDonald’s today to get a medium 2 cheese burger meal and that thing costed $8.40. That thing used to cost 3.02 then 4.02. It’s McDonalds, it should be dirt cheap. So if that costs a lot, imagine anything else.

Anyway I just drove off, fuck that I’ll go make a sandwich or eat some fucking cereal.

Last edited:
I just spent $2900 on putting up a 60' privacy fence. Hate that I had to do that, but glad to have it done. Next big project is to get my backyard releveled and appropriate for a 4 year old's birthday party in July. I expect that to cost at least $4.5k or so. I'm not looking forward to that.

Yeah I feel you, man. Recently my dog had a health emergency, bam 2k. Then my sons daycare goes out business so we had to scramble to find a new place and drop a couple thousand on fees and shit. New brakes on the van. Etc. etc. etc. And it’s only March lol.

You aren’t alone. Hang in there.

I feel this so much. I had a job offer that kind of popped up out of nowhere and we had to scramble to find a daycare for my daughter. Couldn't even find one that did 5 days a week and had to settle for a 3 day a week daycare, that's not even all day. Grateful to have it though I guess, what made it even more annoying is that I got the job offer, scrambled for daycare, which she's loving, and then have been waiting weeks and weeks for a background check to finish..
Season 3 Whatever GIF by The Office

Last edited:

dorkimoe

Gold Member
I went to McDonald’s today to get a medium 2 cheese burger meal and that thing costed $8.40. That thing used to cost 3.02 then 4.02. It’s McDonalds, it should be dirt cheap. So if that costs a lot, imagine anything else.

Anyway I just drove off, fuck that I’ll go make a sandwich or eat some fucking cereal.
I know a guy, said him and his wife went to mcdonalds and they spent $44 lol

dorkimoe

Gold Member
I just spent $2900 on putting up a 60' privacy fence. Hate that I had to do that, but glad to have it done. Next big project is to get my backyard releveled and appropriate for a 4 year old's birthday party in July. I expect that to cost at least $4.5k or so. I'm not looking forward to that.

I feel this so much. I had a job offer that kind of popped up out of nowhere and we had to scramble to find a daycare for my daughter. Couldn't even find one that did 5 days a week and had to settle for a 3 day a week daycare, that's not even all day. Grateful to have it though I guess, what made it even more annoying is that I got the job offer, scrambled for daycare, which she's loving, and then have been waiting weeks and weeks for a background check to finish..
Season 3 Whatever GIF by The Office
$2900.....wtf?
Im putting up a 6ft vinyl privacy fence..its 12k...

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
$2900.....wtf?
Im putting up a 6ft vinyl privacy fence..its 12k...
Was wondering the same thing... I just had a 6-foot high chain link fence put in (with plastic privacy slats) because I couldn't afford a wood fence. And even that was still $7000 here.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
My goodness. Where do ya'll live? I was annoyed that I paid what I did considering I probably could have done it myself.
Oregon. Could have also done this myself, but even the materials would have been $3k-$4k here.

Oregon. Could have also done this myself, but even the materials would have been $3k-$4k here.
Illinois. I wouldnt have been able to do this lol, digging posts making it level no way.
Guess I should be thankful I live in South Carolina. I love this place.

Maybe this is his fence-
white-emsco-garden-fencing-2140hd-31_600.jpg
Lol, I would have flipped a gasket had it come out like this. It looks great tbh, the catalyst was the new owners of the property next door deciding to air-bnb the property and just random ass people staying over there. A few of them even came to my house to ask to borrow shit....Like WTF? I don't know you and you aren't my neighbor, get away from my house. Now to just get a moat dug and laser-barbwire put on the fence, while having a pitbull with aids patrol the fence line.

jshackles

Lol, I would have flipped a gasket had it come out like this. It looks great tbh, the catalyst was the new owners of the property next door deciding to air-bnb the property and just random ass people staying over there. A few of them even came to my house to ask to borrow shit....Like WTF? I don't know you and you aren't my neighbor, get away from my house. Now to just get a moat dug and laser-barbwire put on the fence, while having a pitbull with aids patrol the fence line.
That sounds... quaint. I miss the South sometimes.

Mine I put up became my neighbors are cooking meth, and the other neighbors have set up a transient parking lot. There are a lot of homeless people here now that still have vehicles they're living in, but you can't park them long-term on public roads - so a lot of homeowners here are now in the business of dividing their yards up into parking spaces and charging people a few hundred dollars a month to park there and use the main house's bathroom.

dorkimoe

Gold Member

Mine I put up became my neighbors are cooking meth, and the other neighbors have set up a transient parking lot. There are a lot of homeless people here now that still have vehicles they're living in, but you can't park them long-term on public roads - so a lot of homeowners here are now in the business of dividing their yards up into parking spaces and charging people a few hundred dollars a month to park there and use the main house's bathroom.
lol I have dogs that just stare at my house and bark. Hoping the fence helps. But I do think there was a meth dealer 2 houses down

Holy hell that sounds awful and terrifying. The cops won't help you out?

Meicyn

Gold Member
Illinois. I wouldnt have been able to do this lol, digging posts making it level no way.
I live in Illinois as well but… Christ, maybe I need to come out of early retirement and start a fence building business. $12K for 6 feet of fence? What the fuck. That is an insane amount of price gouging.

poodaddy

That sucks OP, sorry to hear that we're in similar straits. Our heat pump in the living room just went out, and not having a working heat pump in Maine isn't an option, and I can't use the great rebates we have here as I'd have to replace every heat pump in the house to use them, which would cost me well over 25, so that'll cost me about 8k. Had to get the metal roof of the wrap around porch patched up as the last big rain storm fucked it up pretty good, that was 600 bucks. My cat needed 2k worth of dental work. My truck's frame is completely rusted out and I had to buy another frame and have the engine swapped from one to the other, that's 2.5k so far and will be about 10k when all's said and done, (just paid the deposit so far.) Needed to have support walls put up in the attic, haven't received the invoice for that yet and I'm scared lol. My wife's car just started making some freaky noises so we need to get that in to the shop. I have to have the yard completely overhauled when the temperatures raise enough to work with the grass, but to be honest I'd rather pay for that one as it's just far too much labor for just myself, but there's noone around here I can actually trust to get the job done as landscapers here have terrible reviews, so I guess I'm stuck doing it all.

Ya know.....I don't miss apartments, but I see why people sometimes don't like owning homes. It seems like when one thing goes wrong, everything goes wrong at once.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Well, you can start by quitting GAF again and saving on that Gold subscription

💙

I know those feels OP, quadruple business expenses while I change developer teams, double personal expense out of pocket, house rates this month for the year, dentist visit and kids schooling/sports at the start of the year. Fun times.

I wish I was more liquid this month too, a solid opportunity to invest is there but I'm tapped this month, sometimes you just have to blow the budget and stick it out to come back on top.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
If I were you OP I would start a very dangerous family circus with lethal stunts & when the number of your dead kids is acceptable you just fold your tent, collect the insurance & high five your wife.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Sell 1 of your 20 kids.
Donate your magic sperm.
Return your wife's new 4090.
Profit.

In all seriousness, i get what you mean. All of a sudden random bills pile up one after another and it just completely crushes your dreams. Been planning a vacation with childhood friends for the last 4 years and every year all of a sudden you get a $5-10k spike in bills that completely wipes out those savings.

Valonquar

I'd really like to buy an EV to replace my premium gas wallet destroyer 2010 Acura TL, but I think I've got at least another year of saving to go, barring the inevitable disasters like AC or furnace shitting the bed, or some sort of veterinarian bill from hell.

Top Bottom