• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This thread is about the sudden rise of the messaging app Tbh

This is the number 1 free app right now despite being available in only a few US states.

What do you think the popularity says about social media and teens? For those that don't know tbh is a viral anonymous polling thing where you get gems if your friends vote for you in various supposedly uplifting polls.

Somehow it has been designed to not be a popularity contest (how?) and supposedly everyone feels like a winner. Not so sure about that last part.

Judging from the number of reviews complaining about the limit of 12 polls *per two hours* the app seems to have tapped some need among younger people online for positive self image, people who have been burned by Snapchat etc? And yet it's anonymous with no DMs so I am wondering if it makes any breakthroughs.

Anyway, new trend, kinder gentler social media arbitrated by algorithms and anonymity? or just a flash in the pan?

Anyone using it ? where does it go? Gems for ever?
nihsvBc.jpg

klonere

Banned
Super in line with curiouscat, askfm etc etc etc

Just another variation of anonymous internet validation/bullying that is at the core of the modern teenage experience

It'll probably be the center of a few suicides in a couple of months and get pulled down

Chuckie

I don't really understand what the app does?

I can make a poll and answers and my friends will see it? And then I get gems if people vote for me?

So if I make a poll, Who has the biggest dick?

1. Tence
2. Gaffer 2
3. Gaffer 3

And my friends all vote Gaffer 3.... how is that supposed to make me feel better? That will leave me without self confidence and gems (whatever the fuck those are)

I don't really understand what the app does?

I can make a poll and answers and my friends will see it? And then I get gems if people vote for me?

So if I make a poll, Who has the biggest dick?

1. Tence
2. Gaffer 2
3. Gaffer 3

And my friends all vote Gaffer 3.... how is that supposed to make me feel better? That will leave me without self confidence and gems (whatever the fuck those are)

The key is the polls are from a database controlled by the app makers all you can do is send suggestions. So
You can't do a troll poll or a negative one.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Is an app named "tbh" that's about anonymous positive feedback only the ultimate in tech doublespeak?

Is an app named "tbh" that's about anonymous positive feedback only the ultimate in tech doublespeak?
The greatest trick the Devil pulled is convincing the world he doesn't exist ?

I don't know but I read one mystified article that said "tbh" as an acronym isn't used negatively by young people as it has been in the past. Or something.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Do social networks make people feel worse?

Without a doubt

Facebook is supposed to envelope us in the warm embrace of our social network, and scanning friends’ pages is supposed to make us feel loved, supported and important (at least in the lives of those we like). But skimming through photos of friends’ life successes can trigger feelings of envy, misery and loneliness as well, according to researchers from two German universities. The scientists studied 600 people who logged time on the social network and discovered that one in three felt worse after visiting the site—especially if they viewed vacation photos. Facebook frequenters who spent time on the site without posting their own content were also more likely to feel dissatisfied.

Seesaw15

Do all the polls have Thor 2: The Dark World as an option?

Not the demographic for this app but sounds cool if it works.

Nowise10

I downloaded it and it says its not available in my state yet and I gave it my location.

ok.

EDIT* Looking at the photos in the app store looks like this was designed for middle school and highschool kids. Also it has 4K reviews is relatively new app. They definitely didn't fake those reviews.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So basically the app gives you a question and you vote for which of your friends meets the criteria best? However all they know is that they've received some gems. They don't know what you voted on them for, or how many polls you didn't vote for them on. Is this correct?

So really, the only way to truly feel bad is if you get no gems, but the app could even fake this by giving out pity gems on occasion.

Everyone is a winner!

EhoaVash

Wtf first time I'm hearing about this app. I'm too old for this shit and I'm only 22

:( Looks like it's not available on Android yet.

gaiages

Banned
Hey if it makes people feel better/good about themselves then cool.

It seems to have more things in place to stop cyberbullying, but we'll see how that pans out once the app is more widely available.

Forkball

I am completely lost, am I officially old now?

itll-happen-to-you.png
As a kid, I adored the Simpsons while my dad hated it. However, this scene was one of the rare instances where he actually laughed at the show. It was only until years later that I realized why.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
All I have is iMessage, (SMS and Apple's iMessage) FaceBook Messenger and SnapChat. And if I could I wouldn't even bother with FaceBook Messenger (Fuck them for not giving us the option to just keep messaging in the FaceBook app so I don't need a second stupid app) or SnapChat. (But my millennial coworker friends have it and I like to pretend to be hip so I use it occasionally.)

I'd be happy with just iMessage.

Top Bottom