• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This week's cruisin' Japanese mag news (17 Oct~)

Jiggy

Jonnyram said:
Soul Calibur Legends
Wii / BanNam / 13 Dec
- Lloyd from Tales of Symphonia is in the game
At least it's only Lloyd. If it was Colette, Kratos, Sheena, Presea, Zelos, Botta, Yuan, or Mithos, I'd probably have to buy this game that'll probably suck.

super funk said:
:lol I thought schuelma was being serious but now its pretty clear he wasnt.

If you liked Cruis'n you'd probably like the new (Wii) game too, it's a renamed port of the arcade 'The Fast and the Furious' game, which was made by the same guy as the Cruis'n series was. Quite similar gameplay... GAF obviously just doesn't like Cruis'n. I think they're okay, if simple... the Wii game will probably be fine, graphics excepted.

jiggle

Y2Kev said:
WKC sounds like jesus

In deed :D

What does it mean, the mixing pot will be huge?
Huge part of the game, or huge object doing the mixing?

GIANT frog cousin maybe? D:

The MMO part sounds interesting. I really hope after this is done, Lv5 gets to do a real MMORPG. They obviously wants to.

*edit: Bring back Si Ma Yi's fan!

icecream

Public Health Threat
Jonnyram said:
Famitsu reviews first:

DS
Code Gears 6776

PS2
Baldr Bullet Equilibrium 6665
Ar Tonelico 2 8878

PS3
Imabikisou 9888
Code Geass looks okay. Ar Tonelico 2 is better and BB:R is decent considering it's 1/2 Action 1/2 ADV...

Imabikisou :O

Bebpo

Banned
How the hell does a visual novel of still pictures and text get a 9, let alone a 33/40?

Also God of War II only got 37/40 because it lots 3 points for being censored in Japan.

Bebpo

Banned
icecream said:
It's a sound novel with cinematics. And not an anime one at that.

Still seems iffy. Will wait to see what other people think of it. I mean when I think a 9 for a visual novel, it must mean the story is pretty darn great.

jiggle

Bebpo said:
Still seems iffy. Will wait to see what other people think of it. I mean when I think a 9 for a visual novel, it must mean the story is pretty darn great.

Imabikisou demo is up on PSN i think...

Amir0x

Banned
Jigsaw said:
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, (Square), GBA, 8 / 8 / 9 / 9 (34/40)

oh so basically it's as shitty as the first FFTA

Where is the real news, not the dumb scores or about crappy Soul Calibur spin-offs :(

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Amir0x said:
shitty FFTA

crappy Soul Calibur spin-offs :(
angryman.jpg

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I AM JOHN! said:
Why does anyone take magazine reviews seriously?
Fixed, they exist for their news (and EGM also has their fairly creditable rumor section).

Kyoufu

Amir0x said:
oh so basically it's as shitty as the first FFTA

Where is the real news, not the dumb scores or about crappy Soul Calibur spin-offs :(

I agree, scores is not what I look forward to every week, but isn't FFTA supposed to be much better than it's first incarnation? For example, didn't they remove the judge system bs?

Zoramon089 said:
Am I the only person whose finding FF:CC for WiiWare strikingly similar in concept to King's Story?!

Except more focus on the building, and less on the RPG, eploration and combat that KS has.

Kyoufu said:
I agree, scores is not what I look forward to every week, but isn't FFTA supposed to be much better than it's first incarnation? For example, didn't they remove the judge system bs?
Actually, they just made it optional. Having a judge with your party and using the law system gives your party stat boosts.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Kyoufu said:
You're talking to the wrong person, Amir0x liked the law system, which they have changed (prison is gone). It seems the story is not satisfying again but I don't know how well the game plays.

Amir0x

Banned
Kyoufu said:

I don't know, I really hope so. FFT: Lion War reminded me of two things. One, the original was really a pretty well refined game (just needed to eek out some balance issues, and some of the "cheap" teammates you get during the game... and the slowdown), and two this "SRPG for beginners" that was FFTA was an insult to the franchise and the genre in general.

My problem wasn't the judge system conceptually, I think that could be tweaked into something worthwhile, my problem was...

- Lack of permanent Death (except in JAGD or whatever, where they toned the difficulty done even beyond the simplicity of the rest of the game so that you could almost never die anyway)
- Half of the classes were redundant/useless/unbalanced
- Territory defending was lame, tedious and so ridiculously easy that it served only to waste your precious time, by boring you to death.
- Stupid learn abilities via weapons system.
- Worst storyline in any RPG, or SRPG, or basically any thing related to the role playing genre ever. Well, all the ones that try to take themselves seriously anyway. This shit was embarrassing. Hell, it'd be embarrassing even if you were the sub-ten year old age group the story was apparently aimed at.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Zoramon089 said:
Am I the only person whose finding FF:CC for WiiWare strikingly similar in concept to King's Story?!
Of course you are, you silly. King's Story is in a forest village, Little King is in a city.

SSM5/DW6 scans! YES!

*happy dance*

SIMA YI looks fuck-awesome. I'm not sure on his weapon change though he was actually really kickass in SSM4(then again if you want to get technical both him, Zhuge, and the Qiao sisters all fought with fans. If Sima is getting this treatment I will have to prostrate myself at Omega Force's offices if they ditch the fans for at least one of the Qiaos). Giving him claws oddly reminds me of No from Sengoku Musou. Though hers were concealed most of the time.

Hopefully his attacks don't just involve a bunch of scratching and such(if he fights like say...Iori from KoF I'm going to hate life). Last thing he needs is to look even weaker than Zhuge Liang. It would be really cool if his style was similar to the Ninja Woman from Sengoku Basara(Forgot her name but she fights with claws and wires, my most played character in SB2)

In the second shot it looks like there's some sort of sphere grid ala FFX. I guess you can gather points and then upgrade your characters however you wish. It'd be really sweet if you could share the points with other characters so you can build them up as well.

Also looks like you can level up your mounts again. This leads me to believe that special mounts like the Red Hare, Hex Mark, and the Elephant will require finding the special item like past DWs(And you'll probably have to fight LuBu, Liu Bei, and Meng Huo/Zhu Rong to get them).

I'm reading through Three Kingdoms a second time so I'm pretty much nuts for the series.

SB2 Heroes

Not really much to say. I'm hoping the multiplayer mode actually means a real coop campaign style mode and not just lame challenge or VS modes. Still hoping for a US release for the Wii version. There is this one mission with Nobunaga where he faces off against Nagamasa Azai and Oichi. Nobunaga tends to laugh often throughout his story mode and for some odd reason him, Azai, and Oichi are just laughing like crazy for parts of the battle. I had no idea what the hell was going on.

Amir0x said:
- Half of the classes were redundant/useless/unbalanced
- Stupid learn abilities via weapons system.
Looks at clan made up entirely of Viera assassins and human/moogle thieves who have stolen each and every one of their action abilities....

Ok, you've got me on those two.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Amir0x said:
i bet it'll sell more than King's Story
Connecting to the Wii Shop is a lot like waiting in a Japanese retail line (comparable lengths), so that's another thing FF:CC has going for it.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I saw a commercial for that visual novel yesterday and it looks FUCKED UP. In a good way.

Kyoufu

vicious_killer_squirrel said:
Looks at clan made up entirely of Viera assassins and human/moogle thieves who have stolen each and every one of their action abilities....

Ok, you've got me on those two.

Wow, do not want.

Still looking forward to impressions on FFTA2 though.

Saying that, not really looking forward to a non-Matsuno Ivalice game. Normally I wouldn't care but the man made FFT and FFXII, two of my favourite FF games. I haven't played Vagrant Story (leave those pitchforks alone) yet but I really should dig deep and get it on ebay.

sp0rsk said:
I saw a commercial for that visual novel yesterday and it looks FUCKED UP. In a good way.

My friend dled the demo yesterday and had nothing but positive reactions.

mint

Banned
i really have high hopes for ffta2. the animation in battles is top notch and FAST *COUGH fft cough*, the story..well duno much but w/e seems intriguing, awesome penelo drawing, man i can't wait.

Lightning

Banned
Jonnyram said:
White Knight Chronicles
PS3 / SCE / unknown release date
- a third knight introduced - Dragoon
- like other Level 5 games, the mixing pot is back. this time it's huge.
- scenario seems to proceed in a quest-based fashion (very MMOlike)
That sounds orgasmic... :D

I just wish it had a release date, damn Level 5 and Sony need to hurry this one a long...

PepsimanVsJoe said:
SSM5/DW6 scans! YES!

*happy dance*

SIMA YI looks fuck-awesome. I'm not sure on his weapon change though he was actually really kickass in SSM4(then again if you want to get technical both him, Zhuge, and the Qiao sisters all fought with fans. If Sima is getting this treatment I will have to prostrate myself at Omega Force's offices if they ditch the fans for at least one of the Qiaos). Giving him claws oddly reminds me of No from Sengoku Musou. Though hers were concealed most of the time.

Hopefully his attacks don't just involve a bunch of scratching and such(if he fights like say...Iori from KoF I'm going to hate life). Last thing he needs is to look even weaker than Zhuge Liang. It would be really cool if his style was similar to the Ninja Woman from Sengoku Basara(Forgot her name but she fights with claws and wires, my most played character in SB2)

In the second shot it looks like there's some sort of sphere grid ala FFX. I guess you can gather points and then upgrade your characters however you wish. It'd be really sweet if you could share the points with other characters so you can build them up as well.

Also looks like you can level up your mounts again. This leads me to believe that special mounts like thea Red Hare, Hex Mark, and the Elephant will require finding the special item like past DWs.
i am happy until i see a new character:D

ethelred

Actually, the new White Knight Story is basically killing off my interest. It's that one word that does it -- "MMOlike." I don't enjoy MMOs. Why would I enjoy something like MMOs? If I wanted to play an MMO, I would, but they're not at all fun.

Jonnyram said:
Famitsu reviews first:

DS

Dungeon Maker 9787

Final Fantasy Tactics A2 9988

PS2
God of War 2 10999

Wii
Treasure Island Z 9987
DDR Hottest Party 8787
Ghost Squad 8887

Great for GoW2. And finally some quality Wii title is coming !! FFTA2 score is a classic score for a good FF spinoff.

Abel

ethelred said:
Actually, the new White Knight Story is basically killing off my interest. It's that one word that does it -- "MMOlike." I don't enjoy MMOs. Why would I enjoy something like MMOs? If I wanted to play an MMO, I would, but they're not at all fun.

QFE[xtreme]T :D

I hate MMOs too, but I love the art and what semblance of story I know about :(

ethelred

PataHikari said:
One would assume that Soul Calibur is enough to get people interested.

This raises a question, which is the more popular of Namco's series, Tales or SC?

In Japan? Tales by a landslide.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
PataHikari said:
One would assume that Soul Calibur is enough to get people interested.

This raises a question, which is the more popular of Namco's series, Tales or SC?

Soul Calibur is about as popular as ranch dressing here.

Top Bottom