• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This Week's Famitsu: Gravity Rush shines, and that Suikoden PSP game? Ehhh

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Funny how quickly Famitsu scores suddenly matter.

no review scores matter - ever. No matter who it is.*

* to me. Covering all the people i care about. Huzzah!

test_account

XP-39C²
Funny how quickly Famitsu scores suddenly matter.

Either way, I'm kinda interested in Gravity Rush.
I read all comments up to yours, and i see more jokes about the Famitsu scores than people who say that Famitsu scores matter (in fact, i cant see one person who say that they matter, i only see someone who mention that they're looking forward to the game).

Takao

Banned
2 and remake was much better though. I do hope Sony allows Toyama to make a new horror IP though.

Toyama wants his next game to be another horror one, even though Gravity Rush is the title he's had in his head since he got into gaming.

klee123

I read all comments up to yours, and i see more jokes about the Famitsu scores than people who say that Famitsu scores matter (in fact, i cant see one person who say that they matter, i only see someone who mention that they're looking forward to the game).

He's only like this when it comes to games on Sony systems.

Apath

So is Gravity Rush just an amazing game, or is this another case of new-system hype? Like, if Gravity Rush were actually a PS3 title instead of Vita, would it have gotten the same score?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Famitsu scores hurr durr etc etc

I really hope it lives up to the score, and I have a feeling it will. I also can't wait for the text. That's usually a teeny bit more helpful than the sponsored raw score.

Takao

Banned
Famitsu scores hurr durr etc etc

I really hope it lives up to the score, and I have a feeling it will. I also can't wait for the text. That's usually a teeny bit more helpful than the sponsored raw score.

"The girl was really cute!"

"The game gave a great sense of immersion!"

"It was like I was floating!"

"I like that I can dress up the main character as a school girl!"

mujun

So they give scores according to how much they get paid and they review based on criteria such as how you can dress up the main character and how cute he or she is.

Better or worse than IGN?

they really want to kill off suikoden, do they?
or didn't want to fork out for a better score.

whatever, perhaps the soundtrack is worth it?

B.K.

Guild01 Crimson Shroud details.

As one would expect of a Matsuno game, Crimson Shroud is a tactical RPG. However, the success of your moves is determined, at least in part, by dice roles. The magazine doesn't get too specific on the battle system beyond this.

The game also has a story component. This is presented in the form of a text-style adventure.

Guild 01 is due for 3DS release this year.

http://andriasang.com/comztq/guild01_crimson_shroud/

Gaspode_T

Famtsu score when it fits your expectation/hopes - "Oh how awesome!! Great news!!", when it doesn't - "Famitsu scores don't mean anything anyway" ........

I've found that the platform specific mags have much better / consistent / fair review scores, maybe I can post the scores from Famitsu 360's March 2012 issue if it's okay.

Adr1an

Happy to see gravity rush getting a good score, hopefully the it can garner a decent amount of sales as well.

Famtsu score when it fits your expectation/hopes - "Oh how awesome!! Great news!!", when it doesn't - "Famitsu scores don't mean anything anyway" ........

I've found that the platform specific mags have much better / consistent / fair review scores, maybe I can post the scores from Famitsu 360's March 2012 issue if it's okay.

Well, in the words of a random Japanese forum poster I saw today...

"If it gets a 40/40, it's a shit game. If it gets a 38/40 -- Godly game confirmed."

There weren't many people in this thread saying awesome!/great news!/etc anyway. I think everyone knows what Famitsu scores mean.
$

The undertone of resentment and denial in your posts is staggering, but somehow you're making the OP for this game. Strange.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches

"If it gets a 40/40, it's a shit game. If it gets a 38/40 -- Godly game confirmed."
*Any* perfect score is highly suspect these days, but it's more true in Famitsu case due to the frequency and blatant true reasoning behind it. Unfortunately with every Famitsu reviews these days we have to go through the extra step of analyzing:
- Whether the game comes from a big pub/dev or not.
- Whether the game has an AAA budget or not.
- Whether the pub/dev care enough about this game to *ahem* buy enough ad space on Famitsu or not.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
we have to go through the extra step of analyzing:
- Whether the game comes from a big pub/dev or not.
- Whether the game has an AAA budget or not.
- Whether the pub/dev care enough about this game to *ahem* buy enough ad space on Famitsu or not.
And this analysis doesn't even have to mean anything, since the said game may be just really good.

There weren't many people in this thread saying awesome!/great news!/etc anyway. I think everyone knows what Famitsu scores mean.
$

Same with US scores for major publications

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
And this analysis doesn't even have to mean anything, since the said game may be just really good.
Well I happen to be more optimistic about this review because:
- It comes from Team Siren.
- It doesn't seem to have a big development or marketing budget.
- And SCEJ doesn't give two shits about Team Siren, let alone the game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
they really want to kill off suikoden, do they?
or didn't want to fork out for a better score.

whatever, perhaps the soundtrack is worth it?
Soundtrack seems worth it to me from the samples I've heard. Seems Tierkreis-esque. And Tierkreis had a good soundtrack.

Konami clearly doesn't really care about the game otherwise they would've shown gameplay by now. It releases on the 9th.

Famtsu score when it fits your expectation/hopes - "Oh how awesome!! Great news!!", when it doesn't - "Famitsu scores don't mean anything anyway" .

It's more like
Famitsu score when it fits your expectation/hopes - "Oh, a bunch of arbitrary numbers without any context are being reported on a bunch of websites!" when it doesn't - "Oh, a bunch of arbitrary numbers without any context are being reported on a bunch of websites!"

Websites rarely, if ever, post which reviewer at Famitsu gave what score, so you can't even say, "Oh, Harada gave it a 9? Me and him have pretty similar tastes in games, so that sounds good to me."

(Of course we don't live in an alternate dimension where individual Famitsu reviews actually say anything of substance, so the numbers really are all you have to go by)

Well I happen to be more optimistic about this review because:
- It comes from Team Siren.
- It doesn't seem to have a big development or marketing budget.
- And SCEJ doesn't give two shits about Team Siren, let alone the game.

What does SCEJ care about?

Gaspode_T

I remember despising the guy with the soccer ball's reviews back in classic EGM...he was always so off my own tastes it was unreal. I remember him slamming things that shooter fans loved (like giving bad reviews to Darius games or something like that) - the problem with reviews is simply that...they are subjective to one dude's opinion.

Dcharlie is so-so on Army Corps of Hell but I'm having tons of fun and love the music, so I would probably rate it higher than he does.

I can also say the Famitsu 360 reviews have extensive sections talking about impressions of the month (literally a whole page that is like a wall of text) and I'm starting to know their individual tastes...they also have a live streaming show where they talk about games...so it's not like Japanese gamers only have the Famitsu scores to look at, it's similar to the US where word of mouth rules the sales chart.

Takao

Banned
The undertone of resentment and denial in your posts is staggering, but somehow you're making the OP for this game. Strange.

Oh, I'm really excited for Gravity Rush. That post was simple a mock of what the Famitsu reviewers could've written given past reviews where they don't say much of anything.

It's Famitsu, so an almost-perfect score like that means nothing. Still, I've no doubt that Gravity Daze will be the Vita's killer-app.

Top Bottom