• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Those aren't our people. They sold us into slavery."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
Even if he doesn't why can't he selectively care about blood diamonds?

You ARE saying it has to be all or nothing.

Right, why is he selectively caring about blood diamonds? What particular aspect of it is so horrid to him compared to other industries?

Right, why is he selectively caring about blood diamonds? What particular aspect of it is so horrid to him compared to other industries?

Perhaps because he happens to know that child slave labor is employed, and that the children are threatened with death or dismemberment. Or worse.

A bit different than say... Chinese sweat shops. Even though both are terrible.

Who knows. He didn't give his reasons. But you seem to think he shouldn't care at all.

Perhaps because he happens to know that child slave labor is employed, and that the children are threatened with death or dismemberment. Or worse.

Who knows. He didn't give his reasons. But you seem to think he shouldn't care at all.

Oh dear.

Jarmel

Banned

So if he knew that happened in a different industry then he would try to avoid it?

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Eh...

He's more immature than he is wrong. Depending on his awareness, background, family, and history he may have more reason to say that than most.

Strong chance that isn't the case though.

So if he knew that happened in a different industry then he would try to avoid it?

Who knows. Maybe he would. Or maybe the other industry is far too difficult for him to avoid and he'd rather take baby steps than just say "fuck it" and do nothing at all.

WTF are you trying to prove here?

Seems to me like he's trying to pull a "GOTCHA! HYPOCRITES!" moment to justify buying blood diamonds. And pulling an "either all or nothing" morality stance. Though he keeps claiming he isn't doing so.

-Eddman-

Being mexican, this reminds me about dudes genuinely angry at americans because "they stole our northern states". SMH

How does it feel, realizing that living in the first world harms people in the third world? You might even think you're the first person to concoct such an idea. Most of us realized it long ago and choose to ignore it, unable to make the sacrifices necessary to clear our collective conscience.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Most Africans coming from Africa always think they can identify with American Blacks because they have the same skin color, imagine the surprise when we come to America to find out that both Whites and Blacks alike join hands in making fun of Africans.
To be fair, though, I know Africans who make fun of American blacks as well. Both groups need to stow their baggage.

Jarmel

Banned
Seems to me like he's trying to pull a "GOTCHA! HYPOCRITES!" moment to justify buying blood diamonds. And pulling an "either all or nothing" morality stance. Though he keeps claiming he isn't doing so.

Or maybe I'm not. If he wants to be selective about the blood diamonds, that's fine as long as he admits he's being selective.

How does it feel, realizing that living in the first world harms people in the third world? You might even think you're the first person to concoct such an idea. Most of us realized it long ago and choose to ignore it, unable to make the sacrifices necessary to clear our collective conscience.

I feel absolutely fine about it. The world is a tough bullshit place that is completely dependent on luck.

Most Africans coming from Africa always think they can identify with American Blacks because they have the same skin color, imagine the surprise when we come to America to find out that both Whites and Blacks alike join hands in making fun of Africans. I didn't expect for so many of the blacks i met to be ignorant about Africa, as time went on however i was able to understand that even though they had the same skin color they have become so far removed from the continent that it was an insult to Black-Americans themselves to be called "African-Americans".
It isn't an insult, it's just inaccurate. It's like being called Korean if you are really Japanese or German if you're Irish. No matter if you're black, white, Asian or whatever, if you are from Africa and are now a citizen of the US, you are truly an African American. I haven't breathed a breath of air from Africa in my life and nobody in my family has for the last 500 years. I'm 100% American who has nowhere else to call home, doesn't know the first thing about Africa and has no right to ever claim anything about it. My family roots go further back than a lot of white Americans, yet I've never heard the term European American. This is why I don't like the term.

lenovox1

It isn't an insult, it's just inaccurate. It's like being called Korean if you are really Japanese or German if you're Irish. No matter if you're black, white, Asian or whatever, if you are from Africa and are now a citizen of the US, you are truly an African American. I haven't breathed a breath of air from Africa in my life and nobody in my family has for the last 500 years. I'm 100% American who has nowhere else to call home, doesn't know the first thing about Africa and has no right to ever claim anything about it. My family roots go further back than a lot of white Americans, yet I've never heard the term European American. This is why I don't like the term.

Blacks in the US were very pro-"the Mother Land" back when the term African American became popularized. We even created Kwanzaa, for goodness sakes. The term African American was as much of a civil rights statement as it was a comment on our ethnic heritage.

But I completely agree with you. The term, as it's used today, should be antiquated.

Azih

So.. you shouldn't care about what people are going through in the 21st century because of what their ancestors may or may not have done to your ancestors centuries ago?

I have two problems here:

The question he poses is: Why should we care (about forced child labor, I assume)?
And the part about "Those aren't our people." is a reply to "They are our people."
Which leads me to two questions:

Does it serve as his answer to his own question? Or is it merely an argumentation refutal?

Does he not care to any laborial abuse/product relation?
Or does he specifically have a marked disregard for african laborial abuses?

SUPREME1

Banned
If he wants to be selective about the blood diamonds, that's fine as long as he admits he's being selective.

Or how about I don't admit anything other than I'm not comfortable purchasing blood diamonds and leave it at that?

Oh look, you don't get to decide what other people are willing to say or do!

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
It's also misused pretty often. I can't tell you how regularly I hear someone refer to a person of Haitian descent as "African-American."

Almost all the time, African-American refers to Black which basically means "Black enough to get frisked by the NYPD" or get picked first when its time to play basketball.

genjiZERO

My point is that it's asinine to highlight blood diamonds in particular. If you start to research a lot of the conditions where much of consumer stuff comes from, it's a very depressing rabbithole. Why should the OP care about blood diamonds in particular when so much production is done in third world countries under horrid conditions?

Because it's what he chooses to care about and because it's a subject that is easy to care about. Simply because there are other consumer products that are produced in equally or more horrendous ways, which someone may not care about, doesn't mean that can't or shouldn't care about the other thing. Basic logic.

DC R1D3R

Banned
I have two problems here:

The question he poses is: Why should we care (about forced child labor, I assume)?
And the part about "Those aren't our people." is a reply to "They are our people."
Which leads me to two questions:

Does it serve as his answer to his own question? Or is it merely an argumentation refutal?

Does he not care to any laborial abuse/product relation?
Or does he specifically have a marked disregard for african laborial abuses?

He hasn't got a fuckin clue. To put it bluntly.

akira28

Most Africans coming from Africa always think they can identify with American Blacks because they have the same skin color, imagine the surprise when we come to America to find out that both Whites and Blacks alike join hands in making fun of Africans. I didn't expect for so many of the blacks i met to be ignorant about Africa, as time went on however i was able to understand that even though they had the same skin color they have become so far removed from the continent that it was an insult to Black-Americans themselves to be called "African-Americans".

African former co-worker of mine was a funny motherfucker. But he had this lazy African-American schtick. It was funny but man...he would dog the shit out of black dudes. He would say things like "I come from a place where we have dirt roads! No water! No plumbing! mud brick homes! And I come here and I am your boss! And these neegas won't even get a job, have a job, won't come to work. They have NO right to complain. Americans are just lazy!"

But then you have people (non-black) who will just say that Africans are harder workers than blacks, and more trustworthy, etc. It's like, there are so many different factors, and everyone has their own mind made up. And not for the better, eithe.r

norinrad

Well the problem is that Malcolm X and almost all pan-Africans were physically removed before they could finish what they set out to do for Black people in Africa and outside of Africa

zon

A black co-worker just said this about Africans in Africa. It blew my mind.

Backstory:

We were bullshitting talking about what we're going to get our wives for Mother's Day. He told me to get her some diamonds. I laughed and said it wasn't even an option. He said diamonds are forever. I answered that I didn't want anything to do with blood diamonds. He asked 'why not?' and I said I didn't want it on my conscience that some kids probably lost their hands over it. He asked why I cared and I said because we're all humans and we should care about our people... to which he dropped:

"Those aren't our people. They sold us into slavery."

My jaw dropped and I was just trying to process what he had just said. He then said "It's true."

I'm actually still trying to process it. I mean, is this a thing?

I always thought the slave trading whites and the African chiefs (who agreed to trade/sell slaves) were the ones who were to blame. Was I just being naive in thinking it was that simple?

Anyone want to chime in?

This is just flat out wrong. Slavery was going on in Africa hundreds of years before Europeans set foot there. The very earliest records we have today tell of islamic traders encountering an established slave trade when they first started traveling into Africa. Slave trading in Africa was a monster entirely created by Africans themselves and it was something both people from the east and west exploited, much to the benefit of both the African communities themselves who sold the slaves as well as the buyers.

Before Africans were bought en masse as slaves by Europeans, the ethnic group of choice were the Slavic people. The name of their people became synonymous with being a servus (the word people used before the word "slave" came about).

Salsa

god damn those nasty african kids working on the blood diamonds trade that sold black people to slavery more than a decade ago

those damn ageless children!

trixx

What? I'm African and I never heard of other Africans making fun of American blacks. Maybe its just my family and friends but usually I see the opposite occur and its usually from younger people you will never see this occur with the older people.

dbztrk

"They" did not sell "us" into slavery because they (present day Africans) did not exist centuries ago and we present day blacks are not and have never been slaves.

You are right though. Some African chiefs did sell other Africans into slavery.

strobogo

Banned
Is there anything you can buy in America that doesn't have slave labor work somewhere along the line? Even most things that are "Made in the USA" usually have parts that are made somewhere else and assembled in the US. Anything with electricity or batteries (or the batteries themselves), or motors/engines, or metals have the raw materials being mined by slaves somewhere. And then the raw materials get made into something by slaves somewhere else. It's pretty weird how far removed the vast majority of the planet is to our belongings.

It's really hard to take a stand on blood diamonds when you have a TV/phone/car/lights/computer/clothes. It's all so strange.

V_Arnold

Way to casually ignore the fact that it is extremely easy to avoid buying diamonds.

I don't let perfection be the enemy of good. Sorry that you do. It takes no effort to avoid buying diamonds. It would take a lot of effort to avoid buying any product that had shady origins.

How DARE you! Diamonds are forever, man!

KillGore

Why shouldn't you care? It isn't like a computer or phone. It is really easy to get by in life without buying a diamond.

You can go by in life without a lot of things, such as gaming consoles, yet we buy them. Heck, most clothing are made in other countries.

Edit: Eh, I'll just avoid the shitstorm I just read above and leave the thread.

besada

Banned
That sounds like incredibly stupid revisionist history. I guess the indians wiped out themselves too.
No, the British, Spanish, and French killed most of the Native Americans. And then we killed some more and forced them into reservations.

dojokun

Banned
I don't think the co-worker in question was blaming today's kids in Africa for his ancestors being sold into slavery. I think he was just undoing any association in the OP's mind between his co-worker and people in Africa.

It's a misconception. Most African slaves were stolen from Africa, not sold. And I would argue those that initially did sell to American and European slavers didn't know how brutal the process was. Chattel slavery didn't exist in Africa, their system was instead similar to indentured servitude; African tribes would take prisoners after tribal wars, but those prisoners had the opportunity to rise from their low social rank.

Afrikan

grandpa-simpson-gif.gif

Zeppelin

It's a misconception. Most African slaves were stolen from Africa, not sold. And I would argue those that initially did sell to American and European slavers didn't know how brutal the process was. Chattel slavery didn't exist in Africa, their system was instead similar to indentured servitude; African tribes would take prisoners after tribal wars, but those prisoners had the opportunity to rise from their low social rank.

Give me a break. Slaves from Africa were being used in the middle-east long before the Europeans got involved. Do you think they were treated much better? And it's still very much in effect in some African countries, like Mauritania. Being a slave is never nice.

That being said; sons should not bear the sins of their father.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom