• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Those sealed VGA games on eBay

cafemomo

Whenever I'm bored at work I browse eBay looking at stuff I can't afford. From time to time I stumble across those VGA 85+ SEALED BLACK LABEL games with a ridiculous high price.
For example, this copy of FFX for $229

I mean, I understand preserving the games for a collection, but why does some VGA number system make the game go up in price from $20 to $229? Also those cases look ugly and unbreakable. And to be honest, this whole VGA thing seems like a scam

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I am convinced this shit is actually a scam and actual harms the quality of the collectible, which is kind of funny because this is supposed to preserve things.

From a thread I made many months ago, the links may not be working.

I was on ebay the other night looking for copies of Mega Man 64. While I saw that sealed copies usually went for about 100-170 or so, the VGA rated copies all pushed 350-450.

Here is an example

None VGA rated FACTORY SEALED Mega Man 64

Versus

VGA rated SEALED Mega Man 64

So I got a bit curious about what the VGA charges to get games rated and what services they offer.

On their very website you see this criteria for grading costs.
http://www.vggrader.com/submission_packagedpricing.aspx

You can do different levels of stuff to your game when you get it graded and cased, the price varies on the value of the product. Now what's funny as hell here is if the guy who hadn't VGA rated his game wanted to get his sealed copy of Mega Man 64 rated, all the services would probably be priced in the under $400 or under $1000 category.

Why? Well because the other VGA rated games are going for 350-450 dollars. Which makes sense but here is where the issue comes into play. Those values are already heavily inflated thanks to the VGA

Say the game was actually worth 170 sealed and in great condition like the non VGA seller says. If you went to rate that game, it would be rated as an under 200 dollar game. Say you got 60 dollars worth of services done, and then you decide to sell it. Now if you wanna make your money back your game has to be sold for 230.

Now some one else who has sealed copy wonders how much their game is worth and the see it's worth 230! So they list their for 200 or so, then eventually the price is inflated to 200-230 just because that's how much people believe it's worth. Eventually some of those people want to get their sealed Mega Man 64's VGA rated...well now the game is valued as an under 400 game which jacks up the costs of their rating so they might have to sell the game for 300 to make their money back.

See the issue? The VGA distorts prices and value in an ever increasing way over time. However this is only one issue, there is a second issue that is a little bit more jarring. On their website they say that they leave a small slit in their sealed non-reopenable acrylic cases for minor airflow. Yet while the goal of the case is to protect the game, all this does is potentially cause damage over time. With that airflow perspiration can seep in which over time can damage the shrink wrap and eventually damage cardboard boxes or jewel case art.

I understand the point behind wanting to protect and rate your games, if they're rare or have a lot of value to you personally it's nice to want to protect them. Or if you want to sell to people I can see the VGA as a nice little vote of confidence to buyers. However, in the long run it might just totally crash the retro gaming market, and I'm pretty sure they're part of the reason as to why people think it's okay to sell Conkers Bad Fury Day (a game that even during the PS2 era would routinely sell for 5 dollars a cart) for over 100 dollars.

Yeah but this is all just like my opinion, man. I could be totally off base and if you think I am just tell me.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
At least with other preserving systems you aren't risking the integrity of the item you are trying to protect. Others have said this process makes it so you have to destroy the case you are trying to protect to ever open it again. This seems much worse and considering the product is digital in nature sealing it up seems foolish.

If you had a valuable baseball card at least you could still fully appreciate it through the protective layer...

Yeah it's basically a scam. You pay the VGA to rate stuff, with the idea that by doing so you can sell at a higher value. People then turn around and sell for their original price + VGA rating price + whatever markup they think they can get away with.

In most cases though putting it in these dumb cases makes it impossible to take out without destroying the game box / shrink wrap.

Anyone stupid enough to buy these things kinda deserves to get scammed though.

Krejlooc

Banned
The cases they ruin these games with don't even do their logical job - they don't block UV light and they actually can trap in humidity, which will cause the boxes to rot in these cases.

Not that it matters anyways, you can never open these things again in the first place.

This stuff is the worst part of being a collector. It feels scummy to me.

ghibli99

I think they're the same company.

I just carefully search for complete/nice condition items, ask questions, and then buy those acrylic cases that you can freely open to access your stuff. Expensive, but worth it for the nice things in your collection, and won't set you back like a CGA/VGA graded item.

My copy of CT isn't "MINT!", but those SNES boxes are fragile, so...

0lsyLjy.jpg

entremet

A lot of hardcore collectors hate VGA grading.

I like collecting older games, but keeping them in plastic boxes just seems to defeat the point. I like playing older games.

I've never heard of a VGA number before - is that like the comic book grading system?

It's pretty much the same as the comic book system but for Video Games.

I don't see a point to it for most people. It's for collectors who spend more time looking at games than playing them.

Krejlooc

Banned
I think they're the same company.

I just carefully search for complete/nice condition items, ask questions, and then buy those acrylic cases that you can freely open to access your stuff. Expensive, but worth it for the nice things in your collection, and won't set you back like a CGA/VGA graded item.

My copy of CT isn't "MINT!", but those SNES boxes are fragile, so...

0lsyLjy.jpg

See, boxes like this, or those plastic UV-protection boxes you see regularly on ebay, are great. Those VGA boxes are damn scams.

Krejlooc

Banned
It's for collectors who spend more time looking at games than playing them.

I spend a lot of time on collecting websites, I'd say I'm pretty deep into the collector scene. These things are pretty much universally reviled by collectors, even the super hardcore crowds like the Neo Geo crowd.

I'd say these things are more for people hoping to strike gold and flip a sorta-hard-to-find game into a $10k investment off of a single sucker.

Dunkley

Think this was posted the other day but 45k for uncharted 2 VGA
http://m.ebay.com/itm/351291192730?_mwBanner=1&rmvSB=true

I kinda feel like those 27 watchers are just collectors curious if anybody will actually buy it for that.

VGA sealing seems absolutely stupid though. I would just sell my sealed copy instead of trying to cut out more profit with this ugly packaging, but hell I barely know anything about that spectrum of collecting so I can't really comment.

cafemomo

I am convinced this shit is actually a scam and actual harms the quality of the collectible, which is kind of funny because this is supposed to preserve things.

From a thread I made many months ago, the links may not be working.

lol I browsed through that VGA site and wow
Common Defects Factored into Grading

While virtually all flaws and imperfections are taken into account when assigning a grade, a list of some of the most common defects can be found below.

Cellophane (Shrink-Wrap)
The cellophane will be judged against dents, scratches, fading, yellowing, clouding, sticker residue, tearing, cuts, lifting, soiling, rub marks, tearing, factory cut and foreign items (ink mark or staple etc.).

Box
The box will be judged against creasing, bending, rolling, tearing, scuffing, scratching, lifting, print marks, loss of gloss, soiling, discoloring, edge wear, nicks, punctures, ink or foreign markings, peg hole punch, tape repair, focus, price sticker, sticker tear, sticker residue, water damage, bubbling and attached foreign objects.

Price Stickers
Price stickers are generally not considered major flaws, but only become a factor if curling, tearing, staining, picking, etc. of the sticker has occurred. The location of the sticker is also a factor, though most are placed in an area such as a corner that does not detract from the overall appearance of the card. Basically, the condition of the sticker factors into the card sub-grade, and from there into the overall grade of the piece.

Good Lord, not only they are scam artists, they are filled with OCD to the max

Krejlooc

Banned

I've spent stupid ridiculous amounts of money on boxes before. The box is usually the most valuable part of a game, especially if it's made of cardboard. Sometimes it's much cheaper, too, to piece together a complete game than to try and find one all at once. I pieced together The Dynastic Hero over the course of 2 years piece by piece and got the whole game for under $300, when it usually goes for way more than that.

Which is why VGA is so stupid - it destroys the box.

marcincz

VGA? Ratings? WTF is going on?! Something similar exist in coins collection, but coin is a coin. You can watch it and that's all. Video games? Watch box like coin? What with booklet, disc and...game? I don't get it.

sca2511

This sounds like the CGC for comic books. Grading on condition of everything and the grade drastically increases the price, especially if it's a collectible book.

Top Bottom