• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ files Chapter 11 Bankruptcy, Clearlake enters w/ purchase agreement [OP Update 2]

Oreoleo

I think 4A aren't owned by THQ, am I right? If so, I guess they just need to find another publisher for Metro, just like Obsidian with South Park.

I believe that's true. But it's not quite as safe a proposition as it is for a pub to pick up South Park which already has outside funding.

What if we pooled all of our money to Giant Bomb / CBSi to buy Volition so the next Saints Row could be published by Giant Bomb?

Is that a pipe dream or can we make this happen?

Geoff9920

So basically Clearwater Clearlake is buying the THQ assets, all employee's will keep their jobs, and business will continue uninterrupted (for now?). Could be a lot worse all things considering.

I think Ubisoft said they're shopping for IPs, but not studios... maybe Activision could buy Volition and Saints Row turning it into an annual franchise next gen.
So basically Clearwater is buying the THQ assets, all employee's will keep their jobs, and business will continue uninterupted (for now?). Could be a lot worse all things considering.
Not likely. I think these companies come in to try and make it profitable. They'll cut even more than Rubin did I bet.

Derrick01

Banned
They're getting bought by Clearlake unless someone makes a higher bid.

The whole company? Didn't they have like $100 million in debt alone? They're insane to do a full buy. Unless bankruptcy clears their debt, I know some dirtbag CEOs do that to their company to avoid paying.

Munin

They're getting bought by Clearlake unless someone makes a higher bid.

OK but what does that mean? Will they just rip out the company's innards and sell off all assets or will they allow the company to continue operating for the time being?

Ahasverus

Please could someone translate those legal terms in plain english? So they are not gone and they are planning a complete sell of the company to survive but they won't have any studios/IP's because they are selling them all?

Jeels

So basically Clearwater is buying the THQ assets, all employee's will keep their jobs, and business will continue uninterupted (for now?). Could be a lot worse all things considering.

So this seems to be all on the business/financials end of things without any abrupt/apparent consequence for current projects?

I mean the press release doesn't scream panic to me, all development studios are remaining open it says.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The whole company? Didn't they have like $100 million in debt alone? They're insane to do a full buy. Unless bankruptcy clears their debt, I know some dirtbag CEOs do that to their company to avoid paying.

OK but what does that mean? Will they just rip out the company's innards and sell off all assets or will they allow the company to continue operating for the time being?

Yeah it seems someone bought the entire company and tends to run it as is.

MisterC20XX

Thanks for the good times, THQ.

news_first_10_minutes_red_faction_guerilla-8128.jpg

marrec

Banned
It sounds to me like they'll survive long enough to publish all games currently in development.

But who is Clearwater?

Capital group, they're buying them up so that they can sell off individual pieces and make a profit.

Unless they truly intend to keep business as normal.

So as it looks right now, THQ have been bought out of bankruptcy by a private equity firm (Clearlake) who will use their strong balance sheet to ensure that their IPs remain valuable. Chances are that they will begin to sell THQ in bits as that is how they will extract the highest amount of money for them.

Are they looking to restructure or is this a liquidation?

Chapter 11 is a restructuring. However, many game studios may be sold off to help the restructuring pay for itself.

Most likely THQ as a name and company will survive, but it may not have all of the game studios it had before.

iNvid02

they're gonna chop it up and send pieces to the highest bidder

edit: yeah this

So as it looks right now, THQ have been bought out of bankruptcy by a private equity firm (Clearlake) who will use their strong balance sheet to ensure that their IPs remain valuable. Chances are that they will begin to sell THQ in bits as that is how they will extract the highest amount of money for them.

Ahasverus

Capital group, they're buying them up so that they can sell off individual pieces and make a profit.

So they are buying them with the intent of selling it by pieces for a profit and then make it die a honourable death.

I'm ok with this.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Looks like that Humble Bundle really was the last gasp.

Tagg9

Yeesh, I was hoping this wasn't the case. They'll likely sell whatever they think has potential to make a big profit and dump the rest.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

As an additional note, THQ went bankrupt, so unsecured debt would be gone.

Let the (bidding) games begin!

This is going to be kinda cool to watch.

So exactly what we expected? THQ IPs will be sold and the company will not exist as a videogame company anymore.

Why are people thinking this is the end of THQ?

Chapter 11 bankruptcy is restructuring of their debt... Yes they will sell stuff but they aren't dead (yet)

Hell... American Airlines is in Chapter 11... :\

Top Bottom