• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ fires THQ San Diego, buries news during E3

Nesotenso

always depressing to see people out of work. Hope someone takes advantage of the talent now available and someone with cash bankrolls THQ.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
It's the news on Twitters.
K1X9Z.jpg

LOL. Kristan Reed's was a short reply to the original comment by Jake Simpson, to me:

https://twitter.com/#!/TheJakeSimpson

I really really hope THQ lose the WWE licence now!!!

they clearly have no idea what to do with it , its the same crap every year!!

its only a matter of time now.

With the deal done to transfer UFC to EA, which probably brought in some good money, they are probably closing down all of their riskier bets... it's sad, but these things probably needed to be done to keep them going.

Wow. Classy.

I can't believe they thought they could bury this. This is gonna blow up in their face, big time.

Hope everyone over there lands on their feet, and soon. Simply awful that they were hit with this during gamer- Christmas. =/

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
With the deal done to transfer UFC to EA, which probably brought in some good money, they are probably closing down all of their riskier bets... it's sad, but these things probably needed to be done to keep them going.

I suspect this is the case. Sell the WWE license, sell the UFC license, cash infusion covers burn rate until the major in-dev titles make it out and are profitable, save company.

ari

Banned
shits getting sad now, needs to just die already.

when you make shitty games, they don't sell, when they don't sell, you go under. News at 11.

I think if THQ survives we'll remember this as being a wise move.

I know someone who worked at Kaos Studios until it was shut down and then was brought over to THQ Brisbane only to have that place get shut down as well. He's now at another developer.

THQ is a bloated mess that needs to trim down. I think Jason Rubin is doing the right(and more painful) thing

BD1

Banned
It sucks that people are losing jobs, but honestly, this is exactly what needs to be done to salvage the company. Big business is full of decisions that effect people in real shitty ways.

There was a THQ here in San Diego??

Beautiful place, but why anyone would want to open a studio in this expensive ass city with cheaper options only the next states over (Arizona/Nevada) is beyond me.

MG310

Well it is kinda hard to keep them around without having the money to put into a project for them. It would have been awesome to see them do an All Stars sequel to expand on the great base they built with the original game.

mooooose

TBH this studio is lucky they were around this long. They squandered away time making the TNA game and then Midway died and they all got picked up by THQ and made a great game that only sold because the license is somewhat popular. In these times, that fluke success wasn't enough and they already have a Wrestling game developer so it does seem like a waste.

Also, I fear that even when the WWE license gets sold that Yukes still develops because they aren't owned by THQ.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
so i don't know what the consensus was from the superfans or whatever but i thought the last ufc was really awesome both in sheer content & gameplay. such a fun game for local multi too. really too bad

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Bumping this for continuity since there is an article now (thanks Blaburn)

THQ’s San Diego studio has been shuttered following the sale of the UFC license – the team’s main concern – to EA Sports.

“THQ confirms that today’s announcement regarding the UFC license transition will affect the company’s San Diego studio,” the publisher said in a statement.

“THQ is working closely with those relevant staff to either find possible employment within the company, or potentially with EA.”

Industry figures have respond to the news with criticism of THQ’s timing of the announcement when it is likely to be swallowed by E3 hype.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/06/05/thq-confirms-ufc-dev-team-laid-off/

TheNatural

My Member!
WWE license will probably be the next dropped by THQ, because it's expensive, the games are becoming stale especially at the end of the generations, and the sales are stagnant.

As for the UFC games, they had a damn fine engine put in from the first game, which I owned and enjoyed. Sure, it had it's flaws, but they did good work on it. The side stuff was where they had the problems - the menu system was probably the worst menu system I've ever seen conceived for any sports game, period. It was a long, long track to get to point A to point B, and you could spend 20 minutes doing useless shit like training and meaningless crap before you got to the next fight. Cleaning up the peripheral stuff to make the game better would go a long way.

MMA is probably the toughest sports game to have to make, to get the mix of fight vs. fun right on what happens in the cage, making each MMA fighter unique because there are no "move sets" for a fighter or signature moves like wrestling. Guys are trained in a style and all know the same things, some are just a lot better than others. I think putting things in the game that are extremely rare, but fun highlight moments for MMA as "special" moves would improve it like the Pettis cage kick, wheel kicks, front kicks, etc. Shit that are once in a million fight stoppers in the real world, but would spice up a game.

I hope the guys get a job with EA considering what foundation they've laid down so far, because their experience will be good, but a fresh approach and thinking will be necessary this time around.

Top Bottom