• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ's unannanounced games, game sales predictions, and game dev plans revealed

They also have sales predictions in the bankruptcy filing.

thqpredictions6bu8g.jpg

Note: The document confirms Atlas is from Relic, and is presumably their f2p MOBA game.

Development budget
budgetx8jnc.jpg

Financial projections
projectionsdqugm.png

Projected balance sheet
balancec2u5f.png

Source: http://www.kccllc.net/documents/8826100/8826100121219000000000002.pdf

No mention of whatever Dark Millenium Online is now? Very disappointed if that's true.

Thraktor

There were no plans for Space Marine 2 or Dawn of War 3? I could have sworn someone said DoW3 was in the works at least.

Still, sad to see them go.

I'm pretty sure Relic have talked about Dawn of War 3 and everything, so it's strange not to see it here. Perhaps it's been postponed to try to get Company of Heroes 2 out as soon as possible?

Hindle

Banned
South Park if it's a great game could sell 3m. Hopefully with strong word of mouth much like Arkham Asylum had.

I'm just happy that Metro and South Park are safe, but I'm interested in a few there. Homefront 2, the turtle rock game and the THQ Montreal thing could all be awesome.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't know about 1666 by Patrice, looking forward to hearing more about it. Also looking forward to SR4

Ahasverus

Curious about 1666.

I will lol if desilets makes an assassins creed spiritual successor finaly in London (1666 is the year of the great fire) before Ubisoft.

Hindle

Banned
If they were to make a 3rd Darksiders, I think they could reach thier sales targets. The series seems to be having similar lines of growth as Saints Row.

fates

What about the Warhammar MMO turned singleplayer game?

From THQ, it's probably a no-go. But GW will probably give the 40K rights to someone else. They just recently granted the Warhammer Fantasy license to Sega.

Or Relic will keep the rights and... I dunno, someone might pick them up, or someone will pick up THQ and them with it.

AHA-Lambda

The thing I'm shocked at is that Metro only cost $50m. I don't know the budget of the first but that was considered a cheap game =/

batbeg

Darksiders II was crazy expensive. I've only played the first but 75 million, even counting the marketing, makes me wonder what happened there.

The thing I'm shocked at is that Metro only cost $50m. I don't know the budget of the first but that was considered a cheap game =/

It didn't cost 50 mil. Subtracting the 63 from 11 doesn't equal the budget of the game. Someone else will explain it better

Anyway, this is super interesting info. Very revealing... we've never seen anything like this before have we?

marrec

Banned
It didn't cost 50 mil. Subtracting the 63 from 11 doesn't equal the budget of the game. Someone else will explain it better

Anyway, this is super interesting info. Very revealing... we've never seen anything like this before have we?

Didn't we see a similar release with Midway's filing?

Ahasverus

This industry is fucked up. CD Projekt made The Witcher 2 with 14M, MercurySteam made Lords of Shadow with 15M, and they are far better looking games than all THQ catalogue, also arguably better. Yet American companies spend millions and millions to churn out half assed products.

I smess a crash. Soon.

AHA-Lambda

This industry is fucked up. CD Projekt made The Witcher 2 with 14M, MercurySteam made Lords of Shadow with 15M, and they are far better looking games than all THQ catalogue, also arguably better. Yet American companies spend millions and millions to churn out half assed products.

I smess a crash. Soon.

Any links for those? Just curious.

I don't just mean dev costs if that's what you thought, unless I'm missing something else.

I smess a crash. Soon.

The cost for games like metro are actually a lot less. The information is not available for you to make these predictions imo.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
so most their titles are budget around 80 millions? seem crazy high

Darksiders II was crazy expensive. I've only played the first but 75 million, even counting the marketing, makes me wonder what happened there.

Actually, net sales I think is the revenue they get.

For Saints Row 4 for example, $36.2 average sell in price * 5 million copies is $181 million.

From the average sell in price, they then have to subtract the console licensing fee and cost of manufacturing (usually $12 no matter what), the retailer margin (~15% for a publisher like THQ), and then remove the marketing and development budget from whatever remains.

KageMaru

Interesting info, thanks OP!

I smess a crash. Soon.

Metro is one of the best looking games out there and I expect the same will apply to Last Light =P

Lime

I smess a crash. Soon.

Polish wages are incredibly low compared to European and American/Canadian labor laws.

AHA-Lambda

For Saints Row 4 for example, $36.2 average sell in price * 5 million copies is $181 million.

From the average sell in price, they then have to subtract the console licensing fee and cost of manufacturing (usually $12 no matter what), the retailer margin (~15% for a publisher like THQ), and then remove the marketing and development budget from whatever remains.

Oh right. So we can't really estimate the budgets of these games can we? :/

antitrop

Wow Darksiders 2 lost money
I bet their advertising budget was as large as the game dev budget.

I was visiting a friend in LA back in July and there was a billboard on every block for that game. By far the most prominent advertising campaign I saw in the city at that time.

Matt

I smess a crash. Soon.

While your overall point is correct of course, it DOES take a lot more money to develop something in the US then it does to develop it in Poland...

I can see Homefront 2 @ 4m easily. if everyone is willing to buy into the MOH games and those dudebro turds sell around 5m+ then the Homefront IP is a much more interesting proposition IMO.

It'll be using Cyrengine 3 and developed by Crytek UK (formerly Free Radical) too. I'm looking forward to seeing more on Homefront 2!

Not surprised about Darksiders 2. it was decent but the loot mechanic was really underwhelming and the story wasn't very good. I preferred the gameplay design and story of DS1 and had DS2 been a continuation of that it would have been better.

DS2 was my biggest disappointment this year.

jcm

So you think the $36 is retail revenue? It would be odd for that to be in THQ's report, since it doesn't affect their P&L at all. I'd guess it's more likely to be wholesale revenue, with the retailer margin already excluded.

Surprising to me there's not more development studios in China.

Western studios outsource lots of art and modeling to China already.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So you think the $36 is retail revenue? It would be odd for that to be in THQ's report, since it doesn't affect their P&L at all. I'd guess it's more likely to be wholesale revenue, with the retailer margin already excluded.

Western studios outsource lots of art and modeling to China already.

Right actually retailer margin excluded would make sense, but I suspect they're not removing things like the cost of manufacturing and licensing.

Orca

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Homefront 2 did 4 million. The first had a pretty decent following and with Crytek UK on board it'd get a lot of attention.

Top Bottom