• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THR: Marc Forster to Direct Live-Action Winnie the Pooh Movie, "Christopher Robin"

• Thread starter Deleted member 465307
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Via The Hollywood Reporter:

Marc Forster has come aboard to direct Christopher Robin, Disney’s live-action fantasy project centering on the human character in Winnie the Pooh.

The story centers on Robin, the adult version of the boy who in the A.A. Milne books shares his adventures with the animals of the Hundred Acre Wood. Robin has grown out of the joyful imagination he had as a young boy and is now a businessman who prioritizes work over his wife and daughter. With his home life on the brink, the last thing his life needs is the return of Pooh, who requires his help in finding his friends again. Robin has to find a way to help both sides or risk losing everything he holds dear.

The project is described as having strong elements of magical realism as it seeks to tell an emotional journey that is combined with a heartwarming adventure.

Forster's previous films include Monster's Ball, The Kite Runner, Quantum of Solace, World War Z, and Finding Neverland. The script is by Alex Ross Perry.

My personal take: As someone who is a big fan of the Winnie the Pooh world and characters, I was very skeptical/scared of the initial news that Disney was making a live-action film. However, the premise given here has me intrigued, and I'm a big sucker for magical realism. I haven't seen the director's work, but I know some of those films were received well. This news takes me from "Oh, bother" to "Might this be a smackeral of honey?"

tumblr_inline_mg30ahSGSG1r6y7ea.png

So, kinda like Paddington?

doesn't really sound like paddington, which btw was an insanely charming kids film.

disney could learn a lot from that when adapting their cartoons. i'm glad this, despite deliberately cribbing from Hook, is doing something different though. sounds like it could be fun.

Trokil

Banned
I know Marc Forsters work and this could be incredible, if Disney lets him do his thing. But it will be very melancholic and if it is a story about growing up and adulthood, it also could be very sad.

If the let him go with his Finding Neverland or Stranger than Fiction vibe, it will be amazing.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
So the plot line of Hook...

So basically the plot of Hook?

Is Hook good? I've always heard of the film, and looking it up now, it looks like it had a seriously impressive group behind it. Reading the premise of Hook on Wikipedia, I definitely see the similarities between that and what this movie seems to be advertising itself as so far.

I know Marc Forsters work and this could be incredible, if Disney lets him do his thing. But it will be very melancholic and if it is a story about growing up and adulthood, it also could be very sad.

If the let him go with his Finding Neverland or Stranger than Fiction vibe, it will be amazing.

My favorite (Pooh) plot. Gosh, few films sadden me more than a couple scenes in Pooh's Grand Adventure. It's terribly wonderful.

Ah, I've seen Stranger than Fiction, but I don't really remember it. I do remember liking it.

Is Hook good? I've always heard of the film, and looking it up now, it looks like it had a seriously impressive group behind it. Reading the premise of Hook on Wikipedia, I definitely see the similarities between that and what this movie seems to be advertising itself as so far.

It's not awful, but it's not terribly good beyond cheese factor either.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Could also be similar to Stranger than Fiction which also has magical realism in it and the best part, never explains it.

That's one of my favorite parts of my favorite magical realism films and stories. I hope that happens in this film.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Can we get another animated feature film instead? Except this time maybe don't put it out on the same weekend as Harry Potter?

I'd love that, but I expect it'd probably end up being 3D, which I'd be less happy about. :/ I also unfortunately don't see it happening soon.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
This weekend me and my wife sat down and watch The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. Lovely movie that stands as a true classic. Still holds up today with a ton of life lessons. Out of curiousity we also watched the 2011 movie and you can see the sudden drop in quality. This seems like the same tone-deaf approached to Pooh.

This weekend me and my wife sat down and watch The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. Lovely movie that stands as a true classic. Still holds up today with a ton of life lessons. Out of curiousity we also watched the 2011 movie and you can see the sudden drop in quality. This seems like the same tone-deaf approached to Pooh.
What? 2011 pooh bear might as well be a continuation of many adventures. It's a classic.

We need a new one before John Cleese can't do them anymore.

What? 2011 pooh bear might as well be a continuation of many adventures. It's a classic.

I definitely think the 2011 film is more obviously contemporary, but it's a great sequel and I'm glad it exists. It's on par with the many adventures.

I guess I'm game for this live action one? Take all my money Disney.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.

The characters feel so out-of-character for so many of the scenes that the whole movie feels like the jokes were lifted from another movie. The animation is also so janky and off-putting. 2011-Pooh is not a classic. It's the same misunderstanding of the original that made Fantasia 2000 such a dud.

Rootbeer

Banned
I loved Hook as a kid. But Hook was over 25 years ago. It's okay to try this formula again. Seems like a good franchise for it. As long as it doesn't feel like a complete retread I'm okay with it.

Ah the usual plot of kid grows up, forgets the life he had before, gets married, has a kid, work becomes more important because reasons (why always a business man? Why not a road sweeper or long haul truck driver?), Pooh comes back, man realizes what he has become during adventure, quits job, spends more time with family, happy ending.

Saved you a ticket guys.

Weirdly enough, I'm one of the few who enjoyed Quantum of Solace but other than that, I find Marc Forster to be incredibly overrated. And that plot looks pretty unimaginative but that's par for the course for Disney's useless live-action adaptations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom