• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THUMPER is pretty much a perfect game

EVO

So has anyone here played Dyad? How does that compare to Thumper? I was attracted to Dyad based on how complicated it was so when I look at videos of Thumper I see a lot of simplicity. The only saving grace is that there aren't any bullshit surprises so you're clearly reacting to what is on screen instead of being forced to memorize sections.

That simplicity seems to be why a lot of people are praising it for being laser focused but Dyad shows there are more ways to getting into a groove.

Both games are special but overall I enjoyed Thumper more. Dyad certainly has more variety and can be seriously intoxicating at times, but I found it a lot harder to read visually than Thumper. Make no mistake though, later sections in Thumper move so fast that you probably will have to memorize them, at least on your first time through.

Zakalwe

Banned
Watched the trailer and was filled with cosmic dread. So thank you for that.

I'll be getting this on Switch for sure.

Takat

The game is hard, but once you get into a groove it's rewarding. I don't think I'll ever do Super on every level. I may try to finish it first.

zigg

The game is hard, but once you get into a groove it's rewarding. I don't think I'll ever do Super on every level. I may try to finish it first.
I pushed for all S-ranks on levels 1-3.

I stopped doing that on level 4. 😄

Jyester

After struggling with level 6 for a bit, I surprisingly breezed through level 7 without any trouble. It's so satisfying to shoot Crakhed in the face.

I generally don't mind the lasers that much, but having them in a boss level is making me grind my teeth. Some of these really require practice to nail the patterns, and adding the laser makes it a little too frustrating at times. Sometimes you simply do not have enough time to react if you don't already have the track memorized. Reminds me a bit of old NES and SNES games where you're fighting your way back to a difficult level only to go game over again.

I don't mind the recurring boss. Each time he appears, he's a bit more freaky-looking than before. For example, in World 1 he's just a head, but in World 7 he's a head with spiky tentacles!

He reminds me a bit of Nemesis in Resident Evil 3, in how he's a recurring foe who grows stronger with each encounter. Makes him feel persistent, like a thorn in my side. I imagine it'll be very satisfying to smite him once and for all in World 9.

I hear you, but I don't really feel any personality behind Crakhed so it might as well be a different character as far as I'm concerned. His design is cool, and I would've liked to see them come up with 9 crazy monster designs,

Yeah that'd be nice. So far it just seems like it's just going to be doing slightly different variations, but just something more different would be welcomed.

I think it adds to it but not in a super obvious manner, like it doesn't stand out on its own but in conjunction with or compliment to the audio/video it's really well done. Like it's so perfectly in sync with everything else that it seamlessly blends in as part of the experience, I feel like it doesn't stand out because it's just so well integrated.
Perhaps I'd miss it if it wasn't there. But to be honest, I never really minded the PS3 Dual Shock either.

?oe?oe

I was at 6-19. Accidentally pressed restart instead of restart from checkpoint. Had to do all of 6 again! I didn't mind, I breezed through and I got better scores this time :)

Sometimes there is a bit of memorisation to be had, but you can focus on the sounds and look at the upcoming track to see those quick 1-2 turns. It feels great to pass a crazy quick section on your first go!

zigg

Curious how far into the game everyone's got before throwing in the towel.

I had to take a mental health break (not caused by Thumper, heh) but I'm back on 6. 9 still looks really tough from where I sit.

Neiteio

I had to take a mental health break (not caused by Thumper, heh) but I'm back on 6. 9 still looks really tough from where I sit.
The ARMS demo sidetracked me. :) I'm currently in the middle of World 8 in Thumper, at a brutal section involving parallel tracks and laser rings. Fun, though!

I just got here last night! I only gave it a few tries before taking a break.

Gregtis

I'm able to adapt to the minor input lag on my TV in this game pretty well. But it got me thinking, wouldn't it be cool if the Switch had an app for testing input and display lag?

It could be a simple game that tests your reaction time in handheld mode (0 display or input lag), tabletop mode (0 display lag, possibly some input lag) and tv mode (possibly display AND input lag). It would assume your reaction time is roughly consistent so the differences would be attributed to lag.

I'm sure they'll never do it, but perhaps it could be done in the web browser eventually.

More on topic: just finished level 6, and DAMN that boss was a difficulty spike for me. Otherwise, the difficulty curve has been consistent and great.

Neiteio

More on topic: just finished level 6, and DAMN that boss was a difficulty spike for me. Otherwise, the difficulty curve has been consistent and great.
Yeah, the World 6 boss was tough. The World 7 boss is much easier, though. (Or maybe I just got lucky — only took me a few tries.)

hotcyder

Played it for the first time over the weekend on a friends switch

It was utterly terrifying to witness first off, but playing it a few times I totally soaked into the vision they were going for.

I was sort of thinking whether it'd be possible to play it without visuals? Only as I noticed that each obstacle popping in has its own musical cue, that you have to react to 4 beats later. It could be possible that if they were unique enough you could play by audio alone (like the Rhythm Heaven games).

zigg

I was sort of thinking whether it'd be possible to play it without visuals? Only as I noticed that each obstacle popping in has its own musical cue, that you have to react to 4 beats later. It could be possible that if they were unique enough you could play by audio alone (like the Rhythm Heaven games).
Personally, I can barely or just plain can't hear the cues in some levels. My hearing isn't as good as it used to be, though.

zigg

A few new screenshots—I think all from level 6, which I'm still workin' on. Got one S rank, I just about dropped the controller.

DBMSYU3VwAEuS5V.jpg:large
DBMSvS_U0AETHmV.jpg:large
DBMct-cUMAA7MOM.jpg:large
DBMc5tVUwAAk2x4.jpg:large

So has anyone here played Dyad? How does that compare to Thumper? I was attracted to Dyad based on how complicated it was so when I look at videos of Thumper I see a lot of simplicity. The only saving grace is that there aren't any bullshit surprises so you're clearly reacting to what is on screen instead of being forced to memorize sections.

That simplicity seems to be why a lot of people are praising it for being laser focused but Dyad shows there are more ways to getting into a groove.

Thumper is a far better game.

Neiteio

Whew, world 7 had a couple of difficulty spikes, but the boss was much easier like you said.
Yeah, the challenge in World 7 mainly comes from the sheer length of lengths. There are fewer levels overall, but the levels that are there are quite the endurance test! :-O

kAmui-

Bought this on Switch. Just finished the first level and my hands are already sweating it was so intense. There might be something to this game.

the gameplay is great but the music is not to my taste at all.

I wouldn't even really call it music. It's mainly just psychedelic haunting rhythmic glory. I can't tell if this happens when you're doing well or something, but sometimes melodies start coming in and it does something to my brain, like I get super focused and pumped. This game really does weird things to your head sometimes and I love it.

Very fun game. I took a break at level 8 simply because it was so intense in VR, I tried it normally but didn't enjoy it at all. I get the feeling of coming up in certain sections of the game when played in VR which is brilliant however I total lost my skills and need to practice some more before I try to continue from where I left off.

Neiteio

Very fun game. I took a break at level 8 simply because it was so intense in VR, I tried it normally but didn't enjoy it at all. I get the feeling of coming up in certain sections of the game when played in VR which is brilliant however I total lost my skills and need to practice some more before I try to continue from where I left off.
They apparently modified the camera in the Switch version. In other words, playing in 2D on PS4 isn't the same as playing in 2D on Switch.

They apparently modified the camera in the Switch version. In other words, playing in 2D on PS4 isn't the same as playing in 2D on Switch.

I honestly can't see how changing the camera angle or aspect ratio would make too much of a difference, though I can imagine it certainly could improve the ability to see whats coming. For me VR gives more of a synaesthesia like experience. The mix of the animated tendril like decorations, the speed, colours, light, harsh sounds and the imposing scale all mixed into one make for something quite special and only thing that I have ever had that comes remotely close are drugs, I don't really know how to explain it and probably very unique to myself.

Neiteio

I honestly can't see how changing the camera angle or aspect ratio would make too much of a difference, though I can imagine it certainly could improve the ability to see whats coming. For me VR gives more of a synaesthesia like experience. The mix of the animated tendril like decorations, the speed, colours, light, harsh sounds and the imposing scale all mixed into one make for something quite special and only thing that I have ever had that comes remotely close are drugs, I don't really know how to explain it and probably very unique to myself.
Sure, I'm just saying I wouldn't gauge the playability in 2D based on the old camera in the PS4/PC version.

I'd like to get this on Switch, but I bought Fast RMX at launch and only played it a couple of times because Zelda is still taking all my play time (which is also currently limited)... I worry if I buy Thumper I'll end up ignoring it until I'm done with Zelda... So rationally I should wait :/

My hunch was right...

18814523_271809953291098_5761550775374019953_o.jpg

Haven't launched the game after the first day, even though I liked it.

Neiteio

My hunch was right...

18814523_271809953291098_5761550775374019953_o.jpg

Haven't launched the game after the first day, even though I liked it.
Your post caused me to waste several minutes on Google Image search looking for a screencap of the end of OoT where Ganondorf is floating off into the void saying "CURSE YOU, ZELDA!" I would've then posted it here, we would've had a sensible chuckle, and all would be well.

But alas... My image search skills have failed me.

Your post caused me to waste several minutes on Google Image search looking for a screencap of the end of OoT where Ganondorf is floating off into the void saying "CURSE YOU, ZELDA!" I would've then posted it here, we would've had a sensible chuckle, and all would be well.

But alas... My image search skills have failed me.

Probably you didn't find it because no such image exists:

IWJTIyKl.jpg

Ganon doesn't appear over the void until the next text bubble "Curse you Link!" (Or whatever the player named him). Source: YouTube

Neiteio

Probably you didn't find it because no such image exists:

IWJTIyKl.jpg

Ganon doesn't appear over the void until the next text bubble "Curse you Link!" (Or whatever the player named him). Source: YouTube
Ah, that explains it!

*Neiteio spins off into the void of bottomless image searches*

Copper

HD rumble feels fantastic. I'd love to play it on VR with HD rumble. Just made it to the 3rd level loving it so far.

HD rumble feels fantastic. I'd love to play it on VR with HD rumble. Just made it to the 3rd level loving it so far.

I wish to understand what makes HD Rumble feel fantastic to some people while others find it so underwhelming and almost imperceptible (I'm in the latter group, at least in this game based on my limited play time).

It's sort of like 3D was on the 3DS. Some people absolutely loved it and it was their favorite thing about the system (I'm one of them), while others (seemingly majority) didn't care for it or even hated it.

Gustavoh

Neo Member

I have to admit I contemplated giving up at the level 9 boss, but did not and eventually made it. What a game! Perfect indeed, pure distilled gameplay.

Devs, if you're reading this: bravo!

JaseMath

Having spent some time with THUMPER, I can safely assert this is not a game for old people. After playing through the second and third levels (and giving up on the boss), I felt like I was developing cataracts.

Remember those old WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL ads? That's literally the video game version of THUMPER.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I can't play this game is long sessions. Great, though.

I don't feel HD Rumble in this game at all, but I feel it in Fast RMX... I don't know why.

Stuck in 2-12... can't play this game well when tired or sleepy, need to be fully rested.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I don't feel HD Rumble in this game at all, but I feel it in Fast RMX... I don't know why.

Stuck in 2-12... can't play this game well when tired or sleepy, need to be fully rested.

Have you tried playing it with the joycons in each hand, that tends to get the most hd rumble

J@hranimo

Banned

The rumble is much less prominent in the Pro Controller but it's still there. They actually explained why that is in their AMA a while back, but like someone said before joycons have a much more noticeable rumble.

Have you tried playing it with the joycons in each hand, that tends to get the most hd rumble

The rumble is much less prominent in the Pro Controller but it's still there. They actually explained why that is in their AMA a while back, but like someone said before joycons have a much more noticeable rumble.

Yes I have played with a joycon in each hand and in handheld mode, didn't feel a difference. And in Fast RMX the rumble feels better to me in handheld mode than separate joycons.

I don't have a Pro Controller.

Top Bottom