• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thurrott: MS to announce a new standard Xbox controller and maybe Xbox Elite at E3

Status
Not open for further replies.

nib95

Banned
Nah, I'd much rather switch out Eneloops every 30 hours than have to plug it in every 6 hours. Heck, even if the battery lives were comparable, I'd still rather have the freedom to remove the batteries and pop in new ones.

Like I said, I get 10 out of my Anniversary DS4. But why does it have to even be 10? Why can't Microsoft just make one with a larger lithium ion battery that lasts say, 15 hours or more? Or like I said, just include the play and charge kit, which I believe already has longer battery life than that. I don't actually know how long the new play and charge kit battery lasts because I charge it intermittently without thinking about it, and as far as I can remember it's never run out of charge.

jfoul

Microsoft are so out of touch with PC gaming

Where is Halo 3?

Why are you making this so difficult?

euzoa8s.gif

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'd like a USB microphone that is much smaller than much so I can throw away my Kinect. I don't need a mic in the controller because I use voice control most when the controller is off - watching TV etc. Any new console revision could have mics built into the console too

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Symmetrical makes no sense. They don't have symmetrical use, why would they be symmetrically positioned? Left stick is better positioned for up/down (ie, movement) and right stick for left/right (ie camera). I will say that symmetrical looks nicer, but that's all it has.

Whether people prefer the comfort of asymmetrical or not, this makes no sense. These days, dual analog sticks are often the primary inputs in stick is mouse look and is used constantly, left stick is movement and is used constantly. Face buttons at secondary as the triggers have taken over as primary button inputs. That would suggest symmetrical would be a more logical layout.

Personally I can use either without really thinking about it

I get 10 hours of battery on my 20th Anniversary DS4, and it charges in like a few minutes. It's more than sufficient and I don't even notice the battery life because the few moments it's on charge, during updates or whatever is more than sufficient. The regular DS4's 6 hour batter or whatever, I agree can be a nuisance. With that said, Eneloops are still not only an inconvenience to charge, but they also cost extra money too. Not just the batteries themselves but the charger too. In the end despite owning Eneloops and a charging station, I still just ended up picking up the Play & Charge Kit for my Xbox One pad and Elite controller. It's just more convenient.

Microsoft should really be including the play & charge kit with every controller, or putting in rechargeable lithium ion batteries that have better battery life than the standard DS4, and can still be charged with a micro USB cable. Built in batteries are just much more convenient, especially when the battery life is decent. I much prefer just slotting in a cable for a few minutes (or just leaving it in at times), than having to take manually remove the cover, take the batteries out, stick them in a wall charger, and then stick the next batch of batteries back in. Even though you do it less often, it's more annoying.

Just, no. Built in batteries are the only thing I dislike about my Vive controllers. I would rather not have to worry about plugging my controller into anything after I'm done playing or even in the middle of playing because I know I will eventually forget and viola, the next time I go to play I have a dead or nearly dead battery.

Plus, the xbox one play and charge kit right now is $23.95. The best eneloops deal that I've found atm comes with 4 batteries and a smart charger for $17.78.

The average lifespan of the PS4 built in battery according to several threads around the internet on the topic is 8-10 hours after fiddling/gimping with it or 7-8 non fiddled with. I will reference this thread for now.

Xbox controller in contrast with the aforementioned eneloops lasts 20+ hours on average. (Much longer than that in my experience.)

For the PS4 method, as I understand, you have to keep your controller plugged in when not in use. So after playing you need to "fiddle" with it. When the batteries die you have to chain your controller to a socket/port and possibly change where you are sitting in order to be within range of it or out of the way of traffic that could trip over it. Or even take a break wasting precious gaming time and wait for the controllers to charge.

With the Xbox eneloop method after you are pressed for time because you've kept playing,"Just one more round!" and you need to go do those important things you should be doing quick, you just sit your controller down. No fiddling. The charger that I linked is a smart charger. You can keep it plugged into the wall at all times with batteries in it and not have to worry about it. When the batteries in the controller eventually die mid gaming session you just take the old ones out, slot the new ones in and put the dead ones on the charger and get back to playing cable free and the old batteries will be charged by the next time you need them. Bonus, you can use them for other things if you need to.

Oh, and please don't get this twisted. This isn't an xbox vs playstation thing this is a Built in vs eneloop/removable rechargeable thing.

This doesn't even get into the wastefulness of built in batteries dying and needing to replace the entire device. Yes, I know it's possible to replace most of them but not for your average Joe.

Alx

Whether people prefer the comfort of asymmetrical or not, this makes no sense. These days, dual analog sticks are often the primary inputs in stick is mouse look and is used constantly, left stick is movement and is used constantly. Face buttons at secondary as the triggers have taken over as primary button inputs. That would suggest symmetrical would be a more logical layout.

That's mostly true if you're playing shooters. Which is probably the main genre nowadays, but stick + buttons is still more versatile.
Anyway I don't understand why it's such a big issue for gamers since both configurations are perfectly playable indeed.

Barakov

Gold Member
I'm good with the wired 360 controller. Thanks anyway, unless they make it like that I'm not interested. I'll just stick with the controller I have on PC.

jfoul

Just, no. Built in batteries are the only thing I dislike about my Vive controllers. I would rather not have to worry about plugging my controller into anything after I'm done playing or even in the middle of playing because I know I will eventually forget and viola, the next time I go to play I have a dead or nearly dead battery.

Plus, the xbox one play and charge kit right now is $23.95. The best eneloops deal that I've found atm comes with 4 batteries and a smart charger for $17.78.

The average lifespan of the PS4 built in battery according to several threads around the internet on the topic is 8-10 hours after fiddling/gimping with it or 7-8 non fiddled with. I will reference this thread for now.

Xbox controller in contrast with the aforementioned eneloops lasts 20+ hours on average. (Much longer than that in my experience.)

For the PS4 method, as I understand, you have to keep your controller plugged in when not in use. So after playing you need to "fiddle" with it. When the batteries die you have to chain your controller to a socket/port and possibly change where you are sitting in order to be within range of it or out of the way of traffic that could trip over it. Or even take a break wasting precious gaming time and wait for the controllers to charge.

With the Xbox eneloop method after you are pressed for time because you've kept playing,"Just one more round!" and you need to go do those important things you should be doing quick, you just sit your controller down. No fiddling. The charger that I linked is a smart charger. You can keep it plugged into the wall at all times with batteries in it and not have to worry about it. When the batteries in the controller eventually die mid gaming session you just take the old ones out, slot the new ones in and put the dead ones on the charger and get back to playing cable free and the old batteries will be charged by the next time you need them. Bonus, you can use them for other things if you need to.

Oh, and please don't get this twisted. This isn't an xbox vs playstation thing this is a Built in vs eneloop/removable rechargeable thing.

This doesn't even get into the wastefulness of built in batteries dying and needing to replace the entire device. Yes, I know it's possible to replace most of them but not for your average Joe.

What's your opinion on the Eneloop Pro. I've used and own the Eneloop white label, and Amazon Basics High Capacity, which are supposedly a previous gen Eneloop. Both have been amazing so far across all of my controllers.

Mrbob

I'm still trying to figure out the link which get people excited about ms merging win 10 with xbox. PC gamers don't care about xbox or streaming xb1 games to PC. Xbox gamers play on Xbox because they don't want a PC. UWP doesn't help unless developers are specifically making a uwp version but this is hard to support when everyone on PC gets games on Steam. I don't see many devs spending extra time and money for such a small niche market uwp brings.

TBiddy

I'm still trying to figure out the link which get people excited about ms merging win 10 with xbox. PC gamers don't care about xbox or streaming xb1 games to PC. Xbox gamers play on Xbox because they don't want a PC.

Some of us have our XB1 in the living room, where we do not have exclusive rights to use the TV, since there's also a girlfriend in the house, who wants to use it. That's where the streaming come in.

What's your opinion on the Eneloop Pro. I've used and own the Eneloop white label, and Amazon Basics High Capacity, which are supposedly a previous gen Eneloop. Both have been amazing so far across all of my controllers.

From NLee the engineer on amazon,

[Q1] Why are there so many eneloop batteries with different capacity ratings and cycle-life numbers?
[A] There are actually three families of eneloop batteries:
- Standard version: The original Sanyo eneloop (circa 2006) was rated for capacity of 2000mAh typical for AA (800mAh for AAA) and 1000-cycle lifespan. Subsequent generations advertise longer lifespan (1500/1800/2100-cycles) at the same capacity. The charge retention rates have steadily extended from "85% after 1 year" to "90% after 1 year; 70% after 5 years"
(Refer to my uploaded photo on how to identify different generations of eneloop cells)
- High-Capacity version: The original Sanyo XX (circa 2010) was rated for 2500mAh but only 500 cycles. The charge-retention rate is slightly poorer at "75% after 1 year". Newer Panasonic eneloop PRO bumped the capacity to 2550mAh and charge-retention rate to "85% after 1 year".
- LITE version: Those have half the capacity of standard eneloop but twice the cycle life. They are not marketed in the US.

[Q2] Do I get better performance from the latest generation Panasonic eneloop cells verses earlier generation Sanyo eneloop cells?
[A] On paper, newer generation offers longer cycle life and lower self-discharge rate. In practice, however, you’ll see no difference since they all have the same capacity. The difference in charge retention rate and cycle life may become noticeable after ~10 year, if at all.

Also, about the amazon cells,

[Q6] What about the AmazonBasics Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries?
[A] To clarify, there are three different versions of AmazonBasic rechargeable NiMH batteries:
- The original AmazonBasics AA NiMH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries came in black wrappers. They are made in China and have the capacity rating of 2000mAh. They are NOT as good as Sanyo eneloop batteries.
- The second version of AmazonBasics Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries came in white wrappers. They are made in Japan and also have the capacity rating of 2000mAh. They appear to be rebranded 2nd-gen eneloop.
- The third version is also black but called AmazonBasics High-Capacity Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries. They appear to be rebranded eneloop PRO. They are rated 2400mAh, but actual capacity is around 2550mAh.

Alx

I'm still trying to figure out the link which get people excited about ms merging win 10 with xbox. PC gamers don't care about xbox or streaming xb1 games to PC. Xbox gamers play on Xbox because they don't want a PC. UWP doesn't help unless developers are specifically making a uwp version but this is hard to support when everyone on PC gets games on Steam. I don't see many devs spending extra time and money for such a small niche market uwp brings.

You have to remember that not everything is about games. Most people on GAF may use their console as a pure gaming device, but they're meant to be much more than that. And for each time someone says "I wish service xyz had an app on my console", the universal store increases the chances for that to happen.

Mrbob

XB1 seems to have all the entertainment apps. I'm trying to figure out what the windows 10 store brings xb1 users. It is mostly full of garbage. The only good thing I can think of is when MS ran a 10 cent special on movie rentals. Then you could watch the movies on xb1 wth your account, but this is a very specific case.

Jumeira

Banned
Finally symmetrical?
Don't want to make it unusable.

Symmetrical sticks? Built-in batteries?

What the fuck am I reading?

I'm with the guy that said these nutters don't know any better. Theyre are huge flaws. It's a pain having to charge my PS4 pad every few hours, such shoddy design by Sony. Don't get me started on how I can't turn it off when watching Netflix, while eats away battery with that stupid light bar. It's useless, I have no need for it, why is it on?

From a traditional standpoint, it does feel different. But from a tech standpoint in comparison to the rest of the consumer world, it feels just as natural of a progression.

The quietness is to be expected, just as most tech makers. You plan, gauge the market, etc..

Yep. And explains AMD's super glowing confidence in the APU growth sector, banking on it hardcore since 2013, when it is only really used mainly in these consoles.

Hard to tell, but I am confident they have one in the works. I hope they do show at El though. Excited to see what both have to offer.

Yep. It would be kind of weird though if they show a more smaller Xbox One for the holidays or actually right away and also announce that much improved Xbox console for 2017 or so. I don't really see that happening.

I never understand why people rather not have a option to put in rechargables in the controller. Look at the DS4, doesn't last really long at all and no option at all to use rechargables. Whereas with Xbox One controller i put my Panasonic Eneloops batts in there and about 30 hours later i need to replace them for others, it's perfect. No cables, no nonsense.

MaulerX

XB1 seems to have all the entertainment apps. I'm trying to figure out what the windows 10 store brings xb1 users. It is mostly full of garbage. The only good thing I can think of is when MS ran a 10 cent special on movie rentals. Then you could watch the movies on xb1 wth your account, but this is a very specific case.

There are a lot of great apps in there. Personally I use myTube! as my main YouTube app. Anybody that has used it knows what I'm talking about. It lets you download the videos for offline viewing and has other features the official YouTube app does not. That's just one example but the prospect of getting to use apps like these on the XB1 is pretty enticing.

pastrami

I never understand why people rather not have a option to put in rechargables in the controller. Look at the DS4, doesn't last really long at all and no option at all to use rechargables. Whereas with Xbox One controller i put my Panasonic Eneloops batts in there and about 30 hours later i need to replace them for others, it's perfect. No cables, no nonsense.

Not everyone has rechargeable batteries, or wants to buy them for a single product. I can only think of 2 things I use AA batteries for. Clocks and remotes, both of which last years without replacement. I can't recall the last time I bought a pack of AA batteries. Ideally, Microsoft would include the Play and Charge kit with every controller.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I'd like cortana to work more like a general assistant than purely for games - hey cortana what's the weather tomorrow, that sort of thing.

But for apps I agree - I suppose this is MS trying to make UWP more attractive but they're pretty much starting from the bottom. Can only get better though, right?

PG2G

I think the move is more about how Xbox is going to bring to W10 and all of corresponding ecosystem benefits (e.g. Cross buy, cross play). For consumers it's good because they can play the games they want on the hardware they want.

You can question whether companies will put in the resources to make UWP games, but if they are making XB1 games then they are already putting in the effort.

I honestly think the controller is great as is, when it has the grips. The grips are almost a necessity now, and I didn't think I'd say that before.

All of the SE controllers -- which cost $74.99 plus tax here -- should have them. Otherwise, they're screwing us.

A new Xbox device seems like a safe bet. Sony forced their hands, Microsoft are followers.

I think is the other way around. Sony knew that MS would update and were forced to do the same. Their hand just (in purpose) leak earlier. Being the leader and most powerfull condole there was no real need for PS4K.

I honestly think the controller is great as is, when it has the grips. The grips are almost a necessity now, and I didn't think I'd say that before.

Agreed. Grips are great. Didn't realize how much I'd like them.

This a bit of a stretch, but I'd like the trigger stops to become standard too.

I bought the Elite for the paddles, but the stops turned out to be my favorite upgrade.

gamz

From NLee the engineer on amazon,

[Q1] Why are there so many eneloop batteries with different capacity ratings and cycle-life numbers?
[A] There are actually three families of eneloop batteries:
- Standard version: The original Sanyo eneloop (circa 2006) was rated for capacity of 2000mAh typical for AA (800mAh for AAA) and 1000-cycle lifespan. Subsequent generations advertise longer lifespan (1500/1800/2100-cycles) at the same capacity. The charge retention rates have steadily extended from "85% after 1 year" to "90% after 1 year; 70% after 5 years"
(Refer to my uploaded photo on how to identify different generations of eneloop cells)
- High-Capacity version: The original Sanyo XX (circa 2010) was rated for 2500mAh but only 500 cycles. The charge-retention rate is slightly poorer at "75% after 1 year". Newer Panasonic eneloop PRO bumped the capacity to 2550mAh and charge-retention rate to "85% after 1 year".
- LITE version: Those have half the capacity of standard eneloop but twice the cycle life. They are not marketed in the US.

[Q2] Do I get better performance from the latest generation Panasonic eneloop cells verses earlier generation Sanyo eneloop cells?
[A] On paper, newer generation offers longer cycle life and lower self-discharge rate. In practice, however, you’ll see no difference since they all have the same capacity. The difference in charge retention rate and cycle life may become noticeable after ~10 year, if at all.

Also, about the amazon cells,

[Q6] What about the AmazonBasics Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries?
[A] To clarify, there are three different versions of AmazonBasic rechargeable NiMH batteries:
- The original AmazonBasics AA NiMH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries came in black wrappers. They are made in China and have the capacity rating of 2000mAh. They are NOT as good as Sanyo eneloop batteries.
- The second version of AmazonBasics Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries came in white wrappers. They are made in Japan and also have the capacity rating of 2000mAh. They appear to be rebranded 2nd-gen eneloop.
- The third version is also black but called AmazonBasics High-Capacity Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries. They appear to be rebranded eneloop PRO. They are rated 2400mAh, but actual capacity is around 2550mAh.

Thanks for this. I always bought the Amazon batteries and never had issues with them.

gamz

I think is the other way around. Sony knew that MS would update and were forced to do the same. Their hand just (in purpose) leak earlier. Being the leader and most powerfull condole there was no real need for PS4K.

Exactly, and MS has a history of pushing the console forward and this is no different.

JaggedSac

I bet there was pressure from some big publishers to not have complete gen changes anymore and that is why both companies are doing it.

TBiddy

Yes, we know that and we don't know what the new one will be called anyway.

I think it has been mentioned on every single page of this thread, so far. It's almost as if people don't read the thread or even the OP.

I just hope they learned that gamers care about hardware power. They want their investment to be rewarded with gorgeous looking games that run smoothly. Hopefully this thing is a substantial enough leap and is worth buying. Also they better have trade in programs especially in Microsofts case if they're going to have gamers switching. Maybe the elite controller is going to become standard.

LordRaptor

I bet there was pressure from some big publishers to not have complete gen changes anymore and that is why both companies are doing it.

Big publishers and retailers were the first people bitching about 'fatigue' over last gens overly extended lifespan though.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Not everyone has rechargeable batteries, or wants to buy them for a single product. I can only think of 2 things I use AA batteries for. Clocks and remotes, both of which last years without replacement. I can't recall the last time I bought a pack of AA batteries. Ideally, Microsoft would include the Play and Charge kit with every controller.

Agreed.

New UC4 DS4 controller lasts almost double of my launch one. Never has to be recharged during a long play section, and is plugged in when done gaming, and charges to full when console is put back into stand-by. I find it more convenient personally. But everyone has their own needs/tastes.

JaggedSac

Big publishers and retailers were the first people bitching about 'fatigue' over last gens overly extended lifespan though.

I would imagine that was because of the lack of new hardware. Now they can get new hardware more frequently and get it without a userbase drop to 0.

Blanquito

Yeah, that's kind of how I'm thinking about it. It's probably better for everyone involved to do incremental upgrades that are backwards compatible than to have huge jumps that require learning new tools, starting from scratch, etc.

I just hope they learned that gamers care about hardware power. They want their investment to be rewarded with gorgeous looking games that run smoothly. Hopefully this thing is a substantial enough leap and is worth buying. Also they better have trade in programs especially in Microsofts case if they're going to have gamers switching. Maybe the elite controller is going to become standard.

Would love to see this happen....but it won't. They are selling extremely well. Can't see them including these as standard controllers.

As for the the hardware speculations, I'm just calling a slim. No power increase, no new cpu, GPU etc. That will come next year.

Will gladly eat marinated crow with some hot sawce on the side if proven wrong.

Agreed.

New UC4 DS4 controller lasts almost double of my launch one. Never has to be recharged during a long play section, and is plugged in when done gaming, and charges to full when console is put back into stand-by. I find it more convenient personally. But everyone has their own needs/tastes.

And fortunately, Xbox controllers allow many options: AA batteries, rechargeable AA batteries, Play and Charge kit, or just using the USB cable for lowest controller latency.

jelly

I would be baffled if Microsoft hasn't realised performance matters. Safe to presume it will be powerful and in line with the competition.

Trade in, lol. Consumers are shit on their shoes. Maybe a token gesture like a month of Xbox Live or something for upgrading. Same with Sony.

LordRaptor

I would imagine that was because of the lack of new hardware. Now they can get new hardware more frequently and get it without a userbase drop to 0.

The speed with which publishers dropped 'cross gen' titles suggests that if they are pushing for newer hardware its not because they want to support two variations of the same title, its because they want to drop launch hardware.

Rellik

I'm not disagreeing with your post because I love my Elite controller a lot more than the DS4. But i bought the official charge dock from Sony and just put it on that after every session so my DS4 is always fully charged. There's no fiddling with cables or running out of juice.

But Eneloops sure as hell do rock. They seem to last forever and you always have replacements ready if you buy 4.

Boogdud

It aint unheard of

XboxOriginalController.jpg

But still, dont know where they could go with any more revisions

He said it was unnecessary. Going from the original xbox controller to the S was, compltely necessary. That thing was an abomination. It was like a mid-90's VCR had sex with a can of Jolt Cola, a bag of pogs, and a Big Mac.

JaggedSac

The speed with which publishers dropped 'cross gen' titles suggests that if they are pushing for newer hardware its not because they want to support two variations of the same title, its because they want to drop launch hardware.

The support for variations of performance for the same title is now mostly a software problem that is being looked at from the platform holder perspective. Previous gen change was a much larger effort to support the two platforms. Drastically different sdks, in some cases hardware architecture, etc. MS is shooting for a single software development platform across their devices from this point on. Sony doesn't have such a platform but they are shooting for the variations to be handled as seamlessly as possible it appears.

Kibbles

That 125 dollar controller you just bought? Oh yeah, that's outdated now.
$149, and my left bumper broke a few months in and they wouldn't fix it. Never buying a premium controller from these thieves again so I hope this basic one is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom