• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time: 13 Reasons I’d Still Pick Nintendo’s Wii U Over the PS4 and Xbox One

Rolf NB

Actually ZombiU - the most hardcore game last + current gen (yes, I said that, ZombiU is more hardcore than Demon's/Dark Souls) - was the best selling 3rd party game, wasn't it?

Late + shit ports don't sell well. And I consider that a good thing.
Supporting a platform where the audience is openly toxic towards your products is a waste of money.

It's a miracle anyone even tried with the Wii U, given that the platform's basically designed to alienate anyone but Nintendo fans.

atpbx

To be fair thats a special article, they have manage to give me 13 reasons to buy a Wii U, none of which give me any reason to buy a Wii U.

Its cheap, its got a tablet controller, it has Mario and Zzzzzzzzzzzzzelda games on there, its not as powerful as other consoles and it doesnt have any third party support.

Compelling arguments I am sure we all agree.

I actually had a Wii U on pre order for release day and cancelled it a week before.

danmaku

Supporting a platform where the audience is openly toxic towards your products is a waste of money.

It's a miracle anyone even tried with the Wii U, given that the platform's basically designed to alienate anyone but Nintendo fans.

Actually, it was designed with the opposite goal: the controller is much more standard than the Wiimote and it's powerful enough to run PS360 games. Unfortunately it was too little too late. It's still very much a Nintendo console with little room for others. Considering Nintendo has problems with 3rd parties since the N64, they should've tried much harder to please them.

Rolf NB

Actually, it was designed with the opposite goal: the controller is much more standard than the Wiimote and it's powerful enough to run PS360 games. Unfortunately it was too little too late. It's still very much a Nintendo console with little room for others. Considering Nintendo has problems with 3rd parties since the N64, they should've tried much harder to please them.
The PS3 is also equipped with a standard controller, and powerful enough to run PS360 games, but much cheaper. The Wii at least had a great price at launch.

Anyone who liked the Wii because of the Wiimote was alienated by its relegation to sideshow on the Wii U.
Anyone who truly believed "graphics don't matter", and was thusly content with the Wii alone through its gen, had no reason to get excited about the Wii U.
Anyone who just bought whatever was cheapest and would do it again today will certainly notice that last gen platforms are still readily available and have some pretty significant advantages in pricing, catalog and platform features.

... unless of course you really must have the latest Nintendo 1st party games in your life. Which is ok. But for most of the audience that sometimes, occasionally cares about 3rd-party games, the Wii U is the secondary system, for the Nintendo games, and for anything else they already have better options.

This is why all multiplatform games will continue to bomb on the Wii U: if you have a Wii U you either really never gave a fuck about 3rd party, or you do, but own another supported platform (because you do). There is no third category.

GoaThief

Good for the author. Can't say any of the arguments are particularly compelling and a number are outright ridiculous such as the new development centre.

If I had to lose a current gaming platform the Wii U would be first on my list without hesitation.

I don't understand where articles like this come from. This whole "investing in a console" bullshit, encompassing all of the minor details like those in the article, seem so out of touch with video games that I feel alienated by the hobby every time I read them.

I bought a WiiU early 2014 because there were games I wanted to play. I bought a PS4 this summer because there were games I wanted to play. That's it. Sales of the console? Doesn't matter. Nintendo opened a new development studio? Tell me when the game's out.

flkraven

This article is awful and hilarious. Other than the Wii U having the best 1st party games so far, everything else is either not really a good support case or outright wrong.

Nintendo went with a regular controller this time, it has all the buttons and I assume they did it exactly to get some 3rd party games.

Also, when a game is good I'll buy it, I own MH3, ZombiU, and Shovel Knight but I would never touch any crappy port the Wii U got.

OmegaDL50

Sorry I don't lap up any shit that is thrown in front of me by Publishers who intentionally release shoddy half-effort ports that are 6 months later then any other platform.

The key point of being a "product" in of itself is the key here. It's a consumer to company business transaction. If a company expects customers to buy their product then the onus is on them to give compelling reasons to warrant giving them money for their product in the first place.

It's not a charity. If a company wants my money, then some actual effort and goodwill go a long way for them getting my dollars.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
1. Because it still has the first- and second-party games I most want to play now

Good for them and I'm glad they're still around for people who like their games. I sold my Wii U after six months after finally accepting that I just don't dig many Nintendo games anymore.

2. Nintendo doesn’t need third parties the way Microsoft and Sony do

Not sure how this is a strength. Variety in the library is always a plus, especially since most people only own one console. Myself included as I don't have the free time to justify multiple platforms anymore. I went PS4 as I like Sony exclusives more than the other two, and I can get all the third party games that interest me (and they run better than on the other platforms).

3. Nintendo just opened a massive new game development center in Kyoto

Good for their fans, but as they'll probably keep making the same genres/styles of games it's moot for those of us who aren't much into their games anymore.

4. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U is already buoying the system (as Mario Kart 8 before it)

Two series that never appealed to me much. Not fun, IMO, outside of local co-op. And that's something I've seldom done post college dorms.

5. Speaking of, the Wii U’s 2015 lineup looks terrific

Yes it does for Nintendo fans. Nothing their for me and many others.

6. Off-TV gaming still rules

I have a man cave with 55" TV I don't share with my fiance. No need for playing on a tiny screen.

7. It’s the only portable game console

I don't care about gaming enough to want to take a console with me on the road. If I'm traveling I'm either busy with work, or am taking trip to get away from all the normal stuff--work, TV, gaming etc.

8. It’s powerful enough…

...for the graphic styles Nintendo uses, which don't appeal to me. I want to play games that look like Dragon Age Inquisition, Infamous Second Son etc.

9. …while not at all power-hungry

My green side likes this point, but it's super inconsequential to my budget so not a big deal.

10. It has the Virtual Console plus Wii backward-compatiblity

I rarely replay games, especially old ones, as I don't have near enough time to keep up with the AAA games on PS4 that interest me--and that's even in a semi-slow first year.

11. It’s an unabashed games console, not a media player.

Moot point. I don't use the PS4 media features (have a Roku on the gaming TV, Apple TV in the main media room) and they aren't obtrusive or in the way. Thus it's purely a gaming machine to me.

12. Amiibo adds gameplay wrinkles no one else has

I'd never buy gaming related toys--or toys period. No offense to people who are in to them, just not my cup of tea. I loathe knickknacks and don't collect anything.

13. It’s still the cheapest current-gen console

Don't care. PS4 (and X1 if I had time for a 2nd console) are easily with in my budget.

HyperOne

Banned
Having to use Amiibos (The name alone almost makes me bust out laughing) as a reason to buy a console is pretty funny...

Look, I like the WiiU and all, but the apologists and fanbois are getting a touch out of hand.

I have a GREAT idea for Nintendo...

Release a TRUE next gen console that can play great third parties AND your first parties.

Congrats, Nintendo just won the gen wars.

Having to use Amiibos (The name alone almost makes me bust out laughing) as a reason to buy a console is pretty funny...

Look, I like the WiiU and all, but the apologists and fanbois are getting a touch out of hand.

I have a GREAT idea for Nintendo...

Release a TRUE next gen console that can play great third parties AND your first parties.

Congrats, Nintendo just won the gen wars.

Doubtful. If Nintendo released a true next gen console that actually got third party support it would keep Nintendo fans from needing a second console or PC. People who prefer Sony or MS exclusives will still buy those consoles.

Top Bottom