• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time: 13 Reasons I’d Still Pick Nintendo’s Wii U Over the PS4 and Xbox One

Zebra

I'm surprised by the people knocking against power consumption as a reasonable point in the Wii U's favor.

I know it's not something commonly thought about, but I think we should encourage each other to pay attention to device power consumption when we shop. It benefits us in the long run financially, and it's more environmentally friendly.

Oxn

that's just your opinion. regardless nintendo lacks the games to cator to a more mature audience. compared to ps4 and xbox

Agree with u
Im not into M rated games but i just want a deeper game. Not a kart racer, a smashing gamd, another platformer (although i do rnjoy them)

But zelda and xenoblade x will remedy that

I'm surprised by the people knocking against power consumption as a reasonable point in the Wii U's favor.

I know it's not something commonly thought about, but I think we should encourage each other to pay attention to device power consumption when we shop. It benefits us in the long run financially, and it's more environmentally friendly.

When discussing console advantages and disadvantages, reaching for "power consumption" just seems like a desperate move.

If GAF stood for Green And Friendly, it'd be less odd. But as it stands, it just kinda seems strange.

When discussing console advantages and disadvantages, reaching for "power consumption" just seems like a desperate move.

If GAF stood for Green And Friendly, it'd be less odd. But as it stands, it just kinda seems strange.

Yeah, especially since people love to brag about super power-hungry, massively powerful computer rigs that draw a ton of electricity.

More like:

"You should buy a WiiU has the best library... I said the same thing last year? Let me tell you again why it has the best library and the other consoles have broken games. You have the other consoles? Let me tell you again why it has the best library and the other consoles have broken games. "

Should have listened the first time then

Doesn't it seem like the notion of the hardcore gamer has reversed from PS/Xbox to Nintendo?

Nintendo fans come across as the most vocal about defending their brand, seemingly play the same few games for months on end (because there's not a whole lot else to play), and buy every first party title that is released.

Meanwhile the other consoles are snowballing in adoption rate and the masses move on from release to release.

These are just my observations though.

NotLiquid

Seeing how Time is a bit more broad in it's demographic than an enthusiast board like GAF which probably doesn't need convincing about this particular console (or even really cares about any -x- reasons why etc. lists) it's not a necessarily bad point to bring up. They didn't really write this article just for GAF to rip it apart.

geordiemp

Doesn't it seem like the notion of the hardcore gamer has reversed from PS/Xbox to Nintendo?

Nintendo fans come across as the most vocal about defending their brand, seemingly play the same few games for months on end (because there's not a whole lot else to play), and buy every first party title that is released.

Meanwhile the other consoles are snowballing in adoption rate and the masses move on from release to release.

These are just my observations though.

Seeing how Time is a bit more broad in it's demographic than an enthusiast board like GAF which probably doesn't need convincing about this particular console (or even really cares about any -x- reasons why etc. lists) it's not a necessarily bad point to bring up. They didn't really write this article just for GAF to rip it apart.

My Observation is there is a greater proportion of Nintendo fans on GAF than console gaming public.

For example, I live UK and there are no WiiU games in UK top 40 this week. Yet there are lots of threads proclaiming WiiU greatness on GAF almost daily.

Biker19

Banned
It means that the Wii U is significantly more power-efficient than its competitors, both current- and last gen. It even draws less power than the original Wii, yet is significantly more powerful.

xT2SqRQ.jpg

Does it feature the latest Xbox 360 & PS3 models (Xbox 360 S & PS3 Super Slim)?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The article makes some decent points. And if your looking for exclusive games with quality, Nintendo is a great choice.

But for many its nowhere near as simple as that. Its not that Nintendo doesn't "need" third party, they have no chance of having third party, and have no choice but to live off of their own output. If your not a person who liks Nintendo games as objectively high quality as they are, then obviously that being the whole appeal of the console falls apart.

And if that falls apart, everything else like it being cheaper, more power efficient and "portable' all fall apart as well.

The Wii U lives and dies by its software library implicitly of which there are only one kind of game. So, if you don't care about Nintendo games, the Wii U irrelevant to your choice of console.

Of course, the other two 8th gen consoles have their own issues as well, an anemic exclusive and third party library in 2014 with little to differentiate between the two makes them also irrelevant if you have a PC.

But i would say the Wii U's issues are much more concerning for its long time prospects. Sony and MS(especially Sony) have a great year ahead of them with a decent number of platform exclusives as well as a large stepple of third party games as well.

Nintendo, as usual, can only count on themselves, and YMMV on that.

Of course, but one can hardly be surprised that such things matter little when it gets discussed on GAF.

Biker19

Banned
Most PC gamers have rigs that require > 500 watt power supplies

Relatively all consoles are low power

I agree. Though back in the very beginning, both Xbox 360 & PS3 had overwhelmingly power supplies. Example: The original fat PS3 models uses a power supply of 380 W (!!).

By the time that PS3 slim came out, the power supply was reduced to 250 W, & now we have PS3 Super Slim in which it's power supply is at least 190 W.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
what do you...?

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

What are you disagreeing with? Nintendo by and large are the only company who support the Wii U outside of contractual projects like with Sega and Platinum. That's not a subjective opinion.

That a lot of power, I keep a switch on my systems to cut their power off when I am not using them. You would be amazed in just how much of a differnets there is in power even when they are not running.

Not really.

The Xbox One will cost you approximately 30 dollars a year to run in power.

Enosh

This article reads like Nintendo fanboy bullet points
it's hard to not get that impression when one of the things on the list is "it has less features!" as a point in it's favor

maybe it's just me, but i sure as fuck didn't mind not having to throw 200€ at a blu ray player when i got my ps3

soy.

Banned
it's a niche so-so article
of course it means almost nothing here on gaf -since we're on a very different level
but i guess for the public casuals who actually read times, it might mean something

ctrl+f Tropical Freeze and Bayonetta: Multiple hits.

We're good here folks, these are good reasons. No, not the other reasons, just the fact that he mentions those two games. The other reasons are shitty.
i bought a wiiu, because bayonetta
(u see that "bayonetta" could also be used as an adjective. that's just how badass she is)

OmegaDL50

yeah but i nreality ps4 has way more mature titles and teen titles than wii u

game intended for adults and/or a story driven game with deep themes IMO

In reality when the people generally criticize the Wii U as a "children's console" it's has nothing do with the lack of thought provoking or sophisticated games and more about the gratuitous violence, swearing, and explosions.

Ironically I wouldn't call any of the aforementioned things traits that denote maturity.

Outside of the Last of Us and some of it's themes in it's story there are very few games on either the PS4 or XB1 that dwell into actual themes for the mature individual, and I mean this by more philosophical tones and settings, even going so far dwell into subjects such as sexuality, religion, or prejudice that generally puts some people outside of there regular comfort zone.

Hell the whole Nintendo is for children nonsense and those that push this rhetoric is a bane perpetrated by the Call of Duty / Madden folks that hardly play other games. A crowd I would hardly call a shining example of the showcase for a mature individual.

When people generally talk about a lack "M-rated" titles on Nintendo hardware, they certainly aren't talking about the former but mostly the latter.

Those who generally use this sort of agenda in regards to Nintendo platforms and game releases shouldn't expect to be taken seriously at all.

cacildo

I feel better to know that the power consumption is low, because i use it a lot and power consumption is really something that cross my mind from time to time and makes me feel guilty

Now, less guilty

-Horizon-

With thanksgiving day sales nearing, I'm now back in the middle of the fence between the wii u best buy deal or the online walmart ps4 deal.

There are two upcoming games I really want on ps4: FFXV and Persona 5

There are also a few coming on wii u: splatoon, x, and zelda (and whenever SMTxFE comes out).

Maybe I'll just go wii u now and get the ps4 later after a revision/price drop. Wii u doesn't look like it'll do either soon. And I'm not in the mood to pay for ps+ yet.

akira28

Grimløck;140544535 said:
some of those reasons are laughable, namely 2, 3, 8, 9 and 11.

I dunno. They seem convincing to me, but I'm already leaning towards a WiiU purchase.

Also 11 isn't as laughable as you think.

Swamped

Banned
With thanksgiving day sales nearing, I'm now back in the middle of the fence between the wii u best buy deal or the online walmart ps4 deal.

There are also a few coming on wii u: splatoon, x, and zelda (and whenever SMTxFE comes out).

Maybe I'll just go wii u now and get the ps4 later after a revision/price drop. Wii u doesn't look like it'll do either soon. And I'm not in the mood to pay for ps+ yet.

Are...are you me? I literally just went through the same thought process today after reading this article and came to the exact same conclusion. I even thought of the same games as you!

I think I might jump on the ebay smash wii u bundle on cyber Monday though.

Yamka

Banned
That is just opinion. I would never pick a WiiU because none of their games appeal to ME.

Note, I did not say they are bad. I have no idea - I have not played a Nintendo game since the gold cartridge Zelda twenty odd years ago.

I just have no interest in their games, the look of their games, or the limitations of their product environment. I am perfectly satisfied with the product offerings of Sony and Microsoft.

-Horizon-

Are...are you me? I literally just went through the same thought process today after reading this article and came to the exact same conclusion. I even thought of the same games as you!

swamped, you are now officially my doppelgänger :3

How much is the wii u bundle on eBay going for?

Is it so laughable though? The lack of third party support hurts the Wii U tremendously, but imagine 2014 on PS4 or Xbox One without third party support vs. the Wii U. Nintendo is the only console manufacturer who can practically float the system on their own, even if it's out of necessity.

Anyone can float a system. You can say PS3 was the best place to get exclusives. That why many have a PS4.

BigDug13

It's a fine console. The problem that gaming has run into is that the best games come from publishers who can put their games on multiple consoles. The BF's, the CoD's, the Destiny's, the Ac's, the Far Cry's, the Watch Dogs, the GTA's. Basically exclusive games carrying a console is a dwindling phenomenon. And Nintendo seems to be the one and only console who can't generate sales of those other third party franchises and continues to push on trying to win with ONLY exclusives, knowing that doesn't exactly work.

For the hardcore gamer however, the Nintendo library continues to produce and so Nintendo continues to sell to the hardcore with some tremendous exclusives with a ton of polish, even if the franchises themselves are the same old shit. Nintendo just finds a way to reinvent the wheel on the same tired old franchises and somehow still produces great classics.

Grief.exe

Most arguments for the PS4 seem to center around games coming in the future, while the Wii U has the games now.

I say go for the immediate benefit, ps4 will be cheaper next Black Friday and will at least have a couple compelling games at that point.

swamped, you are now officially my doppelgänger :3

How much is the wii u bundle on eBay going for?

$259 for Super Mario 3D + 32 GB Wii U, $250 for 8GB Wii U + Smash.

It's a fine console. The problem that gaming has run into is that the best games come from publishers who can put their games on multiple consoles. The BF's, the CoD's, the Destiny's, the Ac's, the Far Cry's, the Watch Dogs, the GTA's. Basically exclusive games carrying a console is a dwindling phenomenon. And Nintendo seems to be the one and only console who can't generate sales of those other third party franchises and continues to push on trying to win with ONLY exclusives, knowing that doesn't exactly work.

For the hardcore gamer however, the Nintendo library continues to produce and so Nintendo continues to sell to the hardcore with some tremendous exclusives with a ton of polish, even if the franchises themselves are the same old shit. Nintendo just finds a way to reinvent the wheel on the same tired old franchises and somehow still produces great classics.

Nintendo consoles are great secondary consoles but they aren't exactly the best solo ones unless you want to play 3 games a year.

I can see that angle, the issue is diminished for me as I have a PC. Definitive version of multiplats and the insane amount of PC exclusives.

Nintendo consoles are great secondary consoles but they aren't exactly the best solo ones unless you want to play 3 games a year.

Windforce

"powerful enough"

No, it is not. I still think it's a fallacy saying power doesn't matter. If power didn't matter we'd still with our PS2 and Dreamcasts, no?

PS4 is a very clear step up in power and it does matter.

d1rtn4p

Think you meant to say best-selling...Because by no means are those games the best in anything relevant to gaming besides sales (which only matters to Neogaf)...And that whole reinventing the wheel thing that Nintendo does is called innovation :)

The Beard

I would definetly agree if we were talking about Refrigerators or lightbulbs, but for a console it's absurd.

"I really like what Sony brings to the table first party wise, and I'm also liking the fact that it's getting the best looking 3rd party ports. However, it uses 4X as much energy as the WiiU. Even though I mostly play 3rd party titles and I'm not a huge fan of Nintendo games aside from 1 or 2 of them, I think I'll buy the WiiU because… environment."

Think you meant to say best-selling...Because by no means are those games the best in anything relevant to gaming besides sales (which only matters to Neogaf)...And that whole reinventing the wheel thing that Nintendo does is called innovation :)

I don't think you understand how business or industries work?

Sales are of course largely irrelevant to the enjoyment any one consumer should get out of a game but they are incredibly important to the future of the industry for obvious reasons.

Best-selling is of course more accurate although I would probably word it something like more popular games as those tend to be multiplatform

baconcow

It is funny watching people laugh at 2 and 3, both quite valid reasons. Nintendo has always suceeded off of its first and second party software. Also, adding 1,500 new developers is an incredibly important thing to consider when they are all first party; the source of Nintendo's best software.

It is funny watching people laugh at 2 and 3, both quite valid reasons. Nintendo has always suceeded off of its first and second party software. Also, adding 1,500 new developers is an incredibly important thing to consider when they are all first party; the source of Nintendo's best software.

You think Nintendo just added 1500 new developers to their ranks?

1100 are already working for Nintendo and simply moved offices. I think it's unclear exactly how much expansion Nintendo is planning as there are other teams operating out of the building on other aspects besides software development.

I would definetly agree if we were talking about Refrigerators or lightbulbs, but for a console it's absurd.

"I really like what Sony brings to the table first party wise, and I'm also liking the fact that it's getting the best looking 3rd party ports. However, it uses 4X as much energy as the WiiU. Even though I mostly play 3rd party titles and I'm not a huge fan of Nintendo games aside from 1 or 2 of them, I think I'll buy the WiiU because… environment."

Yeah, this. I definitely understand products that are large and running 24/7 like water heaters, refrigerators, etc., but game consoles? Come on.

Just going on my energy company's rate page and using the graph posted before, running a Wii U 24/7 would cost me about 2 cents a day, a PS4 7 cents a day and an XB1 a little under 9 cents. If power consumption were a big deal for me, which it isn't at all, I'd just not turn my heat or a/c on for a day and make up the difference overall.

If my console of choice was the most energy efficient, great! If it wasn't, you shouldn't base your choice on it.

-Horizon-

Most arguments for the PS4 seem to center around games coming in the future, while the Wii U has the games now.

I say go for the immediate benefit, ps4 will be cheaper next Black Friday and will at least have a couple compelling games at that point.

$259 for Super Mario 3D + 32 GB Wii U, $250 for 8GB Wii U + Smash.
Yeah, right now wii u seems the most likely for me.
And thanks for the prices.

danm999

Sorry, how is the fact that Nintendo manages to stay in the black despite lack of major third party support a "valid" reason for a consumer to prefer the Wii U? Seems irrelevant.

I can see how it matters to Nintendo, but not to the author of the article. Even if you try and warp the point to "the types of games I like are on the Wii U" that's already been covered in point #1.

Hell, the author even says it's "a shame" that Nintendo can't lure more third party support, so I'm not sure even the author really believes what they're writing.

All they had to do was say it has better games. Some of the reasons they listed don't even make sense.

Well, that's not even true exactly, but I suppose an argument can be made that it's had more good games this year than the other two. No argument with your second sentence.

Sami+

Yep. If there's one thing the biggest major hardware flop in the company's history has proven, it's that they don't need third parties.

in the 'over there and soon', sure. not so much here and now.

Game development takes 2 - 3 years not to mention that the kyoto building for Nintendo is more a consolidation of various teams and not an expansion really so I honestly don't see how anyone can use that as a logical reason to pick one console over another at present.

Top Bottom