• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time: 13 Reasons I’d Still Pick Nintendo’s Wii U Over the PS4 and Xbox One

Bumhead

Banned
The Wii U, more than any Nintendo console, is a console for people that fans of Nintendo games. I haven't seen a Nintendo console before with such poor 3rd party support, it's kinda shocking.

I think this is simultaneously the best and worst thing about the Wii U.

If this really is the console for the Nintendo fans, then what better and more risk free way to test the waters on some old returning franchises? It's great to get Mario, Zelda, Smash, Kart and the other "known" sellers on this system, but it'd be nice for the Nintendo Fans console to start getting some of the more forgotten or obscure games that Nintendo fans are dying to see.

If we are ever going to get another Metroid, F-Zero, Pilotwings, Kid Icarus, Starfox etc, then the Wii U seems a uniquely positioned testing ground to do that. Without any particular expectation to be the game that breaks into the mass market, get them out there and see how the existing audience takes to them. It might even be an F-Zero or a Metroid - rather than say a Zelda or Kart - that gets some more of those on the fence to jump in.

EDIT: Same for new IP's too, actually, which I guess they are doing to a degree. Captain Toad and Splatoon aren't going to be the games that turn the Wii U into a 50 million unit seller, but if the 7 million existing owners support and like them then you've laid the groundwork for more franchises to work with going forward.

The Beard

Reasons why you should buy a PS3 over a WiiU this Holliday season.

1. It's cheaper.

2. It has way more games.

3. It doubles as a BluRay player.

4. It still has 3rd party support.

5. It's powerful enough.

How'd I do ?

The TIME list is a joke. Is the Wii U worth owning ? Absolutely, it has some very cool games. Did I need 13 Bullshit reasons to sway me ? No

CapHarlock

Neo Member
xT2SqRQ.jpg

That a lot of power, I keep a switch on my systems to cut their power off when I am not using them. You would be amazed in just how much of a differnets there is in power even when they are not running.

Pimpbaa

2. Nintendo doesn’t need third parties the way Microsoft and Sony do

No, but I do. I buy multiple games a month and Nintendo does not and can not release that many games. Nintendo consoles will always be good secondary gaming devices but not primary ones except for people who don't or can't play games that often. I do hope they make a console at some point that can attract a lot of 3rd party developers however.

geordiemp

Why every Nintendo threads becomes a war?

They don't, only the ones that claim some superiority over other consoles then its fair game to challenge.

The title claims WiiU is a better buy than Xb1 / ps4, so its quite right some people will not agree.

*Splinter

If I were to own one platform, it would always be Playstation or Xbox (or gaming PC, if I'm literally pissing gold).

If I were to own a second platform, it would always be a Nintendo.

I think quite a lot of gamers are like this, but not everyone would really want to own 2 consoles (this is the first generation I've done this in fact, although I've been 'tempted' at some point in every gen since N64) (Yes this is my first Nintendo console. That Wii backwards compatibility and VC for older games really sweetened the deal for me :) )

GAF MEMBER GET! Sorry... :)

Akhe

Huh? All of the 1,000 Smash Bros threads and other game threads are fine.

You see this war in every console thread that isn't about some upcoming event.

Sorry, I didn't especified corretly...I mean, threads like this.

Grimløck;140544535 said:
some of those reasons are laughable, namely 2, 3, 8, 9 and 11.

Yep. I really hate arguments like #11, both the PS4 and Xbox one play games at least as well as the Wii U, from a power stand point you could easily say that they do that better. So who cares if they pack in additional media features that don't negatively effect the systems ability to play video games?

The TIME list is a joke. Is the Wii U worth owning ? Absolutely, it has some very cool games. Did I need 13 Bullshit reasons to sway me ? No
Exactly. The Wii U, PS4, and XB1 are all offering things a little different and all IMO are worth owning. Wii U owners should be proud of what they have because Nintendo is doing awesome these days really. Stupid article but I intend to get a Wii U soon.

wachie

jenniferlawrence_ok.gif

The author was successful in his goal, writing up a click-bait article with hollow reasoning.

*Splinter

Yep. I really hate arguments like #11, both the PS4 and Xbox one play games at least as well as the Wii U, from a power stand point you could easily say that they do that better. So who cares if they pack in additional media features that don't negatively effect the systems ability to play video games?
Well nothing is free, and if these features are included that does affect the end price. If you don't personally use them then that will devalue the package as a whole.

I agree with you, it's a pretty silly thing to complain about, but in fairness it's not completely illogical.

Vena

2. It has way more games.

While this thread is silly, this isn't actually true if we're going to be putting 7th gen into the mix... and even less true if we mix up 6th gen and some softmodding.

The WiiU+Wii library is numerically enormous and the WiiU can play all of it. It can even play NGC games with a little magic.

JazzmanZ

People without good exclusive games don't have anything to do other than enter threads about platforms with the good games and cry.

you're no better dude.

Personally I wish people would quit throwing bait at each other and accept that all the consoles are equally good.

SonyToo!™;140555383 said:
I was thinking of Nintendo's current fiscal quarter but you are correct that Nintendo sunk a lot of cash into R&D and software dev.

Since you have a better picture of Nintendo's cashflow, would you say that by the end of the WiiU's life will Nintendo have broken even or even turned a small profit on it? As far as software it's worth remembering that some or all of them will be playable on their next console either through BC or a Twilight Princess type rerelease.

It's possible I suppose that Nintendo could conceivably turn a profit on the Wii U business line but I have no idea how much R&D or marketing costed for it nor what potential losses they stand to have on some of the exclusive games not making profitability themselves.

I am actually really interested to see if Nintendo does anything with games like Bayo 2 for their next console. The next nintendo console having BC won't change any games sales though as it would have no presence to illicit more sales as it were, you need marketing, discussion etc. amongst the mainstream to improve sales greatly for something like that I would imagine.

Good sales pitch for Nintendo fans I guess. For everyone else just a long written joke because how he easily brush off third-party and exclusive games from MS / Sony the same treatment can be done to the Nintendo line up.

Pimpbaa

People without good exclusive games don't have anything to do other than enter threads about platforms with the good games and cry.

Not everyone here is a child with no disposable income and only allowed to own one console. I think most people here on gaf will go out and buy a console if it has games they want.

Akhe

They don't, only the ones that claim some superiority over other consoles then its fair game to challenge.

The title claims WiiU is a better buy than Xb1 / ps4, so its quite right some people will not agree.

Yeah.

People not agree it's fine but some people exaggerate so much.

Raist

Banned
It definitely is when you multiply by the millions of people who have bought those products.

Also, the US figure is absolutely ridiculous. ~88% of that draws from non-renewable energy sources to boot.

The argument is that it can potentially influence people to buy a WiiU over a PS4/XB1.
I'm calling bullshit on that one, when the difference between these consoles is ~1% your average yearly electricity consumption, and typically less that a microwave oven or a fridge.

I think the people who look at the consoles' power consumption chart and think this is a very significant difference have never paid an electricity bill in their life.

7. It’s the only portable game console

The Wii U remains the only game system you can readily shlep around like a handheld, and one with friendlier ergonomics for longterm sessions than either Sony’s PS Vita or Nintendo’s own 3DS. The PS4’s slender enough, but you’d need to lug a screen with you, and it’s the screen that’s probably the biggest hurdle here. By folding the screen into the gamepad, Nintendo has essentially designed the first portable gaming platform that doesn’t in some fundamental way (think the tiny thumbsticks on the Vita) compromise the interface to said platform.

This is one of the stupidest articles I've seen in a while.

Thank God we have real grown ups to inspire serious discourse on the subject. I can't imagine a more nuanced adult criticism than "Nintendo is for babiez, LOL!" Incidentally, I plan to thoroughly enjoy Captain Toad and Kirby and the Rainbow curse between diaper changes.

yeah but i nreality ps4 has way more mature titles and teen titles than wii u

If you already have 1 modern console (and I count a good PC as a modern console), then I'd say the Wii U is by far the best choice for a second console at the moment due to its high number of quality exclusives. Although I'd also say that if you don't have a 3DS & Vita, I'd make those higher priorities since they have even more quality exclusive than the Wii U.

Right now, the PS4 & XBO are decent main consoles, but I don't think either works very well as a secondary one due to the relative lack of exclusives. I own both and I don't think I've even turned on the XBO in about 6 months.

Ledhead

Yeah, a lot of things on that list are bs. If you're happy with you're Wii U, more power to you. The console you prefer is entirely subjective

Yagharek

that's just your opinion. regardless nintendo lacks the games to cator to a more mature audience. compared to ps4 and xbox

Most of Nintendo games are perfectly enjoyable for a very wide range of people. Just because you get easily distracted by primary colours does not mean the games are for
kids.

we can't let those babies enjoy their stupid baby games on their stupid baby console!

More like:

"You should buy a WiiU has the best library... I said the same thing last year? Let me tell you again why it has the best library and the other consoles have broken games. You have the other consoles? Let me tell you again why it has the best library and the other consoles have broken games. "

Top Bottom