• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time Magazine names PSVR as one of the best inventions of 2016

chris121580

Between Batman, Rez, and Super Hypercube it has given me some of my favorite gaming experiences ever. Well deserved. Can't wait to see what games are to come

It's not an invention though, it's technology pioneered by others and sold before at a higher price made more affordable through the usual cutting of costs and lower quality. Even the controllers are just re purposed ones from years ago. It's admirable that they're wanting to make VR slightly more affordable but this definitely doesn't deserve to be on the list. Maybe one of best innovations, or simply just best tech, but definitely not best inventions; that implies something entirely new of which very few parts of the PSVR actually are.

Marks & co have technically been working on the tech since VR's resurgence just like Oculus was when they were founded. They've also by most accounts made the overall best headset, even if Vive's awesome roomscale is definitely the most innovative addition on top of basic VR.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/sony-richard-marks-playstationvr-immersed,30269.html

Can you go with basic PSVR headset without the eye camera and move?

Plenty of games will let you use a dualshock instead of the Moves, but you will need the camera.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I don't see how a fad can be named best invention?

VR will never be anything but niche.

Plenty of games will let you use a dualshock instead of the Moves, but you will need the camera.

Honestly, the Dualshock support is one of my favourite things about it.

I love how it will transform into different things in VR. I remember hitting EB to demo battlezone and when the associate handed me the controller in VR space, I was legit shocked.

....and those freakin balls in VR world. Spent waaaay to much time batting that danger ball around with the DS4 lol.

Honestly, the Dualshock support is one of my favourite things about it.

I love how it will transform into different things in VR. I remember hitting EB to demo battlezone and when the associate handed me the controller in VR space, I was legit shocked.

....and those freakin balls in VR world. Spent waaaay to much time batting that danger ball around with the DS4 lol.

Yeah lol, it's great when they show it in game like that.

spliced

Almost as impressive as when Apple invented the phone.

Top 25 best products would be more like it.

Also someone needs to invent a better website for Time.

Trogdor1123

Let's say after all is said and done we're left with a few scenarios

PS4 (slim) ($300 || Pro $400) + PSVR solution ($500 || $700 w/proper tracking).

Total Cost

PSVR Light: $800

PSVR full experience: $1100

PC (Entry PS4 comparative $500 || Pro+ comparitive $600 simply because you'd want at least a $200 GPU) + Oculus (Vive $800).

PC near or above the light experience: $1300

PC at or above full experience PSVR: $1400

It's certainly great that there's more options, I'm all for options. However, when you haven't set a solid standard for an experience that doesn't require users to have radial ratchet turning and movement, motion sickness from weak tracking and generally lacking features we should expect for gaming in VR. Well... it may be a better thing to have a stricter standard. As I've put it can also have longer term detriments because they could fragment the market should they try to catch up in terms of experience.

At the Pro and Vive price range with people shelling out that much money, it would just be hard to recommend the full PSVR experience vs the one provided by even an entry level PC with Vive.

There's obviously other Pro's and cons, but you get my point.

Im a bit lost where you getting your numbers from. It would be 1200 in Canada for a Pro and a PSVR bundle that includes everything and thats well above what Americans would pay. Id like to know your PC specs as well. It would be interesting to see what you actually think is costs the same.

Tagyhag

"Cheaper" is not an invention. Sony creating some new technology to allow Vive or OR-quality VR at a much cheaper price would definitely be an invention, but neither the tracking nor the headset in the PSVR is new and there already is cheap VR out there. The PSVR is well designed, yes, but not new.

Time's always been stupid about using the word "invention" but I understand how they're justifying choosing the PSVR.

Let's say after all is said and done we're left with a few scenarios

PS4 (slim) ($300 || Pro $400) + PSVR solution ($500 || $700 w/proper tracking).

Total Cost

PSVR Light: $800

PSVR full experience: $1100

PC (Entry PS4 comparative $500 || Pro+ comparitive $600 simply because you'd want at least a $200 GPU) + Oculus (Vive $800).

PC near or above the light experience: $1300

PC at or above full experience PSVR: $1400

It's certainly great that there's more options, I'm all for options. However, when you haven't set a solid standard for an experience that doesn't require users to have radial ratchet turning and movement, motion sickness from weak tracking and generally lacking features we should expect for gaming in VR. Well... it may be a better thing to have a stricter standard. As I've put it can also have longer term detriments because they could fragment the market should they try to catch up in terms of experience.

At the Pro and Vive price range with people shelling out that much money, it would just be hard to recommend the full PSVR experience vs the one provided by even an entry level PC with Vive.

There's obviously other Pro's and cons, but you get my point.

Sorry I'm stupid, what's the additional $200 for extra tracking?

And don't get me wrong, if someone was serious about VR I'd recommend the Vive 10 out of 10 times, it's objectively the better headset with the better open ended software support.

But PSVR is fantastic in getting non-tech savvy people into the world of VR.

Renekton

And don't get me wrong, if someone was serious about VR I'd recommend the Vive 10 out of 10 times, it's objectively the better headset with the better open ended software support.

But PSVR is fantastic in getting non-tech savvy people into the world of VR.
Any benefit to Vive if I don't care about room scale or tracking and just want to chill on the couch?

Tagyhag

Any benefit to Vive if I don't care about room scale or tracking and just want to chill on the couch?

There will always be more software for it, despite what some people may say. Also, the open-ended nature of it means you get prototypes like GORN that you'd never see on a closed system.

But if you don't care about room scale or tracking and just want to chill on the couch I'd recommend Gear VR before any of the 3 other headsets.

VIVE, OCULUS, and GearVR had the space all to themselves for more than six months and TIME found nothing compelling about them over the PSVR. I came to the same conclusion.

n0razi

VIVE, OCULUS, and GearVR had the space all to themselves for more than six months and TIME found nothing compelling about them over the PSVR. I came to the same conclusion.

Its software and polish... I can hand the PSVR and move controllers to my 50 year old mom and she can play London Heist or Job Simulator with no effort. While I love my VIVE, it requires a ton more know how just to get it started

There will always be more software for it, despite what some people may say. Also, the open-ended nature of it means you get prototypes like GORN that you'd never see on a closed system.

But if you don't care about room scale or tracking and just want to chill on the couch I'd recommend Gear VR before any of the 3 other headsets.

GearVR lacks positional tracking and while it may seem thats not important for couch VR use, you can definitely feel that it is "off"

The PSVR has the best actual headset IMHO over even the Oculus CV1 and VIVE... its super comfortable and has less SDE and visual artifacts (Rift has godrays and VIVE has fresnel distortion) and the lower resolution is not noticeable over the superior SDE. The camera and move controllers are trash though... as is the clunky breakout box. Those need to be addressed for PSVR 2.0

Tagyhag

That's ridiculous. They even said it's not the cutting edge headset.

I know there will always be people who try to downgrade roomscale as much as possible until the PSVR gets it, but it will always remain a fact that it gives you a presence that sitting or even standing VR will never allow.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

The amount of titles on vive easily dwarf the PSVR library by probably 8 or 9 times. There are also much more experiences and other non-game applications on the Vive

I know there will always be people who try to downgrade roomscale as much as possible until the PSVR gets it, but it will always remain a fact that it gives you a presence that sitting or even standing VR will never allow.
Get out of your feelings, I said nothing compelling and there is nothing compelling.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Check out the threads he made and you will know why

The PSVR headset design alone should already win the award. What a phenomenol job Sony has done. It should set the standard for all the headset from now on.

The PSVR headset design alone should already win the award. What a phenomenol job Sony has done. It should set the standard for all the headset from now on.
?

Vive is getting an extension that makes the entire headset wireless. Now THAT is revolutionary. That should be the standard.

Time magazine has been doing this list for a while now.

1101051121_400.jpg

Dogs were invented in 2005?

Renekton

The amount of titles on vive easily dwarf the PSVR library by probably 8 or 9 times. There are also much more experiences and other non-game applications on the Vive
Yeah tho the options are based on having roomscale. This is why I'm only deciding between Rift and PSVR. Vive is also super uncomfortable to wear.

Occam

Yeah tho the options are based on having roomscale. This is why I'm only deciding between Rift and PSVR. Vive is also super uncomfortable to wear.

Take into consideration that a PC solution for PSVR is quickly approaching. On the other hand, by buying Oculus you are supporting DRM and Palmer Luckey, who along with Facebook's fake news helped to make America "great" again.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
The tracking is a deal breaker for me. Too bad because the rest of it in terms of the screen, the comfort level, the design, etc is amazing.

Renekton

Take into consideration that a PC solution for PSVR is quickly approaching. On the other hand, by buying Oculus you are supporting DRM and Palmer Luckey, who along with Facebook's fake news helped to make America "great" again.
Come to think of it, I wonder if a large chunk of the PCMR community could be in that camp, if so this may have won him more sales.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Day 1: This is amazing!

Day 7: Half these games track so poorly, the other half make me physically ill. The few that give no issues were finished in one sitting with no replay value.

Day 30: PSVR sits unplugged collecting dust because I am fearful of my physical wellness using it and I want my HDCP 2.2 back!

Day 45: Should I just sell this thing? May as well hold off for RE7 and see how that handles at least...

Fisty

Day 1: This is amazing!

Day 7: Half these games track so poorly, the other half make me physically ill. The few that give no issues were finished in one sitting with no replay value.

Day 30: PSVR sits unplugged collecting dust because I am fearful of my physical wellness using it and I want my HDCP 2.2 back!

Day 45: Should I just sell this thing? May as well hold off for RE7 and see how that handles at least...

Damn you must have a really nice game store to sell you a PSVR 10+ days early

Zalusithix

Best product (within its category) you could have an argument, but invention? Nah. It's really not that innovative aside from the mounting mechanism, and even that's more or less iterating on previous Sony HMDs.

jaypah

Haven't tried PSVR but Vive consistently blows me away even months later. Walking around a toy model sized version of New Orleans just feels like I took wizard drugs. VR is amazing.

Top Bottom