• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time to pour one out for legend, the Z-80 will be discontinued

Hudo

By the way, I consider the book "Programming the Z80" by Rodnay Zaks as one of the best introductory books to assembly programming ever written. I wasn't even a concept when that book came out (my parents weren't even adults at that point, lmao) but I still learned a lot from it.

Puscifer

By the way, I consider the book "Programming the Z80" by Rodnay Zaks as one of the best introductory books to assembly programming ever written. I wasn't even a concept when that book came out (my parents weren't even adults at that point, lmao) but I still learned a lot from it.
You should read C by Dennis Ritchie, I don't even program but damn it's beautifully written.

nush

That chip powered many of our first gaming devices.

2f0.gif

Bry0

Are there any “modern” cheap pc type devices with 8088 or z80s or anything like that?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Are there any “modern” cheap pc type devices with 8088 or z80s or anything like that?
That's probably pretty hard to answer concretely, but I'd venture to guess no, not really. I'm honestly quite surprised the Z80 was still being produced up to this point.

Guess we'll always have FPGAs, though.

StereoVsn

Yep, there are Z80 replicas, newish 8088 small notebooks and more. There is also pretty cool new Commodore 64 replacement system with enhanced graphics and audio called Commander X16 .

AndrewRyan

Yes! Now is an incredible time since there's sooooo many options and interesting choices. The two I'm most familiar with are the STM32 and ESP32. You can get breakout boards for less than $2 and many scalable options within the family.

If I was just starting out and wanting to learn just for fun I'd go for the RISC V platform. It's open source and there's now some inexpensive boards available.

Hudo

You should read C by Dennis Ritchie, I don't even program but damn it's beautifully written.
I think everyone read The C Programming Language. And yeah, I agree. That book is also really good as well.
I also think another great book to read to get into functional programming (via LISP) is Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs by Sussman and Abelson. But I learned FP via Haskell... which is a bit of a different animal; leans more heavily into category theory.

Last edited:
Top Bottom