• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Times when your gaming predictions were completely wrong.

Jubenhimer

I admittedly was one of the few people who insisted the then code-named NX would not be a hybrid, and that it would be a console and handheld running the same OS. TBH, I'm actually glad I ate a crow on that one, because the Switch turned out to be a far better and more appealing concept than whatever crazy shit I came up with. I'd still like to see multiple Switch models in the future though.

buenoblue

I was telling all my workmates that xbox one would never play xbox 360 games because it was technically impossible. I was so adamant too. Lol.

Smasher89

Was kinda sceptical about the 3DS around release,but got convinced that if I got it, I could potencially do like some people did with the Wii, buy it and sell for more, so yea that I was very wrong about!

That said, still sticking by that Switch will get a decent chunk cheaper this year, especially when global price competition becomes real!

Elephant

Neo Member
All the time. But I use the tried and tested method, that's very popular on the internet, of lying about stuff and proclaiming "I knew it" to almost every bit of news. Foolproof.

HoodWinked

the switch forecast.

i thought nintendo was going to be in a very difficult position with the release of the switch, it had a very small launch library the price seemed high, almost no third party support and with scopio and neo both leap frogging the switch hardware it felt like another wii-u in the making and that it would put nintendo in a precarious position. also with the recent 33c3 3DS talk it seemed like the nintendo switch may get cracked immediately and would suffer from piracy.

despite all of this somehow switch seems to be doing well.

spekkeh

Banned
I thought Wii U would at least sell 30-40M based on brand name alone. Turns out six years later still no-one heard of its existence.
I thought Xbone would plateau at 20M. Then at 30M. Microsoft's ability to keep rescusitating it continues to surprise me. I was right about Wii, PS4 and Switch being winners at least.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I seem to see this thread every 6 months or so, lol.

Wii U and Vita. Enough said.

Wish I could find the post about someone saying MLB The Show and GTA V for PS4, XBO, PC wouldnt sell well...lol.

AndyVirus

Kiefer Sutherland is playing Big Boss because Hayter will appear as Solid Snake at the end of the game.

Probably more hope than prediction but still :(

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
That Bloodborne would be a straight Gothic horror game, I was way off! When the cosmic narrative hit, I was blown away.

Man, I can't think of a better game I have played ed on the last 10 years of so. However, I did enjoy Dark Souls 2 story line a lot. I know a lot of folks didn't enjoy the game, but for some reason it just resonated with me.

"Xbox One will still get all of the third-party games, third-party devs have no reason to be PS4-exclusive."

And then this one-two combo only fits the thread tangentially, with mobile games being a subset of mobile apps:
> "What is this Android thing and why are they trying to enter the market? They'll never catch iOS."
> "Windows Phone will take off like Android did!"

:(

wow...please tell me something about the future so that i can bet on the opposite :)

m00h

Banned
I was sure ME:A would sell trillions.
I was very sure that we will see HL3 in the near future.
tbh I still believe we will :)
I was sure Vita will be a gigantic success.
I was pretty convinced that Nintendo won't give up the 3D screen on their next device

redcrayon

I thought WiIU would be a big hit in Japan with a Mario, Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest title early on, off-TV play and a touch screen.

I thought Vita would do far better than it did (although still worse than the PSP).

mclem

"I've seen so many failed consoles, some from big names. The Neo-Geo's nice, but ridiculously expensive. The Atari Jaguar's got one brilliant game, the rest... meh. PC Engine's not making any impact on a worldwide scale. That 3DO... I'm not convinced. CD-i? CD32?.

I really don't see what Sony can bring to the table. Nintendo and Sega aren't going anywhere."

ffvorax

I was waiting for PkZ, the first time in my life I was ready to buy another version of the same Pokémon game, I mean they always do a third version, why not for my favourite entry in the series? I'm still waiting for it... :\

MrBadger

I thought the Wii U would pick up steam after it got all the crucial Nintendo games on it, and the system would see modest success, even if it never caught up to its competitors.

I didn't think Bayonetta had any shot at getting in Smash due to how adult the character is.

I thought Splatoon would fail.
I thought Nintendo would have done something pokemon related with 3DS AR cards.
Or a Pokemon Snap on Wii U.

I believed after the wiiu there would be no more room for a nintendo home console in today's market. The switch kinda proved me really wrong and right at the same time.

/edit: oh yeah and i also believed that fallout 4 wouldn't dumb down the Bethesda RPG even further. Yup. Wrong on that one.

marmoka

Banned
I thought the Wii U would success too, and it would be more powerful than it was.

I thought One and PS4 would fail because of tablets and mobile phones getting more and more popular.

I thought Switch would fail after the January presentation.

I thought Sonic 4 would be awesome.

Kneefoil

I thought Wii was going to be only moderately more successful than Nintendo GameCube. I made the same prediction about the Switch, so expect it to be mega success.

I was pretty convinced there would be a Pokémon Z but they just sorta... Skipped over the third game for sixth gen.
The internet convinced me of Z, too. Doesn't seem to be happening.

Same for Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. Wasn't there supposed to be a "Delta Emerald"? Or was that just 100% rumor?
I think there was a trademark filed for Delta Emerald, but once ORAS came out, and people figured out there was a Delta Episode, those speculations died pretty much instantly.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I admittedly was one of the few people who insisted the then code-named NX would not be a hybrid, and that it would be a console and handheld running the same OS. TBH, I'm actually glad I ate a crow on that one, because the Switch turned out to be a far better and more appealing concept than whatever crazy shit I came up with. I'd still like to see multiple Switch models in the future though.
I wavered so many times on hybrid or not I forgot what my final stance was, lol.

Freeman76

I thought Andromeda would be the best ME yet.

I expected RIME to suck

I thought PREY would be boring

I thought Horizon would break new ground in the genre

Wrong many times lol

entremet

I predicted the Wii success, Wii U failure and current Switch success accurately.

I thought console gaming would become less relevant. I was definitely wrong there.

Mupod

I thought Nioh would be hated by critics, but in my defense I didn't realize they'd make the final game far far easier than the alpha/beta.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
The PS4 will have even less quality Japanese games than the PS3 and JP development will be almost completely mobile.

We've had large electronics companies like Philips, Panasonic, NEC, and Pioneer make consoles that failed hard, why should Sony be any different?

PSP is gonna wipe the floor with the DS and its touch gimmick / low specs / terrible launch lineup.

WiiU has a confusing gimmick and a bad launch library, but there's no way it'll bomb.

FF7 will never get anything more than slightly upgraded ports, never a full remaster.

There'll never be a Star Ocean 5 or Shenmue 3.

Splatoon will bomb.

We will never see any of the Kiseki games in America due to the text size and platforms for the first 3 (PC, PSP). Later revised to, no Kiseki games past the first TITS.

spekkeh

Banned
Yeah I remember laughing at Sony's complicatedstation. Four shoulder buttons, geometric shapes. This nerdy thing by an electronics company will never take off.

But I was young

Is how I rationalize it.

Compsiox

Banned
I thought that Halo 4's campaign would be amazing fun but I didn't finish it until 2 weeks after launch.

I was more disappointed than I've ever been. But hey the multiplayer was fun.

I thought Arkham Asylum was going to be a shitty game based on a lifetime of generally bad Batman / tie in games. I hadn't followed the development whatsoever, so I was super surprised when it found up being one of the best games of the generation! Glad I decided to play it.

Top Bottom