• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titan X Launch / Review / Tears Thread

golem

Is there a way to turn it off? I'm definitely running into the pesky throttling at the moment.

Also I upgraded to a 4790K and a new motherboard. Thought it might be a good time to upgrade :p

Most overclock utilities support changing the temperature target, but if youre already hitting well above 80 in standard conditions, you should probably try a custom fan curve or better airflow in your pc first.

Tagyhag

So I just have to wait for a card that has triple the power of a Titan X to play some Crysis 3 4k/144?

Can't wait!

Will be waiting a while)

x3sphere

Beautiful card. I wonder if Crysis still drops below 60 when you get into CPU heavy situations? It's up there with GTA4 in terms of CPU optimization.

It does, even at 1080P it can dip slightly when you get into some heavy firefights, but usually 60 locked 99% of the time. At 3440x1440 with 4xMSAA I'm still somewhat GPU bound though.

You now have a complete, high end system. Leave 6GB to the 980Ti plebs!!

no but seriously, congrats :p

Haha, thanks :D Figured I might as well go all out with my build.

Sid

I said I wasn't going to get one of these but I caved lol. EVGA SC arrived today :) Pairing it with a i7 5930k, Asus X99 Deluxe, and 32GB RAM.

Just started replaying the original Crysis at 3440x1440 on my LG ultrawide and it's definitely a big improvement from my 980. Still such a beautiful game.

Card is pretty quiet at stock, don't notice much of a difference in noise levels from my reference 980.

gsub.png
Looks so awesome,I want this card in the PS5

Manac0r

Just removed the stock cooler and replaced it with an Arctic IV Extreme. Best decision - Temps never exceed 60 degrees even with a heavy OC 1.255mV and 1450Mhz on Core clock - Those on water are getting stable 1500's but on stock cooler I was hitting the 80's temp wise. The IV Extreme is an interesting choice for those not going H2O.

Just starting to OC my card and so far I'm almost up to 1450 boost clock. Got a nice fan curve going now, so temps are staying around 70* or lower. Very happy with my purchase so far, but now I'm considering a second. ;p

Edit: Doesn't have as much horsepower as the 980sli I was using (duh), but it's a muuuuuuch smoother experience.

I said I wasn't going to get one of these but I caved lol. EVGA SC arrived today :) Pairing it with a i7 5930k, Asus X99 Deluxe, and 32GB RAM.

Just started replaying the original Crysis at 3440x1440 on my LG ultrawide and it's definitely a big improvement from my 980. Still such a beautiful game.

Card is pretty quiet at stock, don't notice much of a difference in noise levels from my reference 980.

gsub.png

980 is still good

Man, having all this vram is so nice! Just tested unity, gta v, and mordor, and they ranged from 5.5-7.5gb utilized. That's at 4k, mostly max settings (fxaa only). So good. So good.

Edit: What's the likelihood of my 4.5ghz i5-3570k bottlenecking my titan x? Sli?

Anyone here with an sli setup care to comment on your frame times compared to single card? Seriously considering getting a second (just started using DSR on a 4k monitor - sweet Jesus), but sli frame hiccups drive me absolutely batshit.

mhayze

Sounds like it will be the 980ti that launches from day 1 with custom coolers. My understanding is none of the original batch of Titan X's will be custom coolers.

AXE

Sounds like it will be the 980ti that launches from day 1 with custom coolers. My understanding is none of the original batch of Titan X's will be custom coolers.

Righty. Might as well pick up one if there won't be an enhanced version coming soon.

Anyone here with an sli setup care to comment on your frame times compared to single card? Seriously considering getting a second (just started using DSR on a 4k monitor - sweet Jesus), but sli frame hiccups drive me absolutely batshit.

Depends on the game. Some games benefit GREATLY from the second card while some are pretty frustrating since they would float around 50-60%.

Havent really run into annoying SLI stuttering problems (I'm on a G-sync monitor though).

Depends on the game. Some games benefit GREATLY from the second card while some are pretty frustrating since they would float around 50-60%.

Havent really run into annoying SLI stuttering problems (I'm on a G-sync monitor though).

It's just that, as much as I love the extra horsepower, most games were giving me intermittent hitches or stutters (frame times erratic even with steady fps) in sli that I wouldn't get with a single card. Gsync did nothing for these things, sadly. Just wondering if the Titan X's have somehow improved on this.

It's just that, as much as I love the extra horsepower, most games were giving me intermittent hitches or stutters (frame times erratic even with steady fps) in sli that I wouldn't get with a single card. Gsync did nothing for these things, sadly. Just wondering if the Titan X's have somehow improved on this.

No. Until afr is dead on gone, mgpu will never be smooth when framerates arent super high

Does anyone know of a retail store where I can pick this card up? I don't want to wait on shipping. Thanks!

EVGA GeForce GTX TITAN X Superclocked
Part Number: 12G-P4-2992-KR

CSX

My EVGA Superclocked is coming tomorrow. Am i guessing that it's already been OC to the amount a lot of people managed to obtain on standard Titan Xs on stock cooling?

I would have gotten a regular one and OCed it myself but it's all sold out T_T

golem

My EVGA Superclocked is coming tomorrow. Am i guessing that it's already been OC to the amount a lot of people managed to obtain on standard Titan Xs on stock cooling?

I would have gotten a regular one and OCed it myself but it's all sold out T_T

I believe the EVGA SC is a +127mhz overclock. Most people can hit +200 on a stock bios, but because the voltage is locked you will need to flash your bios for a better overclock.

People are getting some pretty good oc's once they do that however

http://www.overclock.net/t/1546747/official-nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-x-owners-club/0_50

I checked all of my local shops today and no dice. None of them had any Titan X in stock. Huge bummer. So is there any place better than newegg for online retailers?

No shit, I live in the same area. Was looking around myself but no luck.

Amazon has it for 1029 whenever they themselves have it in stock. For the past couple of days they would sell out 10-15 cards within 24 hours. And they usually restock every 3-4 days.

Arrith

Neo Member
welp, took the plunge because I was sick of waiting for the new cards to come out and ordered two of these, should be here by Tuesday or Wednesday. Can't wait to max out 4k.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
By default, yes.

You now have a complete, high end system. Leave 6GB to the 980Ti plebs!!

no but seriously, congrats :p

Hey Smokey I did an custom fan curve of 60 percent when it hits 60 degrees and it never goes over 65. Is this safe and does it affect my boost or should I just turn it off and let it hit 83? Thx man

Smokey

Hey Smokey I did an custom fan curve of 60 percent when it hits 60 degrees and it never goes over 65. Is this safe and does it affect my boost or should I just turn it off and let it hit 83? Thx man

you want the temp as low as possible. the 83c is what nvidia by default designates as the throttle point where your card will down clock to stay under that 83c barrier.

your fan curve is pretty great if you're getting temps like that

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
you want the temp as low as possible. the 83c is what nvidia by default designates as the throttle point where your card will down clock to stay under that 83c barrier.

your fan curve is pretty great if you're getting temps like that

All I did was click custom in msi Afterburner and told it to steadily increase and hit 60 percent at 60 degrees then further increase to 80. I feel like I've been lucky. I guess you never want the Dan to hit 100 percent? I'm a bit noobish at this. Had some peeps on other forums saying I'm really lucky to get a titan than stays under 70 degrees. Makes me think msi Afterburner is reading temp wrong or something :/

Smokey

All I did was click custom in msi Afterburner and told it to steadily increase and hit 60 percent at 60 degrees then further increase to 80. I feel like I've been lucky. I guess you never want the Dan to hit 100 percent? I'm a bit noobish at this. Had some peeps on other forums saying I'm really lucky to get a titan than stays under 70 degrees. Makes me think msi Afterburner is reading temp wrong or something :/

In general you may have good airflow in your case, while someone else may have sub optimal airflow. It just depends.

I personally run my two Titan X fan profiles at 80% at their highest point. There really is no wrong way to do it. Some people don't mind adjusting the 83c limit for higher performance. Some people want a whisper quiet build. All down to preference.

You have nothing to worry about :p

Just finished flashing to a bios w/ a higher power level, pulled off the cooler and slapped a corsair h75 and some copper ramsinks on vram and vrm. Room temp is about 21* C and my card temp is 24* C idle and 40* C under load at a rock solid 1450 boost (edit: up to 1520 now). Haven't tried pushing it further than that yet, but I'm feeling pretty optimistic. Lol

Is anyone having issues running Far Cry 4 without freezing/crashing on their Titan X? I've tried almost everything, from a fresh Windows install to disabling all NVidia Gameworks graphics options, and deleting the gamerprofile.xml file. No matter what, I get freezes, and I'm not sure if it's the card's/drivers fault at this point.

Other people with similar rigs to mine have reported no issues, but they used a 980.

I'm sad I can't play it, and Steam refused my refund because in my hours struggling to get it to run, they think I've "played" the game past the point of return.

Top Bottom