• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL | 2 Multiplayer Previews

I wonder if this game can recover after shooting itself in the foot with that earlier test. Seems a lot of people have written it off for good after that

SwolBro

Banned
I wonder if this game can recover after shooting itself in the foot with that earlier test. Seems a lot of people have written it off for good after that

I think if the reviews are positive, and the fan reaction is positive (which i think it will be) they'll come back.

the game so far looks absolutely incredible. people went overboard with the tech test, there were tweaks that needed to be made, that's all and they've made them. they've actually fixed so much shit that i absolutely hated in Titanfall 1. I'm excited.

And for anyone thinking this game won't be as fast as Titanfall 1? pfft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Olu7ra1Ada0&index=8&list=PLD1fk2ODxOaYNyuBsA-V26KB9i7dhCpB_

KodaRuss

I watched all of Frothy's videos, which are all pretty short (3 mins or less) and he gives a really good overview of what to expect. Looks like more videos are coming as well. Cant wait to bunny hop and wall run across these maps at breakneck speed. Looks like so much fun

I don't think they changed that for the second weekend, but the meter does automatically increase now.

I just checked a video- it takes about 5 seconds to increase 1%, that means it'll take 500 seconds or 8 mins 20s if a guy just sits there.

How does that compare to the original?

SwolBro

Banned
I just checked a video- it takes about 5 seconds to increase 1%, that means it'll take 500 seconds or 8 mins 20s if a guy just sits there.

How does that compare to the original?

the original had a timer of 4min initial build time, and then a 2.5min rebuild time. Each a.i kill would then take off 1 second, and a pilot kill would take off 2.5 seconds, i think.

it was really too fast to be honest. the rebuild time was ridiculous at 2.5min. in competitive settings those times were changed to 5min initial build time with a 3.5min rebuild time.

Jawmuncher

After the beta and these previews I'm still not sold. Will rent to get my own impression on changes.

the original had a timer of 4min initial build time, and then a 2.5min rebuild time. Each a.i kill would then take off 1 second, and a pilot kill would take off 2.5 seconds, i think.

it was really too fast to be honest. the rebuild time was ridiculous at 2.5min. in competitive settings those times were changed to 5min initial build time with a 3.5min rebuild time.

This came up during the beta and I still disagree. The game is called titanfall. The robots are in a sense the big selling point. If everyone is getting them quickly it's just sitting with the nature of the title.

Menitta

So Frothy is the guy they hired to do the gameplay for the trailers, right?

I joke, but it wouldn't surprise me.

This came up during the beta and I still disagree. The game is called titanfall. The robots are in a sense the big selling point. If everyone is getting them quickly it's just sitting with the nature of the title.

Hmmmm, I didn't play the original TF but personally I feel more inclined towards Jawmuncher's opinion because the main thing that interests me about Titanfall even though I don't like Twitch shooters are the Titans.

At the very least give a 'Titan only' mode where you're just respawning with Titans to essentially making it a mech game. Yeah I know about Last Titan Standing but it's not exactly what I had in mind since if you die in that one you have to sit out the rest of the match till it's over, and from what I've heard Titans aren't as durable as the original game.

SwolBro

Banned
Hmmmm, I didn't play the original TF but personally I feel more inclined towards Jawmuncher's opinion because the main thing that interests me about Titanfall even though I don't like Twitch shooters are the Titans.

At the very least give a 'Titan only' mode where you're just respawning with Titans to essentially making it a mech game. Yeah I know about Last Titan Standing but it's not exactly what I had in mind since if you die in that one you have to sit out the rest of the match till it's over, and from what I've heard Titans aren't as durable as the original game.
Um, ok but obtaining a Titan now isn't exactly a hard task. People complaining are either really really really really bad, as in they barely ever play first person shooters to begin with, or they're exaggerating.

The problem with Jawmuncher's opinion is the way the original game ended up playing after the first few months. Good players could absolutely destroy you with their titans, regardless if you got one quick, they'd be in one much faster than you and wreck you that much faster. This caused a lot of lesser skilled players to kind of sit around in a building waiting for their titan timer to hit 0. A lot of this also caused a team afraid of getting swamped by the other teams titans to drop titan burn cards, which pretty much pissed everyone off on the other team, sometimes resulting in a mass exodus of players from the match.

Furthermore, in a 6v6 room with capable players the game turned into an all out banana fest. It was an absurd chaotic mess. Yes, some people loved the craziness but to be honest it was too much. Though, i agree that the tech test was a bit too slow, and a bit empty compared to the original game, i tend to blame that on the game modes shown.

And if you're in this for the titans then play LTS. Pilot combat was just as, if not, better than the Titan combat. Once you get the hang of the pilot play you'll absolutely love it.

And if you're in this for the titans then play LTS. Pilot combat was just as, if not, better than the Titan combat. Once you get the hang of the pilot play you'll absolutely love it.

It does seem like the Titan combat is the after thought when compared with the pilot.

The problem with the pilot combat is that it's still a twitch shooter and I hate that style of quick death play. Hence why I'm more interested in the Titan fights because firefights last longer.Having to sit out the rest of the match if you die early in LTS is the main downside.

SwolBro

Banned
It does seem like the Titan combat is the after thought when compared with the pilot.

The problem with the pilot combat is that it's still a twitch shooter and I hate that style of quick death play. Hence why I'm more interested in the Titan fights because firefights last longer.Having to sit out the rest of the match if you die early in LTS is the main downside.

No, that's not true. The Titan combat in the original was very deep but like you said it's less twitchy and lasts longer.

KodaRuss

So Frothy is the guy they hired to do the gameplay for the trailers, right?

I joke, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Yes definitely. All of the videos he released today have a "Sponsored by EA" in the corner.

Pretty upfront about it but he has good info on the MP.

Yep, not to mention you could lose your Titan just as quick as you earned it. I'm still bummed that they streamlined Titans so much. In the tech test there were way less tactics and depth to the Titans than in the original. Idk how LTS is even going to work in TF2. Some of the Titans excel at things that are irrelevant to the mode, which makes them a waste there. You're only going to see a small handful of Titan types in that mode, as opposed to TF1 where there was no telling what you'd see. Stryder with a railgun? Yep. Not the case in this one.

I still don't understand why they're releasing this a week after BF1. Should release this around December or possibly next year. I just don't see this game doing as well as the first game even with more platforms.

It is significantly fast than that, in TF1 the build time decrease is based on damage done, just by shooting enemies you get titan build time, I believe it is 15 seconds for a minion kill and 40 for a pilot kill.

In TF2 you also get build charge for all those things, additionally you can also gain build charge by pulling out enemy titan batteries, and giving a battery to a friendly Titan, so in terms of titan build time TF1 and 2 is now very similar.

SwolBro

Banned
Yep, not to mention you could lose your Titan just as quick as you earned it. I'm still bummed that they streamlined Titans so much. In the tech test there were way less tactics and depth to the Titans than in the original. Idk how LTS is even going to work in TF2. Some of the Titans excel at things that are irrelevant to the mode, which makes them a waste there. You're only going to see a small handful of Titan types in that mode, as opposed to TF1 where there was no telling what you'd see. Stryder with a railgun? Yep. Not the case in this one.

haha. aye yai yai

dude, stryder with a railgun is exactly why they introduced one of the titans as a light titan build that can hover. Stryder+railgun is about as pro titan play as you can get. LTS tourny matches saw the top teams always have one of it's players run this build.

Respawn Isn't STUPID. The way they streamlined these titans is in accordance with the data they had from from public matches, and what they observed in high level private matches.

haha. aye yai yai

dude, stryder with a railgun is exactly why they introduced one of the titans as a light titan build that can hover. Stryder+railgun is about as pro titan play as you can get. LTS tourny matches saw the top teams always have one of it's players run this build.

Respawn Isn't STUPID. The way they streamlined these titans is in accordance with the data they had from from public matches, and what they observed in high level private matches.

That was just an example. There are plenty of other awesome combos you'd never think would work but thanks to customization and skill, people kicked ass with them. Now all of that is removed.

They streamlined it because people ditched TF1 real quickly and they want to make it more casual friendly. Lets not forget these are the same guys who made MW2, so lets not act as if they are above making mistakes and/or fucking up good MP.

SwolBro

Banned
That was just an example. There are plenty of other awesome combos you'd never think would work but thanks to customization and skill, people kicked ass with them. Now all of that is removed.

They streamlined it because people ditched TF1 real quickly and they want to make it more casual friendly. Lets not forget these are the same guys who made MW2, so lets not act as if they are above making mistakes and/or fucking up good MP.

Yeah, i agree with you with the right skill any build could work but that doesn't mean it would work going up against equally skilled players with the proper meta builds. Know what i'm saying? You're not walking into a room with really good LTS players with a quad rocket ogre and dominating lol

I don't think they streamlined it because people ditched TF1, they streamlined things that needed to be streamlined and obviously they have other reasons for some of the changes to the Titans. Do you remember people bitching and moaning that there were only 3 titan builds? Despite all the customization? remember people clamoring for new Titans dlc? Well, yeah now you got that. It makes more sense to introduce DLS titans when they're essentially "heros".

Can't please everyone

Izuna

Banned
any hopes this game is running at steady 60fps on pro?

Well, they said that without a Pro patch older games won't use the additional power, so you'd have to wait for Respawn to talk about it.

I didn't play the Tech test on the Xbone S, so I wonder how good it performs on one. Presuming a lot of optimisation has happened since then, I think all consoles will run the game just fine...

SwolBro

Banned

some devs have posted about it being optimized for that console but they won't say what yet. some youtube streamers invited to the event were also told of these plans but they can't say what it is.

so they definitely have something planned for it. i just hope they also do something nice for the scorpio even though it's a year away.

Menitta

Yes definitely. All of the videos he released today have a "Sponsored by EA" in the corner.

Pretty upfront about it but he has good info on the MP.

Oh I knew he was sponsored by EA, I was just complimenting on his skill. Those videos are incredibly good.

Izuna

Banned
Okay, Guys! Put your Gamertags or IDs in here if you wanna play with GAF (I'll set up a Club for the Xbox One).

QUOTE TO SEE LINK

Drewfonse

Oh I knew he was sponsored by EA, I was just complimenting on his skill. Those videos are incredibly good.

I love how he casually mentioned that he won the pilot vs pilot games and then called himself terrible.

LOL, no. Sign me right the fuck up for that skill level.

Anyone know what that perk is that slows time while you ADS in the air or wall running? Was that in the first game?

Can't freaking wait for this game.

BF1 just feels so...sluggish. just the aiming and movement. Whenever I watch a T2 video, it just looks so fun and fast paced.

SkylineRKR

The Tech Test was mediocre, still better than IW, but not what I expected. But all these videos look great.

I am going to pick this up next week though I am hooked to BF1 also.

Rayme

Both consoles are steady 60fps even without being Pro hardware. Higher res than the Tech Test build and some more tricks up our sleeves since then.

Then on Pro it's nicer beyond the base PS4 (I guess we'll be more specific later?), but no framerate advantage since it's already up at 60fps.

Looking forward to a Digital Foundry article, if they find the time. They're always merciless but fair. ;)

I've only very barely barely worked on rendering for this project, so I can say: the people here that did and the artists they support have done some amazing stuff. A lot of it's under the hood, some of it more obvious, but light years beyond what we had available two years ago.

Both consoles are steady 60fps even without being Pro hardware. Higher res than the Tech Test build and some more tricks up our sleeves since then.

Then on Pro it's nicer beyond the base PS4 (I guess we'll be more specific later?), but no framerate advantage since it's already up at 60fps.

Looking forward to a Digital Foundry article, if they find the time. They're always merciless but fair. ;)

I've only very barely barely worked on rendering for this project, so I can say: the people here that did and the artists they support have done some amazing stuff. A lot of it's under the hood, some of it more obvious, but light years beyond what we had available two years ago.

stop giving me hyperection

jobboy

well nice!! :) thanks!!
please guys don't fuck up the framerate for the highest resolution, or at least give us an option to choose!

Tokubetsu

Hope to see you in the OT!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
FrothyOmen uploaded two complete FFA matches and they look great. Love watching this guy move

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Fc1XviFEyM

Wonderful to hear. I can't wait for this one.

Strakt

Man i hope this game is good and has a decent amount of people playing it... especially with bf1 just recently coming out

Menitta

I love how he casually mentioned that he won the pilot vs pilot games and then called himself terrible.

LOL, no. Sign me right the fuck up for that skill level.

Anyone know what that perk is that slows time while you ADS in the air or wall running? Was that in the first game?

Can't freaking wait for this game.

BF1 just feels so...sluggish. just the aiming and movement. Whenever I watch a T2 video, it just looks so fun and fast paced.

I like BF1, but as someone who wants a more fast paced game, it's not for me. I think my biggest issue with BF1 is that I'm constantly running around on the map and not seeing a single other player only to be shot in the back. I've been palying too much Overwatch and the CODIW beta. I'll keep playing it but once Titanfall 2 comes out, I'll probably stop.

KodaRuss

So what game modes are going to be most played/least played?

I hope Last Titan Standing is popular. After playing a lot of Siege, I love the 1 death per round style of game.

Was Pilot V Pilot popular in TF1?

GWWQpEF.gif

So good

Shoot, I forgot about PC, added ;)

(PSN is there)
Awesome, thanks!

Is anyone on deck for making the PC club yet?
No. No it was not. At least, it was DoA on PC.

I suspect that Skirmish (PvP but w/ Titans) will be more popular than PvP. I'm also curious to see how popular the 8v8 playlist will be, since that seems like it'll be attractive to the players that were unsatisfied with the 6v6 playercount in Titanfall 1.
What's with the colour?
You mean the green stuff near the ground? Isn't that the flammable gas that Scorch launches?

Chris1

So what game modes are going to be most played/least played?

I hope Last Titan Standing is popular. After playing a lot of Siege, I love the 1 death per round style of game.

Pilot v Pilot was completely dead, but was added after launch so it's not exactly fair.. but yeah.. it was dead.

If I was to guess, Attrition>Amped Hardpoint>Bounty Hunt>FFA>LTS>CTF>Skirmish>PvP

Varity pack will be near the top, no idea about Colseum/T-Day. It being on the second page of modes will automatically hurt its population and it's a new mode so it's hard to guess but I can't see them doing particularly well to be honest. Maybe somewhere between BH and Skirmish.

BH and AHP could be switched around too.

I think if the reviews are positive, and the fan reaction is positive (which i think it will be) they'll come back.

the game so far looks absolutely incredible. people went overboard with the tech test, there were tweaks that needed to be made, that's all and they've made them. they've actually fixed so much shit that i absolutely hated in Titanfall 1. I'm excited.

And for anyone thinking this game won't be as fast as Titanfall 1? pfft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Olu7ra1Ada0&index=8&list=PLD1fk2ODxOaYNyuBsA-V26KB9i7dhCpB_

It does look a lot of fun. Makes CoD looks like a snoozefest. I would think this makes a perfect complement to BF1. Got your reality-based historical and futuristic to mix things up

Top Bottom