• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL | 2 Multiplayer Previews

Drewfonse

Didn't realise reviews were coming tomorrow, I really hope this game delivers.

I just can't imagine a scenario now, although I'm sure it exists, where a dev allows a sub par game to be reviewed early when they could easily hold off and capitalize on consumer ignorance.

Has that happened to any high profile games recently?

Launch day map lineup:

AfZ6uvl.png
Only 9? Well that's not too bad considering we get a real campaign this time around. Also the DLC will be free so no big deal.

Chris1

I just can't imagine a scenario now, although I'm sure it exists, where a dev allows a sub par game to be reviewed early when they could easily hold off and capitalize on consumer ignorance.

Has that happened to any high profile games recently?

Quantum Break?

Although I think they expected much higher.

Drewfonse

I'm already sort of sick of BF1 as I'm dying so much so I cant wait for this. Yes the release window being so close to BF1 is sort of odd but it is as different from BF1 as COD is from BF1 so I don't think the audience will overlap or at-least will know what they are in far. I don't think it will do well on PC at all though especially after being neglected during the BETA.

Same.

The Mastiff shotgun looks fucking awesome. Used the longbow in the first game, but I may need to make the switch.

That shotgun does looks delicious

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Yeah, I was doom and gloom during the alpha, but I'm def back in. Looks like a great package overall.

Think I'll hold off until PS4 Pro Launch day though. BF1 is more than keeping me busy right now.

B00TE

Getting PS4, with a possible double dip on PC later if I just can't get a handle on the control scheme on a controller, gonna give it a real try though.

PS4. A game with this level of movement would be a nightmare for me against M+KB players.

Yeah, I'm sorta in the same boat. I held my own in the first game, but it could be rough, especially later in the games life. Added bonus of there being a lot of new players who may not have ever tried Titanfall on PS4, too. Hoping the playerbase sticks around, I really want this to do well if it's as good as it looks and the team is taking feedback as well as it looks like they have been.

Revas

What platform is everyone going for? I'm going PC!

I really don't know. I put about 500 hours on the Xbox One version of Tf1, but I want to play this one on my PC as I just got a Blade Stealth+Core+1070. The issue is I don't know how much I can compete with a controller, and I'd rather not fool around with a KB+M.

How easy (or difficult) will the Pro Pilot movement be on a controller?

I know not as easy as A PC keyboard and mouse, but is it possible to do some of the things FrothyOmen was showing off?

Kade

PC.

I tried playing the PS4 beta but it took me a while to get accustomed to controlling a game of that speed with a controller. I ended up getting used to it and doing really well for a few matches but I still felt uncomfortable. Realized Destiny is my limit for movement speed on a controller after this beta and the Black Ops 3 one a while back so I'm just going back to PC.

Keasar

The footage of this is so good. I'm preloaded and ready to go.

"Titanfall 2 is too slow"

https://youtu.be/3x_ri07QIR4

The bunny hops are the most fun and original mechanic in a shooter since active reload.

While I appreciate complexity of gameplay systems, why have this? Why have to slide and jump when regular bunny hopping without the slide was enough in R1? Why not just retain the momentum if you jump the moment your feet hit the ground without the need to hold an extra input? I'm gonna play on PC so I might do alright but I can't imagine this won't give a ton of console players cramps.

It's just so unecessary. :p

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
I dont know that they needed to change the game. There was no campaign and the game launched at a time when the Xbox One had a low userbase. Honestly, the worst thing you can do is alienate the fans of a game. Halo is still trying to recover from this.

I don't think they are alienating fans. I mean, they tweaked a lot of stuff due to fan feedback, no? I gather, including a proper SP will work in its favor. That and the game's entry point not as daunting as the first.

I am so close to buying this game, but I can't get over how some of my matches in the Beta felt empty even though the servers were full. There were a lot of dead moments, and I'm not sure if it was because we were all new and not using our mobility to the fullest, or if the maps are just a little too barren of objects to wall-run. When the game is at it's most frantic it is unlike anything else on the market. I'm going to be keeping my eye on what guys like Omen have to say after the game is released. Until then I will just keep BF1, which has been the most impressive shooter I've played in awhile.

Don't think that's going to be a problem based on the other maps.It definitely feels busy enough.

I'll share a lot more details tomorrow. Almost done with SP. :)

Chris1

Lol at you guys thinking frontier defense isn't coming back.
At launch? or as free DLC a few month down the line?

The latter I buy, TF1 post launch support was amazing and I expect the same here, but at launch? I doubt it based on what we've seen so far.

maybe excaliburps can shed some light on this if he can.

Newlove

Don't forget all maps will be free with Angel City in December I believe. 9 isn't the 15 of TF1 but at the same time its not too small of a selection.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
At launch? or as free DLC a few month down the line?

The latter I buy, TF1 post launch support was amazing and I expect the same here, but at launch? I doubt it based on what we've seen so far.

maybe excaliburps can shed some light on this if he can.

We're still under embargo (score, review, etc. Only thing that lifted is MP stuff this past Friday).

Game modes that are in MP:

Attrition
Amped Hardpoint
Last Titan Standing
Free for All
Bounty Hunt
Capture the Flag
Pilot vs Pilot
Coliseum
Variety
8v8 Variety
Private Match Beta

Man, that's a lot of modes already, no? Honestly, for maps and modes, I'm not that worried given Respawn has repeatedly said that all maps and modes will be free post-launch. It wouldn't surprise me if they have events or in-game stuff lined up the coming months after launch.

Ennosuke

I could go with PS4 and PC, but because of my great time with TF1, I think I will pick the xbox one version. I recently do play a lot with my PS4, but I kind of can't aim with the dualshock. I could play the PC version with a xbox controller, but could be difficult to compete. Oh and I fear that the pc community could be dead quickly.

Launch day map lineup:

AfZ6uvl.png

Some of those looks awfully similar to the campaign zones we have seen so far...

We're still under embargo (score, review, etc. Only thing that lifted is MP stuff this past Friday).

Game modes that are in MP:

Attrition
Amped Hardpoint
Last Titan Standing
Free for All
Bounty Hunt
Capture the Flag
Pilot vs Pilot
Coliseum
Variety
8v8 Variety
Private Match Beta

Man, that's a lot of modes already, no? Honestly, for maps and modes, I'm not that worried given Respawn has repeatedly said that all maps and modes will be free post-launch. It wouldn't surprise me if they have events or in-game stuff lined up the coming months after launch.

All these modes and only one of them Titan focused...

Grisby

They say anything about the horde mode coming back? Crazy they wouldn't put it in there at launch.
Xbox. I'm just too used to the controller from TF1.

That, and I've got Overwatch and BF1 as my mp games for ps4. On Xbox I just have Gears.

That kind of nonsense is why I won't buy.

Reminds me of marathon lightweight commando - from the same dev team that ruined call of duty.

While I appreciate complexity of gameplay systems, why have this? Why have to slide and jump when regular bunny hopping without the slide was enough in R1? Why not just retain the momentum if you jump the moment your feet hit the ground without the need to hold an extra input? I'm gonna play on PC so I might do alright but I can't imagine this won't give a ton of console players cramps.

It's just so unecessary. :p

This convinced me to pass on the game.

npa5yMn.gif

Why have any complex or challenging mechanics in a game? Why have wallrunning in titanfall 1? Why have active reloads or wallbouncing in gears? Why have fixed weapon spawns in quake?

It's part of the gameplay design. A challenging and rewarding way to move more quickly around the map.

It's absolutely baffling to me to see people turned off by the movement mechanics. That is key to this game along with the titan gameplay.

And this is nothing like marathon lightweight commando - this requires skill to accomplish, not just perks that enhance your character abilities.

It doesn't really seem difficult to pull off, but more irritating instead. The first thing that springs to mind for me is having to tap to sprint, in games like GTA.

It's nothing like that - it takes timing and accuracy with your movement to preserve momentum. It's easy to lose your momentum and basically be left hanging and slowed down if done wrong.

You can still sprint and not be penalized for it, but there is a higher skill option as well.

Strakt

npa5yMn.gif

Why have any complex or challenging mechanics in a game? Why have wallrunning in titanfall 1? Why have active reloads or wallbouncing in gears? Why have fixed weapon spawns in quake?

It's part of the gameplay design. A challenging and rewarding way to move more quickly around the map.

It's absolutely baffling to me to see people turned off by the movement mechanics. That is key to this game along with the titan gameplay.

And this is nothing like marathon lightweight commando - this requires skill to accomplish, not just perks that enhance your character abilities.

Those are the people that should stick to CoD if they want a basic shooter. Bunny hopping and whatnot takes a while to master, and once you do, it feels so satisfying. Glad they implemented movement that actually requires practice to master.

jurgen

npa5yMn.gif

From how it's described, it feels a little too convoluted to pull off. If you could just maintain your momentum on the ground for a short while before having to jump back into a wall run before losing it, that would be better.

The fact that you're having to actively having to hit the crouch button mid-air and jump button at the right time seems a little much. It makes it feel like a sloppy exploit that Respawn didn't bother fixing and ended up calling it a feature.

This is coming from a guy that logged way too many hours on Tribes.

Those are the people that should stick to CoD if they want a basic shooter. Bunny hopping and whatnot takes a while to master, and once you do, it feels so satisfying. Glad they implemented movement that actually requires practice to master.

I mean - call of duty exists. Do they just want this to be call of duty? Because it's absolutely not. The best players will be wallrunning almost always and probably doing a lot more hipfiring than ADS.

I went back to titanfall 1 after the beta but not having the slide jump was such a bummer. I will probably double dip on this game because playing with a Mouse/KB looks so good, but I like playing on console because of the population. Maybe I should try one of those hori mouse/KB for PS4.

Yeah, I don't get the hate for the slide mechanic being used in conjunction with jumping. It's basically advanced bunnyhopping except much cooler and understandable imo. I think the game is going to do great and a lot of the changes people questioned are already showing the reasons why, even if they don't accept them as being good for the game.

From how it's described, it feels a little too convoluted to pull off. If you could just maintain your momentum on the ground for a short while before having to jump back into a wall run before losing it, that would be better.

The fact that you're having to actively having to hit the crouch button mid-air and jump button at the right time seems a little much. It makes it feel like a sloppy exploit that Respawn didn't bother fixing and ended up calling it a feature.

It's not convoluted - while you're floating you hold crouch to "pre-load" a slide. When the slide starts, you jump again. It's easy to do in a straight line, changing direction makes it harder because you can't change direction once you have held B to start the slide, so you sacrifice some momentum to change direction.

Watch the first video on sliding first, that one i posted was the "pro level"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYu15tvaUeU

Air strafing is much more difficult and will be tough on a controller.

If you maintained momentum every time you jumped the game would be very floaty and you'd be sliding all over the place. Having control over it is better.

If for movement titanfall 1 was Tony Hawk, Titanfall 2 adds the manual to chain combos on the ground. Sure, it's more complex, but it opens up more possibilities for skillful play.

SwolBro

Banned
Tinúviel;221140365 said:
Guys,

First thanks for showing me FrothyOmen's channel.

Second teach me how the fuck am i going to bunny hop like that on console.It's amazing.
Ok lets clear something up real quick. Bunny hopping isn't what he is doing. He is slide hopping. Bunny hopping (quake hopping) is in the original game and could be maintained for long durations. It's been reduced in this game and replaced with slide hopping.

The best way to go in order to move like that on console is to get an elite controller. Makes a huge difference to have jump on a back paddle. For example, i have jump on the left back paddle, and slide on the right back. Makes it so easy
I find it kind of funny that everyone seems to want TF1 still. The community for TF1 fell dramatically around 5-6 months after launch didn't it?

If that is true they had to change some things right?
According to most of the veterans that have been playing (frothyomen) the changes that have been made have benefited the game tremendously. They're all confident this game is going to be loved more than the original.

I'm worried that they've codified this too much, the beauty about tf1 was its simplicity, there were a set amount of guns, titans and abilitys, watching vids on tf2 seems they've went down the rabbit hole of cod were there's too much shit that over complicates the game.
I don't think so. After watching all the vids it seems like they've struck a nice balance this time. A lot of people complained about the lack of variety in the first game. I also hate when a developer adds to much to the sequel. It doesn't seem like Respawn made this mistake though
Wow. The ForthyOmen vids are really making me consider getting the game again... The tech test left me disappointed but the movement alone seems waaaaaaay better than it was when I tried it.
Remember frothy is a veteran, and he's on PC. It takes time to learn to move like that.

This is coming from a guy that logged way too many hours on Tribes.
But it's not. People were saying that about the bunnyhop and stim eject in the first game. It's not a mistake that you can do these things. And speaking about the bunnyhop.. the original game had practically nobody doing the right bunnyhop/wall bounces, especially on console. It was hard to do the proper bunny hop with a controller. Only the better players used the movement to the fullest.

Slide hopping is actually easier to pull off as long as you have the right control scheme/elite controller.

HelloMeow

Yeah, I don't get the hate for the slide mechanic being used in conjunction with jumping. It's basically advanced bunnyhopping except much cooler and understandable imo. I think the game is going to do great and a lot of the changes people questioned are already showing the reasons why, even if they don't accept them as being good for the game.

It looks dumb and seems unnecessary. Those are my issues with it. Like I said before, if there needs to be a hopping mechanic, just have a hopping mechanic. I don't see why sliding needs to be involved.

Sliding lets you build and keep momentum. Crouching mid air lets you slide instantly when touching the ground. It looks more like a bug than a feature. Maybe it shouldn't be possible.

Ok lets clear something up real quick. Bunny hopping isn't what he is doing. He is slide hopping. Bunny hopping (quake hopping) is in the original game and could be maintained for long durations. It's been reduced in this game and replaced with slide hopping.

The best way to go in order to move like that on console is to get an elite controller. Makes a huge difference to have jump on a back paddle. For example, i have jump on the left back paddle, and slide on the right back. Makes it so easy
According to most of the veterans that have been playing (frothyomen) the changes that have been made have benefited the game tremendously. They're all confident this game is going to be loved more than the original.

I don't think so. After watching all the vids it seems like they've struck a nice balance this time. A lot of people complained about the lack of variety in the first game. I also hate when a developer adds to much to the sequel. It doesn't seem like Respawn made this mistake though
Remember frothy is a veteran, and he's on PC. It takes time to learn to move like that.

But it's not. People were saying that about the bunnyhop and stim eject in the first game. It's not a mistake that you can do these things. And speaking about the bunnyhop.. the original game had practically nobody doing the right bunnyhop/wall bounces, especially on console. It was hard to do the proper bunny hop with a controller. Only the better players used the movement to the fullest.

Slide hopping is actually easier to pull off as long as you have the right control scheme/elite controller.

The only trouble I had with slide hopping was changing direction. I felt like It was really easy to do in a straight line but turning i often lost momentum.

It looks dumb and seems unnecessary. Those are my issues with it. Like I said before, if there needs to be a hopping mechanic, just have a hopping mechanic. I don't see why sliding needs to be involved.

Sliding lets you build and keep momentum. Crouching mid air lets you slide instantly when touching the ground. It looks more like a bug than a feature. Maybe it shouldn't be possible.

"looks dumb" is irrelevant to the gamplay and that's just your opinion. The sideways gun and sound effects are enough feedback to tell you you're sliding or preloading a slide.

It's not unnecessary because it adds depth to the game. Wallbouncing in gears looks totally unnatural and out of place but it's a key gameplay mechanic at higher levels.

Just like gears' advanced movement mechanics I detect a lot of salt from people who either don't want to or won't take the time to learn and instead get angry that other people can use these advanced methods against them in the game.

SwolBro

Banned

I don't think it's a bug, but i do agree with you. I would have been happier if they left true bunnyhopping in the game and added the slide as momentum.

The only trouble I had with slide hopping was changing direction. I felt like It was really easy to do in a straight line but turning i often lost momentum.
it's no different with bunnyhopping. if you turn too much now you'll lose momentum or end up screwing up the next hop.

it's a matter of getting used to it and perfecting it.

Just like gears' advanced movement mechanics I detect a lot of salt from people who either don't want to or won't take the time to learn and instead get angry that other people can use these advanced methods against them in the game.

I don't think hellomeow is one of those people though but there are tons of people like that. Especially in the first game, there were people that thought bunnyhopping and stim ejecting was unfair and an exploit when they're not. They're key components of the game

Strakt

Uhm.... skill? Its a movement mechanic that isn't faceroll.

Why do you think it's a bug? They said upfront that sliding is meant maintain momentum. This was 100% intended by what they've said about sliding, just like bunnyhopping was 100% intended in TF1.

I think it looks awesome and why would it be unnecessary? What even defines unnecessary? Grappling hook is "unnecessary" but included because it's fun and adds a lot to the game. Bunnyhopping or slide hopping or whatever you want to call it, it's just one part about Titanfall that makes it great.

I'll have to see how it is at launch to determine whether slide is better than just hopping but I think it will be based on videos. High skill cap movement is important for the game imo.

Drewfonse

Holy shit at the nitpicking over the controls/mechanics. I'm starting to believe that some people just want this game to fail. I get it, the Tech test week 1 was disappointing. Get over it.

Polygon expressed concern over the Pilot centric maps, but called the mechanics near perfect. And from the gameplay videos? I'd agree with them.

Holy shit at the nitpicking over the controls/mechanics. I'm starting to believe that some people just want this game to fail. I get it, the Tech test week 1 was disappointing. Get over it.

Polygon expressed concern over the Pilot centric maps, but called the mechanics near perfect. And from the gameplay videos? I'd agree with them.

There is some of that for sure. This game got branded as "worse than titanfall1" during the tech test and increasingly few people are clinging to that negativity. Glad they listened though and tuned things up and made some changes.

Some of it was just what limited content we could see though as well.

Top Bottom