• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall Beta (PC/Xbone) Impressions (No Key Begging/Trading or I will ban you!)

DryvBy

FYI everyone, these types of problems are exactly why we're running a beta - to expose problems at scale greater than what we can get ourselves or even with something like the closed Alpha. This wasn't a capacity issue (at our peak playercount we weren't close to hitting the ceiling), its a bug. The goal is to find all these things before people have dropped money on buying the game - launch day needs to be as smooth as possible :)

Oh, and for all the speculation going on about the 360 version. Its coming along really well, Bluepoint is full of phenomenally talented devs. We (being Respawn) have been pushing for them to have all the time they need to make it as good as possible, which means extra time for them to polish it up. We'd all like it to be day and date, but a better game a few weeks later is better than an unfinished one earlier.

I'd rather have a bad beta weekend than another Battlefield 4 launch. No problems.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
All part of the hype train. First we all waited for codes ... now we all wait to play.
eQ2oZSB_zps55fdf7ab.jpg

FYI everyone, these types of problems are exactly why we're running a beta - to expose problems at scale greater than what we can get ourselves or even with something like the closed Alpha. This wasn't a capacity issue (at our peak playercount we weren't close to hitting the ceiling), its a bug. The goal is to find all these things before people have dropped money on buying the game - launch day needs to be as smooth as possible :)

Oh, and for all the speculation going on about the 360 version. Its coming along really well, Bluepoint is full of phenomenally talented devs. We (being Respawn) have been pushing for them to have all the time they need to make it as good as possible, which means extra time for them to polish it up. We'd all like it to be day and date, but a better game a few weeks later is better than an unfinished one earlier.

May sound strange but the anticipation from people to get back playing since the problem arose is a big compliment. Encouraging despite the issue.

Atone13

Even though I have beta I quoted you anyway just to make sure there weren't hidden keys.

You've broken me.

LOL I did this too, couldn't help myself. That was a lot of fun last night DK, sad as hell cuz im so damn slow, but still very much fun. Hopefully when this gets sorted out you can make a return to that thread for some more fun.

de1irium

Don't have impressions yet since I just got my key and the servers are down, but I'd definitely prefer to play with TitanGAF ... can add me on origin @ StillDelirium.

Freki

Thx for the answer and the key again.

Question on the PC version - atm it's either heavy screen tearing with vsync off at stable 60fps or a really laggy / unsmooth experience with either double or triple buffering on. Is this on your radar?
edit: 560ti 3GB and 2500k@4.1Ghz - everything low except textures high and 2*MSAA

Fair. People just want to play because you've crafted such an incredibly fun game.

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment

Question on the PC version - atm it's either heavy screen tearing with vsync off at stable 60fps or a really laggy / unsmooth experience with either double or triple buffering on. Is this on your radar?

I suspect you're running an NVIDIA card? If so, yup. Seems to be some weirdness with the way the driver deals with how we queue up frames. Working very closely with them on addressing it.

SeaCarrot

Banned
Posted this is the NPD thread, want to know what you guys think of it. I been thinking, and I'm willing to bet that the delay for Titanfall on 360 was a political move by MS. The news came out about the time that MS would have gotten January's numbers back. So, realizing they really need Titanfall to move units, they delay the 360 version so that if people want it at launch they have to do it on PC or Xbox One.

Does it matter? Is it not a perfectly reasonable thing to do in their situation? Would you not do it?

I think its perfectly reasonable that now with a new gen out they want their new flagship product to be helping push units, they wouldn't have invested in its exclusivity otherwise. I'm almost surprised its coming out on 360 at all but I suppose with the size of its player base it would be madness not to.

Freki

I suspect you're running an NVIDIA card? If so, yup. Seems to be some weirdness with the way the driver deals with how we queue up frames. Working very closely with them on addressing it.

Yep - sry for not adding my rig - 570ti 3GB; 2500k@4.1Ghz; 8GB DDR3; 120GB SSD M4 Crucial; Win7 Professional 64bit.
Thx for the fast reply again :-D

Azsori

It's late...take the rest of Friday off. Other people are working on the servers anyway. I fully authorize it :).

hawk2025

That should be a more than capable machine. What kind of issues are you seeing?

Well, yeah. There isn't actually an unlimited number of servers in "da clowdz"

...of course, the point is whether or not there's a chance that your game (or any other!) may eventually be capped by a limit imposed on the number of servers.

That is, a potentially binding ceiling.

Yuuichi

That should be a more than capable machine. What kind of issues are you seeing?"
I was getting some pretty serious framerate issues on the recommended settings, which are listed as this. I ultimately made it playable, if not very good looking, with settings like these (might have turned off MSAA, don't remember). It got especially bad in areas with fog or when I would ADS, but the issues continued (but did improve) even when I turned that down, so I don't think it's just one thing. I can get you more complete info (dxdiag) if you want it, but I know this probably isn't the place for that.

Edit: I suppose I should mention the only other thing I was running at the time was chrome, which shouldn't have been causing problems.

Mupod

While you're here, can you talk about the optimization some? My 560ti and 2500k @ 4.2ghz seem to be having more trouble than they should keeping a solid framerate on even the recommended settings, so any advice is appreciated.

I have a 2500k and GTX 580, I'm still running nvidia 314.22 drivers and the only real issue I have is flickering burn cards at the pre-game menu. Game itself is fine with everything maxed/8xMSAA/high textures. Insane textures chug the game but my 580 only has 1.5 gigs so that's expected.

Considering the horror stories I've heard about pretty much every driver they've released after that one I'll stick with this until there's a game I absolutely can't play.

Not trying to be an ass or anything but I thought the whole point behind this Azure cloud server was to prevent stuff like this from happening? Those millions of servers or whatever ...

Boogdud

edit: 560ti 3GB and 2500k@4.1Ghz - everything low except textures high and 2*MSAA

I'll see what it looks like on gsync, whenever servers are back up.

Megasoum

Banned
Not trying to be an ass or anything but I thought the whole point behind this Azure cloud server was to prevent stuff like this from happening? Those millions of servers or whatever ...

Like the guy from Respawn said, it's not a capacity issue, it's a bug in the server software.

JambiBum

It isn't the fact that they ran out of servers, it's the fact that a bug is preventing new ones from being used. So only servers that were already in use are currently able to be used.

eroots

Titanfall twitter keeps talking about Microsoft working on gettting servers up... That's good and all for xbox, but what about PC? What's the word on the problem with pc servers? Is MS handling them too?

Freki

I'll see what it looks like on gsync, whenever servers are back up.

Vsync off works fine so I'd expect gsync working fine as well as it "simply" adjusts the monitor refresh rate to be in sync with the rendered frames.
Would be cool if you could verify this though.

sflufan

Banned
Titanfall twitter keeps talking about Microsoft working on gettting servers up... That's good and all for xbox, but what about PC? What's the word on the problem with pc servers? Is MS handling them too?

Yes, all servers are being handled by the MS Azure network.

Yuuichi

I have a 2500k and GTX 580, I'm still running nvidia 314.22 drivers and the only real issue I have is flickering burn cards at the pre-game menu. Game itself is fine with everything maxed/8xMSAA/high textures. Insane textures chug the game but my 580 only has 1.5 gigs so that's expected.

Considering the horror stories I've heard about pretty much every driver they've released after that one I'll stick with this until there's a game I absolutely can't play.

I can always try a rollback, as I'm currently running 331.82 for drivers. However, I'm suspicious of that being the issue, because BF4 gives me a solid 40-60 on high with a small drop when things explode 2 feet from me, which is about what I expect.

Top Bottom