• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall beta will be an entirely new build/anti-cheat system in place

Mononoke

Banned
Pretty much. It played awesome but you could easily tell it was an older, stable build that they could turn down sliders to push a client out that would allow them to focus on the server side stuff, which sounds like it went really well, and not worry about the game crashing from unknown bugs.

That said, I'm crazy excited for the beta.

Yeah, it was purely a test for the servers. The core game mechanics were all amazing though. I'll be curious to see if there are any improvements to the AI with the later builds.

E92 M3

I have been banned so I couldn't post my feedback on the Alpha, but it was the most fun MP game I have played since Halo 2, and I play pretty much everything. Even if the Alpha was the shipping game I would not care because it was so dam fun.

Watch out there, you're dropping nuclear bombs now ;)

Bsigg12

Yeah, it was purely a test for the servers. The core game mechanics were all amazing though. I'll be curious to see if there are any improvements to the AI with the later builds.

I would like to see the AI being more of a factor. I think the AI for the Titans was pretty great, but all the NPCs running around had too many moments of "why are they here?"

Core mechanics were prime though. They felt great.

gaugebozo

It (the alpha) was released at 25% of actual quality to keep download size low since it was a technical test. It was only a 3gb download and only 2 maps. I don't really want to download a 12gb beta but I will if I have to to play it again.

You'd probably want the beta to be as close to the final product as possible, even with an increased download size. This allows you to catch more bugs, do more tests of performance, etc... There just probably won't be all of the maps.

Hip Hop

It kind of sounds like this, and look at how that turned out on PC:

https://twitter.com/IWMarkRubin/statuses/387307624837828608

The old Infinity Ward wasn't very good at anti-cheat by looking at their COD games. Modern Warfare 2 especially.

I may just get the game for the Xbox One whenever I purchase that, or even if. For one, the hacking might be less rampant and I'm sure the community will be much bigger.

I am not a fan of games being called beta less than a month before release. They will have no time to change anything. It will basically be a demo to help spread the word and test the servers. They only call it a beta so that if anything crazy happens they can say well that's why there is a beta, the problem is those "beta" problems usually persist after the game releases.

Am still pretty sour about some previous game's betas. Who knows maybe respawn has all their ducks in a row, but online games rarely do. There are too many variables.

Klocker

I am mot à fan of cames being called beta less than a month before release. They will have no time to change anything. It will basically be a demo to help spread the word and test the servers. They only call it a beta so that if anything crazy happens they can say well that's why there is a beta, the problem is those "beta" problems usually persist after the game releases.

Am still pretty sour about some previous game's betas. Who knows maybe respawn has all their ducks in a row, but online games rarely do. There are too many variables.

respawn dev page 1
FYI guys, the beta build isn't final code. It has to go through cert before final does - it was branched a while ago. That said it is close, but still not gold. Can't wait to see how everything goes once tons of people are playing! Breaking things in beta means we can have fixes for launch :D

jacksrb

I am not a fan of games being called beta less than a month before release. They will have no time to change anything. It will basically be a demo to help spread the word and test the servers. They only call it a beta so that if anything crazy happens they can say well that's why there is a beta, the problem is those "beta" problems usually persist after the game releases.

Agree that the game change too much - but this kind of beta can help with balancing tweaks, etc with a bigger player base and to make sure the server tech is where they want it.

Hope I can get in on the Beta - looks awesome!

respawn dev page 1

That's very typical as well. Still all it does ia give them leeway to say "yep we know, we are working on it". Doesn't change the fact that a lot of issues in betas are not addressed by release.

The Battlefield betas are also old builds and we all know how those turned out after release. And it's not just Battlefield that does this. It's a glorified demo, not much will change before release other than the things they were already optimizing and changing anyways. Even demos are often old builds. Lol. God of War 3 demo that came out a month or two before release was a nearly year old E3 demo.

Agree that the game change too much - but this kind of beta can help with balancing tweaks, etc with a bigger player base and to make sure the server tech is where they want it.

Hope I can get in on the Beta - looks awesome!

That is the hope anyways. The longer they wait the less likely that is the case. We are just over a month away, and don't even have a date for the beta. Which means at best it drops 3 weeks from release.

Also because these betas are old builds most of the time devsdint want to use these betas for balance and tweaks because there are so many changes already in the final build they want to wait for that first. So really their only purpose is PR and server testing which I am also skeptical of since the final build may also impact servers as well (positive and negative).

Mrbob

I may just get the game for the Xbox One whenever I purchase that, or even if. For one, the hacking might be less rampant and I'm sure the community will be much bigger.

Why do you assume the XB1 community will be bigger? BF4 is more popular on PC than it is on 360 or XB1:

http://bf4stats.com/

Currently online players:
PC

PS3

XBOX360

XBOXONE

PS4

So is PS4. Respawn am cry.

Why do you assume the XB1 community will be bigger? BF4 is more popular on PC than it is on 360 or XB1:

http://bf4stats.com/

So is PS4. Respawn am cry.

Battlefield began as a PC franchise, so it still has strong roots in that space, but even still when you add up those console numbers they dwarf the PC.

Titanfall has no PC legacy, and has been marketed as an XB1 experience from the beginning. I'd be very surprised if the XB1 player base isn't larger than PC the first week it's out.

they should really just give it to everyone on xbox one. With so many people calling this a system seller, I would think they would want to destroy the servers during an open beta rather than at launch. But as we all know, EA will never have a good launch

HariKari

Here's hoping for FairFight over the token Punkbuster inclusion. PB is worthless, because it relies on scanning and being up to date. Fairfight examines the stats of a player and compares them against all sorts of metrics and averages. Battlefield 4 has benefited a great deal from it. If you've got massive pools of player data sitting around you may as well pay people to scan the data for obvious hackers.

Probably punk buster, lol

Does the game have full rcon support?
Having admins on community ran servers is a thousand times more effective than some shitty anti cheat system that only works against the first 3 aimbot results for that game on google

HariKari

Does the game have full rcon support?
Having admins on community ran servers is a thousand times more effective than some shitty anti cheat system that only works against the first 3 aimbot results for that game on google

There are no traditional servers. It's matchmaking, 6v6. So at best there will be a votekick system.

Top Bottom