• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall has maximum player count of 12 (alongside AI) [Respawn comments post #558]

fallagin

Hopefully they allow modding on pc. I'm sure the vanilla version will be great, but not everyone is the same and some may enjoy more players/no bots. Options are good.

CamHostage

I'm a little down that it's only 12, since the overwhelming style of battle seems to hint at more large-scale army battles. That said, if it makes the game better, all the better for it. We've chased the player count bulletpoint cap for too many years, culminating in MAG proving that there is such a thing as "too much" (even though games like Planetside do go further down the spectrum.) Leave it to the next game to try for a different goal (and hopefully we do have games that continue to push, because we have seen shrinkage... my poor PlayStation Vita hasn't seen player counts even half of what the mighty PSP once pulled off,) all that matters with this game is that is doing what's right for its design and style of fun.

Syf

Banned
That's really disappointing because I was expecting large-scale battles, but 6v6 can still work. I'll just be waiting for more impressions now.

Lots of armchair game designing going on in here. I'd suggest playing before judging a something as insignificant as a number in a vacuum.

Vince is right - we tried a huge amount of playercounts (all the way down to 1v1 and up quite high) and designed the maps, gameplay mechanics, and entire experience around which played best. If anyone wants to chase the numbers game, perhaps we're not the experience they're after? I dunno.

And FYI, for amount of stuff happening at once in a map you'll be hard pressed to find a game that keeps the action higher. I literally have to stop playing every few rounds because my heart just can't take it some times. Remember, you can get out of your Titan and let it roam on AI mode - meaning there can be 12 Pilots wallrunning around, 12 Titans stomping below, and dozens of AI doing their thing.

Oh, and I keep seeing people thinking we've got "bots" when we talk about AI. Thats not how they are. The AI in Titanfall are not replacements for human players. Our playercount is not 6v6 because of AI - AI play their own role in the game and are a different class of character in the game.

Can't wait! Only a couple months until speculative threads like this are gone and people are actually talking about their experiences with the game. Its truly fun stuff, and I hope everyone at least gives it a try.
Relax. You'll be swimming in GOTY Awards late this year!

Because kneejerk nonsense and not reading about the actual game or watching footage of it. Do we really, really need more war zone games? Are these still novel to people? Play Battlefield, play Planetside, play Tribes. We've had 128 player servers in these games dating back to the 90s.

Titanfall is the only really interesting looking new competitive FPS to hit in eons, for me. I'm really, really glad it's doing the stuff it is. It's not COD and it's not Battlefield, let it be it's own thing.
Your approval of the choice to go with 6v6 is pure speculation based on your desires for a game you haven't played. Their disappointment in the low player count is pure speculation based on their desires for a game they haven't played. We have plenty of warzone games already, and we also have plenty of games that have around 6v6, so that special pleading is moot.

Let's calm down and accept that this is a discussion forum for a variety if contrasting opinions to be shared, and stop trying to force a narrative that enthusiasm is the only rational or informed reaction to all of this, while being hypocrites in the process.

Personally the engine disappoints me, and I see the low player count as something not being utilized to give me the change of pace that's being sold to me, because they throw a bunch of AI in there anyway. It's another high population game, just not much of the population is real people. I like both low player count and high player count games, but if I'm going to play a high player count game I'd generally prefer that they're all actual players. I'll wait for reviews.

noobasuar

Banned
Not even going to bother going through much of this thread to realize that most of Neogaf users have no idea about anything game design related. Hell we just went through a year of people saying Knack resembled Crash Bandicoot in its game design.

The sooner most of you pick up a book and stop sitting on this website all day you'll be better off.

ramuh

Will definitely give it a try on PC. Looks somewhat promising, can't wait to test it out. Looking forward to your future projects as well.

Ya. I will be picking this up on PC or should I say Origin. Any word on PC level performance?

Vince is right - we tried a huge amount of playercounts (all the way down to 1v1 and up quite high) and designed the maps, gameplay mechanics, and entire experience around which played best.

Which is fine, but how about - just for shits and giggles - you throw in some extra player modes for people who want that sort of thing? Good multiplayer games should excel at giving players different gameplay options and variations. Locking the entire game to max 6v6 may have seemed like the wisest choice for you guys, but it does sound limiting.

Im glad for the smaller player counts, and judging by what we have seen, the enemy ai will give you some nice cannon fodder as you are moving through the maps.

For those times i want something larger, i will go back to battlefield 4.

Lots of armchair game designing going on in here. I'd suggest playing before judging a something as insignificant as a number in a vacuum.

Vince is right - we tried a huge amount of playercounts (all the way down to 1v1 and up quite high) and designed the maps, gameplay mechanics, and entire experience around which played best. If anyone wants to chase the numbers game, perhaps we're not the experience they're after? I dunno.

And FYI, for amount of stuff happening at once in a map you'll be hard pressed to find a game that keeps the action higher. I literally have to stop playing every few rounds because my heart just can't take it some times. Remember, you can get out of your Titan and let it roam on AI mode - meaning there can be 12 Pilots wallrunning around, 12 Titans stomping below, and dozens of AI doing their thing.

Oh, and I keep seeing people thinking we've got "bots" when we talk about AI. Thats not how they are. The AI in Titanfall are not replacements for human players. Our playercount is not 6v6 because of AI - AI play their own role in the game and are a different class of character in the game.

Can't wait! Only a couple months until speculative threads like this are gone and people are actually talking about their experiences with the game. Its truly fun stuff, and I hope everyone at least gives it a try.

Everything else in your post is fine and has got me hyped. I can't blame you since this is your baby. Full disclosure, Titanfall is what is going to get me to buy an Xbox One. I just have to say this and, I don't want to offend you, but there has been a piss poor job explaining and marketing this game. The narrative right now is this is CoD with mechs. I don't think that is the case because I've been following the game. I'm super excited about how the AI bots feature into the game and how the mechs v. infantry works. The post match extraction stuff, etc.

Not every game has to be 32 v. 32. The whole Evolve game reveal has got me excited and it's 4 vs. 1. The only thing that has got me worried about your post is that the mechs are going to be AI controlled if you are out of them.

CoD4 was one of my favorite games of the last generation. Titanfall looks great, but, honestly, if it's like a MW2 where there were kill streaks every three seconds or constant harriers in the air, I'll probably play for like a month and move on. Please tell me the mechs aren't going to be like AC-130s in CoD when the pilots are out.

I really think you guys should highlight the shit that makes Titanfall different from other popular MP games, whether it's post match extraction stuff or how the game just is different from CoD. I know it's different from CoD, but I'm sure the higher ups want to make it look like it's just CoD with mechs.

That's going to work for the mass market, but I really, really, really hope Titanfall shakes shit up in terms of MP shooters. Because FFS I can't take CoD anymore. I realize you guys have nothing to do with that now, but if Titanfall is just a cluster fuck like MW2 I'm out. I'm hoping this and other games that have been announced actually redefine how MP games are played because right now? I don't give a fuck about competitive MP shooters where as I was on CoD4 ever weekend for years.

That's really disappointing because I was expecting large-scale battles, but 6v6 can still work. I'll just be waiting for more impressions now.

Have you not seen or heard anything on this game? Why is that disappointing? How were you expecting large-scale battles with what has been said about this and knowing who is developing it?

When you work on something for a period of time and put your heart and soul like any artist you might get a little defensive too.

Exactly. The level of disrespect is hilarious. People are pissing in Respawns coffee and upset because they say cut it out. It seems like some people are still holding the drm thing against MS and taking their vengeance out on anything relative to xb1.

methane47

I just finished up Last of Us last week on my new PS3, played some Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons tonight and Metal Gear Rising starting on Thursday, the latter two both on PC.

I'm having a god damn blast right now.

You are making this point from a 480p youtube screen cap.

Even without going farther its a bit of a stretch.

In the HD footage from E3. There's Bots, piloting mechs, running around, capturing points, killing enemies, getting killed by enemies.

nahh they have a COMPLETLY different role from Regular players

Besides maybe giving less onscreen popups when you kill one.

Big-E

I am now fairly skeptical of this game. This past generation has seen me play primarily 5 competitive online shooters for a sizeable time. Those shooters were RFOM, TF2, Halo 3, MW2 and CSGO. The ones I enjoyed the most out of those 5 were RFOM, TF2, and CSGO. On all three of those games, I did not enjoy playing in the smaller matches compared to some of the larger ones. Titanfall could end up being a great game but I think the only way I end up playing it now is if all my friends kind of twist my arm to get it like they did with MW2.

HariKari

There has been a TON of debate back and forth in the studio over the years about "ideal" player counts. Can I ask you something? What is it about larger player counts that you like vs smaller? Is it the feeling of a large war? Is it something like interactions per minute? Is it high target count? Is it a general "intensity level"? Potentially higher opportunity for random occurrences of crazy stuff happening?

High count games tend to have persistent servers. From what you've told me, Titanfall doesn't have that. I played on the same TF2 server for a year and enjoyed the sense of community. It is a combination of all the things above, but it also has to do with the challenge of playing against actual players. You will never convince me that AI can correctly mimic the experience another player provides. More importantly; I know there aren't more players on the enemy team. I know the grunt I just wasted - quite easily - was programmed to be that way. You can tune these players to be as easy or as difficult as you want. They will never give the same satisfaction as killing another human player.

Part of the appeal of dropping into a large server is coming up against the unknown. Will someone smash my team? Will my team smash theirs? Will it be a constant tug of war? These are all things that are better answered when there are more actual people to enjoy the experience with. This is a shooter after all. That's the appeal of high counts, to me. And the games that do it right do it very well. People want to use 64 player TDM as a knock against high count games, and that's just not correct. But there are people who enjoy that sort of thing, and those games give them that option.

I wish your game would give me the option. I understand it does not fit your design decision, but also understand that your vision does not fit every gamer. There are lots of people, many of whom I'm talking to right now in my own gaming circle, that would adore a 24 or 32 player Titanfall mode. Your answer will be "try it" and I will. But I know the limitations of small count games, and as creative and delicious as Titanfall looks, It will never escape some of the fundamental flaws those games have.

If those are concerns like what you have - I'd highly suggest checking out the game if you have a chance. Comparing to my experience in Battlefield over the last decade, and games like Planetside 1 + 2, MAG, etc. there's plenty happening in a large enough space that Titanfall doesn't feel like a small player count game. I think thats the crux of it. This isn't a sneaky, empty world, where you're constantly straining your ears to hear footsteps around a corner - this is big, loud, bombastic action that leaves you laughing and screaming.

And yet in Planetside and MAG you are laughing and screaming with other players, due to the actions of others. In Titanfall, it's five other people.

I have no doubt that you guys will unleash upon the world a unique experience that is worthy of praise. I just don't think it will be for me. And I fully understand why you included the AI, and what you are shooting for. I can see how that would appeal to the high count crowd. But I like playing with other humans and a persistent community. Maybe higher counts is something you can explore in sequels, expansions, or DLCs. I would encourage it. Because there's a huge market that loves your game that also loves large scale games.

Grief.exe

Hopefully they allow modding on pc. I'm sure the vanilla version will be great, but not everyone is the same and some may enjoy more players/no bots. Options are good.

Doubtful

• AAA publishers have been leaning away from modding tools due to the DLC business model. You easily could argue that mods would lead to increased player retention, which would increase DLC sales, but I digress.
  • The server solution is Microsoft Azure which normal players won't be able to rent and customize

Which is fine, but how about - just for shits and giggles - you throw in some extra player modes for people who want that sort of thing? Good multiplayer games should excel at giving players different gameplay options and variations. Locking the entire game to max 6v6 may have seemed like the wisest choice for you guys, but it does sound limiting.

If we could rent our own servers we could run custom player counts, but the server solution is Microsoft Azure dedicated servers, aka 'The Cloud' on Xbox One.

Pretty sure that the sequel will have more than 6v6.

Having a few mechs running around on a bit larger map with 24 people running around on walls sounds way too amazing. Bummed its only 6v6.

Sneds

I think I've tried explaining this same point several times. Maybe it needs to be experienced to understand. But I thought the moba comparison would help. You aren't shooting AI over humans. You are shooting them alongside humans.

The point of the comparisons with moba games is to help you understand that the AI are not replacements for humans. That was all. I'm not comparing the game to mobas, I am comparing the AI aspect.

Thanks for taking the time to clarify and explain your point. I have a better understanding of the game now. Another poster made the comparison to L4D which also makes sense. It does sound as though Titanfall is aiming for something new whereas when I read 12 players plus AI I was imagining my experience with bots in other FPS games.

It may be that Titanfall still isn't the game for me but I'll keep an open mind and I hope that it's fun. I certainly predict that it will be hugey popular.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
This thread makes me want to fire up CoD and CoD2 again, those 32vs32 matches might not have been the best fit when it came to tactically winning with your team on those maps (especially on CoD1) but the chaos sure was fun at times, MP shooter audiences love crowded servers so it'll be interesting to see how well this is going to be received

NeoGash

That's the beauty of Halo! Many people have different opinions on Halo's sweet spot. From 1v1 to 8v8, it can be a great game.

If Respawn thinks 6v6 feels good for the game, than I honestly trust them.

I only played Halo: Reach online, but IMO 4v4 is the sweet spot for TDM. When players drop and it becomes 3v3, it is basically unplayable IMO. Funny how one less player on each team makes so much difference.

Invasion on Spire 6v6 is also amazing, because you are on big maps. IMO 8v8 was too much. My favourite modes were 4v4 on small maps and 6v6 on big maps. Halo: Reach was like 4 games in one for me. 4v4 Halo TDM, 4v4 SWAT (CoD), 6v6 Invasion (on Spire) and 8v8 vehicle battles. If I got bored of one mode, I could play another mode and it genuinely did feel like a different game, which was quite amazing. I got over 30,000 kills in less than 6 months, but I stopped playing because of lag.

I have faith that Titanfall's 6v6 will be very well made and acceptable, and I'd like to think they'd implement dedicated servers, not "dedicated servers" if you know what I mean.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I wonder how many people here have actually played TitfanFall. I'm going to guess not many.

6v6 is already INCREDIBLY hectic due to how the game plays out and the visual/audio bombardment. And that was with 360 pads, KB+M is going to be a chaotic death rampage.

Lower player counts imo allow for tighter control over maps / places and more player importance over large numbers of players.
I still don't like the AI stuff (In a low TTK game shooting anything from an odd spot means you are a player and time to analyze if things are bots or humans is not a lot), but I haven't played hundreds of games of it yet to grasp it.

Daingurse

Was hoping for 8v8, because . . . well I don't know when I think about it, just what I was expecting. I'm no developer though, so if they say they tried all sorts of player counts and settled with 6v6 . . . well I'll simply have to trust their judgement for now. At least until I can get my hands on the game myself.

fallagin

Doubtful

• AAA publishers have been leaning away from modding tools due to the DLC business model. You easily could argue that mods would lead to increased player retention, which would increase DLC sales, but I digress.
  • The server solution is Microsoft Azure which normal players won't be able to rent and customize

If we could rent our own servers we could run custom player counts, but the server solution is Microsoft Azure dedicated servers, aka 'The Cloud' on Xbox One.

Probably, but people will probably find some way around this. Just like they did when MW2 went a similar route.

Edit: Heck people even do this for WoW. That of course is a bit shady and probably illegal based on WoW's subscription model, I just meant in terms of difficulty, if you can do it to wow then you can surely do it for titanfall.

jcracken

Banned
Exactly. The level of disrespect is hilarious. People are pissing in Respawns coffee and upset because they say cut it out. It seems like some people are still holding the drm thing against MS and taking their vengeance out on anything relative to xb1.

Well, not saying that this is everybody, but there are going to be people out there who went 360 last gen, made a kneejerk reaction to follow everybody else they know on the internet and in person to switch to Playstation, then realize after DRM reversal that they may have made a mistake. Honestly, if you use Reddit as a case study, you'd find that E3 was when most anti-MS posts got the most support, then it kind of lulled down until the DRM reversal, when people try to justify switching over by posting and upvoting things about lower powered X1 and higher price, etc. Even now I know people who went PS4 and are really anti-X1 but struggle to explain why they went PS4 in the first place, especially when they could afford either or didn't really care about graphics in the past.

Now, I'm not saying the X1 doesn't have faults in higher price and less power, but there definitely are people who normally wouldn't care about that but suddenly do, because they suddenly realized they preordered a console that had a brand they never supported before and on top of it didn't have that much compelling to offer at launch.

Edit: Personally, if each console had been on the same playing field, same price, same specs, no DRM stuff, etc., I think both consoles would have 4 million sales just from supporters and their first Christmas. I think because MS fucked up so bad, X1 fell down to about 3 million guaranteed sales and PS4 went up to 5 million guaranteed sales, at the very least. For all we know the split could be 4 and 6.

Leb

Explanation makes sense; nonetheless disappointed by the low player count. Also, AI cannon fodder: a terrible solution in search of a minor inconvenience.

antitrop

You mean why should I have an opinion on a game that I haven't been convinced to buy? Okay.

I think you already made up your mind, but whatever.

Wow... I guess I wasn't following this game closely enough, but there is no SP campaign?

...Why the fuck not? It has mechs and crazy wall-running. Those 2 things alone sound like it would make for a great SP game.

Are they really okay with not selling more copies of this game?
That is a sizable chunk of players expecting a SP campaign.

This is going to be a whole SimCity scenario again isn't it? :(

Sounds even less attractive now. I was going to wait for a sale on it when it got down to like $10, but what's the point? Who knows if there will be enough people playing on the servers by then.

Fantasmo

Modern Warfare 2 6v6 was equally intense as Battlefield 4 is, 32v32.

Those of you who haven't observed this, I can't really help you understand, though that doesn't mean it's not true.

Sneds

Modern Warfare 2 6v6 was equally intense as Battlefield 4 is, 32v32.

Those of you who haven't observed this, I can't really help you understand, though that doesn't mean it's not true.

It's a different experience though right? You can understand that some people might prefer one over the other?

methane47

In support of 6v6...
Last of Us Multiplayer was quite possibly one of the best multiplayer experiences last gen.
and that's 4v4

CryptiK

Yeah, it's not like LoL and Dota 2 (with AI) are some of the most popular competitive games or anything.
Are you serious? AI is a key part in the gamemode. You don't see NaVi playing against Alliance+AI partners do you?

What a stupid thing to say. AI has nothing to do with the competitive side of Dota and LOL thats all for practice

/FACEPALM

You are dreaming if you think this will take off in a competitive aspect with AI enemies.

noobasuar

Banned
You mean why should I have an opinion on a game that I haven't been convinced to buy? Okay.

Because I don't know what the number of players for multiplayer has to do with anything if you're not discussing what the actual design and balance of the multiplayer is.

It sounds pretty damn stupid to me to be upset about the player count without bringing up the actual design of the game.

HORRORSHØW

Not even going to bother going through much of this thread to realize that most of Neogaf users have no idea about anything game design related. Hell we just went through a year of people saying Knack resembled Crash Bandicoot in its game design.

The sooner most of you pick up a book and stop sitting on this website all day you'll be better off.
STFU and stop acting like you're better than people here.

BearPawB

Banned
It's a different experience though right? You can understand that some people might prefer one over the other?

Sure, then play what you prefer. Not every game has to appeal to every gamer. You want a big experience? Play one of the many many many games that offer that.

Top Bottom