• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall multiplayer footage and overall impressions

LowSignal

giphy.gif

God no, tell me this real. Mt dew codes printed on the caps to get titan cards.

Im not feeling these modes at all.

I know its a tech test, but showing off CTF or hardpoint would have been great

The second mode feels too complicated because of the wave system. Just make it a kind of headhunter/bounty system with changing deposit points maybe?

The flow feels off for that mode IMO.

The maps also dont have that instant recognition tf1 beta maps had. The maps just feel strangely lacking for pilot maneuvers

B3N1

I'd love a layout that swaps LS and A, as A is already Sprint in Halo 5, and only needed when starting your movement. And left stick is easy to reach. I guess I'll remap my controller until then, but this seems to be the most viable option for somepne that doesn't want to spend $150 to stay competitive.

Tried this, not that bad, but needs getting used to. Also, gotta click in menus with LS is just bad.

Im not feeling these modes at all.

I know its a tech test, but showing off CTF or hardpoint would have been great

The second mode feels too complicated because of the wave system. Just make it a kind of headhunter/bounty system with changing deposit points maybe?

The flow feels off for that mode IMO.

The maps also dont have that instant recognition tf1 beta maps had. The maps just feel strangely lacking for pilot maneuvers

It's the worst of Warzone from Halo 5 mixed with BFH's Blood Money. Enemy steals the titan kills, then after I reach the deposit thingy, I get killed, lose half of my farmed $600, enemy cashes in ~$400. The sad thing is, it's either this, or no mobs+titans.

Come launch, I'm sticking to CTF, Hardpoint and (hopefully) Attrition. I'm really not feeling Bounty Hunter much and Pilot Hunter... just... no thanks.

Neither of the maps are instant classics like Angel City and Fracture were but they're fine, just a little too packed with open fields when there should be more tight corridors to facilitate wall running.

Tech Test player here, played a few matches and as a huge fan of the first one I'm disappointed so far. I'll just bullet point some initial impressions:

• Titan play is a lot slower and less satisfying. I don't think there were any shields on my Titan and couldn't tell to how they've adjusted the HUD. Titan dashing has been removed, Ion only has one and Scorch has none. Boosting feels a bit less effective. Scorch's primary weapon is a bit useless since it just fires one rocket before having to reload, but his abilities are very cool. Ion's are pretty standard.
  • Pilot mobility doesn't feel any slower initially, however the map design has made me feel less mobile. The only map I've been able to play on in Bounty Hunter, Homestead, is much much much too open for Pilot play. Titans dominate you too easily and there are few areas for effective wall running. It doesn't feel too bad with the grappling hook, but otherwise it feels more boots on ground.
  • Weapons feel fine, TTK feels a tad bit faster. The anti-Titan weapon is now a secondary alongside handguns, which is unfortunate. Weapons now have an optics slot and two weapon perk slots, which is alright. Apparently the Smart Pistol is now an ability, which helps balance it while keeping it in the game.
  • General gameplay has become too complicated with this Titan Core element. You can not longer just ride and shoot a titan, but instead are immediately ejected off of it after removing their core. The core then can be placed in friendly Titans to boost their health. If a core is removed, then you can throw in a grenade to do some damage to it. These steps have made Pilot-Titan gameplay flow less and its more of an annoyance because all I want to do is shoot the thing.
  • The only two game types in the Tech Test so far are disappointing. Pilot vs. Pilot - which I can't even find a game for yet - doesn't allow Titan usage, a core element of Titanfall. Them promoting this mode so quickly makes me fear they are trying to cater too much to the CoD fanbase and people who dislike Pilot-Titan gameplay. This catering is visible in the other mode, Bounty Hunter, because of how the map and gametype effect gameplay. Players need to kill AI in specific territories to gain currency, but all this does is kill the momentum and center gameplay around specific, often open, areas. Players become distracted by killing AI to help the team, which makes them easy targets for other players and Titans. It feels more like a griefing game type than anything else.
  • HUD is a lot more messy than in the first game, with notifications popping up slightly off center of the screen. It's not visually appealing but it's functional so not a big deal.
  • Sliding is a great addition to the player movement in the game and helps add to the player's momentum.
  • The first game I played I approached like the first game and ended up dying a few times. I had to change my style of gameplay, which was fun and effective, to a more reserved, CoD-like one in order to get kills and play the objective effectively, which is a very bad sign.
I'll definitely be playing more and will hopefully warm up to some of the changes, but it's not looking too great as of now for a fan of the old.

If you badmouthed attrition in TF1 i straight up hate you right now.

I totally want to continue to bash pilot vs Pilot. I mean what is the point in a game about gigantic titan mechs bashing each other to pieces to then have a mode where they are absent? It is heresy I say. Also the mode in the first game was so fucking boring, I get that there's options for people who for some reason want a titanless mode but man it just ruins the fun and enjoyment you feel in Titanfall.

I shall wait till Friday for the beta test!

I totally want to continue to bash pilot vs Pilot. I mean what is the point in a game about gigantic titan mechs bashing each other to pieces to then have a mode where they are absent? It is heresy I say. Also the mode in the first game was so fucking boring, I get that there's options for people who for some reason want a titanless mode but man it just ruins the fun and enjoyment you feel in Titanfall.

I mostly enjoyed the normal gametypes with Titans in TF1. I'm all for options though. I'll gladly play a round of pilots only now and then. Everyone's into different stuff. Just another game mode.

jeffc919

Is it confirmed that regenerating titan shields are gone or is this maybe just something they are doing for the demo? I thought I read somewhere that they did the same thing in the TF1 demo years ago. Not sure what the motivation would be for that?

Tokubetsu

This is how I feel as well.

Bydobob

still figuring shit out but that first one was rough lol

Just watched your bounty match and aye, there's a bit of learning to do. Notice how you kept getting killed by Kayser whatsisname - he was the only person in the battle using movement semi-properly.

Biggest things that struck me:

TTK doesn't seem much different than in TF1, was always pretty rapid
Movement does seem slower, even accounting for lack of wall-running
Titans seem to take longer to drop
More open maps? (would need to see them all)
Appears to be more minions on the field - definitely pleased about that
More realistic weapon sounds
Much improved graphics
Titans less mobile - have they abolished dashes?

Game looked great fun, but noticeably different and less frenetic than first game. Hopefully we see some PC footage soon to compare.

I really like it. I like the added weight. I love the Titans, they feel really heavy and their weapons are way more interesting. I don't like their Bounty Hunt mode and refuse to play Pilots v Pilots. Bounty Hunt is a little too camping heavy. And the map is too open. I want some Attrition on a map with lots of big vertical walls for me to run on. And the framerate gets rough at times, but it's a tech test so that's ok.

Grappling hook seems like it could be pretty amazing once you get the hang of it.

First thing I did was wall run, double jump, wall run again over a huge distance and I let out a satisfied "oh yes".

Tokubetsu

Just watched your bounty match and aye, there's a bit of learning to do. Notice how you kept getting killed by Kayser whatsisname - he was the only person in the battle using movement semi-properly.

Biggest things that struck me:

TTK doesn't seem much different than in TF1, was always pretty rapid
Movement does seem slower, even accounting for lack of wall-running
Titans seem to take longer to drop
More open maps? (would need to see them all)
Appears to be more minions on the field - definitely pleased about that
More realistic weapon sounds
Much improved graphics
Titans less mobile - have they abolished dashes?

Game looked great fun, but noticeably different and less frenetic than first game. Hopefully we see some PC footage soon to compare.

Some titans (the fire one in this beta?) has no dash and the other only gets a single dash on a slow recharge. There are no fast mechs in this tech test (im a strider boy too =[)

The only map I've had so far is the BH big one but yea, it's very open.

Movement, nailing a great grapple/slide aside def. feels slower.

Titans def. take longer to build and the you don't build automatically anymore. You have to be be active to build meter and doing more important stuff speeds it up (hurting enemy titans, grappling titans, killing enemies etc).

TTK is about the same yeah.

NateDrake

Got some PS4 1080p/60fps footage uploading now. Hopefully doesn't take too long. Played against some Gaf members, and got some sweet kills - at least in my opinion. Will post links once the footage is done processing.

Rayme

Looks like you can upgrade the dashes and other stuff to the Titans.
Yes. In tech test, I always choose Ion's extra dash. I am a dasher. I need to dash. I dash.

(...though I've recently ALSO found the religion that is Scorch, the Fire Tank Robot Death Walker, so; I dunno.)

There are no fast mechs in this tech test (im a strider boy too =[)

Ronin is my jam. Phase dash is like the girl from The Ring coming at you, but it's a robot with a sword. His counterpart,
XXXXXXXX
, is probably my personal second-favorite, but obviously tastes vary. Also I am routinely ruined right after making poor combat choices in either titan, so don't listen to me.

I think as people discover teaming up as different titan types (or even the same), it'll be interesting. You can cover your friend's weakness with your strength (or aptitude), etc.

Attrition was what? TDM with mechs + AI? I liked that mode.

I dont mind the bots in Titanfall at all.

The new mode is so strangely put together. It's like they are trying to make it super exciting and action paced but it really doesnt flow well and just feels messy. I feel some of this is just the map design.

I actually think batteries are a neat mechanic, but I think Bounty is so distracting that it feels like another thing you have to be doing, so it all looks like it lacks focus.

I do know how Bounty works, I just think the simpler modes are better.

Rodeo'ing seems a little easy to do, but I guess this is where some sense of teamwork comes in with teammates and titans and abilities swatting them away.

As for the abilities, the hook seems useful, but it competes with the sonar/motion sensor, which I think is super useful too. So it's nice to see that sacrifice happening.

Attachments are as typical as they come-- reload faster, ADS faster, etc. I dont like the idea of a gun having two attachments like that. It sounds like a balance headache. Hopefully they keep it simple as far as attachments go.

Honestly, fewer weapons isn't a bad thing, but I worry they may take the criticism of lack of content as a means to put in a shitload of customization for gameplay.

But anyways, to me, they need to give us good modes and well designed maps.

I dislike how these maps have huge fields clearly intended for titans, but absolutely too far and in between buildings for Pilots to do their thing.

Hardpoint was a great mode, as is CTF for a game like this.

I'd love to see more objectives like some demolition/bomb mode too. As far as core modes go, those kinds of modes would probably be great as opposed to Bounty and Pilot v Pilot only.

SwolBro

Banned
they royally fucked up stim. i mean they really fucked this up.

there's some nice control improvements, especially the lack of wallhang option is great. the gun fights feel decent, but holy shit i think they introduced some type of flinch in there????

Titans are completely fucked. i mean, you can't even come out of a vortex and punch rapidly, everything feels sluggish and delayed. my thumbs started to hurt because i wanted to chain runs, bunnyhop (it's practically gone) , move rapidly but i felt like i was being hindered. i dunnnnno man... initial first impressions have me a bit worried they pooched this.

it really feels more Blop3 than Titanfall

Saw some gameplay on one of the maps and thought to myself "where are the walls"? It's a wide open space and everyone was running on the ground

Hard point was more fun though. On PC whatever community there was left after a couple of weeks were all playing attrition and that sucked for me

Definitely want to try the PC version, but it feels like pilot v pilot combat favors the people who stand their ground instead of moving. Titan combat is not nearly as interesting during the fight, And it almost seems like you want pilots to rodeo you just so you can take your battery back for there shields.

jackdoe

Bounty has practically become a "camp the enemy's bank" type game. I've played three games in a row where we lost because time ran out and not because the other team met the score requirements.

Jake2by4

Bounty has practically become a "camp the enemy's bank" type game. I've played three games in a row where we lost because time ran out and not because the other team met the score requirements.

My few games have been the other team and my team go to high spots and pick people off don't deposit anything.

they royally fucked up stim. i mean they really fucked this up.

there's some nice control improvements, especially the lack of wallhang option is great. the gun fights feel decent, but holy shit i think they introduced some type of flinch in there????

Titans are completely fucked. i mean, you can't even come out of a vortex and punch rapidly, everything feels sluggish and delayed. my thumbs started to hurt because i wanted to chain runs, bunnyhop (it's practically gone) , move rapidly but i felt like i was being hindered. i dunnnnno man... initial first impressions have me a bit worried they pooched this.

it really feels more Blop3 than Titanfall

My hype... It is dying :(

TF1 is my favourite online shooter of this gen (whilst it lasted). Ahead of Halo5 and Overwatch. Reading this is really upsetting :(

I hate literally everything they have done with the Titans. You had some of the smoothest, best Mech gameplay, balanced to work with foot soldiers and you've fucked it up! These modes are shit too. This will not do the game any favours when it comes to promotion...which is the whole point of this "tech test".

SwolBro

Banned
Definitely want to try the PC version, but it feels like pilot v pilot combat favors the people who stand their ground instead of moving. Titan combat is not nearly as interesting during the fight, And it almost seems like you want pilots to rodeo you just so you can take your battery back for there shields.
It's not because it's console, the jumps are really floaty. i don't think PC will be any different.

it's really upsetting. i'll never understand design philosophies that change things that are not broken.
My hype... It is dying :(

TF1 is my favourite online shooter of this gen (whilst it lasted). Ahead of Halo5 and Overwatch. Reading this is really upsetting :(

yeah, it's a kick to the gut for sure considering this is the only game this gen i've been really playing (played a bit of destiny and overwatch but for short bursts).

All they had to do is make a Titanfall 1.5 with better graphics, single player, and a lot more content. That's literally ALL they had to do. I'll attempt to give it another go tomorrow. i'm a bit drained from the initial shock of WHYYYYYY

the butchering of stim really has me upset the most.

Yeah the mode just sucks

Combined with the maps, it just does not feel fluid or slick

I really hope the maps are a fluke and that the rest are quality

jackdoe

Yeah the mode just sucks

Combined with the maps, it just does not feel fluid or slick

I really hope the maps are a fluke and that the rest are quality
Honestly, for some of the waves, you're better off camping the enemy bank locations and halving whatever points they earned from killing grunts. And you just need to make sure they never get a chance to bank, or that when they do bank, they bank a fraction of what they earned.

GenericUser

how are the controls? Do you need a scuf controller to compete in the long run or is this game properly designed for a "standard" controller?

SwolBro

Banned
how are the controls? Do you need a scuf controller to compete in the long run or is this game properly designed for a "standard" controller?

you can compete with bumper jumper.

it's a lot more forgiving not having an elite/scuff or using bumper jumper than the first game but i'd still say at least bumper jumper to really enjoy it.

GenericUser

you can compete with bumper jumper.

it's a lot more forgiving not having an elite/scuff or using bumper jumper than the first game but i'd still say at least bumper jumper to really enjoy it.

i'm cool with bumper jumper, but do you have the same abilities with bumper jumper as with a scuf? I just hate it when a couple of month after release, the scuf crowd sucks out the fun for all normies.

SwolBro

Banned
i'm cool with bumper jumper, but do you have the same abilities with bumper jumper as with a scuf? I just hate it when a couple of month after release, the scuf crowd sucks out the fun for all normies.
i used to play bumper jumper, now i have an elite and i think it's better because i have jump set to a back paddle. i can jump and ADS shoot at the same time.

get an elite.

Yeah, they messed up stim.

it's not even like a "oh ok we'll just make it longer" fix. it's almost a worthless ability now. they took the defacto Titanfall pilot ability and rendered it useless.

i'll never understand design philosophies like this.

n0razi

That's not a good representation as the person has stimpack on. Which makes you run faster and using it with wall running makes you cover tons of ground using that momentum.

Part of proper movement in Titanfall is using stims and cards correctly, especially during CTF runs.

Yeah, the Xbox One version doesn't look as sharp as the PS4 build. I can't tell what's different, but I'm guessing it's a resolution disparity. It still plays great, just isn't looking as hot.

Top Bottom