• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT2| Press X To Respawn

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I'm not sure where you're starting point is with the game. Are you just asking about buying this one map pack? Have you bought the others?

I own the first two DLC packs, the issue is right now I'm playing Destiny and will move on to SO and MCC for the rest of the year so I'll see what the fanbase looks like in Jan/Feb and what I'm playing then make a call.

It looks super fun, just don't know if I'll play it much if at all.

Mechazawa

This is not true.

I've rarely seen people complain about it in earnest in chat since the initial glut of launch players and the chatroom generally has no issues being vocal about their, uh, issues.

expected response from smart pistol user. and using a smart pistol is more scrubby than complaining about a stupid autoaim weapon that has no place multiplayer game

The smart pistol is what I'm best at using at.

The only scrubs, are the one's who can't handle playing by the game's own rules.

expected response from smart pistol user. and using a smart pistol is more scrubby than complaining about a stupid autoaim weapon that has no place multiplayer game

The smart pistol is generally balanced by being perhaps the least effective weapon at either long or close range. If fighting someone who is using the SP, don't forget to block their line of sight as much as possible. Conversely, if using the smart pistol, you have to move like a mad man to A. stay alive and B. maintain the lock.

That said, It still feels sucky to get killed by an invisible smart pistol user that you didn't notice and therefore didn't attempt to shake.

HelloMeow

I've rarely seen people complain about it in earnest in chat since the initial glut of launch players and the chatroom generally has no issues being vocal about their, uh, issues.
I havent played the game in about a month, but I used to see it all the time.
A lot of players, ranging from clueless to great don't like the weapon and for good reason.

The only scrubs, are the one's who can't handle playing by the game's own rules.

Just because something is part of a game, doesn't mean it can't be criticized.

tauke

Haha the smart pistol is my weapon of choice when my ping is so bad and waiting for both voice and text chat to curse at me.

Still I can outsmart (no pun intended) Smart Pistol user by avoiding their line of sight or worst case scenario, running towards them closer as this might forced them to try to kick or jump around which screw their aiming.

Although wide open area... it depends on luck really. Most of the time you get kill instead if you don't have a partner ready to assist after you die by the Smart Pistol. :(

Mechazawa

I havent played the game in about a month, but I used to see it all the time.
A lot of players, ranging from clueless to great don't like the weapon and for good reason.

I see it all the time too. But on GAF, in-game, doesn't matter, I don't see anyone actively complaining about it anymore.

I know you were fucking crazy at this game(when you actually played it) though, so I'd actually be legitimately interested in what your personal issues with it are. If anyone would be able to easily handle Smart Pistol users, I'd thought it'd have been you.

Just because something is part of a game, doesn't mean it can't be criticized.
And I don't mean to imply that anything in Titanfall is free from criticism, but complaining about a mechanic in the game(one that Respawn has probably nerfed the least. the Carbine has been hit with the nerf bat harder than the Smart Pistol ever has been) and shit talking other players for using it makes you the literal walking, talking embodiment of a scrub.

lol so ur best gun is the one that requires 0 aiming? ok then
The smart pistol is generally balanced by being perhaps the least effective weapon at either long or close range. If fighting someone who is using the SP, don't forget to block their line of sight as much as possible. Conversely, if using the smart pistol, you have to move like a mad man to A. stay alive and B. maintain the lock.

That said, It still feels sucky to get killed by an invisible smart pistol user that you didn't notice and therefore didn't attempt to shake.

my problem isnt killing smart pistol users but as u said it just sucks to get killed so cheaply sometimes especially when u are going on a killing spree. maybe if they can have a alert that warns users a smart pistol is locking on to them or remove it completely. i think respawn will be forced into changes anyway when the next cod comes out and most people jump ship

I own the first two DLC packs, the issue is right now I'm playing Destiny and will move on to SO and MCC for the rest of the year so I'll see what the fanbase looks like in Jan/Feb and what I'm playing then make a call.

It looks super fun, just don't know if I'll play it much if at all.

So I take it you didn't buy the season pass? I can say the final map pack is definitely worthwhile if you want more Titanfall. I've enjoyed them a lot over the weekend.

HelloMeow

I see it all the time too. But on GAF, in-game, doesn't matter, I don't see anyone actively complaining about it anymore.

I know you were fucking crazy at this game(when you actually played it) though, so I'd actually be legitimately interested in what your personal issues with it are. If anyone would be able to easily handle Smart Pistol users, I'd thought it'd have been you.

I used to say that it wasn't OP, but very annoying. Now I tend more towards saying that it is OP. It's not a matter of being able to deal with it. It's a balance issue that is becoming more and more apparent.

And it's annoying as fuck.

And I don't mean to imply that anything in Titanfall is free from criticism, but complaining about a mechanic in the game(one that Respawn has probably nerfed the least. the Carbine has been hit with the nerf bat harder than the Smart Pistol ever has been) and shit talking other players for using it makes you the literal walking, talking embodiment of a scrub.

I think that article goes too far and tries to shove valid criticism and whiny players into the same category somewhat.

tauke

Is the new DLC any good? I'm not sure if I'm going to get that or D4 so a quick review would be nice.

The map is pretty fun but it depends on the time of day I guess as players who solely play the IMC Rising playlist is not that plenty. It get rotates into the regular mode though.

Still it if for me... I better support D4 as the sales is very low and I hate to see games like that disappear in the near future.

Also was having a blast with Bornstellar! Lesson learned: Never play solo and at least a party of two was awesome as most matches are pretty balanced!

Montresor

The Backwater map (from the new IMC Rising DLC) is incredible. I'm partial to lush, colourful vegetation...

I hope Titanfall 2 has a lot more colourful, vibrant environments. I also hope it has at least one snow map.

And I think it goes without saying that Titanfall 2 should have a real single player. These are the guys that made Modern Warfare 1 and 2 (both incredible single player campaigns)... I think they can mold something worthwhile out of the Titanfall universe.

Titanfall was great to allow instant run. Destiny is giving me arthritus pressing down on the stick. Why can't all games do this? I've got the DLC queued up for tonight.

E92 M3

The Backwater map (from the new IMC Rising DLC) is incredible. I'm partial to lush, colourful vegetation...

I hope Titanfall 2 has a lot more colourful, vibrant environments. I also hope it has at least one snow map.

And I think it goes without saying that Titanfall 2 should have a real single player. These are the guys that made Modern Warfare 1 and 2 (both incredible single player campaigns)... I think they can mold something worthwhile out of the Titanfall universe.

Yes, I've been talking about snow maps for forever. Have no idea why not a single one has been added yet :(

tauke

Got another CTD after a match ended (well I think it happens when it try to load the lobby).

Been playing on US server lately. The only folks who plays on Asia servers are hardcore stacked team so going solo is not a way to have fun-

Titanfall was great to allow instant run. Destiny is giving me arthritus pressing down on the stick. Why can't all games do this? I've got the DLC queued up for tonight.

Yes, Respawn did good with the instant run and constantly pressing it in Destiny is killing my hands.

Destiny is built differently though. The running causes you to have less turn radius, it delays things other mechanics as well. There's a lot of times when running isn't a good idea in destiny because Destiny is built to be slow and cumbersome.

Titanfall poops on Destiny so bad. I've been playing a lot of Destiny lately and i'm sick of it, it's just a frustrating experience with little reward. The main difference between Destiny and Titanfall is in Destiny they'll be way more moments of "WTF, ahhhhh" than "wow that was awesome how i pulled that off" . Every PVP match in Destiny will leave frustrated because shit just didn't work where as Titanfall is constantly filled with fantastic individual moments

tauke

Did they take away the Pilot VS Pilot mode on the Xbox One?! :(

It has been replaced with Wingman LTS if I'm not mistaken.

Either way Pilot Skirmish just can't work with the huge map unless it is specially tailor for 8 vs 8 as it become a camping ground for most of my playtime with it.

I'm not sure if any PC players here experience a slightly higher than usual ping with Update 7? I noticed this affect other players too just by glancing on the the scoreboard as before this I can get average 50ms on SEA server but now it hovers around 100ms (exception for Singapore players as they are right next to the data center).

Did notice a higher than usual ping as well.

Also, if you liked my Titanfall clips, help me win a cool headset (or enter your own cool clips to win). Really, anything would be better than the current leader:
http://pwnit.com/node/5201/5381
My username is Jared2401. If you want to have your vote count for 2, add me as an ally first.

tauke

Did notice a higher than usual ping as well.

Also, if you liked my Titanfall clips, help me win a cool headset (or enter your own cool clips to win). Really, anything would be better than the current leader:
http://pwnit.com/node/5201/5381
My username is Jared2401. If you want to have your vote count for 2, add me as an ally first.

Done voting yours. :) Still a huge gap between the current leader though.

Anyone know a quick way to get an amped vortex shield? Bought 2 titan card packs and haven't got it either time.

I guess the Amped Vortex Shield is a rare card? Not so sure but I got a bunch of them (rarely use Titan burn card except for the actual Titans).

Buzzbrad

I just got this on PC. I would love to play with some people from Gaf. Feel free to add me on Origin. Username is Buzzbrad.

tauke

I just got this on PC. I would love to play with some people from Gaf. Feel free to add me on Origin. Username is Buzzbrad.

Just sent you a friend request!

Man it got quiet in here. The brehs should make a return one day...

Real quiet here after TrueGrime got banned. :( Still I play two or three rounds per day depending on my work.

Edit: Was fun playing with Buzzbrad. A lot of new Gen 1 players too!

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Yup. Working on a fix.

Just an update letting you know the menu lag/freezing is still around.

Only got 2 achievements left now. Both the burn card dependent ones. AMPed vortex shield and Radar Pulse on Sand Trap. Also, Zone 18 is one of the best maps in the entire game.

Montresor

Just an update letting you know the menu lag/freezing is still around.

Only got 2 achievements left now. Both the burn card dependent ones. AMPed vortex shield and Radar Pulse on Sand Trap. Also, Zone 18 is one of the best maps in the entire game.

The bolded is not dependent on burn cards. You can choose that Radar Pulse as a loadout perk.

Omega

Banned
Just sent you a friend request!

Real quiet here after TrueGrime got banned. :( Still I play two or three rounds per day depending on my work.

Edit: Was fun playing with Buzzbrad. A lot of new Gen 1 players too!

TrueGrime was a bitch

jk. come back man. fuck reddit

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
The bolded is not dependent on burn cards. You can choose that Radar Pulse as a loadout perk.

Yeah I just realised yesterday. I forgot completely because I've permanently used Cloke since launch.

Either way, got my final 2 achievements last night. 1600/1600 Titanbrehs.

teokrazia

Oh my... coming from hours of 30 FPS, narrow FoV and limited movements of Destiny PvP is mind-blowing, especially now that thanks to my GTX 970 I'm basically experiencing steady 120 FPS without any stutter.
What amazing game, I missed you!

IMC Rising maps, BTW, at the moment are giving me mixedbag feelings.

Oh my... coming from hours of 30 FPS, narrow FoV and limited movements of Destiny PvP is mind-blowing, especially now that thanks to my GTX 970 I'm basically experiencing steady 120 FPS without any stutter.

I like them since they are stylistically very different. You have to take advantage of skiing much more and be more accurate with your jumps since the walls on 2 of the maps are so low to the ground relative to a lot of the other maps.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood

Zone 18 is arguably the best map of the entire 24 or 25 of them. Amazing map.

Not played Titanfall since Destiny came out and tonight I have been playing Titanfall again, i'm still getting those loading pauses mid-game and after a match on xbox one, was there every a fix for this problem?

Izuna

Banned
I get the pauses as well. I have also noticed a bug with the 40mm (Atlas only maybe) where hip-firing is impossible at close range, since the bullet seems to go through its target.

I wish they did a bug fix where with you are Rodeod, the sound stops as soon as they jump off rather than when it ends.

Apart from these, I love this game so much.

Destiny PvP is so shit in comparison man.

Discobird

I'm with you on that. The new maps are all pretty Titan-friendly, which I generally don't like, but unlike some of the older Titan-friendly maps (like Lagoon and Training Grounds) there are also plenty of good opportunities for parkour. Overall I like the Frontier's Edge maps more because they're less open and lend themselves to more close quarters fighting.

I gotta say though, the maps in this game are overall incredibly good. Even the worst of them are very playable and I wouldn't skip them when they come up in the rotation. I can't think of another recent FPS I can say that about.

Izuna

Banned
Yeah the hipfiring on 40mm is massively bugged. Please fix Respawn!!

8kzTJdR.jpg

I may have overdone it on that last Achievement...

As for the IMC Rising maps.. Nothing really stands out. None of them suck like Export though. I can't really remember which is which, although I have to say Blackwater feels like it is another Nexus where Minion farming is a little too easy.

I think the issue with all 3 new maps is that it's very out in the open. You almost never fight inside. You are throwing grenades from inside, running out to get to more minions etc. and once in a Titan you can pretty much travel across the whole map without any issue, making being the only Titan a bit too much.

As mentioned before, Runoff is the best map in Titanfall. Not the prettiest, and not for every mode (Hardpoint is not good on it, nor is CTF), but the map having Pilot advantages is important.

IMC Rising fits in nicely with the rest, but nothing stands out. It's a shame that the last attempt to stand out gave us Export, which had such a horrible mechanic thrown inside and too much verticality to be good in ANY MODE.

Going back to classics like Angel City and Fracture show that some of the best ideas were already there. It is such a shame that the only method of progression in this game are the Achievements, which continously lock you out from playing Attrition or even the older maps for a good 5-10 hours.

I really hope Titanfall 2 has some sort of non competitive mode. Mass Effect 3 multiplayer, Horde mode (like the training area with the Titans), or something like Lost Planet Colonies... Titanfall 2 doesn't need to invent much except prettier graphics, new Titans, new weapons and maps to please those who are up for a competitive shooter, but something to keep us playing besides arguing if the matchmaking is fair one day to the next is needed.

If I am allowed to score Titanfall now that I have 1600/1600 and hundreds of hours played, I would give it 8/10. Scores are arbitrary, and Titanfall isn't really missing anything to be what it is, but the flawed Matchmaking is a dire shame and there's other way around it other than having a bunch of friends or to use external software for clan matches etc.

I love Titanfall, and until MCC comes out, it will always be the best game on the Xbox One. Even then, MCC is simply a different stroke, but superior matchmaking will make it preferable to play.

How anyone would choose to play Destiny over Titanfall for PvP shows that some sort of progression is needed for extended play in this day and age. That's why I urge Respawn devs to look into Lost Planet 2's loot system.

Discobird

I've noticed the same thing about the 40mm (on PC). It performs fine when zoomed in so I just always assumed that the hip accuracy was terrible.

I agree Runoff is great. Angel City too. Not sure why you dislike Export so much though. The electrocution mechanic is a bit gimmicky but not unfair (you're warned before getting shocked). As for verticality, are you talking about the really high metal beams overlooking the map? There's no cover up there and I've never really had a problem with campers on the beams. Maps like Nexus have more verticality IMO. Maybe it's different on console.

Top Bottom