• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU1 or Forbidden West?

RPS37

They’re both on sale on PS5 for Black Friday for like 40.
I never finished the first Horizon, but it was gorgeous.
I already finished the first Last of Us on Back Compat, but I’ve heard good things.

I’m always looking for something to show off the C2, so whatdya think I should pull the trigger on?

(Backlog be damned)

TexMex

Part One looked great on the OLED. And if you didn’t like the original Horizon enough to finish it, this is just more of that so

Horizon is nice enough, but it has so much filler, so much busy work, that it suffers because of it..

TLOU is much more tightly paced, is linear, focused, but once it's over there's not much to warrant endless replays (in my opinion).

If I had to buy one it'd probably be TLOU, but that's only because you offered a binary choice.

poodaddy

What about Forbidden West being the most graphically impressive game of this generation though? 😭
That won't carry you through a lackluster experience and story. It'll look nice for the first ten or so hours, and then you'll start feeling how the gameplay loop just gets really old. I don't know if you've played The Last of Us, but it's a great game for an initial playthrough, though the replay value is low in my opinion. It's vastly better than Horizon though, not even close.

I agree with the poster above on Gravity Rush though, goddamn what a great couple of games those are.

DeepSpace5D

If you have already played through TLoU before, I’d say you will have a more enjoyable time with Forbidden West. It is a perfect game to show off with your set visually, and in my opinion it improves over many parts of the original. I do think the story is a bit of a letdown though.

TLoU: Part I is a great remake, but you will get a “been there, done that” vibe if you’ve beaten it before.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
That won't carry you through a lackluster experience and story. It'll look nice for the first ten or so hours, and then you'll start feeling how the gameplay loop just gets really old. I don't know if you've played The Last of Us, but it's a great game for an initial playthrough, though the replay value is low in my opinion. It's vastly better than Horizon though, not even close.

I agree with the poster above on Gravity Rush though, goddamn what a great couple of games those are.
Thank you, also Gravity Rush are very beautiful and wonderful games.

They are also economical with great replayability

poodaddy

Thank you, also Gravity Rush are very beautiful and wonderful games.

They are also economical with great replayability
Yup. I always say that when a game is just fun to move in, you'll come back time and time again throughout the years. I return to games like Gravity Rush, Sunset Overdrive, and Spider-Man largely because I simply love moving about those worlds. When something as simple as navigating a space is compelling, you know the game is gonna be a blast to get through, and it makes the replay value nearly infinite.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
I played both this year and have to say that I enjoyed TLOU remake a lot more.

Can't go wrong with either to be honest.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Yup. I always say that when a game is just fun to move in, you'll come back time and time again throughout the years. I return to games like Gravity Rush, Sunset Overdrive, and Spider-Man largely because I simply love moving about those worlds. When something as simple as navigating a space is compelling, you know the game is gonna be a blast to get through, and it makes the replay value nearly infinite.
Furthermore, Kat is the best protagonist in the world of Playstation and Videogames. , for everything she is.... And even her world has a lot of personality.

Forbidden West certainly is a lot bigger, you're going to have many many hours of gameplay. For me the game was a huge disappointment compared to my expectations though, maybe a 7/10 game.

TLOU part 1 is 10/10 for me, and I had played the game in different editions probably 3 times before already. It's just insanely impressive, fun, engaging and special. The technical improvements are absolutely staggering, worth every penny.

Plenty of other better games to play out there.

Amid Evil is really good. Get that.

There's also Doom, Doom 2, Doom 64, Doom 2016, Doom Eternal. Great games.

There's Ikaruga, very cool game.

Some good jrpgs out there too like Digital Devil Saga (PS2), Nocturne, Persona Series is good, Persona 2 Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment are both great.

Sim City 2000, love that game. Valhalla Knights 3 (Vita), brutal game and totally bonkers, it's uhh kinda like an offline mmo, but also not. Very janky, highly recommended.

Legacy of Kain and Soul reaver, both must play games. Soul Reaver is pretty much a masterpiece, so if you don't enjoy that, you have absolutely no taste so yeah maybe replaying TLoU and Horzon Forbidden West is more up your alley.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
HFW. TLOU1 looks worse in every way. HFW is an OLED showstopper. TLOU1 has muted colors, a drab dreary pallete, and some of the worst lighting choices ive seen in a game this gen. TLOU2 looks superior in everyway, but HFW was made for OLEDs.

F90Rx6OWIAEaZrP

F02JpOBWAAAdyf0

Fw_DitPXsA0ksqV

FbvfiNUXoAIi3ij

Last edited:

RPS37

Plenty of other better games to play out there.

Amid Evil is really good. Get that.

There's also Doom, Doom 2, Doom 64, Doom 2016, Doom Eternal. Great games.

There's Ikaruga, very cool game.

Some good jrpgs out there too like Digital Devil Saga (PS2), Nocturne, Persona Series is good, Persona 2 Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment are both great.

Sim City 2000, love that game. Valhalla Knights 3 (Vita), brutal game and totally bonkers, it's uhh kinda like an offline mmo, but also not. Very janky, highly recommended.

Legacy of Kain and Soul reaver, both must play games. Soul Reaver is pretty much a masterpiece, so if you don't enjoy that, you have absolutely no taste so yeah maybe replaying TLoU and Horzon Forbidden West is more up your alley.
Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

HFW. TLOU1 looks worse in every way. HFW is an OLED showstopper. TLOU1 has muted colors, a drab dreary pallete, and some of the worst lighting choices ive seen in a game this gen. TLOU2 looks superior in everyway, but HFW was made for OLEDs.

F90Rx6OWIAEaZrP

F02JpOBWAAAdyf0

Fw_DitPXsA0ksqV

FbvfiNUXoAIi3ij

Dammit. You’re making this harder.

tommib

Get away from Forbidden West. The graphical technology impresses for about 30 minutes and then you’re doing the most banal repetitive crap to the sound of Titanic pan pipe flutes. It’s the tackiest shit. Also that colour palette is made for nouveau riche ADHD influencers and drives me absolutely insane. Get away!

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Dammit. You’re making this harder.
I will make it simple. Google TLOU Part 1 or The Last of Us remake. Go to Images then sort by gifs. You find a single gif of gameplay. Because the gameplay looks boring and dull compared to the cutscene which look stunning and might as well belong in another game.

Then do the same for HFW and sort by gifs. you will see hundreds of gifs because the game looks just as good during gameplay which led everyone to go capture gifs for it unlike TLOU fans who knew it looked lame during gameplay and thus made no gifs. or at the very least, if they made them, no one bothered searching for them for google to show them during search results.

When it comes to showing off OLED, from a purely graphics point of view, HFW is way better. Hell, id say buy GOW and Spiderman 2 over TLOU if you want to show off your oled.

16f319d6a608b4daaf5ef3060949994adb71dc6c.gif
giphy.gif

RPS37

I will make it simple. Google TLOU Part 1 or The Last of Us remake. Go to Images then sort by gifs. You find a single gif of gameplay. Because the gameplay looks boring and dull compared to the cutscene which look stunning and might as well belong in another game.

Then do the same for HFW and sort by gifs. you will see hundreds of gifs because the game looks just as good during gameplay which led everyone to go capture gifs for it unlike TLOU fans who knew it looked lame during gameplay and thus made no gifs. or at the very least, if they made them, no one bothered searching for them for google to show them during search results.

When it comes to showing off OLED, from a purely graphics point of view, HFW is way better. Hell, id say buy GOW and Spiderman 2 over TLOU if you want to show off your oled.

16f319d6a608b4daaf5ef3060949994adb71dc6c.gif
giphy.gif
Looking for something that’s on sale to play after I finish Spidey 2.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
The motivation behind wanting TLOU1 is I’m considering replaying before TLOU2 Remaster arrives.

Watch the story recap on YouTube, it’s the same game, almost 1:1, there’s simply not enough changes. Play Horizon or something else that you will experience for the first time. I’ve purchased TLOU Part I on release and dropped it after reaching Bill. Been there, done that.

Last edited:
RPS37 RPS37 , here are some screengrabs from HFW. It's simply the best showcase for an OLED TV that I've seen so far (it's mind boggling how much eye candy and detail the wizards at Guerrilla managed to put into this open world game). Way better than TLOU Part 1 (played them both on my S95B QD-OLED).

Horizon-Forbidden-West-20220216184251.jpg

Horizon-Forbidden-West-20220217152030.jpg

rzoNd5.png

horizonforbiddenwest_tukuc.png

horizonforbiddenwest_65k1u.png

Last edited:

Hudo

TLoU1 is the second best game ND have ever made (and probably will ever make). It's really, really good. Just be prepared that TLoU2 takes multiple steps back every department except graphics.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
TLoU1 is the second best game ND have ever made (and probably will ever make). It's really, really good. Just be prepared that TLoU2 takes multiple steps back every department except graphics.

I strongly disagree. TLOU 1 is a game you play for characters and story. Level design, encounter design and stealth / combat was pretty bad, even at release. TLOU 2 is vastly superior in these aspects. I can see myself replaying some of the combat encounters in TLOU 2 just for fun, I can't say the same about TLOU 1. But then I can see myself replaying the entirety of TLOU 1 at one point just to experience the dynamic between Joel and Ellie but I'm struggling to complete the story in TLOU 2 after 3 years.

Hudo

I strongly disagree. TLOU 1 is a game you play for characters and story. Level design, encounter design and stealth / combat was pretty bad, even at release. TLOU 2 is vastly superior in these aspects. I can see myself replaying some of the combat encounters in TLOU 2 just for fun, I can't say the same about TLOU 1. But then I can see myself replaying the entirety of TLOU 1 at one point just to experience the dynamic between Joel and Ellie but I'm struggling to complete the story in TLOU 2 after 3 years.
Interesting, we seem to have dual opinions on this because your points of criticism you're making for TLoU1 are the ones I have for TLoU 2.

RPS37

Do not fucking buy Forbidden West
Damn.
And grab The last guardian while You're at it.

But if You're really only choosing out of those two, Forbidden west. More to do in it.
Already played through a lot of TLG. They never gave it an FPS Boost on PS5 though did they?
Watch the story recap on YouTube, it’s the same game, almost 1:1, there’s simply not enough changes. Play Horizon or something else that you will experience for the first time. I’ve purchased TLOU Part I on release and dropped it after reaching Bill. Been there, done that.
Valid.
Buy Robocop instead
I heard it was poop. *checks MC
HFW on an OLED in the 40hz fidelity mode is a next-gen showpiece.
This is what I needed to hear.
Fucking crazy they're charging $40 for TLOUOne
Well shit.
RPS37 RPS37 , here are some screengrabs from HFW. It's simply the best showcase for an OLED TV that I've seen so far (it's mind boggling how much eye candy and detail the wizards at Guerrilla managed to put into this open world game). Way better than TLOU Part 1 (played them both on my S95B QD-OLED).

Horizon-Forbidden-West-20220216184251.jpg

Horizon-Forbidden-West-20220217152030.jpg

rzoNd5.png

horizonforbiddenwest_tukuc.png

horizonforbiddenwest_65k1u.png
What if I never finished HZD though?
40??? Lol That’s why digital is a scam. You can get them much cheaper physical.
I’m all digital, baby.
Starship Troopers GIF

taizuke

I echo the people saying that playing through TLOU Remake is just a new coat of paint.

So, Forbidden West. And, if you ever want to get more out of the gameplay I suggest checking out a youtube channel named Arktix.

Top Bottom