• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU1 or Forbidden West?

What if I never finished HZD though?
There's a video recap with the story of the first game that can be accessed from the main menu of HFW. I'd still recommend playing through the first Horizon though as the story of the old world and all the lore connecting it is very good imo. It's up to you though.

Flutta

Banned
I’m all digital, baby.
Starship Troopers GIF

Matthew Broderick GIF

Shifty1897

If I was you, I wouldn't buy either game.
  1. TLOU1 is not worth $40 if you've already beaten the OG.
  2. You shouldn't play Forbidden West if you haven't beaten the first game
Going back to beat the first game isn't the worst idea now that it has a 60fps patch.

If you're looking for something to show off the new TV, FF16 seems to have a really good HDR implementation and it really made my C2 pop when I got it this year.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I like part 1 more as a game.
Horizon is a very specific bloat open world type of game. It's graphics are spectacular but so are part 1.
Also, horizon is a lot of busy work, materials gathering, upgrading everything, arrow types, damage types. It's exactly like first game but more + woker. I liked it well enough and it's worth playing.

Vblad88

Forbidden West’s story kind of constantly going downhill in comparison to the one in Zero Dawn. Sort of usual for modern Sony sequels these days.

RPS37

New plan is: get back into FF16 after Spidey.
Try to play more HZD at some point.
Skip TLOU1 and just play TLOU2R when it’s released.
Matt Leblanc Whatever GIF

Pimpbaa

If you couldn’t finish Zero Dawn, then you won’t finish Forbidden West. Way more sidequests and grinding for materials. Game feels near identical too. Not the extent of Tears of the Kingdom, but still.

violence

Forbidden west is on PSN plus extra. I actually just beat it but since my subscription is going to lapse. I was thinking of buying the complete collection with the current deal. Once the game clicked with me, I was hooked. Both games are worth 40. You might get more value out of forbidden west. I played it for 96 hours without the DLC. Some of the busy work quests I would just throw on a podcast. Though you really should beat the first one before playing the second one.

Last edited:

Edellus

I thoroughly enjoyed HFW and I even platinumed it (100% the DLC too). It's an spectacular showcase of movement and splendor in combat and the world in general.

That said, if you haven't finished the first Horizon (because you lost interest or w/e); then even though it would probably the best choice to flaunt your C2, you might end up not enjoying it for very long.

The safest bet would be to go for TLOU part I or wait for TLOU part 2 remastered (but that won't go on sale too soon).

But I do encourage you to try HFW still sometime. And if you do, I recommend to play it in hard mode at least and to not worry about completing everything in the map right away. Enjoy the journey, the vistas, and the savagery of the world at your own pace.

Humdinger

I loved the first Horizon but was greatly disappointed with the second. Don't be too swayed by the visuals. They are impressive, but the characters, story, and gameplay of HFW are not very engaging. Unfortunately, the developers chose to stuff the game with filler, changed Aloy for the worse, and just generally screwed up what made the first game great. The first Horizon was a 9/10 for me, but the second was 7/10. Big disappointment.

I enjoyed the first TLOU a lot (no interest in the second, though). I would go for a replay of that before I'd bother with HFW, personally. $40 seems like too much, though. They sure are cashing in with all the remakes and remasters...

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
And grab The last guardian while You're at it.

But if You're really only choosing out of those two, Forbidden west. More to do in it.
And a triple combo.

Gravity rush saga, The last Guardian and Shadow of the colossus.

Also SoTC, it has been one of the best games I have ever played in my life.

Shtof

Forbidden West is probably my favorite game so far this gen, so I'm biased.

I'm a big fan of TLOU (and the sequel, actually), but HFW makes you feel immersed in the world in a way few other games allows.
I don't know if it's the amazing freedom of traversal and combat, the incredibly beautiful world and art design or the duality of the world's lore.
The game is just a lot better than the sum of its parts.

I won't compare the games, as they both are god tier.
But as a final recommendation I'll say: HFW the first time is definitely better than replaying TLoU.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Horizon is a snoozefest. Cannot recommend.
Part One is decent. It’s just a glorified Remaster though, so don’t expect anything new from it.

Trunx81

So many opinions about HFW .. I liked the first one, although it was at it´s worst like an Ubi Soft game with all it´s markers, but the story kept me hooked.

I´m currently also in between two decisions: Buy HFW or Hogwarts Legacy (both on PS4, mind you).

Get away from Forbidden West. The graphical technology impresses for about 30 minutes and then you’re doing the most banal repetitive crap to the sound of Titanic pan pipe flutes. It’s the tackiest shit. Also that colour palette is made for nouveau riche ADHD influencers and drives me absolutely insane. Get away!
Lmao you're making it sound like you have to. All of that stuff is optional. You can literally just play through the main story like any other open world game.

Top Bottom