• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TMZ: Carrie Fisher suffers cardiac arrest on plane (Up: in ICU, condition unknown)

Status
Not open for further replies.
But what does it hurt if people get a little hope? I understand where people are coming from...but still. Is it really helping? I want to have hope. If the worst is to happen and we lose her, it won't hurt any more or less depending on where my expectations were. It'll hurt all the same. That's just my two cents.

It's fine to have hope, but I don't think it's fine to present news in such a way that it provides false hope.

m0dus

Banned
I mean, it's not a negative update, but realistically "stable" doesn't mean much. It pretty much just means things aren't getting actively worse, and beyond that it's still unknown. So it's worth noting to people that this isn't some grand good news that means everything is all fine and well, because we still know next to nothing.

"Stable" condition actually can imply she's not on vasopressor support, it may mean her heart is beating without the assistance of something like an aortic balloon pump, etc. Assuming someone hasn't misspoken, that's actually good news.

It's not 'false hope'. It isn't a miraculous recovery, either.

It is a status update that reflects a positive step in every generally every clinical sense of the word, given the gravity of her situation and the fact that she may have been actively dying a day ago. From a medical standpoint, it is progress - even if, on the grand scheme of things, it's relatively small, it isn't insignificant in this scenario.

Beefy

"Stable" condition actually can imply she's not on vasopressor support, it may mean her heart is beating without the assistance of something like an aortic balloon pump, etc. Assuming someone hasn't misspoken, that's actually good news.

It's not 'false hope'. It isn't a miraculous recovery, either.

It is a status update that reflects a positive step in every generally every clinical sense of the word, given the gravity of her situation and the fact that she may have been actively dying a day ago. From a medical standpoint, it is progress - even if, on the grand scheme of things, it's relatively small, it isn't insignificant in this scenario.

Stable can also mean stable on the machines. It's too broad a word to get your hopes up. Now if they said stable with out assistance then that would be great.

SpaceWolf

Banned

C0eKyvnVEAQLqD9.jpg

Man, all the dialogue for the initial drafts of every Star Wars film is always so rough. The cast really worked their magic by getting most of their lines to work as well as they did.

Fisher certainly seems to have a good ear for it! Good changes!

C0eKyvnVEAQLqD9.jpg

Man, all the dialogue for the initial drafts of every Star Wars film is always so rough. The cast really worked their magic by getting most of their lines to work as well as they did.

It's one of the (many) reasons why the prequels are so bad, along with Lucas not being a good haracter director. He can write a good premise, but people are not his strong suit.

Her changes made that scene soooooo much better

I *think* she offered for Phantom Menace but Lucas turned her down. She may have taken a pass at it, though.

She worked on it. Lucas tried to get many people to work on TPM, including Kasdan. I believe Tom Stoppard worked on Sith. Jonathan Hale cowrote Clones, so I'm no sure anyone else helped with that.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
She worked on it. Lucas tried to get many people to work on TPM, including Kasdan. I believe Tom Stoppard worked on Sith. Jonathan Hale cowrote Clones, so I'm no sure anyone else helped with that.
Oh god, yeah, that's right. I remember thinking that ROTS would actually be a good film because of that.

The term "stable" is one of the most vague medical descriptors used by doctors. Ask 10 docs what "stable" means, get 10 different answers. Only the term "fever" has more variations. A person can be brain-dead and some docs will consider that person stable on a vent. Literally a dead person. So I don't put too much stock on that term.

The term "stable" is one of the most vague medical descriptors used by doctors. Ask 10 docs what "stable" means, get 10 different answers. Only the term "fever" has more variations. A person can be brain-dead and some docs will consider that person stable on a vent. Literally a dead person. So I don't put too much stock on that term.
As already said, at the very minimum it means "not getting actively worse". So there's that.

Downhome

I hope and pra for the best, but after hearing the details and then hearing she is "stable" I instantly assumed that she was now on a vent and they are giving it a few days before they allow her to pass, likely letting Christmas come and go before doing it.

I know that is super morbid, but it absolutely wouldn't be the first time "stable" was used in such a way. I've heard it with close family before. I hate that term without any other details.

Liamario

Banned
Bunch of negative shit in here..geezuz. Glad she's stable, but a vegetable, or coma or whatever you gloomy folks are into..😕

Negative? It's being realistic. Just because someone isn't being positive, it doesn't mean they're being negative. It's not black or white and 'stable' is a very vague term.

Cheebo

Banned
It's one of the (many) reasons why the prequels are so bad, along with Lucas not being a good haracter director. He can write a good premise, but people are not his strong suit.

Carrie Fisher did her script polish work on The Phantom Menace as well.

Tom Stoppard did script polishing on Revenge of the Sith.

m0dus

Banned
Stable can also mean stable on the machines. It's too broad a word to get your hopes up. Now if they said stable with out assistance then that would be great.

One thing at a time.

Additionally, a person on a ventilator is not inherently unstable.

If she is still on vasopressors, then the person delivering the update is wrong.

C0eKyvnVEAQLqD9.jpg

This is pretty awesome. Never knew she did this. She really does an impressive job cutting out fluff. She edits better than I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom