• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

To OLED, or not to OLED

What type of TV is your main TV?

• OLED

Votes: 411 71.0%
  • LCD

Votes: 108 18.7%
  • Something else

Votes: 39 6.7%
  • I don't own a TV, just a computer monitor

Votes: 21 3.6%

• Total voters

Ulysses 31

QD Oled hype train derailing real fast….
Higher brightness = faster OLED burn-in?

iu

yansolo

i was looking at the lg oled last christmas, after some research and speaking to a couple of friends that suffered burn in issues i cant justify the huge price for a tv that ill be constantly worried about in the back of my mind, regardless of how much of an improvement it is. I just bought a 75" TCL and have had zero complaints

buenoblue

OLED for sure. I have a Samsung Qd OLED and it looks great. Samsung also have game motion plus which smooths out 30fps games and gets rid of most of the judder while only adding like 20ms more input lag. Made ff16 look alot better in the 30fps mode. Plus hdr looks legit amazing on a Qd OLED.

It's either that or deal with them dim WOLEDs LG is pumping out.
Lol, the g3 is the brightest Oled and it’s brighter because of MLA. The underlying brightness hasn’t increased significantly but MLA significantly reduces light loss. Samsung might want to look into that asap. Looks like my AW3423DWF is beyond screwed… I guess that’s the punishment I get for knowingly buying Samsung garbage.

OLED for sure. I have a Samsung Qd OLED and it looks great. Samsung also have game motion plus which smooths out 30fps games and gets rid of most of the judder while only adding like 20ms more input lag. Made ff16 look alot better in the 30fps mode. Plus hdr looks legit amazing on a Qd OLED.
HDR looks legit on fald and mini led tvs.

Last edited:

Housh

I'm still rocking my 900h for movies and ps5. It does 120hz kinda but VRR with no dimming zones sucks. Most of my gaming is split between that, my pc, and soon oled steam deck so meh. I will eventually upgrade the TV when the current one breaks or have a reason to place it in another room. The 900h still looks fantastic colour wise.

Mister Wolf

Lol, the g3 is the brightest Oled and it’s brighter because of MLA. The underlying brightness hasn’t increased significantly but MLA significantly reduces light loss. Samsung might want to look into that asap. Looks like my AW3423DWF is beyond screwed… I guess that’s the punishment I get for knowingly buying Samsung garbage.

HDR looks legit on fald and mini led tvs.

Most of the people on this site don't have a G3. The LG OLEDs they try to talk up on here are the dim ones.

Last edited:

dotnotbot

QD Oled hype train derailing real fast….

Nothing to derail here, until WOLED solves its nasty white subpixel overshoot QD-OLED will remain superior even if it burns in faster:

woled-overshoot-jpg.3489931

Shot taken form this vid at 7:02-7:05:

It can be really bad in dark games since the faster the movement the more obvious gradient "breaking" becomes at the overshooting points. Every WOLED is affected btw, this is not a panel lottery thing. Panasonic looks worse because of subpar gradient handling in dark scenes.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Nothing to derail here, until WOLED solves its nasty white subpixel overshoot QD-OLED will remain superior even if it burns in faster:

It can be really bad in dark games since the faster the movement the more obvious gradient "breaking" becomes at the overshooting points. Every WOLED is affected btw, this is not a panel lottery thing. Panasonic looks worse because of subpar gradient handling in dark scenes.

I would have definitely went with qd oled if it wasn't for faster burn in. The picture quality s the best one available imo.

Cohetedor

I'm actually in the market for a new TV right now , trying to choose between mini-led or OLED. I have a family member who frequently pauses the TV then walks away when she gets a phone call, often for an hour or more at a time.

Would OLED still be a good idea? Or am I just asking for burn-in?

Sleepwalker

I went with a QD OLED, no burn in at the 18 month mark so far, super happy with it. Looks better than the A80j in my bedroom.

No point when your tv will burn in less than a year into ownership. The s95 b already had burn-in. Now Alienware had burn-in. Nah my dude, nobody is paying thousands of dollars to get burn in after less than a year. I was a sucker and bought into the hype. Got an Aw3423dw and it’s good but when I compare it to my 77 g3 I don’t think it’s better. It has worse contrast that’s very noticeable, in sdr the colors can be muted at times at low luminescence levels. It’s a good monitor but is it better than my g3, absolutely not.

On top of that, LG gives 5 year panel warranty with the G3. I can sleep easy, meanwhile Samsung garbage gets burn in less than a year into ownership. Talk about being a bag holder.

Meicyn

Gold Member

I’m on a Sony 950H but am ready for an upgrade to a 75 inch screen. I need brightness because I have three bigass south-facing door sized windows in my living room which lets tons of natural light in. If I go with an LG OLED, I won’t be able to see shit on the screen for the majority of the day which makes LG a nonstarter. If I go with a Sony or Samsung OLED, I will get decent brightness… but with the cost of constant screen retention issues and possible burn-in.

I owned a Panasonic plasma awhile back and it looked amazing at the time, but the screen retention was noticeable. I inevitably moved on to LED alongside the rest of the market. Was hoping OLED would have made better strides towards improvement after several years, but the ongoing solution to screen retention is to basically burn the life out of your TV faster to even the pixels out. I know if I buy an OLED that the picture quality will be incredible, but as soon as I start seeing faint traces of videogame HUDs, I’m going to be irritated… especially at the price points for Samsung/Sony OLED screens.

Eyeballing the Sony X93L mini LED. If it goes on a proper sale over this black friday period, I’ll buy one. If not, will wait for next year’s model since the X93L is the previous year’s X95K with no real changes. I’m not paying $2500 for what is essentially a 2022 model TV rebranded for 2023.

Mister Wolf

I’m on a Sony 950H but am ready for an upgrade to a 75 inch screen. I need brightness because I have three bigass south-facing door sized windows in my living room which lets tons of natural light in. If I go with an LG OLED, I won’t be able to see shit on the screen for the majority of the day which makes LG a nonstarter. If I go with a Sony or Samsung OLED, I will get decent brightness… but with the cost of constant screen retention issues and possible burn-in.

I owned a Panasonic plasma awhile back and it looked amazing at the time, but the screen retention was noticeable. I inevitably moved on to LED alongside the rest of the market. Was hoping OLED would have made better strides towards improvement after several years, but the ongoing solution to screen retention is to basically burn the life out of your TV faster to even the pixels out. I know if I buy an OLED that the picture quality will be incredible, but as soon as I start seeing faint traces of videogame HUDs, I’m going to be irritated… especially at the price points for Samsung/Sony OLED screens.

Eyeballing the Sony X93L mini LED. If it goes on a proper sale over this black friday period, I’ll buy one. If not, will wait for next year’s model since the X93L is the previous year’s X95K with no real changes. I’m not paying $2500 for what is essentially a 2022 model TV rebranded for 2023.

The X93L from Sony and the QN95C from Samsumg would be my two choices if I was buying a TV this year.

Gamezone

Gold Member
yeah I saw this.
Apparently still only LG knows what the fuck they are doing.
Anecdotal but 7k hours on my c1 and it's as brand new
Yeah, but LG have to release something that doesn't have a matte screen. It looks awful after using QD-OLED.

Mister Wolf

I think the tcl neo qleds are really great as well especially for their pricing.

There is a debate between them and Hisense for mid range LCD. Apparently the TCLs have poor upscaling according to Rtings and other reviewers. I would probably choose the Hisense U8K over the TCL QM8.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yeah, but LG have to release something that doesn't have a matte screen. It looks awful after using QD-OLED.
I didn’t even knew lg have matte screens. All their tvs are glossy. And they have amazing glossy chemical coating which dims the reflections a bit.

outsida

I recently bought the MSI Meg 342c QD Oled Ultrawide. I can't see myself going back. This is primarily a gaming monitor. The device constantly nags you about the pixel refresh after about 4 hours of usage. I just run either the short cycle (about 15 minutes) or the long (up to an hour) when I'm done for the night as it shuts the screen off while its working and then turns off completely once done. I run a wallpaper engine playlist on my desktop with animated wallpapers and hide the icons. I also have windows set to run wallpaper engine as a screensaver after a few minutes. No worries and so far no regrets.

dotnotbot

No point when your tv will burn in less than a year into ownership. The s95 b already had burn-in. Now Alienware had burn-in. Nah my dude, nobody is paying thousands of dollars to get burn in after less than a year. I was a sucker and bought into the hype. Got an Aw3423dw and it’s good but when I compare it to my 77 g3 I don’t think it’s better. It has worse contrast that’s very noticeable, in sdr the colors can be muted at times at low luminescence levels. It’s a good monitor but is it better than my g3, absolutely not.

On top of that, LG gives 5 year panel warranty with the G3. I can sleep easy, meanwhile Samsung garbage gets burn in less than a year into ownership. Talk about being a bag holder.

It still takes thousands of hours for static elements to be burned in. With variable content still not a problem.

Muted colors at lower brightness levels were fixed by Samsung on newest TVs S95C and I think maybe S90C as well. It's still not fixed on Sony A95K though so it seems like it requires some kind of fix applied by manufacturer either in software or during panel calibration.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I bought one of the first lg oleds they made and I wasn’t very impressed with the muted brightness and color banding for dark colors. Then I got burn in from my family leaving it on 24/7 for 5 months.

But I just bought a new lg oled pc monitor so this is my second chance to see how they have improved. If it’s a big improvement I will replace all my TVs with oled if not I will probably go mini led in the future.

dotnotbot

I bought one of the first lg oleds they made and I wasn’t very impressed with the muted brightness and color banding for dark colors. Then I got burn in from my family leaving it on 24/7 for 5 months.

But I just bought a new lg oled pc monitor so this is my second chance to see how they have improved. If it’s a big improvement I will replace all my TVs with oled if not I will probably go mini led in the future.

Gradient handling in dark scenes is finally decent from C2/G2 onwards. Still behind Sony but not a huge gap anymore.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I don't understand why people go for Samsung when they don't have Dolby vision , yes hdr10 and DV maybe comparable but spending so much on a TV which doesn't support DV is insanity.

Because dolby vision means nothing to me? Got HDR 10+ on my phones/screens looks great not missing out on anything at all. Zero content I'm interested in is DV only anyway.

Last edited:

Fabieter

I don't understand why people go for Samsung when they don't have Dolby vision , yes hdr10 and DV maybe comparable but spending so much on a TV which doesn't support DV is insanity.

Well yea is it because samsung is to cheap for the licensing price?

Sleepwalker

I just don't care for DV and got a really good price.

To my eyes the samsung QD OLED looks better than my calibrated A80J with DV.

Also I use the tv mostly for gaming :p.

My next TV will 100% be a sony qd oled.

I have an LG E8 OLED from 2018 that I'm still using as my current TV.

I've played games on it nearly every night and have no burn in so far.

There are two options that I recommend turning on. Pixel shifting and local dimming.

Pixel shifting is unnoticeable if you're wondering. I'm fairly critical of artifacts that come from features such as motion smoothing. I've turned all of those options off but never noticed the pixel shifting doing anything negative.

And local dimming only dims the screen if you don't change the image after a few minutes or so. Once I wiggle my PS5 controller the full brightness comes back.

I'm actually in the market for a new TV right now , trying to choose between mini-led or OLED. I have a family member who frequently pauses the TV then walks away when she gets a phone call, often for an hour or more at a time.

Would OLED still be a good idea? Or am I just asking for burn-in?
That's something to definitely consider, however I've left my LG E8 OLED on the same screen for hours at a time, usually falling asleep or walking away and I still haven't noticed any burn in.

I have pixel shifting and local dimming turned on so that may help it.

That's why I bought a Philips (also applies to Panasonic) Has support for both DV & HDR 10+ so I don't have to try and convince myself & others that the one my TV doesn't support is useless :messenger_grinning_sweat:

mitchman

Gold Member
I'm getting my Samsung S95C 65" tomorrow. Was originally in the market for a G3, but they never dropped in price here so S95C it is. Not having DV is a mild annoyance (it also doesn't passthrough DTS HD), but it should be fine. I love LG's long term support and quality, but price made the difference here.

graywolf323

I'm getting my Samsung S95C 65" tomorrow. Was originally in the market for a G3, but they never dropped in price here so S95C it is. Not having DV is a mild annoyance (it also doesn't passthrough DTS HD), but it should be fine. I love LG's long term support and quality, but price made the difference here.
I got a S95B last year and I love it, admittedly I’ve never had a TV with DV so I guess I don’t know what I’m missing there, on the plus side that let me get a more affordable UHD BR player that supports HDR10+ but not DV

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Launched up the remake on ps5... christ... this fkn game I swear. Some of best HDR there is
8IpayD5.jpg

0MGeuz4.jpg

In comparison: her are these two after moving FROM ps5 to pc. I save ps5 screnshots as HDR but after you copy, it converts to normal sdr. Like a day and night
bHjHUOo.jpg

fYV4ljY.jpg

Top Bottom