• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Today is the 80th anniversary of the death of 'Lawrence of Arabia'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
geeyBIP.jpg

Who was he?

• British scholar, writer and soldier who mobilised the Arab Revolt in WW1
  • A trained archaeologist with deep sympathies for the Arab people, Lawrence became an adviser to the Arabs and led small but effective irregular force against Turkey, attacking communication and supply routes
  • Sensationalised accounts of Lawrence's war exploits made him famous, but he spent the rest of his life trying to escape his own celebrity
  • His memoir, Seven Pillars of Wisdom, formed the basis of David Lean's 1962 film Lawrence of Arabia, starring Peter O'Toole
An article on his death
When TE Lawrence - immortalised as Lawrence of Arabia - died 80 years ago he could not have known that the accident which took his life, and the surgeon who tried to save him, would eventually help to save thousands of others.

It was pouring with rain on the morning of Sunday 19 May 1935 when TE Lawrence died.

The man made famous by his Great War exploits in the Middle East finally succumbed to the head injuries he had suffered six days earlier in a motorcycle accident.
"In Lawrence we have lost one of the greatest beings of our time," said his friend Winston Churchill. "I had hoped to see him quit his retirement and take a commanding part in facing the dangers which now threaten the country."
It was not to be. At the age of 46, Lawrence of Arabia was dead.
Mourning was international. The New York Times called it a "tragic waste" and speculated that the accident which brought his death had been "unwarranted and perhaps avoidable".

Lawrence had been pitched over his motorcycle, a Brough Superior SS100, near his Dorset home. A dip in the road apparently obscured his view of two boys on cycles ahead. The manoeuvring to avoid them cost him his own life.
The machine on which Lawrence suffered his fatal crash was guaranteed to be capable of more than 100mph, though there is no firm evidence that he was speeding recklessly when he came off it.

Lawrence had nicknamed it "Boa" or "Boanerges" which means "Son of Thunder" in Aramaic, and recorded his love of speed on previous rides.
"Boa and I took the Newark road for the last hour of daylight. He ambles at forty-five and when roaring his utmost, surpasses the hundred. A skittish motor-bike with a touch of blood in it is better than all the riding animals on earth," he wrote.

Whether Lawrence was riding safely in the run-up to the accident is unclear. "It's difficult to know exactly what the road would have been like in 1935 because it has changed so much, but the evidence is it was purely an accident," says Philip Neale, chairman of the TE Lawrence Society.

"He lost control and went over the handlebars. The Broughs didn't have fantastic brakes. The roads were very different in those days. Even the road in Dorset would have allowed some speed because traffic was light."
There was no mention in his obituaries that Lawrence had been without a crash helmet. In 1935 riders were typically bare-headed. Lawrence's death was to help change that - eventually.

One of the medics who attended Lawrence was a young doctor called Hugh Cairns, one of Britain's very first neurosurgeons.

His post-mortem examination established that Lawrence had suffered "severe lacerations and damage to the brain" when his unprotected head struck the ground. Had he survived, brain damage would probably have left him blind and unable to speak.
The loss of Lawrence was not forgotten by Cairns.
Continued here

Recommended reading

• The Seven Pillars of Wisdom by T.E Lawrence
  • Crusader Castles by T.E Lawrence
  • The Odyssey of Homer: Translated by TE Lawrence
  • The Letters of T.E Lawrence
  • Hero: The Life & Legend of Lawrence of Arabia by Michael Korda
  • Lawrence in Arabia: War, Deceit, Imperial Folly and the Making of the Modern Middle East by Scott Anderson
  • Setting the Desert on Fire: T.E. Lawrence and Britain's Secret War in Arabia, 1916-18 by James Barr
  • Lawrence of Arabia: The Authorized Biography of T. E. Lawrence by Jeremy Wilson
  • Young Lawrence: A Portrait of the Legend as a Young Man by Anthony Sattin

On T.E. Lawrence and the Hejaz railway - An archive article
This article was originally published on February 3, 1991. We reproduce it here to mark the 80th anniversary of T.E. Lawrence's death.

The Bedouin tribesmen could not understand what all the fuss was about. For them, the narrow-gauge railway that cut through the village was nothing but an inconvenience. The fact that the tracks snaking through the desert are all that remain of one of the world’s most exotic railways has no significance for them.
The Hejaz railway from Damascus to Medina once served as a vital route across the desert and was a principal target for the Arabs and Lawrence of Arabia in the revolt against Turkish domination. No sooner had I made my way to the track than I was confronted by a Bedouin tribesman brandishing what looked suspiciously like a First World War service pistol. "Mamnour, mamnour," he shouted. The railway, it appeared, was forbidden, and judging by the way the other tribesmen nodded in agreement, there did not seem much point in arguing. As I was led away, I was relieved to count six brightly polished bullets still lodged in his holster.

The police station was new, but as we approached it I could see it was deserted. I was led instead to an outhouse with smoke pouring from the roof. On the floor lay a heap of carpets and cushions and in the corner, sucking extravagantly on a hookah, sat an elderly man dressed in a black cloak and displaying an impressive set of gold teeth.

I was invited to sit among the cushions, and almost immediately a servant appeared and poured me a cup of sweet tea. Nothing much happened for the next few minutes, except that more tea was poured and more tribesmen wandered in. Finally the interrogation began. Who was I? Where was I from? What was I doing? Where was my permission? Each question was asked with a smile and the offer of more tea. I explained as best I could that I was a journalist who had taken advantage of a rare opportunity to see the railway line made famous by Lawrence of Arabia. "Railway?" demanded my inquisitor. "What railway?" I pointed to the scene of my arrest. "No train. Train finish," my interrogator helpfully added.
Continued here

The films

8MTcBZM.jpg

reUr9tR.jpg

Grym

One of my favorite quotes comes from him. But to be honest, I am not knowledgeable of its context other than being from Lawrence. (I should probably read Seven Pillars)

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible."
--T.E. Lawrence

I need to read more of the real world history. I actually finally saw lawrence of arabia for the first time only a couple of years ago. That movie is so god damn amazing even applying modern film making standards it blew me away

Edmond Dantès;164472648 said:
It is a made for TV film, but it's actually pretty good. Of course Ralph Fiennes is the stand out actor and the film is worth watching for his depiction of Lawrence alone.

I'll track it down and watch it some time. I'd never even heard of it before.

TheXbox

I need to go back and read Seven Pillars. I remember attempting it when I was young, but the density of it sort of put me off. If nothing else I'd like to compare it with the film, which I understand has quite a few inaccuracies/exaggerations. Hollywood stuff, I guess. (still the best movie ever made)

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
One of my favorite quotes comes from him. But to be honest, I am not knowledgeable of its context other than being from Lawrence.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible."
--T.E. Lawrence
It's from the introductory chapter of his book, The Seven Pillars of Wisdom, and is a lament rather than something said in triumph.

WedgeX

Banned
I have friends who are doing their doctorates in Arabic studies and they hate him. I find him fascinating but it makes it hard to read his book.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I have friends who are doing their doctorates in Arabic studies and they hate him. I find him fascinating but it makes it hard to read his book.
A controversial figure certainly and many do believe that his actions during the Revolt were contemptible.

TheXbox

Why do they hate him? My only frame of reference is the movie, which doesn't portray him in a particularly glowing light, but I have no idea how accurate any of that stuff is.

EMT0

Banned

I mean...the modern Middle East can be directly attributed to his actions in the name of the British Empire. So I can understand exactly why that'd be the case and I'm inclined to agree. Replacing a Western-leaning centralized yet weak rule with local and tribal leaders doesn't exactly sound amazing in hindsight.

Lawrence of Arabia is one of my favorite movies, though I don't know much about TE Lawrence outside of his war exploits as a subject of the British crown.

I don't really see why anybody would hate Lawrence anymore than any Brit, Franc, or what have you, from World War I, also given that Lawrence was effectively banned by the British from having any influence over the remaking of the Middle East after the Ottoman empire lost and collapsed. It's also important to remember that it's not like the Ottoman Turks were good guys given that they were also in the midst of committing one of the most atrocious acts of genocide the world has ever known.

I mean...the modern Middle East can be directly attributed to his actions in the name of the British Empire. So I can understand exactly why that'd be the case and I'm inclined to agree. Replacing a Western-leaning centralized yet weak rule with local and tribal leaders doesn't exactly sound amazing in hindsight.

I don't know if it's fair to lay the broken parts of the Middle East on the back of TE Lawrence, who was nothing more than a Junior Officer fighting for Britain during World War I, and then as he ascended the ranks in the British military became one of the only pro-Arab voices in post-war Europe -- silenced by the British and French despite his success. The Ottoman Empire would have collapsed eventually regardless of Lawrence, and had it's collapse been any different, I'm unsure if the modern political, religious, and social issues in the Middle East would be appreciably better or worse.

The power struggle for control of the Ottoman Empire by France, Germany, Prussia, the UK, and other actors in Europe, preceded TE Lawrence's exploits by decades. The Middle East had already been carved up in theory before Lawrence was capable of making an impact on the 'battlefield.'

Grym

Edmond Dantès;164473425 said:
It's from the introductory chapter of his book, The Seven Pillars of Wisdom, and is a lament rather than something said in triumph.

I'm happy to have better clarification on it. When I initially stumbled upon the quote, I did interpret it as something said in triumph. But I've always had a suspicion that that would not end up being the context. I actually own a copy of Seven Pillars of Wisdom but my backlog of books is enormous and I've just never gotten around to it.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I need to go back and read Seven Pillars. I remember attempting it when I was young, but the density of it sort of put me off. If nothing else I'd like to compare it with the film, which I understand has quite a few inaccuracies/exaggerations. Hollywood stuff, I guess. (still the best movie ever made)
It's certainly quite dry in places, but it is worth it in the end.

Why do they hate him? My only frame of reference is the movie, which doesn't portray him in a particularly glowing light, but I have no idea how accurate any of that stuff is.
The film is indeed a masterpiece of filmmaking, but a wholly inaccurate portrayal of what actually happened during that period of Lawrence's life.

The following is a good starting point article:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/true-story-lawrence-arabia-180951857/

Cat Party

I have no idea how you reached this conclusion. Lawrence never supported the post war plan and tried to thwart it at all opportunities, even committing treason in the process. Had he been listened to, the Middle East would be very different today. He fought for a free and unified Arab state.

Tizoc

Sorry for the bump but I couldn't find any a recent thread about the movie ^^;

Basically I'm getting a new 60" HDTV soon and I'll be having the family over. My dad likes historical stuff and it's gonna be great to watch the 60s movie on Bluray on a good quality HDTV.

I've seen the movie before, and I liked many of the elements in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom