• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Todd Howard confirms Amazon Prime Fallout is canon and takes place after New Vegas

Draugoth

Gold Member
1713369365423069.png

Via IGN:

According to Howard, showrunners Graham Wagner and Geneva Robertson-Dworet came to him with the idea to blow up Shady Sands, something Howard says shocked him at first. But the event would serve as a catalyst for the main characters of the Fallout show and the showrunners worked with Howard and the Bethesda team to ensure it remained consistent with the games.

“And we talked through it and it was, ‘This would be a pretty impactful story moment that a lot of things anchor on,"' Howard says. But for anyone confused about how the city could be blown up by the time the show takes place, Howard explains all the details of the timeline should line up.

“We’re careful about the timeline,” he says. “There might be a little bit of confusion in some places. But everything that happened in the previous games, including New Vegas, happened. We’re very careful about that.”

“All I can say is we’re threading it tighter there, but the bombs fall just after the events of New Vegas.”

Can I watch this series for free without sailing the high seas?
I don't want to have to subscribe to prime. I can suffer through some commercials if need be.

“All I can say is we’re threading it tighter there, but the bombs fall just after the events of New Vegas.”
Like anyone with a brain could deduce, "the fall" is a historical, after the fact label to something that leads to the bombing post 2281 new vegas; there was never a contradiction, but leave it to the unhinged NV nerds to throw a hissy fit about nothing.

Like anyone with a brain could deduce, "the fall" is a historical, after the fact label to something that leads to the bombing post 2281 new vegas; there was never a contradiction, but leave it to the unhinged NV nerds to throw a hissy fit about nothing.
It's just funny how the show literally ends with Obsidian's New Vegas in the background. If Bethesda was gonna wipe out Obsidian's game, it would be fairly easy to not even mention in the show

Plus, I don't even think Todd Howard and Bethesda have much input on the actual story lines of the show. They reportedly nixed one idea because it was awfully close to the plot of Fallout 5, but outside that, I doubt their contribution is all that much. And Fallout isn't even a Todd Howard created World, as Bethesda has only made Fallout 3 and 4 in the series. 90% of the lore in the show was created before Bethesda ever acquired the rights to Fallout

I mean they’d have as much input as they desire since they own the IP and also helped produce the show.
What capacity are they producing though? Naughty Dog allegedly helped produce the "Uncharted" movie, but I'm pretty sure that was just tagged on for shits and giggles

Regardless, I truly believe that if Todd Howard and Bethesda had major contributions to the show, Todd Howard would be singing it from the rooftop. Just like he did with Machine games in the Indiana Jones trailer/development direct. The dude has a massive ego. I highly doubt he did anything at the script level like Druckmann for TLOU. More than likely they just sold the rights to Amazon and asked to be kept in the loop in advisory capacity

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
Haven't watched the series yet; if New Vegas is canon, do they reference which ending?

Last edited:

killatopak

It's just funny how the show literally ends with Obsidian's New Vegas in the background. If Bethesda was gonna wipe out Obsidian's game, it would be fairly easy to not even mention in the show

Plus, I don't even think Todd Howard and Bethesda have much input on the actual story lines of the show. They reportedly nixed one idea because it was awfully close to the plot of Fallout 5, but outside that, I doubt their contribution is all that much. And Fallout isn't even a Todd Howard created World, as Bethesda has only made Fallout 3 and 4 in the series. 90% of the lore in the show was created before Bethesda ever acquired the rights to Fallout
They actually asked Todd if it was okay to destroy the NCR. They got the greenlight.

kiphalfton

Of course he is going to say it's canon, given the show's success.

Don't have to be Nostradamus to have foreseen that.

Ozzie666

I really didn't think about it too much watcing the show. I thought it fairly decent and respectful overall. Goggins was pure gold and as expected stole the show. Just go with the flow and enjoy it.
Such a breath of fresh air after Halo season 1, Season 2 was a bit better.

For the life of me, I can't understand why they didn't have a new release to go with the show.

Toots

Gold Member
I wish i was extremely rich and could buy the right to Marvel comics or any beloved franchise.
I'll do it, insert my OC, completely shit on the legacy and say it's canon so get used to it.
Todd Howard has been bullied too much in high school (i bet even by his chess club teammates), or he wasn't bullied enough, either way we're paying the price now.

SaucyJack

What capacity are they producing though? Naughty Dog allegedly helped produce the "Uncharted" movie, but I'm pretty sure that was just tagged on for shits and giggles

Regardless, I truly believe that if Todd Howard and Bethesda had major contributions to the show, Todd Howard would be singing it from the rooftop. Just like he did with Machine games in the Indiana Jones trailer/development direct. The dude has a massive ego. I highly doubt he did anything at the script level like Druckmann for TLOU. More than likely they just sold the rights to Amazon and asked to be kept in the loop in advisory capacity

Wasn’t the Uncharted movie, more or less, a Hollywoodised Uncharted 4?

Top Bottom