• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Todd Howard to be inducted into AIAS Hall of Fame

Venfayth

This is another one of those threads that really displays the dissonance of people who are truly disconnected from gaming outside of GAF and other hardcore gaming communities.

ReaperXL7

Well deserved in my opinion, there are no other games out there that do what Bethesdas games do for me in a large variety of ways. There are definitely aspects that could always be improved hence why modders exsist, but new Elder Scrolls releases are genuine events for me and have been for a long time.

Slythe

Bethesda RPGs have never quite clicked with me, but only a crazy person would deny this is very well deserved. Happy for Todd

If you want to argue his more recent work isn't good it's very easy to do so using actual facts and explanations. Cherry picked memes (or whatever you wanna call them) like that just make you look like a troll. Not to mention look at his previous work and it's undoubtedly amazing.

I didn't make any statement on the quality of games he's produced, past or present, just always thought the juxtaposition of attitudes towards games has been funny.

Also I don't know about cherry picked, I haven't looked into his thoughts on games intimitely but every time he shows up at E3 or any other game show I recall him usually talking about being the cool badass who kills all the evil people or something to that affect.

Vaga

1096.gif

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
After what he did to the Fallout franchise and the continued water down of RPG mechanics after Morrowind I would say he doesn't deserve it but I'm not going discount previous success based on his recent failures so if someone feels like he deserves an award than so be it but I wouldn't give it to him.

This sentiment also applies to the BABFTA award Fallout 4 got in April...I would have given that award to The Witcher 3.

Banned
Todd "It just works" Howard
Todd "Infinite quests" Howard
Todd "Radiant A.I." Howard
Doesn't matter because GAF is a vocal minority and the majority love his games.

Most probably think the bugs are funny or intentional and can't tell framerates above 30fps.

Congrats and well deserved!

I don't think I can even count the hours I've put into games he made, most of them were pure joy. There are no other games that allow player freedom and world exploration like BGS allows. That's what keep bringing me back into amazing worlds like Tamriel and the Wastelands.

Can't wait for what else he has in stock for us.

CloudWolf

If we're purely lookin at relevance and impact, he certainly deserves it. I mean, it takes skill to rerelease a mediocre game like Skyrim (twice, if we count the Switch release next year) and still make people be really excited over it.

Jonnax

Imho the man is a hack. Worse than Peter Moleneux ever was. Yet gets all this praise.

The man lies to sell his game. Maybe not tot he extent if Sean Murray. But still lies.

spekkeh

Banned
While I wouldn't want to deny Howard his dues, 22 hall of fame laureates in 18 years is starting to get increasingly masturbatory. They started from true greats like Miyamoto and now just seem to slowly include all the heads of the major studios. A hall of fame pick should really happen only once every five years, not multiple per year. It's just totally meaningless now.

eizarus

Banned
Not the best choice IMO. His studio makes very fun games, but releases them with a huge amount of bugs. The quality control isn't exactly something to praise considering how many fix mods there are for each game.

In terms of game world and player interaction, I can't fault it.

Kojima outdoes Howard in the reasons by AIAS.

If we're purely lookin at relevance and impact, he certainly deserves it. I mean, it takes skill to rerelease a mediocre game like Skyrim (twice, if we count the Switch release next year) and still make people be really excited over it.
When there are people who think like this
Well deserved. One of the best to ever grace the industry.

Visionary.

It's obvious there is something wrong. There are far better options to pick, and they chose the worst.

Humdinger

lol^

Good! I've always liked him personally, and I've spent probably a total of 1000 hours in his games.

I don't like his work nowadays but the man was still in charge of Morrowind and that counts for something.

I didn't realize he was in charge of Morrowind. I thought that was someone else, and he took over with Oblivion. If he ran Morrowind, too, that's impressive. Probably my favorite gaming experience of all time.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
When there are people who think like this

It's obvious there is something wrong. There are far better options to pick, and they chose the worst.

Or, it's obvious they are doing something right when they pick someone as qualified, influential, and creative as this.

While I wouldn't want to deny Howard his dues, 22 hall of fame laureates in 18 years is starting to get increasingly masturbatory. They started from true greats like Miyamoto and now just seem to slowly include all the heads of the major studios. A hall of fame pick should really happen only once every five years, not multiple per year. It's just totally meaningless now.

This.

Top Bottom