• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Todd Papy (GoW: Ascension Director) Joins Crytek, directing unannounced game

Fezan

Ascension > GoW III
There, i said it!

Lol no. GOW3>GOW:A>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> RYSE.

Still he was design director on GOW3 and director of GOW:A so pretty good snatch by crytek

Well, looks like Crytek have moved away from bringing cutting edge gameplay and fantastic AI to the PC platform.

This makes me sad.

Crysis one was really great and so was farcry but there was nothing cutting edge about the gameplay or AI. Crysis AI i would consider it bad

multiplayer is amazing in Ascension, nothing else quite like it. He could do great things.

is Crytek tied to MS now or was that just for one game?

Hindle

Banned
It's likely the Ryse sequel, hopefully Crytek will learn how to design a half decent battle system now. :D

multiplayer is amazing in Ascension, nothing else quite like it. He could do great things.

I think crytek probably fucked multi up they could be doing pvp instead of coop.
And ride that Spartacus train to victory but they also said there is an second multiplayer mode coming maybe he is working on that.

Nintyb

Banned
Really hope it's a Ryse sequel. I've enjoyed playing Son of Rome tremendously despite the somewhat lacking combat system. It's a lot better game than the critics would have you believe. A sequel that's not rushed out could be delicious.

We don't know what the contract was between MS and Crytek, but I suspect there's a publishing deal in place for more than one game.

Lol no. GOW3>GOW:A>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> RYSE.

Still he was design director on GOW3 and director of GOW:A so pretty good snatch by crytek

Crysis one was really great and so was farcry but there was nothing cutting edge about the gameplay or AI. Crysis AI i would consider it bad

You make it sound like Ryse is the biggest piece of shit ever produced when in reality the story was much better than Ascension. I have played and beaten both. The only negative is the repetitive gameplay in Ryse.

Despite Ryse putting up mediocre sales(I'm assuming) it's definitely got to be a sequel with Pappy being added to the fold. They went after the wrong GOW director though if they want to make a great game

dr_rus

Wow it took about 10 years for Yerli to figure out that the gameplay is the main problem of all Crytek games. Maybe their games won't suck now. It would certainly be interesting to get a game with Crytek's graphics AND good gameplay.

This is only good news for a potential Ryse 2. I disliked Ascension compared to other GoWs but it was a fun to play

Please don't direct Crysis 4, that series needs to end...

Corto

A logical outcome for him. I was hoping for Creative Assembly but Crytek and a Ryse sequel is really the most expected place and game for someone with his experience.

Because the current gameplay is so good and unique? Being a bad god of war clone would be a tremendous improvement for that IP.

Why does gameplay always have to be "unique"? Plenty of games are great with gameplay thats similar to others. Not that i've played many games that are like Ryse specifically, I enjoy the gameplay a lot in the single player and co-op for what its worth, put more time in to Ryse than any other game on my Xbox One. I think its a great game. Some people disagree, thats up to them, I can only offer my own opinion.

Another opinion I have is that I don't personally particularly enjoy God of War games - I can see why people like them, but I also don't enjoy DMC, Ninja Gaiden or anything others of that type of game. Theres very little of God of War about Ryse from what I can see (finished GOW 3 and Chains of Olympus for what its worth) and based on what i've said I don't see whats wrong with not wanting it to be like that.

I obviously hurt your feelings though, so for that I will apologise.

Vio-Lence

Banned
Wow it took about 10 years for Yerli to figure out that the gameplay is the main problem of all Crytek games. Maybe their games won't suck now. It would certainly be interesting to get a game with Crytek's graphics AND good gameplay.

The first Crysis is the best FPS in the last decade.

I was hoping that Ryse would rather get a director from a Rocksteady Batman game since it's very similar in ways. Ryse needs more enemy variety, more weapons, a little bit of stealth and some more platforming to break up the monotony. More executions are definately welcome.

I was hoping that Ryse would rather get a director from a Rocksteady Batman game since it's very similar in ways. Ryse needs more enemy variety, more weapons, a little bit of stealth and some more platforming to break up the monotony. More executions are definately welcome.

I don't think stealth would really work.

Also you can buy more executions using gold you've won in multiplayer or Valor from your single player, theres actually rather a lot of them.

T.O.P

Banned
Ryse is surprisingly good, has flows but i'm enjoying the experience a lot

Would like to see where this collaboration go (if it's for a Ryse sequel anyway)

Spoo

Good. They need less graphics programmers, and more game designers / creatives. This is a really, really good sign for the company.

Dysun

Ascension streamlined some of the tedious stuff from the previous GoW titles (Chests, Doors, Weapons/Magic/Items) but it lacked the scale of 3. Everything felt muted being a prologue, this can only be good if he is going to work on Ryse 2.

harSon

Banned
I'm hoping for a Assassins Creed to Assassins Creed 2 jump with the Ryse sequel. It seems like a franchise that would benefit from a sequel and proper development cycle.

Ascension was a much weaker game than GoW3, but interested to see what they have got going next. Despite how mediocre its critical acclaim was, they have probably developed a lot of assets for Ryse that they could channel into a sequel. Doubt MS will want to publish a sequel though...

Neuro

Ascension > GoW III
There, i said it!

GOW II was the high point in the series, GOW III was a HD version of the first two. It was unevenly balanced across, there were high points in the game and then there was rock bottom.

Ascension was more of the same, I dont know where the series is headed honestly, Santa Monica hosts some very talented people I think they should turn towards as at a new IP.

Top Bottom