• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Dark Souls (Fan art) Would you play this?

Taruranto

I would play this:

q6Uji7G.png

test_account

XP-39C²
I would definitelly play it, but i'm not sure if it would feel the same without being in a dark era setting, like medieval or victorian times.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Then you need a good explanation why almost every weapon is not a gun/ projectile weapon if you want to keep the melee focus.

You'd could do post apocalyptic like Let It Die or do enemies that that have energy shields that absorb bullets. There are easy ways around it.

E: Also, you don't have to completely do melee focus - the beauty of a modern or futuristic setting is that you COULD incorporate ranged stuff in a way that makes sense to the setting.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Yes. Yes I would. I'd need less dumb weapons though. I don't care how it makes no sense, I demand swords and shields.

SMT x Dark Souls - Atlus & FROM get to it!

Stop. Don't make me want things that will never happen

E-flux

Then you would need a good explanation why almost every weapon is not a gun/ projectile weapon if you want to keep the melee focus.

There are plenty of countries with very strict gun control where not many people own guns. Like in Japan, there's estimated that to out of 200 people only one will own a gun. So if you'd set a game in a place like that it would be totally believable that not a lot of guns were going around.

Mandoric

Banned
Then you would need a good explanation why almost every weapon is not a gun/ projectile weapon if you want to keep the melee focus.

That's the appeal of downtown Tokyo as a setting. There's not NO guns, but from a practical sense they're quite rare and ammunition is rarer, and from an aesthetic sense users will be more accepting of silly melee-only choices since they've been an established thing throughout postwar Japanese media.

Both artists went with a very Dead Rising, "raid the home center" feel to loadouts, and hammers and crowbars and fire extinguishers would probably serve the game well for quite a while.

Hmm well would I play this? No, I would not just "play" it, I would buy the limited edition, some extra copies for my Dark Souls playing friends and then play this to completion :D Seriously I love the design-concept and idea, if anything I would find it perfect if it would be less pastel but that's a small gripe.

That is if it doesn't revolve around zombies though. I can handle skeletons, demons, possessed beings, ghouls, werebeasts and whatever but leave me alone with zombies :/

Atlas157

I think a Shin Megami Tensei x Dark Souls would be cool too. Imagine exploring a ruined Tokyo like Nocturne or IV and fighting SMT demons with Dark Souls combat.

Santiako

I would play it because I'll play anything by the souls team, but it's not a setting I love for that kind of game.

CHC

Not into it at all. Seems very direct and fan-servicey, like other studios' takes on the Souls format.

The From games are great because they have the elusive, dreamlike quality to them. Just taking place in a real world setting with some random monsters here and there is so dull in comparison.

The dark souls formula made me warm up to medieval high fantasy aesthetics (not that it's a rote take on that style, but it's still something I don't care for overall), so of course.

Just about any setting would be fine by me with that gameplay, so long as it's well made.

Saw this on twitter, so will reflect my thoughts from there here: I think this would actually fit really well with the Dark Souls formula and several of its underlying themes.

Confronting the latter first, the idea of being a meek human before whatever hellish monsters FROM might cook up would be especially emphasized if you are literally an average person. Imagine picking starting classes with stats and 'skills' that are largely irrelevant to the game - salary man, shop keeper, commuter - because almost none of it matters before the apparent end of the world. Remaining vulnerable to damage because body armour simply is not common in modern, urban life, nor can you simply 'level up' some essence of your being to make bare flesh deflect steel.

In terms of the actual formula, well there's the potential ways of playing with the elements that make some vague sense in a created fantasy world where you're not even properly human, and much less sense in a nominally mundane setting. Then there's the fact that Tokyo's dense, sprawling, and at times quite vertical architecture would lend itself to a quite varied but interconnected level design not unlike the original Dark Soul. Want your 'dungeons' like the depths? Tokyo subway (which could also double as a fast travel system). Desire an ascension like how you went up the undead burg to Anor Londo? Start in the subway, get onto the streets of tokyo, and then fight your way to some high rise apartment or office building. Alleyways, backdoors, bridges, roadblocks - all of these and more could be used to enable the Metroidvania-esque shortcuts that helped make Dark Souls' level design so memorable.

As mentioned, on the weapons front you could do something similar to Dead Rising where a lot of mundane objects have to be used creatively, as Japan doesn't have widespread weapon usage. Finding a policeman's sidearm or someone's antique katana would be massive moments in that context, while realising someone else has a gun becomes a 'holy shit' moment as one has to run for cover.

It's got potential, and now I want this game.

HeatBoost

As long as I get a better weapon than a crowbar or a claw hammer, and don't actually have to fight a tank, yes

I don't know what it is, but I hate fighting tanks in games. Probably a few too many plodding, dull boss battles in Peace Walker.

Use the same reasoning as in Metal Gear Rising; a cyborg can swing a sword with more force than a gun firing a projectile.

I'm all for doing something in a more modern setting.

The only thing I might fear would be stifling creativity for the sake of making it fit into the modern world. The fantastical and "larger than life" settings of Dark Souls and Bloodborne is important to the overall aesthetic.

Kyuur

Damn, that is a lot more high quality art than I was expecting coming into the thread. Probably the most complete fantasy game pitch I've ever seen. Looks amazing.

Top Bottom