• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Xanadu (Falcom) coming in 2015

DMiz

Looks interesting - though it seems like Falcom is now chasing that SMT money, ha ha.

Jokes aside, can't wait!

crinale

"More"?
All.

Very big chance its PS4/Vita like YS.

While Famitsu often covers mobile games, Dengeki PlayStation only covers PlayStstion games.

Fair enough. I just don't want to be disappointed so I'm playing safe.
Actually Dengeki Playstation Magazine once teased Star Ocean 4 (timed exclusive to Xbox360) but I think we could at least say this time this is for dedicated gaming device.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
If Ys is Falcom's first PS4 game, and Xanadu is releasing first, and it's going to appear in Dengeki Playstation, I guess we can assume it's a Vita game.

Also, I'd guess that scan would count as an ad page (which is allowed) and not an article (which isn't). I don't know all the details about the scan rule so I might be wrong though.

Bad news for people wanting a PS4 game:

The full scan also pictures the new Ys game for PlayStation 4 and PS Vita. It’s worth noting that the scan calls Ys Falcom’s first PlayStation 4 title. However, being that Tokyo Xanadu is due out as Falcom’s “first title of fiscal 2015,” it might be that Tokyo Xanadu is not a PlayStation 4 game, as some might have expected.

No source because scans.

Edit: beaten

Takao

Banned
It could be mobile, or even 3DS.

Okay, that last one is really unlikely.

Japan, it's time to cut the umbilical cord and say your goodbyes to last gen. The PS4 needs you now.

Vita isn't last gen.

Besides, looking at Ys 8 all of Falcom's PS4 releases will probably look Dreamcast+ in complexity.

That doesn't really tell us anything or rule it out...

If Tokyo Xanadu is their first 2015 release but Ys 8 is their first PS4 game, one should infer that means Xanadu isn't a PS4 game.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
The 2015 fiscal year starts in april. TX could in fact be a PS4 game if Ys comes out before then.

Bad news for people wanting a PS4 game:

No source because scans.

Edit: beaten

First PS4 game doesn't necessarily have to mean first PS4 to release....it could have started development earlier or maybe Ys will come out sooner than what we expect.

Come on Falcom give us that PS4 version.

If Tokyo Xanadu is their first 2015 release but Ys 8 is their first PS4 game, one should infer that means Xanadu isn't a PS4 game.

Or it could be that Ys is their first PS4 game announcement. All of those bits of editorial are independent of one another - Xanadu's platform not being revealed yet means the idea that Ys's is Falcom's first PS4 game - is still totally valid.

Either, way I'd like to to be.

If this comes to the US on ps4, ill definitely check it out, i've never played the others, but the videos posted in the thread are interesting

Zetta

If this is a vita exclusive then I think it'll be time I buy a vita. By any chance does any know if kiseki for the psp was brought over to the vita?, can't check right now but if to was then I'll be buying one.

Stark

Banned
Or it could be that Ys is their first PS4 game announcement. All of those bits of editorial are independent of one another - Xanadu's platform not being revealed yet means the idea that Ys's is Falcom's first PS4 game - is still totally valid.

Either, way I'd like to to be.

Yep. Nothing concrete yet so it can't be ruled out.

I wouldn't mind if it was Vita exclusive, but I still think it might not be so.

Vita isn't last gen.

Besides, looking at Ys 8 all of Falcom's PS4 releases will probably look Dreamcast+ in complexity.

I know that, I was referring to the PS3, since there's a likelihood of the game appearing on that platform. I have no problem with it being on the Vita.

And it's not really about pushing graphical fidelity or anything like that, I just want to see Japanese devs make a quicker transition to the new gen and stop languishing in last gen purgatory. It'll be healthier for the industry as a whole.

I came to this to see what was next from Famicom, being familiar with Ys, then I see this

- 1987: Faxanadu
A Xanadu game sublicensed to and developed by Hudson for the Famicom -- thus the name, which is a portmanteau of "Famicom Xanadu." This came out in English on the NES, and while not technically a Falcom game, it's very much in the spirit of the series, and I've long said that Xanadu Next feels like a spiritual sequel to Faxanadu more than it does an actual sequel to Xanadu. It just has a very similar look and feel, but much more modernized. (Oh, and Faxanadu is a great game, so you should totally play it!)

- 1987: Other Dragon Slayer games that aren't Xanadu
There are a ton of them, but they're not technically Xanadu, so I'm not going to talk about them here. A couple did come out in English, though: the fourth game, Drasle Family, was released in English on NES as Legacy of the Wizard, and the fifth game, Sorcerian, was released in English for DOS by Sierra. Both are exceptionally good games, with Legacy of the Wizard being the most obtuse yet addictive Metroidvania till La-Mulana came along, and Sorcerian being a game Falcom really, really needs to remake or sequelize, because it was SO ahead of its time with its modular quest structure and constant expansion packs that were actually worthwhile.

- 1994: The Legend of Xanadu
This is arguably a different series altogether (or a different subseries of Dragon Slayer, anyway, since this counts as Dragon Slayer VIII), but it still has "Xanadu" in its name, and the original Japanese LE of Xanadu Next came with an emulated version of this game and its sequel, so I think it still counts. This PC-Engine exclusive is kind of like a slightly slower bump system Ys title (with sidescrolling boss stages that play kinda like Ys III), but with some really neat additions that make it entirely unique -- like a day/night system with NPCs that actually have daily routines, and the coolest death system I've ever seen (when you die, you become a ghost and are able to fly through walls and trees and over water, so you can literally fly ANYWHERE just to spy on people and see what awaits you later in the game... though you're supposed to fly back to the church to be resurrected).

- 1995: The Legend of Xanadu II
The PC-Engine sequel to The Legend of Xanadu, and one of the most impressive-looking 16-bit games I've ever seen. This title gives even Chrono Trigger and FF6 a run for its money in terms of sheer detail, really pushing the PC-Engine to its limits. This is an unsung gem of the 16-bit era to be sure, and pretty much everything you could possibly hope for from a mid-'90s JRPG.

- 2005: Xanadu Next
Released in English for the N-Gage (!), though the N-Gage version is severely watered down to the point that you might be better off pretending it doesn't exist. ;) This is possibly my favorite Falcom game of all time, playing out like a near-perfect 3D Metroidvania with a dark, creepy atmosphere and some really cool gameplay systems. This is actually the game that introduced the weapon system we saw again in Ys Seven, where unique skills are learned from each weapon, which makes finding weapons out in the wild EXTREMELY EXCITING; and it also has a pretty interesting key system, where keys are carved from monster bones, so when you kill monsters, you can steal their bones and sell them to the locksmith in order to increase supply of parts and bring down the cost of keys... or you can use a bone-carving knife and try making your own keys on the spot, except that you risk failing and destroying the bone instead. There's also a lot of backstory in Xanadu Next, all of which is optional: it's learned by finding ancient stone tablets and diary pages, which you can take to a scholar back in town to have them translated for you (in real time) in order to learn tidbits about the world around you (very reminiscent of the way backstory was told in Pandora's Tower). In fact, Pandora's Tower reminded me a lot of Xanadu Next, which may be why I loved Pandora's Tower so much. ;)

You can also read about all the games I missed (which are mostly remakes and ports) here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Slayer_II:_Xanadu

SO EXCITE.

That's... essentially what Xanadu Next is, more or less. Which is why I love it so much, and why I am SO EXCITE for Tokyo Xanadu.

-Tom

You mean one of my favorite games on nintendo had a sequel, not only a sequel but this new game is one? I'm buying this If it comes to ps4. Faxanadu was a classic to me then, can't wait to see what they do with it now.

So what happens in Falcom announces Fax Xanadu in 10 years? Will it be a Kafkaesque side-scrolling drama adventure concerning an employee's disgruntlement with outdated telecopying in the workplace?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Only Xanadu games I've played are Faxanadu and Legend of Xanadu 1 but I'm pretty damn hyped... PS4 release hopefully!

Back to the PC-88?
Why not? Contract Kiya to make a game, perchance.

Interesting that we have another red-vs-blue gender duo, but for a Xanadu game. Games in the series often reflect the state of Japanese games (Falcom's in particular) around that point—in 1985 there were lots of games blending arcade and computer RPG, in 1995 Revival Xanadu stood out by reinforcing the company's legacy in the midst of a Japanese PC gaming death wave, and 2005 had Falcom reinventing old as new alongside Dinosaur. This might look familiar to the audience for Kiseki and Persona (&c.), but it's no doubt going to be a Xanadu game like its forefathers. standing out for better or worse.

Action RPG with free camera and jumping at least leads me to believe it definitely won't mobile. I'm also in the camp that based on the Ys ad RIGHT NEXT TO THE XANADU AD stating that Ys will be Falcoms first PS4 game, that this will either be Vita or Vita/PS3.

Takao

Banned
I wonder why they won't say anything. I figure it's probably for VITA, but there would be no reason for hiding it, no?

There would be no reason to hide it if were for PS4 either.

They're doing so to generate discussion and allow them to get easy press coverage when they do reveal the platform(s).

Sitrus

Some scan leaks are out and yes, it's the same engine as Sen no Kiseki, just that it looks even better.

Adding this to my "top anticipated titles" list this year. And YES, no f2p interfaces to see anywhere!

Top Bottom