• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands |OT| Squad Goals

Bollocks

I'm really curious how the weekly missions will look like. they can't just throw harder enemies at us as it isn't a shooter and the enemies don't scale with lvl like The Division or Destiny. Maybe restrict missions to certain layouts, time limit?

#1. That streamer is annoying as hell. Wow I wish I could turn him off.

#2. Looks interesting.. all new character for the DLC. Said Mojocoyo.. but when he briefly zoomed out it showed more locations? Maybe 3 provinces? Seems like it's not utilizing the whole map from before.. which is a shame. I feel like some of the locations did seem familiar though.. so we'll have to wait and see?

#3. So yeah, it likely takes place 'before' you take out El Sueno, as the mini gangs you're running with are affiliated with Santa Blanca. UNIDAD is still there as well, so I assume it's all taking place in Bolivia.

#4. Overall it seems like it'll be fun, I didn't see any AI with you, so will co-op work properly? More game is more game.. the dudebro stuff doesn't seem TOO bad.

Can't wait to try it out..

Hey everyone,

Need a new tactical shooter as Siege is getting on a bit now and matchmaking is too long.

Just wondering what everyones advice would be on picking up Wildlands?

Ideally i'd have loved a Socom-style non respawn mode with a number of maps etc.

Do we think this will be the PVP?

Just not sure what to do.

Belker

#1. That streamer is annoying as hell. Wow I wish I could turn him off.

I think he was excited about having viewers. Plus he made a rod for his back by having to do that peculiar series of hand gestures when people subscribed.

Before I buy this I need to know that the vehicles and missions can be used in the whole game, not just that area.

Hey everyone,

Need a new tactical shooter as Siege is getting on a bit now and matchmaking is too long.

Just wondering what everyones advice would be on picking up Wildlands?

Ideally i'd have loved a Socom-style non respawn mode with a number of maps etc.

Do we think this will be the PVP?

Just not sure what to do.

We don't know much about PvP other than it's supposed to be 4v4. I assume it'll be more tactical than the base game, so respawning is PROBABLY out, but who knows. I can't imagine they'd use the whole map for PvP as you'd be hard pressed to find each other, so if they break it up into little mini-maps, there could easily be 10-20 maps.

Otherwise the game is a ton of fun, even more so with friends.

I think he was excited about having viewers. Plus he made a rod for his back by having to do that peculiar series of hand gestures when people subscribed.

Before I buy this I need to know that the vehicles and missions can be used in the whole game, not just that area.

I got the season pass.. so I'll check it out when it unlocks. Maybe tonight? I'll report back my findings and opinions.

I just am not a fan of streamers in general, I think maybe I'm too old. The unneccesary junk on screen, the stupid Virtual Hugs 2 U crap.. ugh. I don't know. Again, old man yelling at cloud here, but I just avoid it whenever possible.

B00TE

Eager to see how Narco Road pans out, if it's good I may grab the pass. Game continues to be wonderful for playing in small bursts solo and still enjoying it quite a bit. Some of the mission checkpoints really suck though.

Okay.. so where to begin?

How about "Is Narco Road any good?" Well, maybe.

Some details..

#1. It's a totally (mostly) stand alone expansion. This means you create a new character to play in Narco Road, you do not have access to your previously unlocked weapons or skills, and you need to load into Narco Road, or the base game.

#2. It uses the base game map, but not all of it. There are 4 territories/provinces/etc in Narco Road, each with a leader or buchon like the main game. These 4 territories cover the main game map from Media Luna, down to Mojocoyo, and east into Flor De Oro/Libertad. There are some weird exclusions where you can't go, but it looks like maybe it'll open up later? Next DLC? The north east/east is generally closed off (Caimanes, Monte Puncu, etc) and the Salt Flats are inaccessible in Koani. All in all it's a pretty decent map size to play with for pure DLC. The basic layout you know and love carries over, but some things have been repurposed/adjusted/etc.

This ALSO means, any guns/outfits/vehicles you unlock in Narco Road are NOT usable in the main game, which kind of sucks, but on the other hand, it means the base game isn't getting tampered with and doesn't create a "have DLC/have not DLC" divide between groups.

#3. This, thematically, takes place after the ending of the base game [I think]. I'm only a few hours in, so nothing has really been spelled out, but from the in game text and hints, it sounds like this operation (Operation Narco Road) takes place after the end of Operation Kingslayer. I'm assuming the 'good' ending. You don't need any knowledge of the ending for Narco Road to make sense though, but it at least explains why you're seeing the same areas again, with sometimes different inhabitants.

#4. Being friends with Santa Blanca is.. weird. I want to shoot their faces off by instinct.. but now they're the ally faction! Rebels are still around, but diminished and generally leave you alone unless you attack them (They're neutral). UNIDAD is still there, and still generally annoying. There is a new 'bad' faction, who I can't remember the name, but they're black and yellow and red, and represent a rival cartel.

#5. Game play is mostly the same. There are monster trucks (with nitro boosts), hot rods (with nitro boosts), suped up lambos (with nitro boost), and even new enemy jeeps (with nitro boost). Nitro boosts for everything! It's silly, and kind of dumb, but not terrible. The planes I've played around with control SUPER WEIRD. They're like.. super sensitive and acrobatic. Beow and I dodged like, 17 SAM's last night, just dancing around in the air. The new helo's are cool looking.. but I didn't notice anything different about them. The "rebel" support is now Santa Blanca support.. and they drop off a helicopter with guns!

#6. Your new character starts @ level 20, with a bunch of skills filled in already. You still collect supplies from stuff in the world (no convoys) to level up the rest of the way I guess. Some skills are removed/not accessible in Narco Road, mostly in the Squad section, and you play solo, there are no AI companions in single player. Your character still talks to himself though, which is kind of amusing. Shit balls!

#7. Missions/Challenges/Story/etc. They are mostly the same, kill this, rescue that, go here, take this there. I've only worked on one province though, so there could be more. So far though there was a couple of variations, one where you had to physically tail a helicopter to listen to them (Drone didn't work) and one where you had to steal a damaged helicopter, and it controlled like shit, so it was a challenge keeping it in the air. If there are more of these variation missions, it will be fun. The dudebro challenges are kind of just there.. you need to do them to gain 'followers', which makes you cooler in the eyes of the gangs, but most of them you can complete just by flying around or driving down a street, they're not super involved or intrusive. In the world of Ghost Recon they're kind of ludicrous, but, to be honest, when playing the main game we did a bunch of that ludicrous stuff on our own, so I'm not going to judge it too harshly.

#8. Difficulty. 3 areas are 4-skull, and one is 5-skull. It's decently difficult, though the enemy density is a lot less than the main game. Since Santa Blanca is your friend, a lot of outposts/bases that used to be hostile are now your buddies! The new rival cartel packs a punch though, and UNIDAD is as hostile as ever.

So there you go.. is it worth $14.99? I don't know. I'd say probably not? It's basically GHOST and the Furious, for all it's pluseseses and minueseses. I will wait to reserve judgement on the story until I beat it, but so far it's perfectly serviceable. "El Invisible" is kind of a dumb name, but oh well.

Curious how the next DLC will be done, it sounds like it'll be more tactical, so here's hoping. As it stands, Narco Road gives me more content to play through, so I'll give it a go. The same basic sandbox and game play loop exists in Narco Road, so I anticipate I'll enjoy it as well, even if it is kind of ridiculous.

Belker

This ALSO means, any guns/outfits/vehicles you unlock in Narco Road are NOT usable in the main game, which kind of sucks, but on the other hand, it means the base game isn't getting tampered with and doesn't create a "have DLC/have not DLC" divide between groups.

This is a terrible decision. You can't even call in the monster trucks?

I have to imagine that Ubisoft will at least patch in some kind of crossover, since the reviews of the DLC seem quite bad. I'm even struggling to think of it as proper DLC, since you say it uses parts of the main game map.

EDIT

Is there four-player co-op at least? That *might* make it worth it, if other people get it. Thing is, I'm still renting the main game and have lots and lots of missions to do and areas left to explore.

I haven't played around, extensively, back in the main game, but from what I've seen (and read), there isn't really any crossover.

The DLC is a 1-week exclusive for season pass holders, so maybe after that week is up, they'll allow crossover? Would seem weird, but.. maybe?

It's standard DLC, as it gives you more content and, tangentially, continues the story. The story they're telling would not work if you tried to place it within the existing game (For example, Nidia Flores house is re-used by someone else in Narco Road). I would have liked to see new areas, but I guess they wanted to stay rooted in Bolivia? I basically see Narco Road (so-far) as an epilogue to the game. A really colorful, kind of weird, epilogue.

Co-op is still just as fun as usual, now with NITRO BOOSTS. I feel like the DLC is geared more towards "going loud" first, and sneaking 2nd, which is a decent change of pace.

COULD it have been better? Absolutely. SHOULD it have been better? I think so. Is it a trainwreck that is not fun and has no redeeming value? No, I would not say that.

Thx for the Narco Road impressions Captain Zyrain.

I have the season pass but will def pass on playing any of this DLC. Narco Road seems like a real missed opportunity to just make a DLC where you infiltrated the cartel related closely with DEA agent that gets killed in the intro video without any of this ridiculous "authentic extreme sports racing" nonsense.

Thx for the Narco Road impressions Captain Zyrain.

I have the season pass but will def pass on playing any of this DLC. Narco Road seems like a real missed opportunity to just make a DLC where you infiltrated the cartel related closely with DEA agent that gets killed in the intro video without any of this ridiculous "authentic extreme sports racing" nonsense.

If you own the season pass, give it a try, it's still "FUN", which to me is the most important thing. It's not at all 'authentic' or even 'Ghost recon-y', but it's still fun tearing ass around the map in a giant monster truck crushing cars. Since I've almost beat the main game twice now, it's nice to have more things to do.

Also.. looks like the LIVE CHALLENGES are a go... they go live every Wednesday at 9:00 UTC.

Here are the details for Week 1:

EPISODE 1: GATHER INTEL ON UNIDAD 4/18-4/26

WE NEED TO DEVELOP A BETTER PICTURE OF UNIDAD'S POSITIONS IN THE FIELD. OUR SIGINT EFFORTS HAVE BEEN UNSUCCESSFUL, SO WE NEED YOU TO CONDUCT A CLOSE RECON OF THE AREA.

Solo Task
TASK 1: IN REMANZO, USE A DRONE TO MARK SAMS, ALARMS AND GATLING NESTS.

Solo Task
TASK 2: IN MEDIA LUNA, USE BINOCULARS TO MARK UNIDAD SOLDIERS FROM AT LEAST 100M AWAY.

Solo Task
TASK 3: MANUALLY DEACTIVATE JAMMERS IN MEDIA LUNA.

Task Force Task
TASK 4: IN ANY PROVINCE, KILL UNIDAD SNIPERS FROM AT LEAST 300M AWAY.

Community Task
TASK 5: IN ANY PROVINCE, USE A DRONE OR BINOCULARS TO MARK UNIDAD SOLDIERS.

I have yet to see how this is tracked though. Has anyone seen in-game tracking? I looked last night but I guess it wasn't active yet.

I've scoured the Ghost Recon Network and haven't found anything yet. This one runs through next Tuesday.

The rewards for Week 1 are "COPPER" gun skin, a task force patch, and a community patch. Nothing great, but something to do! I'm not clear if doing any of the above while in NARCO ROAD will count.

Ordered the game for my PS4 Pro and really excited to get playing.

Most of all I want the PVP; I've essentially bought it in anticipation of small 4v4 elimination mods haha.

Hoping there's a G36C in it too. My fave.

Question about long range sniping. I cant seem to keep targets marked beyond 600m, is there some trick to this?

If you mark them, then back up slowly, they should remain marked. If you look away, they can/will despawn past 600m.

Likely by design to keep rendering distances reasonable. People have made 1.5km+ shots in game though. You can also use a co-op spotter to keep them marked (He's close to them, you're far away).

Ordered the game for my PS4 Pro and really excited to get playing.

Most of all I want the PVP; I've essentially bought it in anticipation of small 4v4 elimination mods haha.

Hoping there's a G36C in it too. My fave.

The G36C is in it, I'm pretty sure. It's locked to the Ubiclub (but free, well uses ubipoint things). So make sure to visit that before you boot up the game (https://club.ubisoft.com/en-US/dashboard)

Also.. the Ubiclub store now has.. A PINATA DRONE!

If you mark them, then back up slowly, they should remain marked. If you look away, they can/will despawn past 600m.

Likely by design to keep rendering distances reasonable. People have made 1.5km+ shots in game though. You can also use a co-op spotter to keep them marked (He's close to them, you're far away).

The G36C is in it, I'm pretty sure. It's locked to the Ubiclub (but free). So make sure to visit that before you boot up the game (https://club.ubisoft.com/en-US/dashboard)

I was literally walking backwards and they disappeared.

I was literally walking backwards and they disappeared.

Could be random maybe.. I know for a fact it works (sometimes) as I've tried it myself. I had to keep the scope on them the whole time. Could try the valleys in Inca Camina, as they're bowl shaped and its easy to keep everything in view (no real rocks in the way).

If you're just going for long shots, if you're trying to use long shots for a gameplay advantage, it's not really worth the effort with the way the game is designed right now.

Xbox? PC? PS4?

The base game is fantastic. I have.. like.. 5+ days of game time invested so far. It's a fun sandbox, and even better in co-op.

PS4 Pro, ahh good stuff...

Never a mistake. Lively communities across all platforms.
Good to hear

Nope. The game is fun solo or co-op, and we still have PvP to look forward to.

Well I played the beta, enjoyed it somewhat, but wanted to venture further in the world. It didn't help that I had no friends to play the game with. I think coop is always fun.

The G36C is in it, I'm pretty sure. It's locked to the Ubiclub (but free, well uses ubipoint things). So make sure to visit that before you boot up the game (https://club.ubisoft.com/en-US/dashboard)

Also.. the Ubiclub store now has.. A PINATA DRONE!

Very kind thank you!

Okay.. so where to begin?

How about "Is Narco Road any good?" Well, maybe.

Some details...

Cheers, really appreciate the in-depth impressions. I'm still not sold so guess I'll be holding out for the next 'Clancyesque' expansion.

In the words of the immortal bard: "This is DLC? Looks like it came it out of a box of cereal or the Air Force or something."

Cheers, really appreciate the in-depth impressions. I'm still not sold so guess I'll be holding out for the next 'Clancyesque' expansion.

In the words of the immortal bard: "This is DLC? Looks like it came it out of a box of cereal or the Air Force or something."

This DLC is pretty fucking devious if you ask me.

I've been reading up on this ahead of time to make sure I kind of know what I'm doing when I begin. Would someone mind answering a couple of questions?

In videos I've watched .... how do you know there are resources or weapon attachments or skill points in that part of the map?

Do you have to interrogate someone, or a laptop and select what you want to get marked on the map?

How do you ensure everything in that region is visible for you to go find and collect? What if I choose one of the rebel abilities... can I interrogate the person again to find the attachments or skill points?

I've been reading up on this ahead of time to make sure I kind of know what I'm doing when I begin. Would someone mind answering a couple of questions?

In videos I've watched .... how do you know there are resources or weapon attachments or skill points in that part of the map?

Do you have to interrogate someone, or a laptop and select what you want to get marked on the map?

How do you ensure everything in that region is visible for you to go find and collect? What if I choose one of the rebel abilities... can I interrogate the person again to find the attachments or skill points?

You have two kinds of intel:

MAJOR INTEL is like a little yellow folder, it leads to you story missions.

MINOR INTEL is like a little white ( ! ) that is either a Rebel you talk to, a computer you access, or an enemy lieutenant you interrogate. Each time you do one of these you get to choose to reveal Rebel locations, Supply locations, or Skill Points/Weapon Locations/Bonus Skills. You can only do each one once (generally) but there are more than enough intel locations to get everything revealed in each province.

When you look at something, you just activate it. To interrogate someone, you need to grab them and then interrogate them (X and then Y on Xbox).

You can also just stumble across things in the world.

You have two kinds of intel:

MAJOR INTEL is like a little yellow folder, it leads to you story missions.

MINOR INTEL is like a little white ( ! ) that is either a Rebel you talk to, a computer you access, or an enemy lieutenant you interrogate. Each time you do one of these you get to choose to reveal Rebel locations, Supply locations, or Skill Points/Weapon Locations/Bonus Skills. You can only do each one once (generally) but there are more than enough intel locations to get everything revealed in each province.

When you look at something, you just activate it. To interrogate someone, you need to grab them and then interrogate them (X and then Y on Xbox).

You can also just stumble across things in the world.

Ah thanks so the second bit of intel you get ; the option you've already found will be greyed out?

Ah thanks so the second bit of intel you get ; the option you've already found will be greyed out?

Kind of, its either replaced by another option or its blank. You make 1 of up to 3 choices each time you get intel

Intel comes in 3 ways
1-intel cache - hack a laptop, take pics of stuff etc
2-friendly npc - talk to a friendly npc
3-interrogate enemy - locate, grab and interrogate an enemy. They are usually guarded pretty well and will try to run if you are detected. I think they also will shoot at you iirc

In the each province:
1st intel: skill points, rebel ops, supplies
2nd intel: weapons/weapon parts, rebel ops, supplies
3rd intel: bonus medals, rebel ops, supplies

Thats assuming you choose the 1st option which is the color blue on your choices interface

Thanks guys. Sounds a bit overwhelming. Miss the old climb a tower to unlock the areas of all unlockables haha. Are all the things that can unlock intel marked (friendly npc's, laptops, enemies to interrogate)

Thanks guys. Sounds a bit overwhelming. Miss the old climb a tower to unlock the areas of all unlockables haha. Are all the things that can unlock intel marked (friendly npc's, laptops, enemies to interrogate)

Nah its not overwhelming.

The intel is marked as white circles w exclamation points in them. They are made visible on the map when you are close in proximity and usually found in the towns/bases as opposed to out in the open.

I just flew a helicopter around populated areas and usually 4-5 of them pop up. Alot of the stuff is in the area of major intel missions so they steer you in the direction anyway.

If you get close in proximity (50 meters or so) to a skill point, weapon or bonus medal ur character will make a comment and it will show up on the map too

Nah its not overwhelming.

The intel is marked as white circles w exclamation points in them. They are made visible on the map when you are close in proximity and usually found in the towns/bases as opposed to out in the open.

I just flew a helicopter around populated areas and usually 4-5 of them pop up. Alot of the stuff is in the area of major intel missions so they steer you in the direction anyway.

If you get close in proximity (50 meters or so) to a skill point, weapon or bonus medal ur character will make a comment and it will show up on the map too
Cheers!

Yoday

Xbox players should join these groups

WildlandsGAF -

Xbox Live club. Private club - need a NG forum name to get in.

https://account.xbox.com/en-GB/clubs/profile?clubid=3379847327771890

NeoGAF taskforce

Part of the Ubisoft network. Public club.

https://ghostreconnetwork.ubi.com/en-US/task-force/profile/30708/NeoGAF
I submitted a request to join the club, but I don't see a way to PM an admin without being able to see the roster. My GT is the same as it is here, Yoday.

Belker

I submitted a request to join the club, but I don't see a way to PM an admin without being able to see the roster. My GT is the same as it is here, Yoday.

Invite to join sent.

Me and Captain Zyrain are admins. Anybody wanting to join can PM me here with their XBL name and I'll add them - that way you don't need to post in the thread if you don't want to.

Also, I hadn't realised you can't see the roster without being a member - if that's what you're saying. I'll try to remember to update the text on the club itself.

Yoday

Invite to join sent.

Me and Captain Zyrain are admins. Anybody wanting to join can PM me here with their XBL name and I'll add them - that way you don't need to post in the thread if you don't want to.

Also, I hadn't realised you can't see the roster without being a member - if that's what you're saying. I'll try to remember to update the text on the club itself.
Thanks, got in. And yes, that's what I'm saying. Since it's a private club you can't see the roster without being a member.

Hip Hop

Why hasn't this game gone on sale on PC? For Honor, a recent ubisoft game has done so .

just waiting for that.

seemingly the PS4 and X1 editions have gone on a few times already.

Pretty straightforward once you get used to it, grey ( ! ) provide Intel from either rebels or enemy and you just choose what you want to show on map. Other Intel can be documents and missions are triggered by the yellow folders. As mentioned, the character will comment on nearby stuff that worth looking for or picking up.

So just to be sure you can play Narco Road in coop?

Yes you can. I've done 2 player so far (since not everyone has it), so I assume 4 is still a go as well.

The game is on sale for $35 for Xbox/PS4 on Amazon today I believe. Heck of a deal!

Played a little more Narco Road last night, it's fun.. it's very..... wacky. We got our trucks stuck in a number of odd places. It feels like a Hogans Heroes of Ghost Recon.

One of the locations is called "Eddie's Beach Party House" and the description is "It's a beach house. For parties." There is a lot of tongue in cheek stuff I've seen so far. Don't get it expecting tactical. It is very much so more action oriented.. but I'm still having fun. They introduce some new mission types and twists.. vehicles that control badly.. on purpose. A passenger who keeps grabbing the wheel.. etc.

Would I have preferred a gritter, more tactical expansion? Sure.. but I would be lying if I said I wasn't still having fun in Narco Road.

Yes you can. I've done 2 player so far (since not everyone has it), so I assume 4 is still a go as well.

The game is on sale for $35 for Xbox/PS4 on Amazon today I believe. Heck of a deal!

Played a little more Narco Road last night, it's fun.. it's very..... wacky. We got our trucks stuck in a number of odd places. It feels like a Hogans Heroes of Ghost Recon.

One of the locations is called "Eddie's Beach Party House" and the description is "It's a beach house. For parties." There is a lot of tongue in cheek stuff I've seen so far. Don't get it expecting tactical. It is very much so more action oriented.. but I'm still having fun. They introduce some new mission types and twists.. vehicles that control badly.. on purpose. A passenger who keeps grabbing the wheel.. etc.

Would I have preferred a gritter, more tactical expansion? Sure.. but I would be lying if I said I wasn't still having fun in Narco Road.

Yeah it's £34.99 in HMV in UK atm, I thought might as well pick it up, and 3 quid isn't gonna break the bank between waiting for postage or playing straight away.

Weetrick

Nice, I've been looking for a tactical game to play on the ps4 every since I got bit by the PUBG bug. Any reason to get the deluxe version since it's on sale for $44?

The deluxe edition seems like a huge ripoff to me. Patches are dumb - I can barely even see mine. There are enough camo skins in the game already. XP booster isn't worth it, you're pretty much guaranteed to max out if you take out all the bosses - Plus it's only 2 hours which sucks. The bike and rifle seem cool but not $9 cool imo.

$35 is a great price for the standard edition. I'd go for that.

arimanius

The deluxe edition seems like a huge ripoff to me. Patches are dumb - I can barely even see mine. There are enough camo skins in the game already. XP booster isn't worth it, you're pretty much guaranteed to max out if you take out all the bosses - Plus it's only 2 hours which sucks. The bike and rifle seem cool but not $9 cool imo.

$35 is a great price for the standard edition. I'd go for that.

Awesome that's what I was kind of thinking. Ordered the standard edition. Can't wait till Friday now.

Yeah, deluxe isn't anything special, but does come with a few things you can't get by buying the regular edition + season pass.

I'd stick to the regular edition and then grab the season pass down the road if you want more content. The main game can take a long time as it is without any of the DLC.

Top Bottom