• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands |OT| Squad Goals

Is there a way to see if a helicopter is close to a fast travel city?

If I need a helicopter. . .as it stands I need to teleport to a city and hope there's a helicopter within walking distance. I don't have the 'helicopter air drop' ability.

Any tips?

Erban1

Is there a way to see if a helicopter is close to a fast travel city?

If I need a helicopter. . .as it stands I need to teleport to a city and hope there's a helicopter within walking distance. I don't have the 'helicopter air drop' ability.

Any tips?

Unfortunately not, before i got the air drop ability unlocked i would look for the nearest marked outpost and hoped they had a heli around. You might see heli's at a fast travel point in later provinces as well. You're honestly better off finding a heli and scoping out a few of the side missions to level up that ability. I think i was able to upgrade that ability enough to drop helicopters in a bit over an hour of play time.

There are also helicopters all over the place.

Bolivia must have the highest helicopter-to-citizen ratio of any nation on earth!

Almost all of the Santa Blanca outposts will have a helicopter, most towns as well.

The resource helicopter missions will also provide you with a transport in a pinch as well!

Kalentan

I just got this for free with my new computer and I have to ask, was there any complaints against the PC port? Cause I know that Ubisoft games usually have those.

With that said, holy shit on the GTX 1060 this game runs like a dream. I turned everything to max and it runs really- really good.

I just got this for free with my new computer and I have to ask, was there any complaints against the PC port? Cause I know that Ubisoft games usually have those.

With that said, holy shit on the GTX 1060 this game runs like a dream. I turned everything to max and it runs really- really good.

I don't think so, there were some initial issues with graphics/etc on PC I remember seeing but otherwise I think it's been mostly good.

I wish I had a PC that could run it well, but its more than do-able on console.

I completed the week 3 challenges last night.. a bit of fun taking it to UNIDAD.

Don't go into the light, Carol Ann!

Had some fun last night.. working on an "90's only" build, with Chocolate Chip camo, period accurate weapons and accessories.. no drone.. etc.

Was pretty fun actually, Beow and I might create new characters to spec for classes as well.

Also... SPOILERS AHEAD FOR NARCO ROAD!!

The last province in Narco Road is really good, it's weirdly different from the first three. It's not quite as bro or crazy. The 2nd to last mission was also incredible. SPOILERS..
You get taken prisoner and have to break out of a UNIDAD prison. All your weapons and gadgets are taken away so you have to improvise on the spot. It's really tense and took me like 10 deaths to get out. I hope Fallen Ghosts is like this. It's so weird because the mission is so different from everything else in Narco Road.. but it's really really good. Also the ending to Narco Road is really cool as well, and kind of heavy.

So in the end.. I liked Narco Road even if it was kinda crazy. Hoping Fallen Ghosts is more tacticool.

They should add a super hardcore mode, with generated missions.

Start as prisoners in a camp with nothing to use, and extract to X, or steal helicopter Y, or kill target Z. With a time-limit.

In a storm.

Of fire.

With piranhas in the water.

They should add a super hardcore mode, with generated missions.

Start as prisoners in a camp with nothing to use, and extract to X, or steal helicopter Y, or kill target Z. With a time-limit.

In a storm.

Of fire.

With piranhas in the water.
That would be a much better use of the open world than the separate universe DLC they've put out.

Just map different scenarios in the world we already know, and give us reasons to return to some places we've already cleared.

But yeah, the game needs more hardcore options, though to do that right it needs some hardcore tweaks to the AI to match.

Anyone want to help a GAFfer out getting the Finishing the Job trophy on PS4?
Nearing the completion of the Platinum trophy and this one is bugging me, as I only find assholes in random groups.

US East. PSN ID: VirusPT. Hit me up

Edit: I'm usually online around 7-10 EST on workdays

Belker

Any one know if the Ubisoft stats are bugged? I check my play time and expected to see about 70 hours and it says I've played for four days and 21 hours.

Now that I have practically finished Wildlands – over 100 hours played, probably, and main story almost done – I want to write a little about it.

First, the bad. Why not – get it out of the way. The game's narrative context is hoo-rah American imperialism, and not always very interesting. The chatter is often dull. There are numerous minor bugs, some relatively serious. Vehicles can handle very weirdly. The game world can screw you through chance. The game lacks certain standard stealth/tactical features: moving and hiding bodies, smoke grenades, and rappelling off buildings and cliffs. Single player AI is not great, and has limited functionality. There is a curious lack of attention to detail at times. Some of the buildings repeat. Some of the civilian/enemy AI can do some seriously weird shit. It's rare anyone will outwit you.

So why play it? Because it's great. Why? Two reasons - for me - co-op, and the game-world. Necessarily both are related, and the former relies on the latter.

5a27de2e-4d37-49c4-bc26-c6c1d2685bec_Thumbnail.PNG

I have played the game almost entirely in co-op. It is infinitely more fun. The core gameplay loop of sneak > scout > execute > shit goes crazy is very common, but is made superlative by like-minded friends playing at very high difficulty, with minimal HUD. This improves ambience (more later), but also to make communication, co-ordination and immersion all the more significant. It is a lot of fun to plan an approach to base, watching patrol patterns, taking out lights or drone jammers stealthily, identifying targets and obstacles, and then executing – and then changing it on the fly, adapting to massive reinforcements, unexpected objective shifts, and people fucking up.

339395f4-6a3a-45e1-8eda-fdf0523ad87e_Thumbnail.PNG

What is more, the way the missions, collectibles and co-op all work, you are never lost for things to do. Every way you turn, there is, yes, an icon to explore, but that icon is a well-conceived, well-positioned, unique engagement. Yes, the AI is limited, yes the character models are not the most diverse, but it is through the engagement with your friends that this becomes less significant, and what takes over is the discussion, the slow, methodical engagement, and the satisfaction of an entire base cleared out without a whisper of noise in the ears of your enemies. Some of the missions require you to go undeteced, which can be superbly tense. It helps that the gunplay is fun, there are plenty of tools to use, and the gameplay systems are, whilst not incredible, stable and strong enough to engender a variety of options and responses. Furthermore, the shoddy AI can work in fun's favour: some encounters, especially involving roads, can go utterly batshit, with cars flying and explosions everywhere.

19562b10-a53c-4815-a447-e91ae0b1bd39_Thumbnail.PNG

The world makes it. There are no two towns that are the same, very few repeated buildings other than a certain few, key formulaic structures, and the variety of landscapes, both between regions and within them, feels both consistent and interesting. As above, this leads to ensuring that the relatively tame (but fun) gameplay systems remain fresh. You do the same thing over and over, but in so many different settings and in so many subtly different ways.

1b632cf4-6d28-4b1f-8359-7fdc92a5c4a5_Thumbnail.PNG

Furthermore, it strengthens the narrative by essentially taking over the heavy-lifting. You spend all your time immersed in it, the story becomes a dressing on top. The variety is immense, the fluidity between regions is done very well, and the ambience is fantastic. Ambient music plays at the right times, in the right ways. Weather shifts, creating beautifully atmospheric moments. The game on X1 is not stunningly beautiful up close (and these screenies are not at full-res, I think, so bear that in mind), but the combined draw distance, lightning system and emphasis on weather means it is frequently lovely, and incredibly atmospheric. Stealth in a storm, or a sunrise water-assault – the game frequently has lovely conjunctions of style and gameplay that feel organic. Furthermore, there are loads of animal types, and animal sounds, from bats to llamas to moths to flamingos, which add a surprising amount to the game's feel. The human wildlife, whilst rather less impressive, can add atmosphere too: ‘Bolivians' (this is a total pastiche of Latin America asfaik) exist in enough numbers and variety to be good window dressing. The game has been slated by some for being standard Ubisoft copy-paste world. This is nonsense. The game relies on Ubisoft systems (icons galore), yes, but the world is unique and wonderfully built, with a hell of a lot of thought put into it. Each icon represents a unique location, challenge, a moment of real fun.

LTj50hi.png

PaUYIcc.png

44645099-9ad1-440f-a451-77297d4f09fd_Thumbnail.PNG

Even some of the bad isn't all bad. The attention to detail can be great – from dirt on clothes to the interaction of wind on grass and trees (again, atmosphere can be amazing here), to heat dissipation of muzzles, to your clothing reflecting the guns you use via visible ammo on your belt/armour, and so on. Some of the missions are rather rote, but many are wonderfully built, with vast play areas, distinct settings, and even some interesting story. The sound design is great here too: the gun audio is incredible in certain environments, with echoes done really well.

InqEesd.jpg

Where it could be better is where the Ubisoft genericism comes into play. Other than the already mentioned poorer elements, the game lacks that touch of genius that elevates the story to great heights, or the gameplay to truly wonderful levels, rather than solid and fun (the difference, in my mind, between a special birthday dinner in the big city and a ‘let's go to our favourite pub for dinner this weekend'). There could be a lot more made of interaction with civilians, of the ebb-and-flow of power mechanics between the world's various factions, of survival elements, of hearts-and-minds, of super-hardcore stealth for those who want it (although playing no-HUD, on Extreme difficulty is very, very hard), and single player needs better, more granular, AI control.

f288f568-8c47-4ca8-9ae0-83fa48f069cc_Thumbnail.PNG

In sum though, I felt compelled to write this to celebrate a game I did not expect to enjoy this much. It has been terrific fun in co-op, and I am very pleased to have played it when I did. Roll on the competitive MP and the next expansion!

FiraB

Banned
After playing playerunknown battlegrounds for a few weeks I've realized that ubisoft completely missed the multiplayer potential of this game.

Game screams for a battle royale mode, this thing could have had one hell of a multiplayer scene if they had of done it right.

Already has teams, vehicles, heaps of guns with tons of accesories and player made characters with heaps of clothing options.

Ubisoft done goofed.

Stupid I never realized this til now.

Belker

Good write-up Sparrows.

One thing got me thinking - your mention of hiding bodies. That's something I've asked for to, but I wonder it would affect the game in the way I really want.

Right now we, generally, shoot people and see where they fall. If they're discovered or spotted things, go badly and become fun.

Would hiding bodies efficiently mean that fun is less likely?

There's this word jankiness in the game that somehow makes it work and I wonder how you can design it to keep that aspect intentionally, without smoothing it out too much.

Good write-up Sparrows.

One thing got me thinking - your mention of hiding bodies. That's something I've asked for to, but I wonder it would affect the game in the way I really want.

Right now we, generally, shoot people and see where they fall. If they're discovered or spotted things, go badly and become fun.

There's this word jankiness in the game that somehow makes it work and I wonder how you can design it to keep that aspect intentionally, without smoothing it out too much.

It didn't really make a difference aye, but option could have helped.

Smoke grenades would be aces though.

NHale

After playing playerunknown battlegrounds for a few weeks I've realized that ubisoft completely missed the multiplayer potential of this game.

Game screams for a battle royale mode, this thing could have had one hell of a multiplayer scene if they had of done it right.

Already has teams, vehicles, heaps of guns with tons of accesories and player made characters with heaps of clothing options.

Ubisoft done goofed.

Stupid I never realized this til now.

Ubisoft should hire you. Seriously the first Battle Royale with AAA polish will make a lot of money especially if they release on all platforms. The market is there but no AAA developers is there, which makes it very likely that in 3 years everyone will saturate the market when the demand for those games are peaking right now.

Good write-up Sparrows.

Sorry I missed you guys this weekend, didn't have time for a good sitdown. Maybe this coming weekend? I hate that I'm always on late so I usually miss everyone except Beow and Yoday.

Not sure hiding bodies would be a big deal, most of the time you're killing at a distance where you wouldn't be able to hide them anyway. They'd have to make it so bodies never despawn either, or only do so at a much further distance I guess. Would be nice to have just for realism sake, but guessing it would upend a lot of the game conventions as they are now.

Nice write up, I feel mostly the same.

I think one big strength that's also a shortcoming is that the game lets you play it how you want to. It's a negative because GOOD games are purposefully directed and designed to give you a good experience right out of the box, you plop down and enjoy its goodie goodness right as the developers planned. It's a positive thing because.. wow there is so much potential goodness in this game, some that I'm sure the developers never even thought of. The standard gameplay loop is so good, and so flexible, that you can add your own spin on it in any number of ways, and it's still fun. Just wandering around the world can be fun, and I really like that any mini battle can be just as deadly as the biggest base if you're not careful.

I've lost track of the number of hours I've put into the game, but I'm on my 3rd standard character, plus one maxed out character in Narco Road. All that, and I'm still finding new stuff/ways to play/ways to have fun. On my 3rd character, trying something new, kind of based of the "random cards" idea, kinda based off 90's only stuff, and just more limiting ideas.

Playing without a drone/no mini-map, even in single player, is very refreshing. It sort of fixes the 'marking' issues, since you're mostly not spotting anyone outside of your line of site. Occasionally the AI or a friend will spot someone, but that mostly makes sense since they'd be relaying that info to you over the comms or whatever. It also makes for epic surprises, where some random, unaccounted for, bad guy will stroll out of his bed and cause all kinds of chaos. It also makes searching the base for generators / SAMs / Jammers more fun than just flying around looking for everything.

Limiting your skills to certain things is also a new fun way to play the game. I wish you could disable skills retroactively, but right now starting a new character is the only way to do it. I don't need to put points in drones, because.. no drones! Limiting, or not using the skills like vehicle damage, advanced suppressor, whatever the one that makes them not spot you, etc. keeps a real challenge going longer. Obviously this isn't for a first play through, but once you've got the game systems down pat, and want a challenge, I feel this is the way to go, mostly since there is no really GOOD way to disable the in-game systems without making things borderline unusable. It also makes you play differently if you don't have access to flashbangs, or C4, or whatever. Silencers only for pistols, etc etc.

I just went through and 100%'d Itacua this way, and, yeah it's easy being a 2-skull location, but it's still fun.

Adding in 'class-based' stuff (medic, marksmen, grenadier, etc) is also fun, and can be done nicely with the proper planning ahead. (Grenadier gets extra explosive perks, sapper gets C4/Mines, Medic can revive during combat-everyone else must wait until combat is over to revive, Heavy weapons gets VHC damage perks, etc). It's a bit of a pain since you need to start the character with this in mind, but really playing the first couple of provinces again with minimal weapons/skills/etc is still a lot of fun.

I had a blast Mk17/HTI'ing everyone and everything on my first play through, level 30, skills maxed out.. you're a one man RAMBO wrecking crew, and it's hella fun.. but it's also nice to find ways to put more tactical back into the game. Of course I wish they had pre-set options for all of this, maybe in future patches? Until then, it's still a very fun game to drop into (especially with co-op partners).

Some leaked PvP details.. not sure if they're 100% accurate or not.

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainm...PDATE-Character-classes-free-DLC-PS4-Xbox-One

PvP Live has detailed the new characters, revealing more about weapon loadouts and abilities.

Assault characters are said to carry a larger pool of grenades than other characters and can wear level two armour without stamina or speed restrictions.

Assault characters can also scan for opponents and enemy tech within a certain range.

Engineers, on the other hand, can lay traps for the enemy team and can use the drone ability to potentially mark rival players on the map.

Scouts are believed to be the quickest soldiers in PvP, and will use silences submachine guns. Scouts will also use the scan ability.

Kind of sounds like how we've been trying to play the game :)

Edit:

I also got a map and soundtrack from a European special edition.. no idea why the US ones didn't come with these. Now I don't have to pull up the onscreen map as much!

s-l1600.png

Belker

I'd like it if you could use the PVP classes in the main game, but they'll probably be walled off again.

I have a GTA IV map that I sometimes think I should frame and hang.

Ubisoft on Scorpio..

OXM: In recent months, Ubisoft has committed to enhancing some of its games for Playstation 4 Pro. Microsoft has its new console Project Scorpio launching later this year, so can we expect a similar level of enthusiasm and excitement and support from Ubisoft?

XP: Of course! And you know facts are – especially on Ghost Recon – I think the game that made this brand big again apart from the launch of the original game was Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter, which was on the Xbox 360, and at that time was considered a real next-gen title. So on every new platform we are very, very enthusiastic.
When it comes to power, then it comes to delivering more visual quality, more emotion, and on Ghost Recon we pay a lot of attention to the weather, on the different effects and we know it will be... I’m not saying because the Scorpio hasn’t revealed all these secrets yet, but for sure there will be a lot of stuff that we could have been dreaming of having when we launch.

http://www.gamesradar.com/ubisoft-p...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

I sure hope they have a patch for Wildlands.. I would love to get PC-esque quality on my TV. That would be worth the price of admission for Scorpio alone!

The HDR in Wildlands on the Xbox One S is great, though kind of obstructing at the same time. I'll get literally "blinded" when looking at the sky and down again, which is realistic.. but also tends to obscure my vision!

Ultimately it's a 'good' thing since it looks really nice. Just a weird effect since HDR is still new'ish I suppose.

BTW I should be available to play tomorrow afternoon/evening and all day Saturday. If I'm not online shoot me an Xbox message, I get those on my phone!

Is the Deluxe edition worth it?

Thinking of picking this up today but not sure if it's worth splurging for Deluxe or Season Pass.

Watch Dogs 2 (great game, but..) Season Pass is not impressive at all, if that was any indication.

Is the Deluxe edition worth it?

Thinking of picking this up today but not sure if it's worth splurging for Deluxe or Season Pass.

Watch Dogs 2 (great game, but..) Season Pass is not impressive at all, if that was any indication.

I don't know, I'd say no to the Deluxe edition, but if you can find it on sale it might be worth it.

The Standard Edition comes with nothing for the most part.

The Deluxe comes with a couple of DLC missions and some unlockable weapons and camos, which are OK but not essential.

The Gold Edition comes with the Deluxe edition plus the season pass.

Personally I'd just get the Standard game and if you really really like it, purchase the Season Pass after the fact. If you're not super into the game, you don't need to buy the Season pass that way.

I feel like it's a great game, but its a time investment to be sure.

---------------

On another note.. Beow and I have been running through the campaign with our minimal, 90's-based characters.. and it's a ton of fun. We decided against suppressors pretty much 100%, so we've had to do a lot more physical take downs to remain stealthy. We even pulled off two "1 bullet challenge" missions, where we didn't even need to fire our rifle (Extracting Carzita with only 1 bullet fired was pretty awesome).

Self imposed limitations is really the key right now to increasing the longevity and enjoyment from the game for me. I wish you could do more with the options, but as it is, it's not tooooo bad. Starting a new character and purposefully limiting your skills is by far the best way I've seen so far, as it's far too tempting to 'accidentally' use something you've unlocked but are not supposed to use.

It's also been fun researching the different guns and equipment to see what was really around in the mid-90's and only trying to use period specific stuff.

Belker

Self imposed limitations is really the key right now to increasing the longevity and enjoyment from the game for me.

That's always been the end-goal of the cards, but with the randomness acting as a counter to people's tendency to limit themselves to features they like using.

Longevity really comes when you have to find creative ways solve problems with tools you wouldn't normally touch.

But, as you say, you have to be disciplined enough to *not* use items, even if it means you die or fail a mission.

EDIT

Again, using cards is applicable to any game with a skill tree, used right at the beginning to determine what you'll have access to. It's not just for Wildlands. It can really help make a game feel fresher.

That's always been the end-goal of the cards, but with the randomness acting as a counter to people's tendency to limit themselves to features they like using.

Longevity really comes when you have to find creative ways solve problems with tools you wouldn't normally touch.

But, as you say, you have to be disciplined enough to *not* use items, even if it means you die or fail a mission.

EDIT

Again, using cards is applicable to any game with a skill tree, used right at the beginning to determine what you'll have access to. It's not just for Wildlands. It can really help make a game feel fresher.

Yep, I really liked the card system a lot, and this idea sprung from that. My only negative with using that system on the fly is that some things cannot be disabled from inside the game. You're always going to have to flip through Thermal Vision and Night Vision if you're switching vision modes, even if your character "doesn't have it". Same with equipment/etc. It's not a problem, it just gets in the way and detracts from the 'seemless' approach.

By creating a character from the ground up, purposefully spec'd to whatever it is you're going for, it allows most of the in-game functions to work properly, without 'teasing' you with stuff you can't/shouldn't use.

It also lets you do think you can't do with cards, like limit vehicle damage, ammo, heath etc. Since the AI can't really be modified much to make it a significant challenge, the only other way is to purposefully limit your stat boosts. That cannot be done after the fact (yet?). If you're spec'd out fully.. well when you're a Rambo, and that's fun for sure, but you can't put the genie back in the bottle. When you're fully skilled out, there is not a whole lot of challenge. You can lay down and become invisible. You can run around without making a sound. Etc etc. It makes the game a lot easier, and is perfectly fine for a normal play though, as your character is constantly getting a little bit stronger, a little tougher, etc. However, when you continue playing.. you're always going to be this super strong character.

Purposefully limited your character from the beginning lets you experience 5-skull areas with maybe only one or two points in vehicle destruction. Maybe you don't get the grenade launcher skill either, so taking down enemy helicopters is now a real challenge. Not maxing out the detection skill means you need to actually take cover when UNIDAD is flying by. It's... it's really a ton of fun. We're not using drones, at all, and that alone is making a huge difference. Minimal skill points allowed in binocular recon too, so you do your best to recon a base, but then you have to always be prepared for a guy you didn't spot.. couple this with no silencers.. means you're always on the move to try and tackle the guy before he alerts his friends.

All of this mostly just works together without the player needing to do anything (other than do NOT unlock skills), which helps a lot when you want to play longer than 1 play session. Limited the equipment available (and camo outfits! Woodland, DCU and Chocolate Chip FTW!) also helps with the immersion aspect, which is unnecessary but a nice addition.

Essentially you're making a character with card unlocks that you plan to stick with for a while. The downside is it doesn't really work great for 'pick up games', as everyone has to be doing the same thing to keep it even. I wish Ubisoft let us create more than 3 characters, but it is what it is.

Not going to lie, I can't wait to get back to it, it feels much more grounded and 'ghost recon-y', without having to turn off all markers/etc (though you can do that too).

I don't know, I'd say no to the Deluxe edition, but if you can find it on sale it might be worth it.

The Standard Edition comes with nothing for the most part.

The Deluxe comes with a couple of DLC missions and some unlockable weapons and camos, which are OK but not essential.

The Gold Edition comes with the Deluxe edition plus the season pass.

Personally I'd just get the Standard game and if you really really like it, purchase the Season Pass after the fact. If you're not super into the game, you don't need to buy the Season pass that way.

I feel like it's a great game, but its a time investment to be sure.

---------------

On another note.. Beow and I have been running through the campaign with our minimal, 90's-based characters.. and it's a ton of fun. We decided against suppressors pretty much 100%, so we've had to do a lot more physical take downs to remain stealthy. We even pulled off two "1 bullet challenge" missions, where we didn't even need to fire our rifle (Extracting Carzita with only 1 bullet fired was pretty awesome).

Self imposed limitations is really the key right now to increasing the longevity and enjoyment from the game for me. I wish you could do more with the options, but as it is, it's not tooooo bad. Starting a new character and purposefully limiting your skills is by far the best way I've seen so far, as it's far too tempting to 'accidentally' use something you've unlocked but are not supposed to use.

It's also been fun researching the different guns and equipment to see what was really around in the mid-90's and only trying to use period specific stuff.

Thanks! Took your advice and went with standard edition. Excited to play this - never played a game like this before.

Thanks! Took your advice and went with standard edition. Excited to play this - never played a game like this before.

Xbox/PC/PS4?

We should have a GAF Task Force setup for each system. It doesn't do a whole lot, but makes setting up co-op games a lot easier with people you are semi-familiar with.

Found the list!

https://ghostreconnetwork.ubi.com/en-US/task-force/profile/30708/NeoGAF (Xbox NeoGAF Task Force)

https://ghostreconnetwork.ubi.com/en-US/task-force/profile/57067/GAF_USA (PS4 GAF_USA Task Force)

https://ghostreconnetwork.ubi.com/en-US/task-force/profile/1166/NeoGAF (PC NeoGAF Task Force)

The game is a lot of fun in solo, the friendly AI is just kind of there, think of them more as a supporting force than anything important. I'd recommend playing on Normal difficulty for the first province, and then bump it up to Advanced after you've gotten a hang of the controls/mechanics/etc. Advanced seems like the sweet spot where it's not frustrating, but not a push over either.

Belker

Good discussions yesterday NSA (and Beow).

Afterwards, I started to think about one could use the individual difficulty setting and UI elements for a roleplaying-type game.

For example the heavy gunner could set his difficulty to lowest, to simulate the idea of him having more body armour.

The scout/sniper character could turn on his minimap to help call out enemies. Or an infilitrator could turn his difficulty to up, but keeps map on, so he has the most informatio when he's sneaking but he's also most vulnerable to enemy fire.

Slermy

Anyone else complete the weekly challenge: "IN FLOR DE ORO, USE HELICOPTER ROCKETS TO KILL [50] UNIDAD SOLDIERS."?

It me about an hour of spawning near the Unidad main base, stealing the two helicopters and being shot down over-and-over.

Anyway, it unlocks the Titanium paint:
titanium_def.png

In game though, it's very blue. And it's an all or nothing skin, so you can't mix & match. :-/ A bit disappointing.

Belker

There's also an Xbox Live club. PM me with your XBL name and I'll add you:

https://account.xbox.com/en-GB/clubs/profile?clubid=3379847327771890

EDIT -

I had a text chat with an MS support person over my inability to edit the club description. That's why I can't tell people which admin to message to join the group.

It might have something to do my creating the club, then deleting it and starting again. The capitalisation on the name was wrong, hence deletion. The rep said he's passed it to someone else; it's not a bug they've heard of before, apparently.

Fallen Ghosts - May 30th! (For season pass peeps, June 6th for non season pass peasants)

http://blog.ubi.com/ghost-recon-wildlands-fallen-ghosts-expansion-unleashes-new-missions-new-enemy/

https://ghost-recon.ubisoft.com/wil...face-the-deadliest-challenge-in-fallen-ghosts

After the fall of the Santa Blanca Cartel, Unidad's military force is unable to contain the chaos created by the Ghosts. Santa Blanca's disorganized members search for revenge and the rebels are trying to take back control of cocaine production. In order to help restore order in the country, Unidad enlists the most dangerous volunteers, disgraced ex-military special operations and ex-cartel members from various Latin-American countries, giving birth to a unit specializing in the most brutal operations: Los Extranjeros.
Before leaving the country for good, the Ghosts have one last mission: they need to evacuate the last CIA members and American civilians remaining in the country. On their way in, their chopper is shot down and they crash in the middle of the jungle. They are now chased by enemies better equipped and stronger than them...so they will need to play smart if they want to survive.

But these are not the only changes: for those of you who love a good challenge, the Advanced and Expert difficulties have been tweaked to offer a greater challenge. Turn off the HUD and immerse yourself in the most extreme tactical experience you can experience in Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands.

For those of you who mastered the campaign, Fallen Ghosts should test your tactical and combat skills to the limit, either solo or with friends. We really hope you will be up to the challenge, Ghosts, because Los Extranjeros will show no mercy.

Good discussions yesterday NSA (and Beow).

Afterwards, I started to think about one could use the individual difficulty setting and UI elements for a roleplaying-type game.

For example the heavy gunner could set his difficulty to lowest, to simulate the idea of him having more body armour.

The scout/sniper character could turn on his minimap to help call out enemies. Or an infilitrator could turn his difficulty to up, but keeps map on, so he has the most informatio when he's sneaking but he's also most vulnerable to enemy fire.

The difficulty thing is interesting, I'm curious how it would play out with 4 people all at different difficulties. The hard thing to plan for is.. what if you have 3 people? Or 2 people? Building in strict class stuff can run you into issues sometimes. What if the medic isn't online? Etc.

I've been trying to tweak things to hit a couple of different goals, some of which overlap, some done.

First goal: Make the game more difficult/challenging.

There is a fine line between "more difficult" and "punishing". I don't need/want the game to make it unfun to play, or just a chore to do anything, but I feel like with everything set to default, and using the natural progression of the game,.. the game gets too easy.

Disable the drone, 100% (aka don't use it). There are a number of missions that you can 'complete' by flying your drone in and blowing something up remotely. While this *IS COOL*, and adds to the 'fun' factor when you figure out you can do it.. by the 4th or 5th mission like that, you don't even bother to infiltrate the base because you know you can just sit outside and blow it remotely. So by giving you more options, they're actually taking away a decent chunk of game play you'd otherwise get. Also, by using the drone to literally scour every inch of the base, you can mark everyone and know exactly what you're getting into. This is also fine, and I found a lot of enjoyment from doing this on my first play through. Very tactical. Marking and eliminating everyone. However, to create more of a challenge.. disable the drone completely, and just use binoc's and human recon. It is MUCH more of a challenge (and, frankly, much more exciting) to sneak into a base knowing you don't know 100% where everyone is. This makes having a spotter actually helpful, and turning the corner and running into an unmarked enemy is exhilarating. Combine this with the other "limitations" for a really tense, yet completely playable, experience. There are a few missions where you technically need to use the drone to complete the mission (spying on the guy, some tailing ones). I wish there was a way around it, but it is what it is.

I also disable the Mini-map. It is very helpful, especially while driving, but it also shows you everything. I prefer the "Advanced" difficulty, as it feels the most 'fair', especially in situations where the AI has perfect vision and the player does not (foliage, night, etc). On Advanced you still get the little unit notifications on the mini-map, which feels like cheating. You can switch to the main map pretty quickly, so getting your bearings isn't too difficult, easier still if you're playing co-op and have someone who can help direct you while driving. The free'd up screen real estate is also a plus.

Limiting Skills is the "big one" and also the only one that requires you to start a new character, as it's currently impossible to reset your selected skills. The benefit from this is that it is (A) integrated into the game and (B) makes it so you don't have the 'pretend' or purposefully not use something. As long as you don't unlock it, you can't accidentally use it! The big ones are:

* Limiting ammo to two points, so you actually run out of ammo occasionally.
* No Advanced Suppressor (or using suppressors at all! May be a perk of a class)
* No Grenade Launcher (Class Weapon)
* Limited Equipment (No Mines, Flashbangs, C4, etc - Class Specific)
* Limited Vehicle Destruction (One bar)
* Limited Car & Air Shield
* Limited Detection Resistance & Quiet Running
* Limited Binocular Recon + Zoom
* Limited Endurance

By restricting some of the skills, most players will not get the "Elite" skills either, which is fine.

Playing this way tends to make you play differently than you normally would, which opens up "new experiences" which is another main goal. Using the situation above, when you sneak into a base and run into someone, normally I'd just shoot them (with my suppressed weapon).. but now.. no suppressors! And with limited detection resistance and limited quiet running, I get noticed a lot easier. I now have to play to take out the enemies with melee attacks at close range, and/or grab them and drag them around a corner to kill them so the bodies don't get spotted. Just adds a little more tension to an already existing mission type.

Second Goal: Role Play

This is actually less important, at least initially, but is a fun side project. We came up with the idea of doing everything as "mid-90's" soldiers. So you're only using 90's camo. weapons available in the 90's, tech from the 90's etc. Again, this 'limits' you in certain ways, and forces you to use stuff you may not be used to using. This is also a good reason not to have handheld super drones. The period specific camo is also fun. Classes/etc can be combined with this, but not required. As it is, we're basically mostly playing without the class perks. I think Beow spec'd as a Point Man, so he gets to rock a Shotgun w/ Flash bangs. I'm more or less playing a standard soldier, with a M14 and compact MP5 as a backup.

Again with the role play, a lot depends on how many people you have playing with you, as we planned for specific "Combat Medic" rules, but if no one is there to play a combat medic, the rules change. i.e. if there is a combat medic, that person is the only one who can revive 'in combat', everyone else must wait until combat is over to revive people. However, if there are only 2 people playing, then it's not really practical to use this rule, so you use normal revive rules.

I dunno, it's fun. I'd love to try it with 4 people and see how it works. It works really well with 2, since you have to cover each other a lot more, die a lot more often, but then have really really cool sequences where you take out a whole base without firing a shot.

So another disconnected DLC. What a backwards way to treat an already vast open world.

Are these extreme difficulty/No-HUD tweaks exclusive to this DLC?

Not sure. I'd hope we'd get some of the QoL improvements back in the main game.

Level cap is going to 35 as well, but not sure if that'll be implemented in the main game either (probably not since it uses DLC assets like the crossbow)

I can see it both ways.. as this DLC looks to be a proper "continuation" of the main story, you couldn't work this into the main game without ruining co-op compatibility (everything needs to stay the same in the world). Unless they used a part of the map that didn't have missions before (Monte Puncu?) or expanded the overall map, I'm not sure how they could do something like this while still maintaining the "do anything, whenever you want, in any order" compatibility from the first game.

Patch 4.0 is coming!

[All platforms] Maintenance on May 17th and 18th @9am UTC Hello Ghosts, tomorrow at 9am UTC for PC and this Thursday at 9am UTC for consoles, we will operate a 2h maintenance in order to update our servers for the upcoming Title Update 4.

We will publish our patch notes on the official website as soon as the patch is in effect tomorrow. In the meantime, we will update this thread regularly to let you know about the maintenance.

This maintenance will only impact online play. If you are already in game when the maintenance starts, your session will be set to offline mode so that you can still play the game solo with your 3 AI teammates.

Echo! (echo (echo (echo) echo) echo) echo)

https://ghost-recon.ubisoft.com/wil....aspx?c=tcm:154-290620-16&ct=tcm:154-76770-32

Patch 4.0 notes!

Looks like it's already live for PC, and goes into effect at 2AM tonight (Pacific) for consoles 9AM UTC on the 18th.

Title Update 4 draws much of its focus from player feedback, including several quality of life changes for co-op and solo play and a suite of new HUD and UI options. Co-op players will be able to alert their squad mates when dying, and tagged resource crates will be granted to every teammate in the collecting player's zone. Downed players will redeploy at the mission starting point, rather than at a random location in the world, and there is now a brief window of time to take down an alerted enemy before a stealth mission is failed.

THANK THE MAKER!

-The ”Markers" HUD option has been split into six distinct types of markers, each of which can be toggled on or off—"Objective markers", "communication markers" "enemy/rebels markers" "Item & location markers" "sync shot" "alert markers"

And so much more.

-Added in-game time & latitude/longitude information to the tacmap

Solid. SOLID update.

Looks like the Yeti is being added as part of the patch

Hah, crazy thought: I'd LOVE a random freakish monster to be loose in the world. Super tough motherfucker, with big scary teeth and a horrific roar. You could be chilling out as you plan an approach to a Unidad base up in the hills and then... YETI SMASH.

Totally incongruous with the rest of the game, but then this game is nuts anyway. More crazy please!

I am really looking forward to the new HUD options, group supplies gathering and the kingslayer video no longer playing everytime you boot the game.

I only have 2 more things Id like them to fix

1- Periodically cannot use drone or binoculars after flying in a helicopter. Seems to happen to the pilot more frequently than passengers

2- In Appearance Setup screens one or more of my customized Special Costumes are overwritten or duplicated periodically

Solid patch. Some decent quality of life improvements. Just need those heli rudder controls and that will be most complaints taken care off.

Now.. for PvP aspect of this game. They should just turn this into a Player Unkown Battlegrounds clone for PvP, or add that as a mode. This game and map are so perfectly suited for that.

Solid patch. Some decent quality of life improvements. Just need those heli rudder controls and that will be most complaints taken care off.

Now.. for PvP aspect of this game. They should just turn this into a Player Unkown Battlegrounds clone for PvP, or add that as a mode. This game and map are so perfectly suited for that.

I think it's pretty likely competitive will be on discrete maps, but given Ubi's predilection for servicing games these days, maybe one day.

It'd be so damn cool. Surely the really hard work for it is done already? Imagine 8 teams of 4 across that map... ohhhhhhhhhuuhghhhh. The game is already atmospheric as fuck, imagine being HUNTED. With proximity comms. In a storm. In the jungle. Red laser dots. Predator flashbacks...

Oh my christ give it to me Ubi. God damn do it now.

Top Bottom