• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan - Teasers for the new Amazon series

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Couple of teasers

The Reveal

Other teaser

Synopsis:

”Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan" follows an up-and-coming CIA analyst thrust into a dangerous field assignment for the first time. The series follows Ryan (Krasinski) as he uncovers a pattern in terrorist communication that launches him into the center of a dangerous gambit with a new breed of terrorism that threatens destruction on a global scale.

Some additional info since I totally forgot this was a thing.

Even though the new Amazon adaptation, ”Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan," uses the author's name in the title, it's more of a symbolic gesture than denoting strict adherence to the past. After all, the eight-episode series isn't based on any of Clancy's books. But it is inspired by the franchise's impressive past.

”It's an original story, so it's not an adaptation of any of the novels," director and executive producer Daniel Sackheim told IndieWire. ”But I think it's inspired in the same way as the Harrison Ford movies."

He also said they're working on a ”different kind of Jack Ryan," but one who adheres to many of the same characteristics brought to life by Ford in ”Patriot Games" and ”Clear and Present Danger."

”What was so great about the Harrison Ford movies was that they were about an everyman hero," Sackheim said. ”He was a guy who wasn't a superhero. He was heroic, but he was vulnerable. He wasn't afraid to be scared. He was a regular man and a hero."

This description ties directly to the character Clancy first created in ”The Hunt For Red October"; a man who worked as a civilian long before he accepted a job at the CIA.

”We very much lean into the notion of a guy who starts out as an analyst," Sackheim said. ”In the first episode, when we meet Jack Ryan, he's an analyst. He kind of discovers something and gets roped into participating in the field. Little by little by little, he becomes an operative. So the first season is really following the arc of a guy learning to be a CIA agent, or what the CIA calls an operative vs. an analyst."

ehh3.png
Had no idea Jim was in, color me interested.

gamma

Not gonna lie, I had to laugh when John Krasinski was "revealed". Not sure if he can pull this off.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Having recently read through the books for the first time recently I'm OK with them adapting the first few books. They're enjoyable espionage thrillers.

Clancy goes off the right wing cliff in the later books. It's not as noticeable in the first book, but once Jack get promoted a few times* he goes all in with the right-wing crazy agenda.

* =
He becomes President in the books

Harrison Ford beat him twice. :)

Baldwin was good in the role however.

I think Baldwin was better. Mostly because Ford has a much more impressive screen presence and it's tough to take him seriously as the every-man.

I feel like coming so close to being cast as Captain America was the worst thing for Krasinski. He was "this close" to being an action star, so you end up with him chasing that dragon in 13 Hours and glaring in these Jack Ryan trailers.

They keep trying to get this property off the ground but... oh well I'm in. I've only read Clear and Present Danger but I don't see why we need a third go on this property.

It could have been a good idea considering Clancy was best (or least batshit crazy) when Russians were the bad guys, but I guess they went into production too soon.

hydruxo

Not gonna lie, I had to laugh when John Krasinski was "revealed". Not sure if he can pull this off.

Yeah I don't know if I can buy Krasinski in this role. I know he had a similar role in 13 Hours but idk. I'm skeptical for now.

Two dude's names together. It's pretty dumb. I get it, the pull is Clancy's stuff, buuuut.

I mean, that's literally the name though. It says 'Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan' on the logo at the end of the teasers.

Javier23

Banned
Haven't seen him in 13 Hours, but dude's a talented actor. He's supposed to be a professional at pretending to be other people. I'm definitely giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Sean C

Attempts to make Jack Ryan a franchise beyond the existing novels have never worked, because Ryan isn't an intrinsically interesting character. What was compelling was the early stories that Clancy wrote for him (and indeed, the best of them all, the first, was as much about Ramius).

spanks

Can't wait to see Jim Krasinski's Jack Ryan's Tom Calancy!
No wait, I mean John Krasinski's Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan!

Kin5290

John Krasinski must be miffed that his wife plays more of a badass than he does.

Why is this necessary? Jesus. (Also, Jack Ryan never was the asskicker!)

KonradLaw

It's a shame that various licenses likely mean we'll never get just pure Clancyverse show. Imagine a series that combined various Clancy properties, one where you would have Ryan, Clarke and Fisher all star as regulars.

Still, will watch. Amazon has been delivering pretty consistently great shows, even if a lot of them are under the radar. This seems far more mainstream that what they're usually offering, so it will be interesting to see how it ends up

Top Bottom