• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege (Ubisoft Montreal, PC/PS4/XB1, Realblast Engine, 2015)

The tactical stuff looks very impressive. A couple of complaints:

1) The weapons seem to have no recoil at all.
2) The players take forever today. What makes these tactical shooters amazing is how fast you can get yourself killed. A small mistake and you are done!

I am hyped.

Ryan M. from IGN said you could die extremely quickly like old school tactical games. He played it.

Recall

Loxley

They say the same thing with all games. Watch dogs demo played differently to the finished game, hell even Kinect steel battalion played flawlessly when shown to the press, the finished game was bullshit.

I believe nothing until the game is out.

The point it is that what Ubi showed at their press conference wasn't smoke and mirrors trickery or CG like many in this thread were claiming. Anyway, Jeff at Giant Bomb played it himself (he starts talking about it around 11:13 in this video) and said it was super impressive. Which is worth pointing out since he was calling bullshit on the demo while watch the Ubi conference.

And again, I have yet to see anything in what we've seen of the game so far that cannot conceivably be pulled off on modern hardware. I'm surprised so many people are pointing out the animations as being evidence that this is fake - considering what devs like Valve and Naughty Dog have been able to do with real-time animations in their games on old tech. As a side note, apparently Siege is running on the Assassin's Creed engine.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Man, this thread is cynical. I saw the video and fell in love with the game. Got genuinely excited for blowing up walls and ceilings to add a new level of strategy. I feel like that's a concept that has been heavily ignored since Red Faction Guerrilla.

Then came in here and got pulled back to a state of feeling empty.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Man, this thread is cynical. I saw the video and fell in love with the game. Got genuinely excited for blowing up walls and ceilings to add a new level of strategy. I feel like that's a concept that has been heavily ignored since Red Faction Guerrilla.

wSvoup5.gif

IISANDERII

I was a bit sceptical too but Jeff Gerstman checked out the game firsthand and came away impressed.

Game could be great, only thing I'm actually excited about from E3.

May I say that this looks to be the best team tactical if it meets expectations. With proper balance, fun weapons/traps, and a variety of maps, then it will be my favorite multiplayer game.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

You want to see cynical, check out The Order E3 thread. E3 does it to people sometimes.

Massa

I thought the demo was fantastic. I can't wait to see more.

During the IGN commentary they mention Ubi calling for it in 2015. So Q4 2015 at the earliest?

No way. The Division might come out next year, this won't come out before 2016 I'd bet.

Edit: eh, it was on the show floor? Scratch what I said then.

I'm so conflicted on this game. I love the destructible environment actually playing a role, the tactics look sounds, and it's just nice to see a classic rainbow 6 back.

But they canceled the most interesting game concept I've seen in years. Also everyone was laughing when you hold the hostage in front of you. It's just such a step back, I feel really conflicted.

libi

Neo Member
New gameplay from the show floor from Gametrailers.

Looks great. Also, the some of hostage's animations are slightly less smooth this time around, particularly when she first notices the SWAT camera. It's not jarring, but if anything it goes to show that it's not so unbelievably good to the point where it must be fake.

I think this also shows, that with the right crew in this kind of game, comms can be solid without any scripting. (not arguing that they weren't cringe worthy in the reveal though)

Espi

Banned
nothing there really seems unbelievable outside the way the hostage reacts. Up until this point I've never seen an NPC react that well to their surroundings. They don't even react that well to scripted AI, I just can't see it being that good with unscripted AI.

klodeckel

Banned
For me personally, this is the game of the show! Finally a shooter where you need to actually think about what you do next.

It's been a while since I played a Rainbow Six game. I didn't play much of Vegas and Vegas 2 during last gen, but I did play a hell of a lot of Rainbow Six 3: Black Arrow on Xbox. Siege looks pretty badass, it reminds me a lot of the intense close encounters from the older Rainbow Six games mixed with Counter-Strike (which isn't a bad thing) with a hint of Battlefield's destructibility added in. Can't wait.

SkylineRKR

What I saw was the game of the show, but its Ubisoft.

The GT footage however looks rather genuine. Graphically it doesn't seem to look too far fetched and its out next year.

Halo 2

Banned
For me personally, this is the game of the show! Finally a shooter where you need to actually think about what you do next.

This is what I loved about Vegas.
So many games with legitimate teamwork experiences compared to matchmaking in something like cod or BF.

Will Rainbow Six: Siege be a MP focused (only) game ?!, I'm getting that feeling from it, and I can't find anywhere confirmation or denies of that.

It feels like if there is going to be a SP, it will be just an after thought.

Loxley

Will Rainbow Six: Siege be a MP focused (only) game ?!, I'm getting that feeling from it, and I can't find anywhere confirmation or denies of that.

It feels like if there is going to be a SP, it will be just an after thought.

I believe they've confirmed it will have SP as well as co-op.

Gaz_RB

nothing there really seems unbelievable outside the way the hostage reacts. Up until this point I've never seen an NPC react that well to their surroundings. They don't even react that well to scripted AI, I just can't see it being that good with unscripted AI.

Have you seen the GT off screen stuff? She does the same things she does in the demonstration.

Mman235

This is probably the biggest pleasant surprise of E3 for me. There are games I'm much more hyped for, and as a modern AAA shooter I don't doubt this will be pretty simplified, but it has put RS back on the radar after I've stopped giving a shit about it, and it's nice to see someone at least attempting a squad-based tactical shooter.

Dranakin

I remember playing Rogue Spear for hours on end, restarting stages if one of my guys died. I'm hyped for this game.

But yeah, I don't have many friends who play video games, so I fear the level of discourse in my ear when playing public matches.

todahawk

I remember playing Rogue Spear for hours on end, restarting stages if one of my guys died. I'm hyped for this game.

But yeah, I don't have many friends who play video games, so I fear the level of discourse in my ear when playing public matches.

I wouldn't worry to much, if I play BF4 without PS4GAF the random pubs are almost always silent. Rarely do I hear a word.

Loxley

Is this mentioned somewhere in particular? I'm more a campaign person myself, so I'd be interested in knowing if it has an SP mode.

A few outlets have reported on it, but here's Eurogamer's piece:

The controversial Rainbow Six Patriots, a project that first broke cover some three years ago, is no more, with an all-new series entry called Rainbow Six Siege taking its place within Ubisoft Montreal.

Development on the new project started 18 months ago, with a focus being placed on asymmetrical multiplayer. The core concept sees two teams of five facing off against each other in a quick succession of six three-minute matches, with each taking turns to play as the attacking and defending teams.

As the attacking team, players look to breach rooms and take down opposing players, with the quick-fire nature of the game meaning there are no respawns.

As the defending team, players have to fortify rooms and set up traps for their opponents. Unifying the two teams is a procedural destruction system in which you can breach any door, wall or window. It's all being built within Ubisoft's Anvil engine for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC, with a release loosely scheduled for 2015.

Although the focus is on the multiplayer right now, Ubisoft Montreal says it will take those systems and build them out for a single-player experience, and Rainbox Six Siege will be a full-priced release.

Rainbow Six Patriots had a rocky time in its development, briefly emerging late in 2011 with a controversial take on extremism in the United States.

IGN has an interesting article about it as well, this quote in particular should make a lot of people happy:

Where Patriots relied on cutscenes, quick-time events, and explosive set-pieces, Rainbow Six Siege leans more on its online innovation to fuel its story.

"We were tired of single-player, scripted military missions where things appear triggered by player presence," Ubisoft Montreal creative VP Lionel Raynaud told IGN. "We want to refresh that. We want the same level of intensity and surprise scripted scenes used to have, but within a multiplayer game."

To that end, campaign missions can be played in any order, akin to Mega Man's open-ended level selection. Renaud said, "The way you play the missions is open, you choose the order. It’s dynamic, meaning we will bring new content as players play the mission." He did not elaborate on what that dynamism entailed, but it's likely that the environmental destruction -- which affects multiplayer level navigation and player line of sight -- will play an important role in solo sieges.

TCRS

Banned
Now that I'm unbanned I can finally express my joy and happiness at this news and the gameplay videos. Finally a Tom Clancy game that Ubi hasn't fucked up (so far anyway). I was like this during the whole presentation:

tumblr_maiqz3oeJq1qlmstso1_1280.jpg

Guess what my nick stands for :p that's how much I love this series and have been waiting for a new one.

Now that I'm unbanned I can finally express my joy and happiness at this news and the gameplay videos. Finally a Tom Clancy game that Ubi hasn't fucked up (so far anyway). I was like this during the whole presentation:

Guess what my nick stands for :p that's how much I love this series and have been waiting for a new one.
I agree completely

If it indeed began development 1.5 years ago and possibly cannibalized work done prior for Patriots, then it seem the game is well into development and a 2015 release is plausible.

Tennessee Consolidated Retirement System?

Halo 2

Banned

This was my exact reaction 100%

Top Bottom