• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Henderson: Assassin's Creed Red is fully playable and it's coming out in 2024

Draugoth

Gold Member
assassins-creed-codename-red.png

It’s understood that Assassin’s Creed Red currently has a tentative release date of Holiday 2024 according to Tom Henderson/Insider Gaming sources and that the game is fully playable.

Tom Henderson doesn't say an exact date, just a 2024 holiday window, but he makes it very clear that the game may experience internal delays, so the date could change.

Additionally, Assassin's Creed Red will feature two playable characters, one a male samurai and a female shinobi. The samurai is described as an African refugee who learned the way of brotherhood, being based on Yasuke, the first African samurai to serve in Japan in the late 16th century. In the game he must rely on a lot of brute strength.

Details on the female shinobi are unknown and there are still no details on whether she was based on any real-life characters, but she will be quite agile compared to the Samurai. Both characters will have exclusive characteristics and weapons.

Tom Henderson closes by stating that Assassin's Creed Red will have a heavy focus on stealth, with elements based on the Splinter Cell franchise, such as hiding in the shadows and so on.

Also, the game will feature a destructible envirioments, you can literally break anything, but it won't be on the same level as Battlefield.

Sleepwalker

It's interesting how we hate that games in some franchises take 5 years to make and we also hate that new games in a franchise release every year.
Theyre perfectly serviceable games too, origins was great, odyssey was good, theres a good game amidst all the bloat in valhalla but its just too damn much.

Hopefully red is more focused, I will be giving it a chance for sure.

EDMIX

This is some production line thing Ubisoft has got going.

Hearing about the next AC before the new one is even released.

I mean...ok, but they are done by 2 completely different teams.

As in, the team making the AC coming out this year, isn't making AC Red or something.

It's interesting how we hate that games in some franchises take 5 years to make and we also hate that new games in a franchise release every year.
Truth

Its funny cause AC Mirage was delayed and AC Red coming 2024 would be the first time in years that the AC series has released back to back.

So to their credit, the teams Ubisoft has are able to make some amazing shit in the time frames they put out games in that 3 to 4 year window, we've seen some shit where it would be in development for 8 or 9 years and release with issues, so clearly they have something going correct there.

Looking at AC Valhalla in terms of how they have the NPCs following, taking orders, fighting with you etc or even the animations, years later when I'm playing other games, I realize that they did much more things correct then wrong with those titles compared to other teams and maybe gamers tend to exaggerate a bit much when it comes to this IP.

Some of those games are doing shit we are asking other games to do that are taking longer, maybe Ubisoft indeed is that good that they can do it in a shorter window while having more function.

food for thought anyway.

An African refugee in JAPAN in the 16 CENTURY.

I literally almost died in the middle of the night from laughing so hard.

Oh Ubisoft............................................
Indeed, Yasuke is real and has been in many other games. But for the AC series, while always having historical figures as supportive characters, the protagonists are so far all fictional. So it's gonna be a fictional African samurai, well, not that it's bad or anything, it's just out of so many captivating settings, they had to go this way...
But anyway, I never buy any Ubi games at full price.
Episode 2 Whatever GIF

Mr.Phoenix

Indeed, Yasuke is real and has been in many other games. But for the AC series, while always having historical figures as supportive characters, the protagonists are so far all fictional. So it's gonna be a fictional African samurai, well, not that it's bad or anything, it's just out of so many captivating settings, they had to go this way...
But anyway, I never buy any Ubi games at full price.
Episode 2 Whatever GIF
I say let them have at it. People need to relax, its like everyone wants to make games more serious than they need to be. If they want to put in an African sumo wrestler in there, I say they should. Gaming is pretty much the only medium where you can get away with stuff like that. We should embrace it.

Xtib81

Hope it's a substantial revamp, they really need to shake up the formula.

Last edited:

EDMIX

AC Japan I’m in.

Skipped Valhalla completely, loved Odyssey though.

I'm loving Valhalla, but will play Odyssey after lol They do such a great job with those worlds, the stories and side quest etc.
I hope it's developed for current gen, no more Xbox 1/PS4 outdated crap

To my understanding, last year they confirmed their teams working on those 3 AC titles will all be next gen ie PS5, Series X PC etc.

"While Mirage is a return to the franchise's roots, RED will return to the RPG genre that has defined its second period. But how will it evolve, seeing as it's camped firmly in Assassin's Creed's third period?

"I don't want to spoil too much of what our creative teams are working on," says Côté. "However, from a technological point of view, these are games that will benefit from a tremendous increase in fidelity with all the improvements that we're working on with this new iteration of the Anvil pipeline, so you can just imagine it being a very next-generation approach to RPGs, at least from a graphical-fidelity point of view. But it will take all the learnings that we've had from Odyssey and Valhalla to epitomize the best of what we can do at Ubisoft in terms of RPGs"

and

" Assassin's Creed Mirage will be the last cross-generation game. Starting with Assassin's Creed Codename RED, games will be built specifically for current-gen consoles"

So, to my understanding the next wave of their big AAA games will be current gen only.

Star Wars Outlaws only list PS5, Series X and PC. So seeing what they've done with AC Unity, Syndicate, Origins, Odyssey and Valhalla, they are going to be flexing some wild graphical muscle on those future AC titles (or really any of their big AAA titles)

SJRB

Gold Member
Yeah I'm not holding my breath for this one. When was the last time Ubi released a legit good AC game? Origins maybe, and even that is highly debatable.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

An African refugee in JAPAN in the 16 CENTURY.

I literally almost died in the middle of the night from laughing so hard.

Oh Ubisoft............................................
Look at it differently - they found a new way how to make more people pick the female character in their game. ;)

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
Ubisoft is doing what must be done. We live in a white washed world where we are only taught things that are right from a white person point of view. So let me tell you this.

Ancient Japanese were black. You may not like it. And it may not be the truth and you have evidence to back it up. But is it really worth losing your job over if you disagree with me?

Hope this particular one bombs so that I dont have to hear "ass creed japan when ?? "again for the rest of my life.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Sounds like the best AC game in years potentially. Will have to wait and see what it looks like.

Yasuke + female shinobi + destructible environments + Splinter Cell.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Hope this particular one bombs so that I dont have to hear "ass creed japan when ?? "again for the rest of my life.

nahhhh, this one is likely to break a fuck ton of records for them. People have been asking for one in Japan for ages and the fans of this IP will show up for that day 1 purchase.

Admittedly, I generally buy the games a year after or maybe 2 depending on sales and the last few I've played have been amazing, like to the point where I actually wish I got a few of them day 1. So this will be a day 1 buy for me and I'm sure many more.

If you are hoping less will buy the IP....lolz, you will be sorely mistaken.

nahhhh, this one is likely to break a fuck ton of records for them. People have been asking for one in Japan for ages and the fans of this IP will show up for that day 1 purchase.

Admittedly, I generally buy the games a year after or maybe 2 depending on sales and the last few I've played have been amazing, like to the point where I actually wish I got a few of them day 1. So this will be a day 1 buy for me and I'm sure many more.

If you are hoping less will buy the IP....lolz, you will be sorely mistaken.
i know, Im buying it too. Just a pain in the ass seeing people who dont play ac on the regular saying they want a Japan setting. Put your money where it matters plebs.

Top Bottom