• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Perkins' big idea: The rich should get more votes

Status
Not open for further replies.

M-PG71C

Don't they already do this indirectly, anyway?

Regardless, I fully agree. Damn poors wanting policies that affect them positively, like they mater anyway. They do not contribute to society nearly as much as I do. Know your betters.

entremet

I'm not a hate the rich people type of guy, but man some of them are so out of touch.

The political system is already swayed in their benefit because its mostly rich people that run for office, with a few exceptions.

Moreover, as history tells, the rich people make the rules. It's already slanted. Yes income tax is progressive, but many loopholes exist to circumvent it and tax shelters are abound. And let's not even get into capital gains.

Additionally, rich people get high quality services due to how municipal funding works. Better schools, safer neighborhoods, etc. They can also afford to contract private companies for the rest, unlike normal folk.

Rich children don't necessarily have a high achievement ceiling, it's just their floor is much highers than poor children. Poverty and academic achievement are highly correlated.

Like I said, I don't begrudge the ultra wealthy. A lot do great work like Bill Gates, but many just come off as out of touch completely due to their comfortable little bubbles.

Aegus

Bill Gates to nominate himself for president, buy all votes and immediately pass a law that says everyone with assets over $1 billion has to given all their cash to his foundation.

Acorn

Don't they already do this indirectly, anyway?

Regardless, I fully agree. Damn poors wanting policies that affect them positively, like they mater anyway. They do not contribute to society nearly as much as I do. Know your betters.
Yes, it's an old idea. Only the nobility voted for centuries here, then it was expanded to only land owners.

Zaptruder

Banned
Well... at least it would be a more transparent and honest system than the one we have now.

Not sure that it'd result in better outcomes - once even the pretenses of catering to the people are forgone, it'd move the dystopia needle up a few notches.

Carcetti

Hey I have a great idea too!

bO6fFy6.jpg

I think you're really on to something here. Seems so inefficient though. Can we get a motorized model with a conveyor belt first?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
This is almost as bad as the Nestle guy who thinks he should own water. These people are out of control.

I think it's funny how these guys don't learn from history, they always live in their closed off view of the world.

Don't they understand that a relationship needs a certain level of reciprocity? What do they think it's going to happen if things keep heading in the direction they are heading right now? Money won't save them from millions of people who will one day wake up moved by a message, and these guys will turn into "0 value".

They should worry about the consequences their grand sons and daughters will face once the mob brings the pitchforks.

Democracy - "rule of the people".

Not "rule of some people", not "Rule of the guy with the big wallet". Rule of the people.

We want money eliminated from politics at all levels, not introduced to it at a greater level.

Not saying I agree with him, but I understand where he is coming from. You can argue that through his tax money, he contributes more to society than a guy who doesn't have a job and more importantly, does not pay taxes to the Government.

Why is it that they both have the same political power (1 vote), whilst one individual is clearly more important to the overall health of society than the other.

Again, want to reiterate that I do not agree with him at all. Just trying to understand his thinking process.

daycru

Not saying I agree with him, but I understand where he is coming from. You can argue that through his tax money, he contributes more to society than a guy who doesn't have a job and more importantly, does not pay taxes to the Government.

Why is it that they both have the same political power (1 vote), whilst one individual is clearly more important to the overall health of society than the other.

Again, want to reiterate that I do not agree with him at all. Just trying to understand his thinking process.

They already own the politicians, do they need the entire process? Would that make it fair?

I would say teachers contribute more to society than his taxes and many teachers don't make much over 30k. Also, the wealthy are not the job creators, that would be the entrepreneurs and the middle class.

Actually, Adam Carolla suggested this system years ago, and it makes some sense. Now, it doesn't make sense that rich people get more votes on things like immigration or abortion, but on where their tax dollars are going? That seems fair.

Consider this scenario:

Tom Perkins and Self-righteous Gaffer are living together in an apartment. They go to the grocery store. Tom Perkins pays for 99% of the groceries and Self-righteous Gaffer pays for 1% of the groceries. Should Self-righteous Gaffer really get to choose 50% of the food? That doesn't seem fair.

MrChom

His process is understandable but by that logic corporations should have votes and that is quite potentially the most disastrous thing I could imagine.

It's empty headed thinking, the kind that leads to things isolated leaderships recycling their kids into generations of government because they basically own everything.

Boy what is with the 1% and their supporters coming out of the wood works and making offensive remarks every day these past couple of weeks. What triggered this

Agnostic

but believes in Chael
Actually, Adam Carolla suggested this system years ago, and it makes some sense. Now, it doesn't make sense that rich people get more votes on things like immigration or abortion, but on where their tax dollars are going? That seems fair.

Consider this scenario:

Tom Perkins and Self-righteous Gaffer are living together in an apartment. They go to the grocery store. Tom Perkins pays for 99% of the groceries and Self-righteous Gaffer pays for 1% of the groceries. Should Self-righteous Gaffer really get to choose 50% of the food? That doesn't seem fair.
I would love to see every individual dictate where their tax dollars went. It would be the fastest downfall of an empire in the modern times. Complete anarchy.

They pretty much already do with the way they've worked to push voter ID laws and other similar laws to prevent the less fortunate from registering and actually voting in elections.

Leunam

Goodbye social services.

Ahasverus

What a roll, 1℅. Kinda funny that the richest man over all these stupid cunts is the biggest humanist and philantropic of the century. And is still richer. Suck it, cunts.

I would be perfectly fine if each tax bracket got you one more vote. In the grand scheme of things it won't do much as lower income people greatly outnumber higher income people. But that's just my opinion, feel free to hate.

But everyone pays taxes so everyone gets to vote.

Not even going to acknowledge the last bit.

Not in Canada. Not by a long shot. In that sense I agree with the first part of his sentiment, even if it's not directed towards Canada. I won't dignify the other part with a response. Having said that, the idea that corporations (ie. Small businesses) should also get a vote is not something I'm opposed to either, as a small business operator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom