• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider 1-3 Remastered Has Made $2 Million On Steam, Selling 82,000 Units

Draugoth

Gold Member
Tomb-Raider-1-3-Remastered-1.jpg

• Tomb Raider Remastered 1-3 is a mega-pack full of content for OG Tomb Raider fans.
  • The remastered bundle has been tracked to sell over 82,000 units and generate $2 million on Steam.
  • It has been less than two weeks since the set of games came out on multiple platforms across the board.
Tomb-Raider-1-3s-Performance-on-Steam-at-a-Glance.jpg

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
$2,459,180…so where did the other $459,180 go based on the math? Or is the 2mil already counting the subtracted Steam fees? Either way, it’s still off by a little bit. But I understand game companies be rounding up or down a couple hundred thousand sometimes lol

Last edited:
I think there was a patch last night, or some random update file, but no information on it. Waiting for one of their major patches to fix issues. Im almost finished with TR1

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
It does sound like it is american dollars, what i meant was that it could have sold for less or more money in certain countries.
Oh shit…..yea, that actually makes sense lol.

Seriously the logical response I was looking for because I was confused, but that makes complete sense.

Last edited:

fatmarco

I do hope this sells well.

Outside of some generally bad stuff with the Modern Controls schemes including the sometimes broken camera and the complete lack of essential movements that require you to often switch back to Original controls just to even make progress, I've been really enjoying it.

Gamerguy84

I bought it on PS5. I love it. Has that classic gameplay, locations, sound effects, etc...

Then it has upgraded textures and modern controls that feel natural. At any point though you push one button and it switches over to original textures and lighting. I'm having fun going back and forth.

This collection was done really well and worth the money.

Madflavor

What's the source? not even 100k on pc is incredibly depressing.

That’s for Steam. This isn’t counting GoG sales.

With sales like that they're definitely not doing any more of these

These are the sales figures for just 1 of the 6 platforms it sold on. It’s also on the Switch, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, and the Xbox Series S/X. We’re also talking about a Remaster of a 25 year old game that didn’t cost much to develop, and also didn’t have much of a marketing campaign behind it.

If we count GoG it’s likely around 100k for PC alone. All things considered it’s doing quite well it seems.

Last edited:

TheBomb

Sounds low? I guess if you grew up in that time, like myself you would by it to live through it again. It’s also amazing it’s also digital with markets all over the world?

kunonabi

I mean PC has had easy access to these games with all kinds of mods and improvements for years so the demand isn't going to super high. I'd expect it to be selling super well on console instead.

Zuzu

I saw that it’s in the top sellers list in the Xbox store. I hope the overall numbers are good.

Puscifer

That’s for Steam. This isn’t counting GoG sales.

These are the sales figures for just 1 of the 6 platforms it sold on. It’s also on the Switch, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, and the Xbox Series S/X. We’re also talking about a Remaster of a 25 year old game that didn’t cost much to develop, and also didn’t have much of a marketing campaign behind it.

If we count GoG it’s likely around 100k for PC alone. All things considered it’s doing quite well it seems.
Also just to add, it's also competing against stuff like OpenLara, if people really wanted a remastered Tomb Raider on PC it's been available for quite some time if we're being totally honest.

Sounds incredibly low for such an iconic franchise.
The reboot trilogy (2013/Rise/Shadow) underperformed expectations which is one reason why Square Enix sold their entire Western studio division to Embracer. Tomb Raider just isn't a franchise which has ever expanded beyond it's original fan base.

Last edited:

Dazraell

Perhaps the warning about the game being dangerous and racist put people off it,lol.
Some probably did, but I think it's probably just a case of this being a remaster of games released in late 90s. These never sell gangbusters and I don't think they expected it to be a system seller either. This was probably a project with a very low budget that was intended to restore classics which otherwise were sitting in Embracer's vault

Madflavor

There doesn't seem to be any reliable source. If this is an accurate reading on sales, then I'd say this is definitely a win. Nobody in the right mind should be judging these numbers with the same standards as they would a AAA game. This is a low cost Remaster, with fan involvement, of a 25+ year old game with dated controls. Not to mention it had a pretty quiet marketing campaign. It was never going to make sales in the millions in it's first week.

But let's assume this 82,000 number is accurate. That's 82k for Steam alone. This doesn't count other outlets like GoG.com or the Epic Games Store. So if this number is accurate, the sales figures for the PC version alone have probably cracked 100k. Those are good numbers for a game like this. This Remaster launched on 6 different platforms, including PC. As people have mentioned earlier, it's shown up on the Best Sellers chart for Xbox and the Nintendo Eshop.

The reboot trilogy (2013/Rise/Shadow) underperformed expectations which is one reason why Square Enix sold their entire Western studio division to Embracer. Tomb Raider just isn't a franchise which has ever expanded beyond it's original fan base.

It's worth noting that the Reboot Trilogy "Underperformed" because SquareEnix are fucking retarded with their expectations. It was reported by Embracer in mid 2022 that the entire franchise has sold 88 million units, and 43% of that was from the Reboot Trilogy. It absolutely was a franchise that expanded beyond it's OG fanbase.

We're getting a Netflix Series this year, we just got the Remastered OG Trilogy, Amazon is working on a live action show ( which will probably be terrible), and CD are currently working on the next big game. Tomb Raider is very much alive and well.

Might be out of the loop but where are these numbers coming from? Did SteamSpy finally get it together and get some reliable numbers going again?*

* A man can dream.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Not bad when you stop and consider PC has always had access to these games for $1-$2, with loads of modding capabilities.

For console players this was their first chance to replay these games in ages.

violence

You could argue those posters weren’t exactly lore friendly. However there was a T-Rex in the game, so I’m inclined to believe this is more modern gaming nonsense.

It would’ve been funny to keep it pixelated

Last edited:

YCoCg

I'm wondering if the modders who worked on this are still working on this or if it was a one and done? Newer patches seem to be getting rid of easter eggs, including ones they left behind.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Curious how these hold up. I tried one when I was very young and got stuck right away.

rkofan87

Gold Member
I'm wondering if the modders who worked on this are still working on this or if it was a one and done? Newer patches seem to be getting rid of easter eggs, including ones they left behind.
that is cucks over at cd ordering that its sad

Top Bottom