• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Game Informer details

- You'll be able to air steer, direction control, speed her up/down during jumps.

dang! Some matrix shit happening up in this bitch.

trinity.jpg

lucius

Well this does sound good so my view is changing to more positive towards the game, want to see actual gameplay, I have doubts about how smooth technically the game will run in the end. Seems like I have been down this road so many times with this series with the promises and it started even before Crystal Dynamics, so it is only natural to be skeptical about the series at this point even with a reboot. The new look of Lara is defenitely a positive not sure about that voice actor though.

WhyMe6

I really liked the direction the trailer took in terms of realism, but the part that most excited me was the hunting. Sounds like this really is fairly open, which means I am now anticipating this game massively.

We said the game looked like a poor man's Uncharted and I'm sticking to that till I see more gameplay.

Nope, sorry, you're wrong. Game Informer told us the game will be semi-open, and you must believe it despite no footage and numerous devs lying about games pre-release in the past. Eat crow, we win, you lose, we feel better about ourselves, you should feel bad, we win.

Did I mention we win? Cause we did. Game Informer told me so.

LOL I can't believe I have never played a Tomb Raider game before after all these years. I guess this will be the first, as it sounds pretty cool.

The nonlinear platforming sounds like shit to me. My favorite aspect of previous Tomb Raider games is trying to figure out how to reach my destination. If this game is like Assassin's Creed, where there are a million ways to traverse from point A to B, I'm going to be very disappointed.

ArjanN

LOL I can't believe I have never played a Tomb Raider game before after all these years. I guess this will be the first, as it sounds pretty cool.

Go back and try Anniversary and Guardian of Light. There's demos for both of them.

You can thank me later.

DR2K

Banned
Nope, sorry, you're wrong. Game Informer told us the game will be semi-open, and you must believe it despite no footage and numerous devs lying about games pre-release in the past. Eat crow, we win, you lose, we feel better about ourselves, you should feel bad, we win.

Did I mention we win? Cause we did. Game Informer told me so.

The trailer mostly featured cutscenes and the GI mag said it would be open ended. Wwhat logical deduction can we make of this?

^Crystal Dynamics have been saying for ages that they plan to show Open enviroments and combat at E3 this year. So hang on.

Can Lara climb trees? Have they said anything like that?

They addressed that in their recently monthly Q&A or their podcasts (can't remember exactly), but it was mentioned that you cannot climb tree's it's just a contextual cutscene - a one time thing.

The very first concept arts that leaked few years ago (when the game wasn't even announced) were showing them. It's a Tomb Raider game, so it's not really weird that at some point in the game
super-natural things
appear ;)

Nope, those concepts of the
monsters
were announced to have been scrapped, alongside the horse idea for the game.

Cerberus

They addressed that in their recently monthly Q&A or their podcasts (can't remember exactly), but it was mentioned that you cannot climb tree's it's just a contextual cutscene - a one time thing.

That's disappointing. I was hoping Lara could climb specifically designated trees, like the trees with vines in MGS3.

Kikujiro

That the trailer was shit, like most of us were saying.

The majority of people (like more than 90% if you look at gametrailers' and youtube's ratings) loved the trailer, it was shit for you and some other people.

But I know waiting one or two days for more news about the game is asking too much, you already decided the game will be a scripted wannabe Uncharted after watching a 3 minutes trailer that was obviously edited to be spectacular, cinematic and casual viewers catching (and they do this because it works).

rouken

The trailer mostly featured cutscenes and the GI mag said it would be open ended. Wwhat logical deduction can we make of this?

that to make a trailer more exciting to its viewers they have to put action QTE scenes in it. we should really expect that, and wait for the gameplay videos to come up. i think they are demoing it at MS conference.

- You'll be able to air steer, direction control, speed her up/down during jumpsdescribed as non-linear hub spaces that you can come back to at different times of day.

- The context-sensitive actions are one-off sequences. For example, the scene with Lara stabbing the wolf is only going to happen once in the game. They say that if you do it right the first time it'll have an impact.
Cool so that's not QTE fest, like the previous Lara you will always be in control of her, but time may get slowed down to give the player an advantage for high action set pieces. I dig the reward for getting stuff right, but it depends how much it punishes the player for not getting it right to me.

- The game has an XP system. You'll be able to use this for upgrading Lara's abilities. You'll also have to scavenge for materials to upgrade Lara's equipment

- The base camps will allow you to upgrade Lara's abilities, improve your equipment and fast travel to other base camps that you've visited on the island

- Early on you'll only have a few options to upgrade Lara, such as giving her the ability to carry additional arrows for her bow or increasing the speed that she's able to shoot the arrows. As you continue the system will open up and allow you to shape her abilities to your playstyle.
All of this sounds TERRIBLE. The scavenging could be good, however- but I'm sceptical. Should upgrading weapons be a tent pole feature of a game where you're meant to be raiding Tombs/surviving. Hoping for a peaceful/no kill option.

- "There is linearity to the story - you have to go from point A to point B - but there's junctions in between where we want the player to feel like they're real explorers." These are described as non-linear hub spaces that you can come back to at different times of day.
If the illusion is good, this makes me happy.

Many were saying that it is a linear uncharted clone. They basically claimed that they know everything about the game by watching a three minute long trailer. That's how it is.

Of course. If you show a trailer, people will draw conclusions and the uncharted clone one was spot on.

Looks like that may change. However the game seems to have changed direction a couple of times already. There is still a long way to go, so could be a kart racer in the end for all we know.

patapuf

Of course. If you show a trailer, people will draw conclusions and the uncharted clone one was spot on.

Looks like that may change. However the game seems to have changed direction a couple of times already. There is still a long way to go, so could be a kart racer in the end for all we know.

They have said it was semi open world since the game was unveiled.

drawing conclusion from trailers made to generate hype is pointless, they never represent gameplay because sadly, it works better to show off nonstop action.

And hype in a game mag is sacred and beyond question? I think people are believing what they want to believe.

The trailer clearly shows an uncharted style game. It isn' about drawing conclusions, just calling it as it is. Does it mean it *is* uncharted? No. Does it mean it could be? Yes. They have said it was open world, they also said no more wacky side kicks. The trailer shows three.

If there is more to it than that, I will believe it when I see it. I hope to see it in the next couple of days.

1-D_FTW

I don't know if I'd say shit, just marketing. Of a really expensive game. It's absolutely ridiculous for anyone to expect a trailer to be of Laura running aimlessly in circles for 3 minutes trying to solve a puzzle. Completely naive really. Trailers (and even e3 demos) have to be cut a certain way. We live in an ADD world and that's just the reality of things.

Myriadis

And hype in a game mag is sacred and beyond question? I think people are believing what they want to believe.

Of course not, even though they and, you know, the guys who are actually developing the game, have more credibility than some random NeoGaf users. But as you said it, it maybe will be more clear at E3 and especially when we actually got to play the game.

Actually, the majority liked the trailer. It just didn't do justice for the game by showing action sequences to captivate a new audience.

The majority of people (like more than 90% if you look at gametrailers' and youtube's ratings) loved the trailer, it was shit for you and some other people.

But I know waiting one or two days for more news about the game is asking too much, you already decided the game will be a scripted wannabe Uncharted after watching a 3 minutes trailer that was obviously edited to be spectacular, cinematic and casual viewers catching (and they do this because it works).

Exactly.

~50% of GAF claimed in TR Trailer thread that the game will be linear Uncharted clone... They were wrong.

Not claimed, feared.
And with that trailer it looked exactly like a female version of Uncharted.
So it would be weird not to fear that if you are a fan of Tomb Raider gameplay.

If anything, your post is pretty weird.

I really liked the direction the trailer took in terms of realism, but the part that most excited me was the hunting. Sounds like this really is fairly open, which means I am now anticipating this game massively.

Yep, fully agree with this. Bring on the gameplay from E3!

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
- Don't expect much of the old linear platforming formula. "We're now giving the player the opportunity to go into a space and choose their own path. Where we take you across the ledge of the B-52 bomber, that's a tutorial. Once you move away from the plane, everything is basically open, dynamic traversal where the player has the freedom to roam around a jump from location to location with ease..."

- You'll be able to air steer, direction control, speed her up/down during jumps

- The game has an XP system. You'll be able to use this for upgrading Lara's abilities. You'll also have to scavenge for materials to upgrade Lara's equipment

- The base camps will allow you to upgrade Lara's abilities, improve your equipment and fast travel to other base camps that you've visited on the island

- Early on you'll only have a few options to upgrade Lara, such as giving her the ability to carry additional arrows for her bow or increasing the speed that she's able to shoot the arrows. As you continue the system will open up and allow you to shape her abilities to your playstyle.

- The context-sensitive actions are one-off sequences. For example, the scene with Lara stabbing the wolf is only going to happen once in the game. They say that if you do it right the first time it'll have an impact.

- "There is linearity to the story - you have to go from point A to point B - but there's junctions in between where we want the player to feel like they're real explorers." These are described as non-linear hub spaces that you can come back to at different times of day.
Yep. Sounds like an Uncharted clone alright.

patapuf

The trailer clearly shows an uncharted style game. It isn' about drawing conclusions, just calling it as it is. Does it mean it *is* uncharted? No. Does it mean it could be? Yes. They have said it was open world, they also said no more wacky side kicks. The trailer shows three.

If there is more to it than that, I will believe it when I see it. I hope to see it in the next couple of days.

no, it's about not jumping to conclusions. CD did tomb raider in the past and they said the game would take a metroid style semi open approach in progression. That's very far away from uncharted.

and yes i'm more inclined to believe those words than a 3 minute hype trailer for E3 that consisted of only cutscenes. Wich was the last trailer for a game that represented the gameplay accurately?

XOMTOR

no, it's about not jumping to conclusions. CD did tomb raider in the past and they said the game would take a metroid style semi open approach in progression. That's very far away from uncharted.

and yes i'm more inclined to believe those words than a 3 minute hype trailer for E3 that consisted of only cutscenes. Wich was the last trailer for a game that represented the gameplay accurately?

I'd say TR fans are justified in their skepticism. Crystal already attempted to "reboot" the franchise once with Legend and while it did okay, it was still not a very good Tomb Raider game. Far too easy, linear, too much action, simplistic puzzles, auto platforming and was too too short. It was a flash in the pan to get the series back on the radar but that's not saying much after AOD.

Their second attempt with Anniversary was great but it wasn't exactly their original work; they were simply re-creating something that came before.

Then we have Underworld which showed signs of promise but ultimately fell way short of what it could have been. Plus, throughout all 3 of these titles, Crystal attempted a more story driven TR and it was received poorly.

So here were are again, "rebooting" the franchise for another attempt, going off in what seems to be a new direction. With their track record (game and PR wise), it's not hard to imagine why some are skeptical.

Then we have Underworld which showed signs of promise but ultimately fell way short of what it could have been. Plus, throughout all 3 of these titles, Crystal attempted a more story driven TR and it was received poorly.

Underworld is one of my favorite games this gen...but I'm probably in the minority there.

Looking forward to this.

patapuf

I'd say TR fans are justified in their skepticism. Crystal already attempted to "reboot" the franchise once with Legend and while it did okay, it was still not a very good Tomb Raider game. Far too easy, linear, too much action, simplistic puzzles, auto platforming and was too too short. It was a flash in the pan to get the series back on the radar but that's not saying much after AOD.

Their second attempt with Anniversary was great but it wasn't exactly their original work; they were simply re-creating something that came before.

So here were are again, "rebooting" the franchise for another attempt, going off in what seems to be a new direction. With their track record (game and PR wise), it's not hard to imagine why some are skeptical.

I agree to be skeptic about the quality of the game, the past Tomb Raiders weren't all that good. What annoys me is when people say: "Tomb Raider = Uncharted / Tomb Raider is going to be a super linear TPS", when neither track reckord nor the description of the devs suggest this. I should just ignore it but somehow i can't.

Top Bottom