• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Game Informer Info [Update 2: Multiplayer Jobs (Co-op/PvP) Post 892]

There are base camps in the game. Here you can combine items to create something new and access a skill system to upgrade Lara's abilities. You'll also be able to use base camps to fast travel to different locations to minimize backtracking.

fast travel??? so which is it? realism where you walk all over the island, or fantasy shortcuts? not liking this, and the foood and water system better WAAAAAAAAAAY more simplified than mgs3, hated hated hated having to go in the menus every damn time,let me do it inr eal time or not at all.

BowieZ

Banned
Well don't forget that in the original Tomb Raiders you needed to collect and use health packs. Well, I needed them at least :lol

Don't see much of a difference between finding random health packs lying around the place and finding and harvesting from random fuji shrubs or whatever grows in untouched overgrowth.

Anticitizen One said:
Im kinda tempted to start a "GAF Plays the entire tomb raider series" who would be interested?
I would be up for this, though I played II and III a year ago.

Salaadin

evil solrac v3.0 said:
fast travel??? so which is it? realism where you walk all over the island, or fantasy shortcuts? not liking this, and the foood and water system better WAAAAAAAAAAY more simplified than mgs3, hated hated hated having to go in the menus every damn time,let me do it inr eal time or not at all.

Could be both, maybe? I dont know. We'll have to wait and see.
It could end up being something like Just Cause 2 where you can fast travel to certain areas but only AFTER youve been there. Or like Risen where a certain objective has to be met before being able to fast travel to certain areas.

And I dont think any current gen game is going to adopt MGS3s menu based system. It was trashed 6 years ago and till be trashed even more know. Crystal Dynamics isnt stupid enough I hope.

NZNova

This really looks like it could be the RE4 of the Tomb Raider franchise, like someone already said. Looks awesome so far, consider me officially hyped.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Kittonwy said:
She was fucking unattractive, like a blown-up doll, that's the problem with lara for the longest time.
I wouldn't say no if legs and an ass like that suddenly decided to use my face as a chair. Just saying.

Kittonwy

Banned
Lyphen said:
I wouldn't say no if legs and an ass like that suddenly decided to use my face as a chair. Just saying.

It'll probably smell like piss, like a urinal. Just saying.
Indifferent2.gif

Yoshiya

Crystal Dynamics: 'We made the character more vulnerable to enable character growth, and more realistic proportions to take her out of the 90s and target the more mature audience of today.'

GAF: 'Do you think it would smell if she sat on my face?'

ArjanN

evil solrac v3.0 said:

Fast travel is not neccesarily unrealistic if it's a time skip. In an Indiana Jones movie you don't see Indy sitting in a plane for 12 hours, you just see a red line move across a map for a couple of seconds.

The progression system might be like metroid/batman aa, but if they have food and water systems the world has to be a lot bigger than Batman Arkham Asylum or it'll be kind of silly.

evil solrac v3.0 said:

It seems like the fast travel is optional. The majority of open world games have a fast travel option. These worlds are getting bigger and bigger, so they need to have fast travel locations in order to not turn off some gamers.

Kittonwy said:
How did I make it worse. Lara is a strong independent woman.
Indifferent2.gif
I gave this thread a little while to get back to some semblance of sanity and this is what I get for my troubles.

*exits stage left*

methinks this is Uncharted related sabotage

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
NullPointer said:
methinks this is Uncharted related sabotage
Beat this with my girlfriend today, massive sigh of relief. If there's one thing they could learn from Uncharted 1, it's not to be anything like it. The direction they're taking now sounds excellent.

As for fast travel, I hope they have sporadic random encounters between jumps to keep you on your toes. Game should be constantly threatening.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I like Tomb Raider and Uncharted games... crazy, I know.

edit: :lol :lol :lol Dennis that pic, good laugh before bed.

Stallion Free said:
The issue is when you start imagining that they are in the same genre.
Yeah, and I really don't mean or want to derail. Two great franchises, and I love em both.

As far as this new info goes, give me some gameplay videos because being a Tomb Raider fan all these years has meant plenty of ups and downs already.

Cruzader

Banned
I NEED SCISSORS said:
The in-game version doesn't look quite as bad. In fact, it's one of the best character models this gen. Took some shots -

pics

Wow art style seems really dated....simplistic character model doesnt help. Hoping new game has more detailed character.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Cruzader said:
Wow art style seems really dated....simplistic character model doesnt help. Hoping new game has more detailed character.
Those are fairly mediocre shots, try playing the game yourself on PC, 1080p, 16xAA, 60 fps on a solid plasma. Shit looks downright incredible.

Uncharted is like a Tomb Raider game on autopilot. It solves all the puzzles for you and just has you play the action parts.

I'm a fan of both series

Grisby

Oh man, can't wait for the new GI to come in. I think this is the first time I've ever been excited for that magazine. Not saying it's bad mind you, they've come a ways after their relaunch.

Hell of a cover.

UrbanRats

I think people keep comparing the two games, just cause of the setting.
I bet if put both on wireframe and no plot, almost no one would compare them.

Grisby said:
Oh man, can't wait for the new GI to come in. I think this is the first time I've ever been excited for that magazine. Not saying it's bad mind you, they've come a ways after their relaunch.

Hell of a cover.

wheres your avatar from? it looks like a trailer for hte new tomb raider game

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
please be good, please be good, please be good

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Stallion Free said:
Those are fairly mediocre shots, try playing the game yourself on PC, 1080p, 16xAA, 60 fps on a solid plasma. Shit looks downright incredible.
I dunno. Regardless of image quality, I'd still find that character model's exaggerated facial features pretty distracting. I never liked Lara's "stylized" design, especially in her modern games. So odd-looking.

Grisby

Anticitizen One said:
wheres your avatar from? it looks like a trailer for hte new tomb raider game

:lol Yeah as others have its from that. One of the best launch trailers ever IMO.

Top Bottom