• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Reboot 3 - What do you want?

HOLY SHIT HYPE RESTORED!

This series NEEDS a new pair of hands. Hopefully a new developer will do something new Also, are Eidos Montreal the devs of Arkham Origins? Because that was the best Batman game. Though at the same time they also stuck very close to the established formula which doesn't fill me with confidence for a big change.

No, that's WB Montreal. Eidos Montreal makes Deus Ex and Thief.

Loxley

#1 - I want to play a Lara Croft who can fire two guns whilst doing a backflip. Is that so hard?
#2 - Despite the above request, overall lessen the focus on combat, at least with cliche gun-toting mercenaries.
#3 - For Crystal Dynamics to get over their bizarre fetish of making Lara survive six-story falls every 15 minutes.

Crystal Dynamics have created two solid Uncharted copycats, but much like DOOM, I would love to see a new entry in the franchise that isn't afraid of the series' roots. And while I'm glad that Lara has been made to be a tad more 3-dimensional lately, I do miss the more brash, cocky aspects of her character from the older games.

Remove the pointless side-quests that slowed the pace of RotTR to a crawl.

Make the upgrades useful.

Make the combat more challenging.

Remove the Metroid-vania elements to allow for multiple locations.

Include a stage that consists solely of flashing neon lights that say 'LARA', so people can finally get her god damned name right.
Lmao

I agree with all of this though tbh.

Aske

I love the current Tomb Raider just as it is. My wishlist is limited to things like wanting the writers to significantly improve on the story next time, add dual wielding pistols and uzis with the ability to fire at two targets at once, Devil May Cry style...A Croft Manor level. More elaborate ways to hunt: the ability to set snares for animals; and traps for enemies using the environment. Be careful not to go too Arkham with it though - right now the stealth feels like its own thing. More Tombs and puzzles that feel less tacked on. They should be interwoven into the meat of the game more strongly. Set a good chunk of the game in the UK and Europe.

But yeah, mostly I'd just like more of the same. I'm replaying the first game right now (Definitive Edition) and love it even more than I remembered.

Kraq

I remember finishing the Syria section then going back to Siberia and immediately hating the game again. Syria was the best part.

Yeah, I was hyped that we'd see a lot more of Syria as you could do a fantastic story with the thousands of years of history of that region. There was also barely any gunplay too and it was mostly just figuring out the puzzles.

Shame it ended after 40 minutes.

I personally love the games as they are, and think they're much better than Uncharted.

what I would like to see:

- More complex tombs.
- Warmer climate. Something tropical.
- Return of dual pistols and more attires that are throwbacks to the original games (though we don't need to hot pants to return).

HOLY SHIT HYPE RESTORED!

This series NEEDS a new pair of hands. Hopefully a new developer will do something new Also, are Eidos Montreal the devs of Arkham Origins? Because that was the best Batman game. Though at the same time they also stuck very close to the established formula which doesn't fill me with confidence for a big change.
Arkham Origins was WB Montreal.

Edit: Already covered, I see.

Valonquar

Other characters that Lara can interact with that feel like real characters and not just someone else to be captured/lost/die that I really have no reason at all to care about.

Poona

Keeley Hawes.

Other characters that Laura can interact with that feel like real characters and not just someone else to be captured/lost/die that I really have no reason at all to care about.

It's Lara.

Laur in Laura sounds like floor, door, core, etc.

Lar in Lara sounds like car, par, far, etc.

patapuf

Classic lara would need some serious work. Would it make sense to say a new Lara being a super toned down Bayonetta? Take out all her dumb sexy poses but that general attitude.

I mean, if they keep the current design and give her back some attitude/arrogance/confidence that's pretty much all they need to do.

Besides having a decent (or a very minimalist) narrative for once.

plidex

No, getting a Tomb Raider game with good story and dialogue is what's impossible...

I don't think so. It only takes hiring someone who knows how to write. What you want is never going to happen because it's not caused by talent, is caused by decisions. They don't want to make the game that you want.

nkarafo

A full game similar to the optional tombs of the previous games.

More secrets, without stupid "secret nearby" messages.

Less running through a crumbling thing.

No military bases.

Less shooting.

Fewer side characters.

Less writing and cutscenes. Lara wants to explore some ancient temple to retrieve an ancient thing. That's good enough.

Explore Lara's home. As you progress through the game, stuff is added. Kinda like the Ghostbusters game.

Yopis

Enjoyed the game also. Hope the third finishes this darker take. Have all of the TR games like them all for different reasons.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
If they take the game to Egypt, it will look like a joke compared to Tomb Raider 4 The Last Revelation.

I understand, that like Skyrim, to say that most gaffers aren't enamored with the new Tomb Raider franchise, would be an understatement...

But we can we like...not pretend that they aren't massive critical successes? Look up TR4 reviews and compare them to Rise's.

A return to wisecracking, adrenaline junky Lara, that's in it for the thrill, not to prove Daddy right, or for anyone other than herself in fact.

Less combat, no boring endless collect-a-thons, more tombs, puzzles and platforming.

Dual wielding pistols. I love the bow, don't get me wrong, but the dual pistols are Lara's trademark weapons.

Her iconic look. Modernise it if you must, because gods know we can't have a positive female character that's also in any way associated with sexuality, but at least make it a clear evolution of her original design, not just boring generic explorer garb costumes 1 - 50.

More overt mysticism. Having just completed the Baba Yaga DLC,
the cop out plot of it just being a hallucinogenic flower made the entire thing seem like a waste of time, and vastly less exciting or compelling than her actually having wasted the real ancient, powerful, magic wielding witch.

A new, ideally actually British voice actress. Or just get Keely Hawes back.

Multiple locations in varied environments. A proper globe trotting adventure. Also showing the UK with weather other than wet and miserable.

Gestault

The more I read "true Tomb Raider fans" describe the game they think they want, the more I understand why the series' original iterations died horribly in both sales and critical reactions.

I want exploration, item collection, and parallels between characters and the fallen societies being unearthed. I want more physical puzzles and potentially some logic puzzles. Get rid of every quick-time-event. For the most part, I think the two most recent Tomb Raider games are the best the series has ever been.

Lime

Less shooting
Less explosions
Less cutscenes and boneheaded attempts at a narrative
Less crying and moaning and "you'll want to protect her" design philosophy

More puzzles
More platforming
More atmosphere
Minimalist storytelling
More restraint and subtlety in both game design and narrative

No more stupid rpg leveling crap, rote sidequests, or weapon upgrades.

Lots of big ass tombs and they are the main focus.

Dual pistols and gymnastic flipping combat. Throw the bow and arrow away The Hunger Games is over and no one likes Katniss anymore.

Make Lara either shut up or be badass Lara Croft again.

Stop changing her damn face.

LET ME EXPLORE CROFT MANOR DAMMIT

Less of a collect-a-thon, less repeated dialogue of her speaking to herself about being able to do something, less bad guys- more animals and elements.

Well this is certainly new. Do you think Uncharted is violent?

uncharted is incredibly violent. the biggest criticism the games get narratively is that drake being a mass-murderer by body count doesn't gel with what the story scenes show you. it may not be a gory as some things, but that doesn't invalidate the astonishing number of people getting slaughtered.

Village

They're not, although Crystal Dynamics isn't doing the third one, but Eidos Montreal. It's rumored that it's going to focus on horror elements more, but that's all we know for now.

If that means also the super natural shin, i'm IN.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
The approach to level design needs to go back to being one big puzzle. It wasn't so much that there were more puzzles in the levels. It was that navigating your way through the level WAS the puzzle.

SephLuis

A Tomb Raider game, not an Uncharted game.

I haven't played the old ones, but this.

I recently finished Rise of the Tomb Raider and I'm surprised how my opinion of the game soured over time. There's a variety of problems:

- Remove all cinematic moments. They don't fit well with the narrative or the gameplay inside these new Tomb Raider. On regular gameplay you have control at all moments and having times where this control is removed from you is horrible.

Uncharted blends this better with it's own gameplay and is much better at pacing. Tomb Raider does this so suddenly that I ended up not caring and annoyed at cinematic sections.

- For a survivor without resources, Lara is a freaking tank. You get too many guns, weapons, attachments, abilities and you're too strong overall to the point combat is boring. The level design being more open that Uncharted is great but the enemies are also much, much dumber.

- Platforming, exploration and puzzles are mostly fine and the better parts of the game, but they need to increase the difficulty on these.

-Hire a better writer. Seriously. Lara, as a character, is extremely boring to the point you do not care about anything happening in the plot.

A proper Tomb Raider would be nice, the latest was pretty shit. Decent tombs, interesting places to crawl into and Talos Principle-like puzzles.

A return to wisecracking, adrenaline junky Lara, that's in it for the thrill, not to prove Daddy right, or for anyone other than herself in fact...

Yup! I've suggested elsewhere (here and here) what RagnarokX has been highlighting for quite a while: the characterization of Lara by Crystal Dynamics (like the characterization of Samus Aran by Nintendo/Sakamoto in Metroid: Other M) leaves a lot to be desired.

...When Crystal Dynamics took over [with Legend in 2006, long before the reboot], for whatever reason, they decided Lara couldn't just WANT to be an adventurer. She needed something forcing her to do all this stuff. They changed her backstory so that her father was a famous adventurer, too, so she's just following in daddy's footsteps. And her reason for going on these adventures is because her mommy disappeared in the plane crash in the Himalayas and she wants to find her...

http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/lara/old_bio.html
CORE DESIGN BIO: "...He remembered Lara from his lecture - her incessant yet insightful questions had made quite an impression upon him... Her Himalayan odyssey was both miraculous and enlightening, as the young woman not only survived, but gained a perspective on herself and the world that made her past appear shallow and naive. Out of the darkness of her ordeal, she saw her future reflected in a different light. She felt profoundly that there was more for her in this life than the coddled existence that had become her numbing habit. She realized that she was only truly alive when she was travelling alone. Over the eight following years she acquired an intimate knowledge of ancient civilizations across the globe. Her family soon disowned their prodigal daughter, hoping she would wed The Earl of Farrington. She turned to writing to fund her trips. Famed for discovering several ancient sites of profound archaeological interest and gaining some notoriety for having slain an actual Bigfoot in North America, she made a name for herself by publishing travel books & detailed journals of her exploits. Lara Croft became the seeker of truths, both large and small, and in that pursuit she continues to this day."

http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/lara/info.html
CRYSTAL DYNAMICS BIO: "...At the age of nine she survived a plane crash in the Himalayas that took the life of her mother. In perhaps the first story of her prodigious indomitability, she somehow survived a solo ten-day trek across the Himalayan mountains, one of the most hostile environments on the planet. The story goes that when she arrived in Katmandu she went to the nearest bar and made a polite telephone call to her father asking if it would be convenient for him to come and pick her up. For six years following the plane crash, Lara rarely left her father's side, traveling around the world from one archeological dig site to another. During this period she was ostensibly given a standard education from private tutors, but it would probably be more accurate to say she was her father's full time apprentice..."

Classic Lara Croft is still one of the best game characters... Her passions, resources, and abilities are ones that are fun to (pretend to) have. It's unfortunate that a lot of people can only see her as an object. I don't think it is specifically lacking vulnerability that makes her so great, it's that she is the kind of person who sets up a huge obstacle course to practice on. That's just awesome, and shows how much she enjoys what she does. With that as a foundation there is still room for fear or vulnerability...

Classic Lara... had been disowned by her elitist aristocrat parents because she wanted to travel the globe and raid tombs rather than marry some wealthy high-society guy. She [had] many admirable qualities like independence, confidence, strength, intelligence...

It would be nice if Lara's adventures were (in greater measure) initiated and sustained by her own curiosity, ambition, wit, insight, ingenuity, empathy, sophistication, intelligence...

OG Laras characterisation [by Core Design] was rich girl thrill seeker, which is certainly a tropey type of character, but not one you usually see in a contemporary setting [given that the closest analog is probably] Amelia Earhart types of the 1930s...

From a purely visual perspective, I completely agree that the re-imaginary was a much better and much more believable design that actually seemed realistic to various degrees. Before this visual reboot, it was pretty evident that Eidos back in the day took the character of Lara Croft and used her as a means to market the games with cheap titillation in order to appeal to straight boys / men with disposable income. (Sidenote: the character was originally supposed to be South-American, but Eidos decided against it and made her a White Brit instead). Yet, as evidenced in many different testimonies by girls and women (such as this research article, or Latoya Peterson & her documentary series on Girl Gamers), Lara Croft was an important character to them in their childhood despite of the obvious sexual objectification in marketing (this is not me condoning the sexual objectification, just nuancing how players use games to their own end).

Look at how popular she was at her height... People definitely liked the character, and not just because she was marketed as attractive...

ElfArmy177

I agree with a ton of this. With that being said, rise of tomb raider was the best uncharted game I've played. Though.. I do love uncharted too.

I want old Laura back though.

-I want dual wielding pistols

-back flips

-difficult jumps

-no human fucking enemies

-underwater exploration

-Actual tombs... Like fake tombs that don't really exist... Like Atlantis and shit (real tombs aren't as intricate as old tomb raider)

-ability to dive into water or not water and break Laura's neck because I've missed a jump 6 times and I blame her so.. fuck her she gets her neck broke.

-story: croft is a rich bitch who collects shit. She wants a new shit she heard about. In a tomb, with skeletons, ghosts and shit.

-Take your enemies with guns and shove it CD

-T rex

-traps that don't go "hey trap ahead", but instead you get hit in the tits with a blow dart and fall into a spike pit... So you retry

-No press x or a a bunch to break something.. cause that's boring.

-keep the metroidvania feel.. only limit it to tombs. For example- you got midus's dong, use it to turn xyz into gold, which is useful for.. something. I dunno

That's all.

A cross between Witcher 3 and Far Cry 3 in terms of open world, travel where you want, when you want. More rpg depth, crafting, skills, weapons, vehicles perhaps.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
-Tank controls!
-320 x 240 resolution with an unlocked 15-20fps framerate!
-Clipping and flickering polygons everywhere!
-Save crystals!

dLMN8R

I have a strong feeling that everyone complaining that the new Tomb Raider is "too Uncharted" hasn't actually played the new Tomb Raider.

Especially Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Because I've played all four mainline Uncharted games, and maybe I'm mis-remembering, I've never played an Uncharted game with a huge open world with massive areas to explore and secrets to find, fast travel, abilities you can upgrade, new equipment which opens up new traversal like a Metroidvania, etc.

Complain about the new Tomb Raider games all you want - there are plenty of things in it which could be improved of course - but if your only complaint about the new Tomb Raider is that it's "too uncharted", then you're never going to be happy because you're complaining about something which literally doesn't even exist.

* Intense, puzzle based exploration, requiring careful jumps
* Drastically reduced focus on combat. It should be with animals and other supernatural elements, not tons of humans too

I want it to be like Tomb Raider

As much a s I enjoyed Rise, probably all the same things I wanted after the first game. More tombs, much deeper puzzles, more actual intricacy to exploration and movement. I liked the first games smaller hubs on the island more than the really larger hubs in the second game too, a bit smaller with more atmosphere would be appreciated.

That said, I do really like the last two games and I'd settle for more of the same if need be. Started playing TLG today though and I love the proper clambering platforming around these huge ruins with puzzles that happen across multiple rooms etc all with this obscure lore being told environmentally. Not a bad touchstone to be honest.

ROTR is the weirdest game I have ever played. It's a game that seems like it should be great, but ends up becoming incredibly boring. For my part, I would say add some linearity to the series and ditch most of the survival and collectable side activities... I understand why Square chose to open the world up, but outside of discovering tombs -which could easily be worked into levels anyway- the more open world just detracted from the overall experience.

nynt9

Excise all the fat.

- no shop
- no pointless side quests
- cut 80 to 90% of the collectibles
- more multi-tiered tombs tied directly to the story
- bring back the punchy and satisfying combat of TR2013
- Bring back the improved stealth of Rise

This. ROTTR felt like the worst example of AAA design by committee. Way too many irrelevant features that just pad the game out instead of adding anything to the game, and it all feels soulless. They should either streamline it and make it more like Uncharted if they wanna go the cinematic route, more like old TR if they wanna go the exploration route, or just make an open world survival based game. This odd mix of "hey let's add this too" just doesn't work.

valeu

I want it to take place in multiple locations....mostly modern cities, modern military bases, deserts, giant underground tombs, any environment but not forests. we had two games that were essentially the same - forest with summer slider on, and forest with winter slider on. she's proved she can survive in the wilderness, now send her to shanghai

Lime

I have a strong feeling that everyone complaining that the new Tomb Raider is "too Uncharted" hasn't actually played the new Tomb Raider.

Because I've played all four mainline Uncharted games, and maybe I'm mis-remembering, I've never played an Uncharted game with a huge open world with massive areas to explore and secrets to find, fast travel, abilities you can upgrade, new equipment which opens up new traversal like a Metroidvania, etc.

Complain about the new Tomb Raider games all you want - there are plenty of things in it which could be improved of course - but if your only complaint about the new Tomb Raider is that it's "too uncharted", then you're never going to be happy because you're complaining about something which literally doesn't even exist.

On a micro-level and a more specific analysis they obviously are very different, but their general genre conventions and design philosophies are incredibly similar after they rebooted the game into a by-the-numbers AAA game:
  • Heavier emphasis on covers and shooting (human) enemies
  • Much heavier emphasis on cinemaic presentation in the form of cutscenes and actors
  • Heavier reliance on scripted sequences and setpieces that would (magically) explode
  • Simplification of puzzles and more automated platforming
I agree that the Tomb Raider AAA reboot also borrows heavily from the Arkham and Assassin's Creed type of design conventions, but I don't think it's controversial to say that the Tomb Raider reboot resembles the Uncharted series, at least in principle. Frankly, it's blatantly false to say that their similarities "literally don't even exist".

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Because I've played all four mainline Uncharted games, and maybe I'm mis-remembering, I've never played an Uncharted game with a huge open world with massive areas to explore and secrets to find, survival and upgrade systems, etc.

Playing RotR now and just finished a replay of U3 last week(all the other games within the last year).

All those elements are largely superfluous in TR. The skills largely don't factor into the core progression unless the player wishes to have a bit of an added advantage in direct combat(More health! More ammo! Faster reload! Stealth does an instant kill instead of damage!) Sidequests and exploration largely leads to resources and xp which merely serves to continuing this gameplay loop for combat upgrades.

Ultimately, Rise is JUST as linear as any Uncharted game but with w-i-d-e-r corridors. There is no open world, just a few large rooms with which to backtrack across as you are pushed from setpiece explosion to setpiece explosion. These are not hubs either as you aren't choosing progression like a Mario painting. You are forced to follow the -only- waypoint and play optional cleanup for collectibles and xp at your discretion. The narrative dictates progression just as you unlock tools(ie. progression keys) by means of cutscenes and not out of service to exploration.

I am fine with it, but its really not far removed at all from Uncharted, just an illusion that it is.

Remove the pointless side-quests that slowed the pace of RotTR to a crawl.

Make the upgrades useful.

Make the combat more challenging.

Remove the Metroid-vania elements to allow for multiple locations.

Include a stage that consists solely of flashing neon lights that say 'LARA', so people can finally get her god damned name right.

lmao!

dLMN8R

Playing RotR now and just finished a replay of U3 last week(all the other games within the last year).

All those elements are largely superfluous in TR. The skills largely don't factor into the core progression unless the player wishes to have a bit of an added advantage in direct combat(More health! More ammo! Faster reload! Stealth does an instant kill instead of damage!) Sidequests and exploration largely leads to resources and xp which merely serves to continuing this gameplay loop for combat upgrades.

Ultimately, Rise is JUST as linear as any Uncharted game but with w-i-d-e-r corridors. There is no open world, just a few large rooms with which to backtrack across as you are pushed from setpiece explosion to setpiece explosion. These are not hubs either as you aren't choosing progression like a Mario painting. You are forced to follow the -only- waypoint and play optional cleanup for collectibles and xp at your discretion. The narrative dictates progression just as you unlock tools(ie. progression keys) by means of cutscenes and not out of service to exploration.

I am fine with it, but its really not far removed at all from Uncharted, just an illusion that it is.

There is literally a fast travel system where you can go to any previous area in the game, at any time, often because of metroidvania-esque things where you're accessing previously inaccessible areas.

Lime

HOLY SHIT HYPE RESTORED!

Eidos Montreal had troubles releasing Deus Ex: Human Revolution (before Square Enix acquired EIDOS), then the studio released the Thief reboot in 2013, and then in 2016 they released Mankind Divided, which also had some rocky development. I'm not sure the series is in good hands as such.

Let's hope they hired some new animators though, because Eidos Montreal's output has not been meeting contemporary AAA standards for a long time.

Gestault

Much heavier emphasis on cinemaic presentation in the form of cutscenes and actors

Lime, I can see some of where you're coming from, but that "cut-scenes and acting" bullet point is just so vapid it makes your whole assertion weaker. Modern games feature story scenes with actors. The cinematography styles don't even have much overlap considering ways it would make sense to. You really need to clarify that.

Top Bottom