• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomorrow is a pretty exciting day for VR - Rumours and hopium

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
I haven’t been following vr news for a while, will wireless be a thing now for quest 3 (game running from pc)? If so how good is it?

Buggy Loop

ws79op9nkvqb1.jpg

Is the Gaffer who announced confidently (and without evidence) that VR has already achieved mainstream status with Quest 2, still around?

Wonder if they've had a chance to reconsider....it is getting more popular but it ain't mainstream yet...
Define mainstream

PSVR2 has lower count of subpixels than a Quest 2, 110 FOV diagonal, not horizontal, tethered

and

fresnel lenses with some of the narrowest sweet spot in the history of VR headsets

puke GIF

No thanks

Can you clarify the difference between diagonal and horizontal FOV? I’m not too familiar with that kind of stuff. A higher number for which one is better?

Last edited:

hlm666

Can you clarify the difference between diagonal and horizontal FOV? I’m not too familiar with that kind of stuff. A higher number for which one is better?
Diagonal is the longest side of a right angle triangle (triangle with a 90 degree corner). You see where this going? so a fov measured on the longest side (diagonal) will be bigger than the one measured along the horizontal or vertical.

No eye tracking? Lol.

$500+ for a slight resolution and performance bump? Lmao.

I can't see this thing having anything near the success of Quest 2 at $500. I have a Quest 2 and have played the same handful of games on it for years now, but mainly use it now to watch videos in the void when I'm high. Absolutely no fucking way I would pay $500 for such a slight upgrade. As it is I've got a pile of old headsets sitting in a box. What a letdown. I'm perfectly fine sitting this iteration out. Maybe there's another tech company out there working on a sub-$1000 headset so I can finally ditch Meta, who I loathe as a company.

Thought PSVR2 has a very narrow “sweet spot”due to Foveated rendering implementation?
No that has nothing to do with the foveated rendering implementation. The small sweet spot is because of the lenses themselves. You as a player don’t ever see the foveated rendering happen a single time, it’s literally invisible to the eye.

Some reviews early on said it was not working because they couldn’t see any lower quality pixels on the screen 🤣🤣🤣, which is exactly the whole point of the technique together with eye tracking.

StereoVsn

No that has nothing to do with the foveated rendering implementation. The small sweet spot is because of the lenses themselves. You as a player don’t ever see the foveated rendering happen a single time, it’s literally invisible to the eye.

Some reviews early on said it was not working because they couldn’t see any lower quality pixels on the screen 🤣🤣🤣, which is exactly the whole point of the technique together with eye tracking.
Hmm…. Going to have to dig up those reviews. Could swear people said they were seeing worse quality at the edges, but maybe they was indeed lens design.

Hmm…. Going to have to dig up those reviews. Could swear people said they were seeing worse quality at the edges, but maybe they was indeed lens design.
Yep it looks worse at the edges at all times, with and without foveated rendering because it’s the lenses 100%

Zones

Uh Huh Yes GIF

We're all waiting for massive PSVR 2 success
And what makes you think Quest 3 will be a resounding success?

Based on the limited sales data we have, anything above $300 price point is a hard sell to most people when it comes to VR, so a Quest 3 at $500 (which doesn’t sound like a big upgrade at least on paper) may not be anywhere near as a big seller as its predecessor.

Hope I am wrong though.

pachura

I've skipped Quests 1 and 2, but I will probably get the Q3.
Pancake lens, free IPD adjustment, 2 screens, decent sweet spot, decent resolution, decent FOV, probably improved AirLink via WiFi 6e and AV1 codec support...
Granted, they are missing exclusive games and often send updates that break things, but at least there are media players on this platform :)

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Naw, it’s not that huge of a deal. Foveated is mostly a solution on fresnel lenses mostly, the narrow sweet spot and the garbage outer perimeter makes it not too noticeable on fresnel lenses. Pancake lens clarity kind of makes foveated a lesser experience.

For performance, that’s greatly exaggerated, on Quest pro, which has eye tracking. Fixed FFR vs eye tracking is like a 5% difference because you can be more aggressive on the drop in quality, but not a game changer compared to what’s been used for over a decade with a fixed foveated rendering.

Dm1Nkzq.png

No eye tracking is a downer for biofeedback aspect and AR to have an Apple vision like experience mostly.

Meta didn’t do anything cool with the quest pro eye tracking so.. I think they thought it’s not ready yet for whatever project they have, or too costly.

But I would take pancake lenses over eye tracking with fresnel lenses every day of the week. I ain’t buying a fresnel lens headset ever again, I’ve been on that ever since Oculus DK 1. Enough is enough with that shit.

Stand-alone wise, this headset’s snapdragon gen 2 processor has ML. A kind of DLSS upscaling in the headset will increase performances way more than ETFR.
ETFR isn't just about making games run faster than FFR, it's about a massive improvement to perceptual resolution. It isn't just dialing back the peripheral view, it's dialing up what you're looking at and creating the illusion of the game running at higher resolution while also saving performance.

SF Kosmo

Standalone vr sucks for gaming. Shitty looking graphics and heavy emphasis on shit that nobody cares. Pcvr was great but the quest 2 was a huge steoback, the infamous Wii vr that is used a few times tgs and becomes a door stopper.
The last part is where you lost me. Quest did better in terms of sustained adoption by orders of magnitude compared to PCVR.

VR has always suffered from churn rate on every platform, people who get it, love it, and stop playing it. But that's a content problem and we all know it.

Chukhopops

Standalone vr sucks for gaming. Shitty looking graphics and heavy emphasis on shit that nobody cares. Pcvr was great but the quest 2 was a huge steoback, the infamous Wii vr that is used a few times tgs and becomes a door stopper.
I would trade better graphics for better mobility / lack of tether every day of the week. And based on Quest sales I think many others do.

It’s a complete game changer when you don’t have to think about the cable.

Zug

Looks like a good headset but why throw 700€ at it when the last significant AAA PCVR games are SkyrimVR and HL:Alyx, with nothing on the horizon ?
Cyberpunk, Starfield, BG3, these games could make a great use of VR, Rift1 has been out for a while now but the software offer is as lacking as ever.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
ETFR isn't just about making games run faster than FFR, it's about a massive improvement to perceptual resolution. It isn't just dialing back the peripheral view, it's dialing up what you're looking at and creating the illusion of the game running at higher resolution while also saving performance.
All the tech is heading in the opposite direction to this though. Temporal upscaling, frame generation - all rely on data from previous frames that isn't really there with ETFR. Nvidia dumped VRSS, of course they also dumped DisplayPort over USB-c so Nvidia support isn't a definitive measure of if something is good or not but they know the best way to maximize performance.

PanzerCute

PSVR2 has lower count of subpixels than a Quest 2, 110 FOV diagonal, not horizontal, tethered

and

fresnel lenses with some of the narrowest sweet spot in the history of VR headsets

puke GIF

No thanks
It took 15 seconds to my 8 year old nephew to find the sweet spot.

First world problem.

I would trade better graphics for better mobility / lack of tether every day of the week. And based on Quest sales I think many others do.

It’s a complete game changer when you don’t have to think about the cable.
Psvr 2 has a single cable, when I'm playing many times I don't even remember that it's there. No way I would trade much better resolution and graphics for mobile looking graphics just because of a single cable. Look at RE 4 for example, a gamecube looking game vs a modern remake with stunning graphics, yeah I don't think so

Romulus

Psvr 2 has a single cable, when I'm playing many times I don't even remember that it's there. No way I would trade much better resolution and graphics for mobile looking graphics just because of a single cable. Look at RE 4 for example, a gamecube looking game vs a modern remake with stunning graphics, yeah I don't think so

I don't think most people looking for great graphics are not buying quest 3 just for standalone. They probably have a PC, and the quest 3 has higher resolution and better lenses than most headsets, pushing PCVR games but having a solid mobile option for travel basically anywhere.
The new Quest 3 could easily run re7 at higher than psvr1 ps4 specs, so it's getting there. We'll probably see some insane ports people don't expect on mobile.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

I respect that of course.

To me, when the cable is constantly in the way as I rotate and I need to use stick correction (when it’s even possible) to re-align myself with the only good spot where it stays behind my head I find it annoying and way more immersion-breaking.

When you remove that it improves the experience a lot. And if you really want to, you can still tether a Quest to a PC but you can’t un-tether a wired headset.

I respect that of course.

To me, when the cable is constantly in the way as I rotate and I need to use stick correction (when it’s even possible) to re-align myself with the only good spot where it stays behind my head I find it annoying and way more immersion-breaking.

When you remove that it improves the experience a lot. And if you really want to, you can still tether a Quest to a PC but you can’t un-tether a wired headset.
My problem with the quest 2 is that completely screwed pc vr AAA games in favor of the quest hardware. So in theory, what's the point of being able to tether it to a pc if there is no more games coming out as before that can take advantage of pc hardware? Sure wireless would be better but it's one trade off vs a lot of advantages...

Romulus

My problem with the quest 2 is that completely screwed pc vr AAA games in favor of the quest hardware. So in theory, what's the point of being able to tether it to a pc if there is no more games coming out as before that can take advantage of pc hardware? Sure wireless would be better but it's one trade off vs a lot of advantages...

Mods.

I've played everything from Elden Ring to Cyberpunk to Half Life 2 in VR. Everyday there's something new being worked on.

Honestly I'd rather mods than couple AAA games per year.

Even uncharted 4 and the latest spiderman are working in VR.

Re2 remake was amazing with motion controls.

People think it's just flight and racing sims on pc, while we have those in spades too, it's just the tip of the iceberg.

Hell standalone ports and mods non pc are awesome on quest 2.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member

Lmao. Idiots.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Mods.

I've played everything from Elden Ring to Cyberpunk to Half Life 2 in VR. Everyday there's something new being worked on.

Honestly I'd rather mods than couple AAA games per year.

Even uncharted 4 and the latest spiderman are working in VR.

Re2 remake was amazing with motion controls.

People think it's just flight and racing sims on pc, while we have those in spades too, it's just the tip of the iceberg.

Hell standalone ports and mods non pc are awesome on quest 2.
Yea, PCVR will always be the best route due to those sweet sweet mods (that I don't have access to 😭)

Buggy Loop

Ah so THIS is why I have a hard time getting the PSVR2 in focus. It's got a sweet spot that if you move so much as a pixel off, the entire thing goes blurry.

It took 15 seconds to my 8 year old nephew to find the sweet spot.

First world problem.

See Magic Carpet Magic Carpet ? So helpful of a reply. Because everyone has the same head shape and eye distances, etc. "It woRkEd foR mE, aRe yoU dUMb??" equivalent reply.

See Magic Carpet Magic Carpet ? So helpful of a reply. Because everyone has the same head shape and eye distances, etc. "It woRkEd foR mE, aRe yoU dUMb??" equivalent reply.
I was the first in the house to try the PSVR2 and I thought I had a broken unit everything was so fuzzy. Then my 15 year old son tries it on and says it looked fine.
It takes me a bit of time fiddling with angles and such then when I find that 'sweet spot' I crank down the tightness till my forehead hurts. Because all it takes is a bit of jumping around in VR to move the headset ever so slighly into fuzzy land.

I wish the PSVR2 had an over the top of head strap that I assume would be more comfortable for me. I need to find one of these quest 3 kiosks in BestBuy or someplace and try before I buy.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Ah so THIS is why I have a hard time getting the PSVR2 in focus. It's got a sweet spot that if you move so much as a pixel off, the entire thing goes blurry.
Do you still have a PSVR2 headset? If I remember, I'll make a short video after work and send you the link explaining/showing how I put on the headset.

PSVR2 is a strange beast but once I realized how the thing should be worn, it never gets uncomfortable and the sweet spot is always dialed in. It's seamless now and takes mere seconds. Granted, some games are still fuzzy but that's the developers. Few games really take advantage of the headset unfortunately.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Would the above be good for both PC VR and playing for long hours on my router, or in house? I think it should work both in a PC and just in the mains right?

Do you still have a PSVR2 headset? If I remember, I'll make a short video after work and send you the link explaining/showing how I put on the headset.

PSVR2 is a strange beast but once I realized how the thing should be worn, it never gets uncomfortable and the sweet spot is always dialed in. It's seamless now and takes mere seconds. Granted, some games are still fuzzy but that's the developers. Few games really take advantage of the headset unfortunately.
Yes I have both the PSVR1 and PSVR2. The PSVR 1 I dont have the same issue finding any sweet spot. I think the PSVR1 uses different type of lens, I don't know. but I find it much easier to just put on and play compared to PSVR2.

But the PSVR2 is a much better unit once I get everything 'dialed' in and set just right.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

All the tech is heading in the opposite direction to this though. Temporal upscaling, frame generation - all rely on data from previous frames that isn't really there with ETFR. Nvidia dumped VRSS, of course they also dumped DisplayPort over USB-c so Nvidia support isn't a definitive measure of if something is good or not but they know the best way to maximize performance.
These technologies are going to be an important part of gaming and graphics in general, but they don't necessarily play real nice with VR just yet because the latency demands are so high. Almost no games support DLSS in VR (Maybe No Man's Sky and Firmament?), so I don't think we're really there yet.

Danknugz

Quest 3 at Meta connect :

Already unboxed

Charging dock?
r8Xn3b5a1ZvMD_D7dukq7i2ivpdTkeKIkOgyMQDBiCk.png

Did you see this Assassin's creed VR trailer from 4 days ago? I sure didn't

Leaked spec sheet.

vfv0bdhet0qb1.jpg

$499 for 128GB

18 PPD, 18 pixels per degree. Quest 2 had 20 PPD and Quest pro 22 PPD. This raises a lot of eyebrows but there's so many factors in PPD that can change the number to be lower and not to be like visually a negative is that, it could be that it has a single panel, unlike Quest pro which had two, so dead space in the center brings this down. Or higher FOV brings down PPD.

Speaking of which, this rumour,

Site was taken down (too soon?) and archives reveals these details :

- This article seems like it hadn't been finished being edited and probably wasn't supposed to be released at 3am September 27th. It mentions that the Quest 3 *was* unveiled at Connect on September 26th, U.S. time. I think they got the date wrong, even for the U.S., because the first stream goes live on the 28th in Japan time, 10am PST on the 27th in the U.S.
- Release date October 10th, 128gb version 78000 yen ($501.92) and 512gb version 96800 yen ($649.55).
- Memory is 8gb
- It claims the display is a 小型の有機ELパネルとなった, a "small OLED panel." It also mentions a Horizontal FOV of 110 degrees and a vertical FOV of 96 degrees.
- It claims that those who buy the 128gb model will receive the full version of Asgard's Wrath 2 (presumably not a demo) (a 5990 yen/$40.20 value), and those who buy the 512gb version will receive both Asgard's Wrath 2 and a 6 month subscription to Meta Quest+ (worth 13190 yen/$88.52).

IybPcWZ.jpg

Reminder :
Rift CV1 87.95 horizontal, 89.66 vertical
Rift S 88H 94V
Quest 1 104H 100V
Quest 2 104H 98V
Quest Pro 106H 95.5
VIndex 108H 109V
So a tad above Index on horizontal, but similar to Quest pro vertically. If true, i'll take it!

OLED? 110 FOV? Asgard wrath 2 included?

Interested Season 10 GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

Although OLED doesn't make sense with pancake lenses so probably bullshit article. Maybe they removed because they were not ready to finish editing and they're waiting on tomorrow's connect.

HOPIUM TIME

Happy Mood GIF by Pudgy Penguins

DECKARD?

Valve release the biggest SteamVR update in ages this monday

Valve is radio silence on VR since Alyx launch and now of all the days in a year, they break silence a few days before Meta connect?

Remember this tweet from Counterstrike 2 twitter?

Well SteamVR 2.0 promo image also included CS2

50ni25cn7mqb1.jpg

Does Valve have the balls to drop Deckard the same day as Quest 3's big unveil?

Take with a grain of salt all of the above. But to me this is exciting. PCVR has been DORMANT.

i don't believe the 110 fov until it's been tested by actual real people with a real video and actual evidence.

Danknugz

Well the most important development in vr over the past years I’d say is the foveated rendering with eye tracking. It’s really a shame it’s assumable it will not be present in the Q3.

All the other stuff I would say is off slightly less importance. And I think any headset that doesn’t do foveated rendering with eye tracking is vastly inferior because you leave extremely much power on the table.
that would be more the case if the foveated rendering is handled natively by the headset and applies to everything run on it, instead of having to rely on developers to choose whether or not to implement it in software like psvr2 does.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Yes I have both the PSVR1 and PSVR2. The PSVR 1 I dont have the same issue finding any sweet spot. I think the PSVR1 uses different type of lens, I don't know. but I find it much easier to just put on and play compared to PSVR2.

But the PSVR2 is a much better unit once I get everything 'dialed' in and set just right.
Word. Yea, I'll make a quick video for you, might help. I know I've gotten so much more enjoyment once I realized how to actually wear the thing. It used to be legit painful after like 45 minutes, felt like my head was being squeezed in a vice.

that would be more the case if the foveated rendering is handled natively by the headset and applies to everything run on it, instead of having to rely on developers to choose whether or not to implement it in software like psvr2 does.
Exactly, should be standard driver function.

Great Q...a mass market device with 10+ killer apps that a large proportion (30-40%) of consumers of electronics products want to experience. And are also willing to invest in upgrades by continuing to purchase new generation devices.
yeah my vibe on the word is just that everyone knows about it and it sold ton of units. I do think the q3 will sadly be more niche because the price so that's gonna trend down probably.

Top Bottom