• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tons of Silent Hill Fi--I mean, Silent Hill: Homecoming screens

Danielsan

Geek said:
From the same scene? :(

silent-hill-homecoming-20080425095443234.jpg

It's crazy how they've lowered the character detail. From this hair:
silent-hill-5-20080228094115977.jpg

To this:
silent-hill-homecoming-20080425095449546.jpg

... is a terrible indicator. I was really giving The Collective the benefit of the doubt, but the fact that they're talking up the combat system--about which I couldn't give a fuck--and the bland presentation, I am losing faith at an alarming rate.
Someone please please tell me that the new screenshots are from a Wii version. These kind of textures are unacceptable on the 360/PS3, heck they are almost unacceptable for PS2. That second shot is how the game should look.. :(

Kittonwy

Banned
oo Kosma oo said:
Yeah, I doubt they want to make it suck so much. Poor Konami too, destroying such a loved franchise. I blame MGS4.

I played Obscure on the Wii the other day, and I swear to god it looked almost as good from a technical point of view, but as far as art goes it looked way better.

MGS4 is done by Kojima Productions/KCEJ West which has nothing to do with KCET aka Team Silent/Team Iga/Whatever else crap happens at Konami.

Kosma

Banned
Kittonwy said:
MGS4 is done by Kojima Productions/KCEJ West which has nothing to do with KCET aka Team Silent/Team Iga/Whatever else crap happens at Konami.

Don't they share the same budget somewhere, they must. So if KCEJ is slurping up the money someone shortens the leash on KCET funding?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Kittonwy said:
I feel bad for them, it must be demoralizing to read a thread like this.

I know, but if a game which is 5-6 years older developed on a much weaker platform does manage to look that much better than a game developed now on two much more powerful consoles (40 MB of RAM vs 512 MB, much faster CPU and GPU, etc...) then there is something wrong with your game and calling customers, which you ultimately want to pay money for your game, picky and ungrateful would not seem the right reply to give them.

Konami must pull another SH: Origins: delay this Silent Hill game 6-8 months if not a whole year as they are clearly running into some major problems with the current game.

Kittonwy

Banned
oo Kosma oo said:
Don't they share the same budget somewhere, they must. So if KCEJ is slurping up the money someone shortens the leash on KCET funding?

I don't think Kojima would ever share his budget with Iga or Team Silent to begin with, it's not his fault if Yamaoka wanted to farm Silent Hill out to a non-AAA western studio whose last "horrawr" game was BUFFY, they neither knew how to make great graphics nor they knew how to make things scary.

Kittonwy

Banned
Panajev2001a said:
I know, but if a game which is 5-6 years older developed on a much weaker platform does manage to look that much better than a game developed now on two much more powerful consoles (40 MB of RAM vs 512 MB, much faster CPU and GPU, etc...) then there is something wrong with your game and calling customers, which you ultimately want to pay money for your game, picky and ungrateful would not seem the right reply to give them.

Konami must pull another SH: Origins: delay this Silent Hill game 6-8 months if not a whole year as they are clearly running in some major problems with the current game.

I know, something is definitely wrong, especially given Silent Hill games aren't known for incredible draw distances, they really only need to concentrate on close-by buildings/objects and character models, I expected a current generation console Silent Hill game to look spectacular in those areas, but Silent Hill: Homecoming doesn't seem to be the case. I just wonder how good or bad the communication is between KCET and the western team and whether there's a breakdown in communication somewhere. Silent Hill games have always been a bit of a graphical showcase, and it looked decent when they first showed this game, what happened?

djkimothy

Perhaps the "Homecoming" moniker refers to coming back home to PS1 graphics. Eh? Eh?!?!?

I don't even think the soundtrack can carry this game. :(

Kosma

Banned
_leech_ said:

:lol :lol

Kittonwy said:
I don't think Kojima would ever share his budget with Iga or Team Silent to begin with, it's not his fault if Yamaoka wanted to farm Silent Hill out to a non-AAA western studio whose last "horrawr" game was BUFFY, they neither knew how to make great graphics nor they knew how to make things scary.

Hmmm well maybe the other way around?

I hope we find out someday. Until then I blame MGS4. I need to blame someone if this get greenlighted right?

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
I'm playing Siren demo right now, and it pretty much looks as good/better than this shit.

What the fuck happened?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Kittonwy said:
I feel bad for them, it must be demoralizing to read a thread like this.

Yeah, I can sympathize with the team. I always feel anxious before the first shots of whatever I'm working on goes online.

/waits for next week.

Ganondorfo

Only the ost will be amazing, because it's still done by yamaoke.

@developers collective: play silent hill 2 till the end, and maybe you will have inspiration for making this game much better (because now it doesn't look like a silent hill worthy game).

Ganondorfo said:
Only the ost will be amazing, because it's still done by yamaoke.

@developers collective: play silent hill 2 till the end, and maybe you will have inspiration for making this game much better (because now it doesn't look like a silent hill worthy game).

They kept saying in the interview that The Cure was doing the music. Also they said they are huge fans of the series. Just because they can't make gud grafeks doesn't mean they can't delivery a compelling game...hopefully.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
Mammothtank said:
They kept saying in the interview that The Cure was doing the music. Also they said they are huge fans of the series. Just because they can't make gud grafeks doesn't mean they can't delivery a compelling game...hopefully.

Wait. What?

Kittonwy said:

THAT is exactly why we are where we are now.

E.G. Yamaoka felt the series would benefit from foreign developers...

Vieo

You know, the sad thing is, if they would have just made Silent Hill DS with shitty 3D graphics, it would of cost 30x less and have been 30x more profitable.

Just saying...

Ceb

XHitoshuraX said:

I see people blaming this on Yamaoka all the time, but always without digging up an interview or something similar that could point to that actually being the case. He's got nothing to gain from outsourcing the development of SH5, and he is proably not high enough in Konami's hierarchy to call that kind of shot anyway.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
XHitoshuraX said:

uh...he was huge mistake

Yamaoka was the least important member in the original team silent , i don't know why he is the big producer now , After Toyama ( the original leader of the team ) and the six other member ( now at team siren ) left too , Masashi Tsuboyama , Masahiro Ito and Kazuhide Nakazawa were the core of the team and not Akira Yamaoka .

then i don't know what happend and how he gained all that power and become the leader of the team and the producer ( imagine if Koji Kondo is the producer of Nintendo EAD and not miyamoto :lol or Yoko Shimomura instead of Yoshinori Kitase at square it's crazy huh ? ) , it was huge mistake from Konami CEO i guess , now he abandoned the team that made him what he is today , and he thinks that western devs can make J-horror games better than japanese devs .

Revelations said:
Isn't it odd they pass a big franchise like Silent Hill off to a outsourcer when they made a internal team specially for it? And I still stand by my question, what else does Konami have other than MGS franchise? They cant afford to mess up the few that they do have. None of the shit you mentioned has worldwide appeal except for Castlevania. And even then its iffy if that series can make a profitable comaback to console.
Pro Evolution Soccer/Winning Eleven is a big money maker for Konami. Especially when theres a new version out every 6-12months.

Durante said:
Indeed.
Going from one of the very best looking last gen games to this is a disgrace. A number of graphical aspects actually look worse than the PC version of SH3, which was released 5 years ago.
silenth3pc_001-large.jpg

;_;
This pic needs to be requoted. SH3 was such an amazing technical accomplishment.
Just look at those pores/freckles, shadows, and hair; all done on the PS2 real-time

sub_zer0 said:
This pic needs to be requoted. SH3 was such an amazing technical accomplishment.
Just look at those pores/freckles, shadows, and hair; all done on the PS2 real-time

Let's not forget that Heather's the best SH protagonist ever.

Yeah, I said it.

Ceb

Totobeni said:
uh...he was huge mistake

Yamaoka was the least important member in the original team silent , i don't know why he is the big producer now , After Toyama ( the original leader of the team ) and the six other member ( now at team siren ) left too , Masashi Tsuboyama , Masahiro Ito and Kazuhide Nakazawa were the core of the team and not Akira Yamaoka .

then i don't know what happend and how he gained all that power and become the leader of the team and the producer ( imagine if Koji Kondo is the producer of Nintendo EAD and not miyamoto :lol or Yoko Shimomura instead of Yoshinori Kitase at square it's crazy huh ? ) , it was huge mistake from Konami CEO i guess , now he abandoned the team that made him what he is today , and he thinks that western devs can make J-horror games better than japanese devs .

Once again, back it up or it's just a paranoid conspiracy theory.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Maybe there IS something we don't know; working in game development myself I have a lot of trouble believing they had to scale back that much on the graphics, it was fine before (even if not great, you could tell they had good tech, the environments were just a bit empty). Considering what they showed back then, I don't think they're the kind of people who would suddenly be taken aback by some technical issue to the point where they would have to downgrade the game to sub PS2-levels. I think it's something else.

My guess is, seriously; they have been asked to make it 100% multiplatform for a simultaneous release (as in; possibly a Wii and PS2 version on top of the PS3/360 one), and since they probably have a very small team they can't afford to make two/three different versions on the game; they can't rework the streaming of data just for the Wii/PS2 version, the different number of triangles per version, the character's hair, etc.

It would be very difficult, if far into the production, to be able to make a game that appears to have two worlds in memory at the same time suddenly work for a system with much less memory, so the idea would be to save on the number of vertexes in memory (as in; reduce the number of polygons as much as possible) and shrink the texture size. Basically, the equivalent of reducing the game's polygon count and texture resolution by at least half.

And considering what we have seen, I'm almost 100% positive this is what happened because it seems to be a sudden and rushed downgrade. I wouldn't surprised if after this backlash, Konami backs away and tells the team to delay the Wii/PS2 version and focus on the PS3/360 till they are done (ideally, it would just be a question of reverting some of the data back).

We'll see.

yoopoo

Banned
BS, the Wii user isn't a hardcore user. Silent Hill is hardcore. Hardcore game without the hardcore user makes no sense.

AY: We're making Silent Hill 5 for next-gen consoles. Are there any other platforms besides that? [laughter]

WN: There's the Wii.

AY: Ah, the Wii. Wiiiiiiiiii... Silent Hill Wii. Can we do it? Will players like it?

WN: Yeah! There's a lot of potential there, using the remote as a flashlight, or a knife...

AY: Yeah, there's potential.

WN: But no plans.

AY: No plans. The Wii user isn't a hardcore user.
http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/10/interview-silen.html

Ether_Snake said:
Maybe there IS something we don't know; working in game development myself I have a lot of trouble believing they had to scale back that much on the graphics, it was fine before (even if not great, you could tell they had good tech, the environments were just a bit empty). Considering what they showed back then, I don't think they're the kind of people who would suddenly be taken aback by some technical issue to the point where they would have to downgrade the game to sub PS2-levels. I think it's something else.

My guess is, seriously; they have been asked to make it 100% multiplatform for a simultaneous release (as in; possibly a Wii and PS2 version on top of the PS3/360 one), and since they probably have a very small team they can't afford to make two/three different versions on the game; they can't rework the streaming of data just for the Wii/PS2 version, the different number of triangles per version, the character's hair, etc.

It would be very difficult, if far into the production, to be able to make a game that appears to have two worlds in memory at the same time suddenly work for a system with much less memory, so the idea would be to save on the number of vertexes in memory (as in; reduce the number of polygons as much as possible) and shrink the texture size. Basically, the equivalent of reducing the game's polygon count and texture resolution by at least half.

And considering what we have seen, I'm almost 100% positive this is what happened because it seems to be a sudden and rushed downgrade. I wouldn't surprised if after this backlash, Konami backs away and tells the team to delay the Wii/PS2 version and focus on the PS3/360 till they are done (ideally, it would just be a question of reverting some of the data back).

We'll see.

That makes perfect fucking sense.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
And I'm pretty sure it's what happened not just because of the current graphical situation the game is in (which matches the overall idea that the game had to be more or less chopped in half graphics-wise), but also makes sense considering how Konami is sort of in a tight spot right now with MGS4 being exclusive and having been extremely costly.

I'm pretty sure that having the game being developed by a small Western studio was not AY's idea (altho there is no reason why he should be against the idea, many Japanese studios want to do the same); Konami is getting the game made for cheaper by giving it to a team that needs a better portfolio, which means the team is likely paid less or doing with less (as far as team-size or budget goes) than Konami itself would have. They'll make the game on the cheap because if they can do it then they'll have more leverage with publishers; "We made Silent Hill 5", that means something for a small development house.

But now Konami must have pushed them to the limit, asking them to suddenly make a Wii and/or PS2 version (and trust me, that is typical of big-publisher small-developer attitude), because Konami wants to see lots of money this year. The company's share prices have been doing nice this year, I doubt they want to see it fall under high development cost with limited sales.

Whatever the case, Konami should leave the team finish the 360/PS3 version and then deal with the Wii version. RE4 managed to sell well on GC, then PS2, then Wii:p

Innotech

Banned
I always preferred RE over Silent hill. But regardless, even by Wii graphical standards this would be shit. Especially the water. And the complete and utter lack of any splash effects. I mean seriously the gamecube and Ps2 had better effects than that, and Im not even a graphics whore. I have to say though, Silent hill makes me really want to visit Centralia, Pennsylvania.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Innotech said:
I always preferred RE over Silent hill. But regardless, even by Wii graphical standards this would be shit. Especially the water. And the complete and utter lack of any splash effects. I mean seriously the gamecube and Ps2 had better effects than that, and Im not even a graphics whore. I have to say though, Silent hill makes me really want to visit Centralia, Pennsylvania.

But it would be understandable if you were asked, by the time you've reached beta on actual next-gen hardware, to suddenly make a Wii/PS2 game with no team or time to make a separated version. Trust me, unless it was made by a really big dev studio; this would be the exact result. 100% sure about it.

NeonBlade

Banned
I blame it being multi-platform. I'm dead serious, should've been a Ps3 exclusive where the collective would've been allowed to focus on vastly immeasurably superior hardware.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
NeonBlade said:
I blame it being multi-platform. I'm dead serious, should've been a Ps3 exclusive where the collective would've been allowed to focus on vastly immeasurably superior hardware.

PS360 would have been fine. Or, maybe this is a result of starting to port it to PS3:p But I doubt it.

Innotech

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
But it would be understandable if you were asked, by the time you've reached beta on actual next-gen hardware, to suddenly make a Wii/PS2 game with no team or time to make a separated version. Trust me, unless it was made by a really big dev studio; this would be the exact result. 100% sure about it.
if there is a Ps2 version I could see it downgraded like this. but even then its WAY below even the capabilities of that console, let alone the wii. This is pretty damned inexcusable and looks like some sort of shovelware game for wii/Ps2. I mean look at Obscure Wii:
Obscure-wii-11.jpg

Hell I bet fatal Frame 4 looks better than this. Even Re4 wii did. what the hell?

Lobster

Banned
silent-hill-homecoming-20080425095443234.jpg

holy shit at the textures on those bricks :lol

this game would be ripped apart if it was on Wii too.

edit:His jacket is fucking terrible.

We need old guy gif.

Kittonwy

Banned
Ceb said:
I see people blaming this on Yamaoka all the time, but always without digging up an interview or something similar that could point to that actually being the case. He's got nothing to gain from outsourcing the development of SH5, and he is proably not high enough in Konami's hierarchy to call that kind of shot anyway.

He's the producer of the series, why wouldn't he be high enough to call the shots?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Innotech said:
if there is a Ps2 version I could see it downgraded like this. but even then its WAY below even the capabilities of that console, let alone the wii. This is pretty damned inexcusable and looks like some sort of shovelware game for wii/Ps2. I mean look at Obscure Wii:
Obscure-wii-11.jpg

Hell I bet fatal Frame 4 looks better than this. Even Re4 wii did. what the hell?

It is a question of team-size, sudden request, and time! Not difficult to understand. RE4 was a port of a game already released (and already ported).

Kittonwy

Banned
Totobeni said:
uh...he was huge mistake

Yamaoka for some reason became the face of the series and I don't really know why, while I enjoyed Yamaoka's soundtrack, creatively Toyama and Sato probably did more for the series than Yamaoka ever did.

Innotech

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
It is a question of team-size, sudden request, and time! Not difficult to understand. RE4 was a port of a game already released (and already ported).
it cant take that much time to make a better texture. Look at the dudes jacket. thats N64 quality texturing. Just ridiculous. Hell the dreamcast has better textures than that.

Kittonwy

Banned
Ether_Snake said:

We'll see.

That's your theory? Still it's not like the PS2 can pull off that kind of geometry, I think maybe the development was just a clusterfuck and they had to downgrade in order to obtain a decent framerate.

Echoes

Dever said:
Damnit OP, why didn't you post the hilarious vagina face monster? :lol

silent-hill-homecoming-200804250954.jpg

Nice water physics too. Looks like they're stuck in ice.
Holy shit. This looks like Jelly!

I'll be waiting for the real Silent Hill game, from the real developer. Man, I bet they're so sad that they're great series had been butchered like this.

Top Bottom